Author Topic: lonestar's Top 50 Albums v. The Soundtrack of My Life-Honorable Mentions....  (Read 48345 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: lonestar's Top 50 Albums v. The Soundtrack of My Life...
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2012, 03:29:11 AM »
So Nem, I take it you're quite fond of the Floyd?  ;D

As someone who goes by "floyd", this is fine by me :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2012, 03:46:18 AM »
Nem: No joke :)

b_f: :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2012, 03:51:37 AM »
 :lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2012, 04:06:46 AM »
:blondemoment:

Yes!! I am extremely certainly absolutely fond the the Floyd :zydar:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2012, 04:46:49 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2012, 05:27:55 AM »
:blondemoment:

Yes!! I am extremely certainly absolutely fond the the Floyd :zydar:

Seems to me there is many blonde moments happening to you Nem. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2012, 05:54:45 AM »
Nem's just being in denial...  :loser:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2012, 06:23:30 AM »
Btw, so far, ALL great choices, Chef!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2012, 07:42:07 AM »
Brilliant update!!!!!

I've always believed that there's a strange connection, a creepy relationship with this album and myself... I look at my watch, almost every day exactly at 21:12... Also 2112 is the date that is engraved on my wedding ring... although it wasn't the date we got married... I asked then hubby-to-be and he said yes.. he knew he was marrying a weirdo :)

anyways... the thread is on a really nice track chef... we're all having fun... keep it up...

Thanks for the insight Nem. Kinda spooky you mention the time thing, I dated this girl a while back that had an obsession with 11:11. Would always point it out to me when it was that time, and chatted incessantly about it. The obsession passed on to me, now I notice it almost every day. :lol

All ready knew about your deep love for Pink Floyd. :)

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm having a blast. You will notice this list getting a bit more focused now as I head into the albums that just plain own me, the ones that painted my soul over and over, and that I will never let go.......

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2012, 07:47:05 AM »
Brilliant update!!!!!

I've always believed that there's a strange connection, a creepy relationship with this album and myself... I look at my watch, almost every day exactly at 21:12... Also 2112 is the date that is engraved on my wedding ring... although it wasn't the date we got married... I asked then hubby-to-be and he said yes.. he knew he was marrying a weirdo :)

anyways... the thread is on a really nice track chef... we're all having fun... keep it up...

Thanks for the insight Nem. Kinda spooky you mention the time thing, I dated this girl a while back that had an obsession with 11:11. Would always point it out to me when it was that time, and chatted incessantly about it. The obsession passed on to me, now I notice it almost every day. :lol

;)

so now let's see what will come above 2112 and Dark Side of The Moon  ;D

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2012, 08:03:17 AM »
OK folks, let's move on....

29-Mechanical Poet-Woodland Prattlers/Handmade Essence(2006)
So a bit less than a year back, Nem(obscure) and I started exchanging songs. Her library is much, much larger than mine, so I had to search for new stuff to surprise her with. This was the second best find of all those searches, an absolute magical gem. From a Russian trio, this is the hardest album for me to classify. It has prog, metal, industrial, folk, and a shit ton of other elements. It also has one of the greatest vocal performances I have ever heard, fom Max Samosvat, who left the band after this one debut album. It, and it’s companion Handmade Essence, are labeled as concept albums, but it is more of a whimsical journey around the forest, with Samosvat playing all of the creatures with deep emotion and intensity. It is that rare album that I can close my eyes and visualize the story, stage, setting, and characters perfectly.

“Needless, antiquated, feckless and outdated, I was welcomed like a king, and left as a broken dream.”

Suggested Songs:Old Merry Years Funeral, Stormchild, Handmade Essence, Natural Quaternion

For a more in depth look, you can read my full review of this album here...

28-The Who-Who’s Next(1971)
Easily their biggest release, Who’s Next I always felt was the pinnacle of what The Who was capable outside of the concept album arena, and even then, this album was the product of Pete’s initial attempts to get the Lifehouse concept down. At the heart of the album are two perennial rock and roll powerhouse songs, Baba O Riley and Won’t Get Fooled Again. These songs are fucking rock staples, period. Behind these two are many other great songs, some of which show Pete really coming into something different and special, the songs tied into the Lifehouse, The Song is Over and Pure and Easy, these to me are simply beautiful tracks. Then there is the haunting Behind Blue Eyes, a killer of a song by any standard.

“Except in one note, pure and easy, playing so free like a breath rippling by”

Suggested Songs:Baba O Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Won’t get Fooled Again, Bargain

27-Marillion-Misplaced Childhood(1985)
Man did I fall for this one when I first heard it. First heard in my senior year of high school, I think this album can take full credit for putting the death blow to my rebellious metal head phase. I spent the next five years deeply immersed into finding all I could about prog(a hard trick when there was no internet).  As I gathered up their discography, I realized I had found one of their best first. All aspects of the band were maturing brilliantly at this point, they were starting to hit on all cylinders. Fish’s lyrics jumped to a new level on this, way up from previous efforts on Fugazi and Script, his storytelling was finding it’s groove. Just an amazing album, amazing.(fun fact-this is the only album I own on vinyl, found it at a street fair for five bucks and had to get it, now hanging on my wall)

“And it was morning, and I found lots of mourning for a childhood that I thought had disappeared.”

Suggested Songs:Kayleigh, Blind Curve, Childhoods End?, Heart of Lothian
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:18:19 AM by lonestar »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2012, 08:06:11 AM »
I still haven't listened to that Mechanical Poet album. I need to give it a chance. The other two I'm not really interested in
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »
Dates added to the last two updates, sorry bud, I'm trying to remember.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »
Never heard of Mechanical Poet so now I am on the hunt!

Who's next part of the great 3 albums in a row by The Who.

Missplaced Childhood is a top 20 for me.  Saw them play it live in full backing up Rush on the Power Windows tour.  how's that for a double bill?!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2012, 08:51:06 AM »
Who's Next: Amazing album, perhaps my very favourite by them.

Misplaced Childhood: Great album indeed.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2012, 08:59:37 AM »
As you know, I bought Mechanical Poet sounds unheard purely on your recommendation.  I've only gone back to it a couple of times, but it gets better with every spin.  Might have to listen to it again this afternoon.

Who's Next ... I firmly believe 1971 had the best year of record releases with respect to Classic Rock.  And of course, being born that year doesn't bias my opinion at all.  Fantastic album

Misplaced Childhood... something I only discovered a couple of years ago, and haven't spun it enough to appreciate it that much.  Nothing wrong with it, just that - especially now - prog metal is what tickles my fancy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
Wasn't the biggest fan of the Mechanical Poet song you showed me in the roulette, but Who's Next is, of course, a fantastic work.

Haven't heard the Marillion album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2012, 10:54:48 AM »
I still haven't listened to that Mechanical Poet album. I need to give it a chance. The other two I'm not really interested in

Here's a sample of their stuff...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhH72VbHhXg

This song is told from the perspective of the old year on New Years eve, I think what got me as much as the music was just the brilliantly colored imagery of the whole album, almost unique.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2012, 11:06:40 AM »
I see this Misplaced Childhood album pop up here way too often. Time to listen to it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
That's very different from Creepy Tales for Freaky Children. I see why you like it and I'll listen to it some more  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »
I see this Misplaced Childhood album pop up here way too often. Time to listen to it.

It's not bad, but I think that Clutching at Straws is far superior.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »

It's not bad, but I think that Clutching at Straws is far superior.

I'm not sure I would say far superior, but I do like Clutching at straws better.

That's very different from Creepy Tales for Freaky Children. I see why you like it and I'll listen to it some more  :tup

Yeah, the original singer left after that first album, kinda took the vibe of it with them. I haven't listened to that one, but I have Who is Michelle Waters? and Elsydeon, both good, but nothing close to Woodland Prattlers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »
Who's Next is the only Who album I ever bought in my life. I got it on cassette in junior high. I think I traded it for AC/DC's If You Want Blood.
It is a classic though.

I have Misplaced Childhood. Bought it within the past year.
 I actually still have the 45 of Kayliegh, which I did buy when it came out.
I also prefer Clutching At Straws.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »
Misplaced Childhood  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

You have to listen to it, Elite!!
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »
Not as familiar with Marillion as I should be, they're really good. :blush

Who's Next is :2metal:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #200 on: September 03, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »
Love Misplaced Childhood. God that kid on the cover looks like me as a kid. I do prefer CAS too, but this is a great album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »
Next update, I think this one will be a crowd pleaser....

26-Yes-Relayer(1974)
Damn, what an album. Three tracks, all killer. Gates of Delerium has all the elements of a classic Yes epic, an inspiring beginning, a mindblowing instrumental middle, and a soul wrenching finish in Soon. Sound Chasers is a fun, upbeat track, darting in and out and all over the place with whimsy. Then there’s the big one, Awaken, quite possibly my favorite Yes song, it amazes me how much I love this piece. After about ten Yes shows, I finally saw Awaken live, truly a moment of completion for me.

“Like the time I ran away, turned around, and you were standing close to me.”

Suggested Songs: Gates of Delerium, Awaken

25-Dream Theater-Scenes From A Memory(1999)
Some of you might be thinking this is a bit low, but oh well, it’s my list. Musically, this thing is a masterpiece, and one of the best concept album intros I know of. The storyline never really got me though, I like stories I can relate to and get involved in, and this one just didn’t do it for me. The songs on the other hand, holy fuck. It’s pretty hard for me to single one out as not being totally awesome. I was fortunate enough to see this live, and it is a memory that sticks with me forever.

I just can’t help myself, I’m feeling like I’m going out of my head.”

Suggested Songs: c'mon man!!!

24-Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here(1975)
This album drips of beauty. Though good songs, I could give or take Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine, however the title track and Shine on You Crazy Diamond are two of the most beautiful songs ever written. Shine On is jaw dropping both lyrically and musically, one of those songs that stuns me even after hundreds if not thousands of listens, and Wish You Were Here never fails to make the eyes misty.

“Come on you boy child, you winner and loser, come on you miner for truth and delusion and shine.”

Suggested Songs: Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #202 on: September 04, 2012, 12:27:31 AM »
OK, since were a bit past the halfway point, here is the list so far....

50- Pete Townshend- All the Best Cowboys have Chinese Eyes
49- Montrose-Montrose
48- Demon- British Standard Approved
47- The Plimsouls- Everywhere at Once
46- The Kinks- Give the People What They Want
45- Pat Benatar- Crimes of Passion
44- Dream Theater- A Dramatic Turn of Events
43- The Who- Who Are You
42- Rush- Exit Stage Left
41- Blind Melon- Blind Melon
40- Styx- Pieces of Eight
39- Tesla- Five Man Acoustical Jam
38- Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin II
37- The Beatles- Abbey Road
36- The Who- Tommy
35- Triumph- Just a Game
34- Tool- Undertow
33- Fish- Fortunes of War
32- Metallica- Master of Puppets
31- Rush- 2112
30- Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
29- Mechanical Poet- Woodland Prattlers
28- The Who- Who's Next
27- Marillion- Misplaced Childhood
26- Yes- Relayer
25- Dream Theater- Scenes from a Memory
24- Pink Floyd- Wish you Were Here

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Great albums again: SFAM is my #2 DT album, and WYWH is great as well. Not my favourite PF album but it's up there.

Relayer though has only gotten a few spins from me, it seems like an overwhelming album. But I'll try to listen to it more.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
WYWH!  :heart

My favourite PF album by far. Though both Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine are awesome too, only less so than the other two tracks. I have only recently gotten into WYWH (the track) but it's a really beatiful song.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Great picks! WYWH is just behind Animals for my favorite PF

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Helluvan update sir!!!!

SFAM... my fave along with SDOIT and ToT!!!! Just like you said.. "It’s [impossible] to single one out as not being totally awesome." .. nothing's short of amazing!!!!

And.... Another awesome Pink Floyd album!!!!!! Again... I drooled over this album million times for million years...... You and I, though don't seem to agree on songs.. lol..  Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine are fuckin masterpieces!!!! Can't ever get enough of them!! Never!
Shine On You Crazy Diamond?? Hell yeah... I can never listen to it without getting goosebumps... 
Wish You Were Here, on the other hand... well don't wanna make anyone angry but... it's a meh song on Pink Floyd spectrum.... yes I went there!

Looking forward to the next updates  :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't rank WYWH as high as many of you seem to do because I only find Shine On and the title track to be awesome, the rest are just good IMHO.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jut noticed your sig Zy... Charlie Sheen of DTF?  :lol

damn true!!! :zydar:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni