Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 498012 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #7315 on: January 24, 2024, 02:14:18 PM »
Isn't the name "Rush" supposedly a reference to how you feel after you take cocaine?

Not cocaine specifically. Any “rush” you get when a substance (or thrill for that matter) hits your system. In fact, head shops used to carry this stuff in a small vial called “liquid rush”. You would sniff it and get a 2 or 3 minute high. But I think that stuff is illegal now.

In any event, the book seems to indicate that cocaine did not enter the camp until they got famous after 2112.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #7316 on: January 29, 2024, 02:06:42 PM »
how's everyone diggin' my effin' life? i think i might pick it up next after finishing my currentread
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7317 on: January 30, 2024, 08:13:42 AM »
how's everyone diggin' my effin' life? i think i might pick it up next after finishing my currentread

I really enjoyed it.  It was a little of a long read (some chapters droned on while others seemed to go by quickly), but I liked Geddy's perspective on life, the band and his family and how each intertwined with each other. 

It's probably my second favorite music autobiography behind Rob Halford's book. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7318 on: January 30, 2024, 06:58:30 PM »
I showed it on my YouTube channel a few weeks ago, as it was a gift I got for the holidays. I need to discipline myself to read books though, which I haven't done yet. It may be 6 months or more before I start really reading it. I did page through the 1st 20 pages though which I enjoyed.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7319 on: February 02, 2024, 09:30:05 PM »
So... I haven't started Geddy's book yet. Just waiting for the right headspace...

But I wanted to say..for all of the Power Windows joking around, Rush was on the ground floor of my musical roots. Where they went with their career wasn't something that I could ultimately stay latched on to on the whole other than a couple of pockets (Presto, Counterparts), but when I started my true musical journey around 1981, Rush was one of my favorite bands. Hemishperes, 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures are all foundational pieces of my experience.
All that to say that none of that has ever left me and I'm very excited to read the book.

I've had it since mid-November and I'm not done yet. (I'm trying not to read it.) Up to Power Windows (Page 337 of 512.) I thought the Steve Lillywhite comments would be revelatory but they really weren't. A bit more context on process of the producer search but not much. He's fairly candid about the relationship problems with his wife which was not completely known but he seems to be pulling a lot of punches about that and some other things.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7320 on: February 05, 2024, 09:44:07 AM »
So... I haven't started Geddy's book yet. Just waiting for the right headspace...

But I wanted to say..for all of the Power Windows joking around, Rush was on the ground floor of my musical roots. Where they went with their career wasn't something that I could ultimately stay latched on to on the whole other than a couple of pockets (Presto, Counterparts), but when I started my true musical journey around 1981, Rush was one of my favorite bands. Hemishperes, 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures are all foundational pieces of my experience.
All that to say that none of that has ever left me and I'm very excited to read the book.

I've had it since mid-November and I'm not done yet. (I'm trying not to read it.) Up to Power Windows (Page 337 of 512.) I thought the Steve Lillywhite comments would be revelatory but they really weren't. A bit more context on process of the producer search but not much. He's fairly candid about the relationship problems with his wife which was not completely known but he seems to be pulling a lot of punches about that and some other things.

"He" as in "Geddy" or "he" as in "Steve Lillywhite"?  I think you mean Geddy, but I don't know anything about Steve Lillywhite's involvement with Rush, so there's that.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7321 on: February 05, 2024, 10:30:57 AM »

"He" as in "Geddy" or "he" as in "Steve Lillywhite"?  I think you mean Geddy, but I don't know anything about Steve Lillywhite's involvement with Rush, so there's that.
The "he" is Geddy - I watched several of his speaking appearances on YT and he was pretty up front in acknowledging the issues he and Nancy had largely due to his career and always being on the road.

Steve Lillywhite was lined up to be the producer (co-producer?) of p/g but then backed out at the 11th hour to work with another band, which put Rush in a bind and (rightly) pissed them off.

I haven't gotten the book yet, but hearing that Geddy doesn't dig into the meat of the issue with Lillywhite is a bit disappointing. Not that I'm looking for dirt, but I got the impression that everything would be laid bare in the book about that situation since Geddy has admitted to being the kind of person to carry a grudge.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #7322 on: February 05, 2024, 12:13:47 PM »
I’m not sure there was too much else about that situation that isn’t pretty well known? I do know that Lillywhite has said in recent interviews that he didn’t really like Rush’s music and didn’t feel like it was the best band for him to produce or something along those lines.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7323 on: February 05, 2024, 12:26:07 PM »
I’m not sure there was too much else about that situation that isn’t pretty well known? I do know that Lillywhite has said in recent interviews that he didn’t really like Rush’s music and didn’t feel like it was the best band for him to produce or something along those lines.

This.

And Scotty, no, Ged didn't go into depth, but basically made it known that pissed them off. And that really is the crux of it. The guy backed out of doing the record, and screwed Rush, and Ged's gonna take that with him.

The other thing too is, as I've started to write a lot of these biography projects, what folks have to say about something, 40 years later, is sometimes very different than what they said at the time. But Ged's been pretty consistent that it's professionalism, or lack thereof, that pissed him off.

Rush experts can correct me, but that's how I've taken it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7324 on: February 17, 2024, 12:22:39 PM »

It wasn't just Lillywhite though you could say that incident started what would become the last difficult time they ever had making an album until Vapor Trails. Geddy did get into a bit more about how he was feeling during that period even if he didn't provide too many details that were unreported before.  Geddy doesn't come out an say this specifically but he did say Lillywhite had agreed to do it but changed his mind very quickly. (My guess is he did this after the first other job that became available.)

I'm now in the middle of the making of Hold Your Fire (Page 345 Less than 200 pages left to cover 35l of so years.) Guess the main thing so far I'm learning was the Geddy's domestic situation was way more serious than I thought. I got a general sense but the honesty and the rawness of his accounting of it is a little bit of a shock.  There's definitely a lot of regret there.  Geddy said during the tour that his wife did not want to read the book when he asked if she would. I wonder if she ever changed her mind.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7325 on: February 17, 2024, 12:32:52 PM »

The other thing too is, as I've started to write a lot of these biography projects, what folks have to say about something, 40 years later, is sometimes very different than what they said at the time. But Ged's been pretty consistent that it's professionalism, or lack thereof, that pissed him off.

Rush experts can correct me, but that's how I've taken it.

That's why I love going back to all of those earlier interviews.  Sometimes it's different and sometimes things are said in a different way through the lens of experience. It's a really cool dynamic.

What I've tried to me mindful of is my own perspective. Other than my own failing memory there's no objective (or even subjective) continuous document of what I may or may not have said/believe because Sauron's eye isn't looking at me as I'm just some rando.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7326 on: February 17, 2024, 10:38:58 PM »
I just came across this and I'm kind of into it. It's Natural Science pitched to D. It sounds surprisingly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnDbpLAZhW8
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7327 on: February 18, 2024, 11:22:15 PM »
I just came across this and I'm kind of into it. It's Natural Science pitched to D. It sounds surprisingly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnDbpLAZhW8

That just sounds wrong (beyond the vocals).

Not as drastic, but this reminds me of a time in the '80s when I bought a new turntable.  The first album I played on it was Permanent Waves.  TSOR started playing, and it sounded wrong.  It was pitched down and slow, and I eventually determined that it was only rotating at about 30.5 rpm.  I took it back to the store, and the guy was giving me crap about it.  He hooked it up and played some song by some band I'd never heard of (the band was called King, if I remember correctly).  I told him that I couldn't possibly judge a song I'd never heard of before.  He then told me that "33 1/3 is only an approximate number."  I called bullshit, and he finally relented and gave me a new turntable that worked correctly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7328 on: February 19, 2024, 10:13:04 AM »
That’s why it’s always a good idea to have a turntable with a strobe light check on the side, and a pitch adjuster. That way you always know you’ve got the right speed.

Offline HOF

« Reply #7329 on: February 19, 2024, 10:58:49 AM »
The news that Alex Van Halen has a biography coming out made me wonder if Geddy had any comment in his bio about Ray Daniels supposedly slagging Rush to Sammy Hagar when he became VH’s manager. I always wondered if that caused any tension in the Rush camp, but I never heard anyone from Rush comment on it and as far as I know he’s stayed their manager all this time, right?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7330 on: February 19, 2024, 11:01:32 AM »
The news that Alex Van Halen has a biography coming out made me wonder if Geddy had any comment in his bio about Ray Daniels supposedly slagging Rush to Sammy Hagar when he became VH’s manager. I always wondered if that caused any tension in the Rush camp, but I never heard anyone from Rush comment on it and as far as I know he’s stayed their manager all this time, right?

He never mentions that specifically, but he does criticize SRO (the management company Ray started) in a couple of places. But oddly enough, never Ray directly that I can remember.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7331 on: February 19, 2024, 12:57:56 PM »
That’s why it’s always a good idea to have a turntable with a strobe light check on the side, and a pitch adjuster. That way you always know you’ve got the right speed.

I don't know what a strobe light check is, but I doubt that stuff existed back then.  Problem solved when my last turntable when in the dumpster in 1997.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7332 on: February 19, 2024, 02:15:40 PM »

I don't know what a strobe light check is, but I doubt that stuff existed back then.  Problem solved when my last turntable when in the dumpster in 1997.

My daughter is getting into vinyl a bit now and I have to resist the urge to remind her that it sucked back then and it sucks now.  Not seeing the point.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7333 on: February 19, 2024, 04:24:17 PM »

Most professional DJ turntables have one. There’s just a series of rows of squares going around the outside of the turntable itself. A light shines on them and they are spaced in such a way so that when you are going exactly 33 1/3 the row of squares appears to stand still.

EDIT - and there’s a pitch adjustment wheel that allows you to slightly tweak the speed until it dials in just perfectly. I have two of them. I thought most turntables had them.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7334 on: February 20, 2024, 01:13:24 PM »

My daughter is getting into vinyl a bit now and I have to resist the urge to remind her that it sucked back then and it sucks now.  Not seeing the point.

Stads,

It does NOT suck. It's warmer. I know we've been around on this, but the sound is warmer and fatter, at least to my ears. It's also the while album experience. The big liner notes and cover art, sitting and having a beer and looking at and reading the liner notes, it's an experience. CDs, for my money, are the perfect for sound quality, and small enough ("compact") to be portable. They also resist damage better. But I adore my vinyl collection.

I made it a point when I got back into vinyl, that I'd only buy my favorite albums. I'm a first-day CD buyer of most music I love. But I won't buy vinyl unless it's something I know intimately and know I love it enough to invest that money in it, and then know I'll invest my time in appreciating it. If your daughter is doing that with vinyl, then applaud her.  :)  If she's wasting her money to just roll on a fad, well, then that's ridiculous.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7335 on: February 20, 2024, 01:28:39 PM »
Found a very short demonstration of the strobe light check.

https://youtube.com/shorts/DXV7v_q9pHc?si=Eucy5r5RKnWv53jP

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7336 on: February 20, 2024, 01:56:25 PM »

Stads,

It does NOT suck. It's warmer. I know we've been around on this, but the sound is warmer and fatter, at least to my ears. It's also the while album experience. The big liner notes and cover art, sitting and having a beer and looking at and reading the liner notes, it's an experience. CDs, for my money, are the perfect for sound quality, and small enough ("compact") to be portable. They also resist damage better. But I adore my vinyl collection.

I made it a point when I got back into vinyl, that I'd only buy my favorite albums. I'm a first-day CD buyer of most music I love. But I won't buy vinyl unless it's something I know intimately and know I love it enough to invest that money in it, and then know I'll invest my time in appreciating it. If your daughter is doing that with vinyl, then applaud her.  :)  If she's wasting her money to just roll on a fad, well, then that's ridiculous.  :lol

Well, it is "warmer", all things being equal.  But it's a trade off.   There's a sort of comic nostalgia on the "tick, tick, tick" of the warp that comes around every revolution.  There's the sort of comforting "tssssssssss" of the needle hiss as the record starts... but it's not something I want to hear every day in my listening.   The "warmth" is like 5% warmer, or 10% warmer, but the trade off of not hearing all that ancillary noise is like 50% better or 60% better.   My kid bought a Taylor Swift record from a pawn shop - chip off the old block!!! - and got it back and I had to teach her the "put a penny on the stylus" trick.   Not great for the record itself, but the record itself wasn't in the best condition to begin with, so there you go.

Look, I work on cars; and I restored my '90 Jeep using as much stock stuff as I could.  And my stepson was like "dude, you can put a brand new crate engine in there for $x hundred bucks!" and I'm like "but, no."   So I get it.  I do. And I'm not here to tell anyone else that they shouldn't get joy from this.  But it's not for everyone.   I much much much prefer my favorite albums like Clutching At Straws and Going For The One in the clean sound of digital.

EDIT:  I do want to say, though, that I agree with the intangibles.  I can remember putting on a record on my dad's stereo, with cool Koss headphones, and poring over the album jackets.   42 minutes was the standard and a perfect "dose" of music, IMO, and to some degree, we've lost that in the CD age, I agree.  But honestly, for that part, I was more married to cassettes, because that's what I listened to in the car.  Number of the Beast on one side, Piece of Mind on the other!   :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 03:02:57 PM by Stadler »

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #7337 on: February 20, 2024, 02:10:49 PM »
all those things you described you can make go away if you throw enough money at the turntable/sound system

i get your point, though
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7338 on: February 20, 2024, 02:16:43 PM »
I like the charm of vinyl, but it isn't worth the hassle to me.

I like crab legs, too, but they aren't worth the hassle either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #7339 on: February 20, 2024, 02:23:47 PM »
I love the way vinyl imposed a two acts album structure.

Also, but it's a very personal theory and probably just a coincidence, many acts I like had some kind of quality decline (or quality diluted in too many minutes available) during the transition to the cd format.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7340 on: February 20, 2024, 03:01:25 PM »

FACTS.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7341 on: February 20, 2024, 03:07:02 PM »
You know it, bro
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7342 on: February 20, 2024, 03:45:17 PM »

I agree with that.  The ONLY thing worthwhile about vinyl records has nothing to do with the records themselves - it's the jackets/sleeves.

EDIT - and there’s a pitch adjustment wheel that allows you to slightly tweak the speed until it dials in just perfectly. I have two of them. I thought most turntables had them.

The pitch adjuster seemed self-explanatory.  If I remember correctly, I owned two different turntables that were part of combo units and then probably two turntables that were separate components unto themselves.  Never once had a pitch adjustment wheel, although I'd occasionally play 33 1/3 records at 45 rpms just for shits and giggles.  When I was growing up, we had a giant console turntable/stereo system that also had 16 and 78 rpm settings.

Kinda how I feel about peanuts in the shell.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7343 on: February 20, 2024, 05:53:32 PM »

This should be carved on a tablet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7344 on: February 20, 2024, 06:31:37 PM »

This is how I've put together my vinyl collection. I only really ever buy records that I already love.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7345 on: February 21, 2024, 06:52:54 AM »

What makes you think it isn't?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7346 on: February 21, 2024, 08:28:11 AM »
I am shamed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7347 on: February 21, 2024, 08:28:37 AM »

I have it on good authority that it was, but the sight of a golden calf messed that up.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:13:14 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7348 on: February 21, 2024, 10:03:25 AM »

I have it on good authority that it was, but the sigh of a golden calf messed that up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7349 on: February 21, 2024, 10:11:18 AM »
I love History of the World: Part 1