Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497991 times)

Snow Dog and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #7280 on: January 06, 2024, 11:24:51 PM »
Interesting. I'd never heard that story before, but that is definitely it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online The Letter M

« Reply #7281 on: January 07, 2024, 12:09:42 AM »
Fun fact - Alex played the "Powerhouse" riff/melody during the atmospheric section of "By-Tor & The Snow Dog" before Hemispheres was recorded, so they were already thinking about that song years before "La Villa Strangiato".

Edit - found it, at 6:45 in the video here: https://youtu.be/CZS82iWQ-X8?si=boEaE0wPMRimA6S4

Turns out it's from 1977 when I thought it was from 75 or 76. Either way, seems like Alex had "Powerhouse" on the mind before "La Villa Strangiato" was written.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:18:30 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7282 on: January 07, 2024, 07:36:07 AM »
Nice catch.  That's definitely a version of the same riff.

Online HOF

« Reply #7283 on: January 07, 2024, 07:46:40 AM »
Fun fact - Alex played the "Powerhouse" riff/melody during the atmospheric section of "By-Tor & The Snow Dog" before Hemispheres was recorded, so they were already thinking about that song years before "La Villa Strangiato".

Edit - found it, at 6:45 in the video here: https://youtu.be/CZS82iWQ-X8?si=boEaE0wPMRimA6S4

Turns out it's from 1977 when I thought it was from 75 or 76. Either way, seems like Alex had "Powerhouse" on the mind before "La Villa Strangiato" was written.

-Marc.

Very cool!

Online HOF

« Reply #7284 on: January 07, 2024, 10:10:20 PM »
How weird, this video was just posted on the 3rd (regarding LVS and Powerhouse).

https://youtu.be/HDzSpLc5mRM?si=40qWB_novX3xdlmW

His video breaking down YYZ from a jazz perspective is really cool too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy8OV81VTQY
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 10:28:11 PM by HOF »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7285 on: January 12, 2024, 11:05:05 AM »
Came across this on Reddit:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7286 on: January 12, 2024, 12:10:18 PM »
"Neil" has also spearheaded our new "Computer" controlled inventory system.

What's with everyone's names in quotes?  These are their actual names, not nicknames.  And quotes around randomly "Capitalized" words?  The copy was written by an idiot.  No wonder "Neil" quit to join a rock and roll band.

Online HOF

« Reply #7287 on: January 12, 2024, 12:25:58 PM »

He is the priest of Dalziel Equipment.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7288 on: January 12, 2024, 12:43:23 PM »
I wonder if that great computer filled their hallowed halls.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #7289 on: January 12, 2024, 01:12:32 PM »

What's with everyone's names in quotes?  These are their actual names, not nicknames.  And quotes around randomly "Capitalized" words?  The copy was written by an idiot.  No wonder "Neil" quit to join a rock and roll band.
:rollin  At last we know the true reason that he tried out for Rush.  Frustrated with a failed attempt at a music career in "England," a young man resigns himself to returning "Home" and working in his father's "Store ". He thought he'd accepted his lot in life and could have been content, until the quotation marks drove him insane.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7290 on: January 12, 2024, 01:47:12 PM »
90% of the comments on the Reddit post are about either the quotation marks or "Bert" Guggenmoos.   :lol

Here's an interesting article featuring thoughts by "Glen" Peart about his "son's" time in the farm equipment business:  https://www.farm-equipment.com/articles/17512-glen-peart-tells-farm-equipment-about-son-neil-the-parts-manager-turned-rock-star
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7291 on: January 12, 2024, 02:07:21 PM »
Ok, the part about quoting "Bert" have some weight.  Someone in that reddit thread states that his actual first name is Engelbert.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7292 on: January 12, 2024, 02:28:10 PM »
That seems like a possibility, though a slim one.  But even so, why put everyone else's names in quotes, and also random words?  It still seems really amateurish to me.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7293 on: January 12, 2024, 02:37:57 PM »
Maybe people in the 1970s just didn't really care much for that detail in their printed announcements.

Online HOF

« Reply #7294 on: January 12, 2024, 02:51:04 PM »
Ok, the part about quoting "Bert" have some weight.  Someone in that reddit thread states that his actual first name is Engelbert.

Engelbert Guggenmoos. What a name!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7295 on: January 12, 2024, 02:54:17 PM »
Maybe people in the 1970s just didn't really care much for that detail in their printed announcements.

I grew up in the 70's.  It would have been just as stupid then.

Online HOF

« Reply #7296 on: January 12, 2024, 03:14:54 PM »
I think the idea with the quotations was just to add emphasis to the names and certain words. Maybe bold or italics were beyond their capabilities or something. As to why they wanted to emphasize those words, who knows, but that seems like what they were doing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7297 on: January 13, 2024, 03:59:40 PM »
Gotta say that I decided to buy the audiobook of MEL because I was flying to Daytona with a 3 hour layover in Charlotte, and I figured it would pass the time well.  I’m up to chapter 11 and I hope to finish most of it on the trip home.

Couple of things… I’ve been a huge Rush fan since 1982, and I’ve known of the 1812 Overture since I was 8. How did I never notice that Alex’s riff solo at the very tail end of Overture was a rip of famous ending of the 1812?  It’s in a slightly different key, but Geddy acknowledges it was intentional.

The other is the spin this book puts on Rutsey.  All previous things that I had ever read about their split from Rutsey made it sound like it was more for health reasons than anything else. But this book makes it sound like John didn’t like direction the band was going in, he could be very difficult from time to time, and also John was apparently instrumental in getting Geddy kicked out of the band temporarily, and it just doesn’t sound like Geddy ever felt that much of a camaraderie with him in the first place. Ultimately, the split sounded much more like there were other problems brewing and then John’s lack of ability and commitment to touring was the final straw.

Chapter 3 was brutal. A bit of a detour from the overall story, but I’m glad he left it in.

I always knew about 1812. But that was because that was that was where my first copy of 2112 would skip. Still expect to hear it skip sometimes when I play a CD.

With Rutsey it was a combination of health and musical differences. Additionally When this went down they were essential kids. Rutsey was a decent drummer.

it does seem that Geddy and Rutsey weren't the best of friends. Seems like a personality conflict. I always thought Ray Danniels was the guy that sacked Geddy but it seems to be Rutsey's idea which Danniels was more than willing to support.
I also didn't realize how much of abject failure the band was without Geddy and that he missed Jimi Hendrix to see the band play without him.  Previous to the book we had a bare bones account of that period.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7298 on: January 13, 2024, 04:03:56 PM »
Bubba Bash tonight in Philly!

Looked for you but didn't see you. I was last row dead center.

Did you notice the preshow music was the same as Geddy's book tour?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7299 on: January 16, 2024, 10:52:14 AM »

I did not, but I also didn't see the book tour, so not surprising!

Last year we were in a back corner, this year I snagged some 3rd row center tickets a day or two before the event, it was awesome!

Honestly it was such a well done show, some really cool songs, and it sounded great. The guy who played with the traditional grip from the Doobie Brothers was particularly awesome. I've been listening to Rush a lot since the show, and playing drums a lot more as a result as well.

Coming up on Saturday we're also seeing Lotus Land for the first time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7300 on: January 16, 2024, 11:51:22 AM »
That drummer used to play with Vertical Horizon as well, Nick. Ed Toth.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7301 on: January 18, 2024, 10:47:01 AM »
Finished Ged's bio last weekend. Really good read. I do feel he rushed through some periods, which I am guessing is the result of his editor and wanting to trim it down. I get that. Thankfully, other books give details on all the Rush nitty gritty when it comes to nerdy stuff about the recordings. But as for a memoir about Geddy's life, I felt it was done well. And it was also a part of my ticket purchase of seeing him do the book tour, so essentially, it knocks off $25 off that ticket price. All in all, this whole Ged memoir project, as a fan, was very rewarding to witness and read.

Given the contents of the memoir, particularly as he describes the future, I'm fine with that. I just want Al and Ged to play together again. It doesn't need to be called Rush. It could be Lee-Lifeson, where they play their solo stuff, Rush stuff, and whatever. But these guys are two peas in a pod, and I really hope they do more music together and tour.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7302 on: January 21, 2024, 11:28:26 AM »

I did not, but I also didn't see the book tour, so not surprising!

Last year we were in a back corner, this year I snagged some 3rd row center tickets a day or two before the event, it was awesome!

Honestly it was such a well done show, some really cool songs, and it sounded great. The guy who played with the traditional grip from the Doobie Brothers was particularly awesome. I've been listening to Rush a lot since the show, and playing drums a lot more as a result as well.

Coming up on Saturday we're also seeing Lotus Land for the first time.

Awesome to hear you got inspired!

How was it? Generally don't do the Rush tribute thing unless it's "especially special."

Didn't know anything about Ed Toth before either. Didn't know he was a fan.
I'm no fan of Limelight but Bittner damn near stole the show playing it. He set the bar for the rest of the show.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7303 on: January 21, 2024, 11:38:52 AM »
Finished Ged's bio last weekend. Really good read. I do feel he rushed through some periods, which I am guessing is the result of his editor and wanting to trim it down. I get that. Thankfully, other books give details on all the Rush nitty gritty when it comes to nerdy stuff about the recordings. But as for a memoir about Geddy's life, I felt it was done well. And it was also a part of my ticket purchase of seeing him do the book tour, so essentially, it knocks off $25 off that ticket price. All in all, this whole Ged memoir project, as a fan, was very rewarding to witness and read.

Given the contents of the memoir, particularly as he describes the future, I'm fine with that. I just want Al and Ged to play together again. It doesn't need to be called Rush. It could be Lee-Lifeson, where they play their solo stuff, Rush stuff, and whatever. But these guys are two peas in a pod, and I really hope they do more music together and tour.

The original manuscript is 1200 pages so I could understand the pacing problems.

I'm up to Exit...Stage Left. I've been savoring it.

A little more information about the future and some shop talk here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtgvqT_ZGHs

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7304 on: January 22, 2024, 05:38:29 PM »
Got my Geddy book today.  Holy shit it's 500 pages!  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7305 on: January 23, 2024, 06:59:25 AM »

I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.  I loved the chapter about his parents' experiences in the holocaust and was glad that he put that into his book - such amazing strength shown by so many people in his family.  His humor and way of looking at life is making it a pretty fun read. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7306 on: January 23, 2024, 07:26:52 AM »
One big revelation to me was how much cocaine they actually took. I didn't think they were "that kind of band", and just stuck to smoking pot and similar stuff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7307 on: January 23, 2024, 10:06:19 AM »
The original manuscript was 1,200 pages?!  :eek Damn, Ged. And I thought Neil was the writer.  :lol

TAC - my new book will be too. So get those spectacles out, old fogey. You'll need 'em!

Grapp - I actually skipped that chapter, and went back to it after I was done with the book itself. I'm glad it's in there too. But I really liked reading it afterward.

Zydar - yeah, I had zero idea they drugged it up (more than just pot). Pretty fortunate Ged was able to kick it the way he said he did.

My only bummer about this book is, I don't think, after reading all this, and reading Martin Popoff's biographies on Rush, that there is much else to say about the band. I mean, everything is covered, both by Ged, and by other writers. Perhaps Ged and Al will get together soon, and do a Lifeson/Lee album, and tour. That would be cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7308 on: January 23, 2024, 10:20:32 AM »
One big revelation to me was how much cocaine they actually took. I didn't think they were "that kind of band", and just stuck to smoking pot and similar stuff.

Ya, this was a big shocker to me as well. I’m just glad he was able to walk away from it. I’ve heard that is one monkey that is incredibly hard to get off your back.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7309 on: January 23, 2024, 01:28:48 PM »

Neil too?  I can see Alex partaking, and slightly less so Geddy, but I'm struggling with the Professor.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7310 on: January 23, 2024, 01:31:08 PM »
Not really overly surprised. Cocaine was a party favor back in the day.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7311 on: January 23, 2024, 01:55:27 PM »

Neil too?  I can see Alex partaking, and slightly less so Geddy, but I'm struggling with the Professor.

I’d have to go back and double check. I don’t think Geddy named specific names, but I believe he strongly hinted that it was “everyone”.

EDIT - I think we all need to remember the words of DLR when he once said, “the 70s were great because no one knew anything was bad for you yet.”

In the 70s, I tend to think the hazards of cocaine were largely brushed off or ignored.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7312 on: January 24, 2024, 01:16:59 PM »
I just read the cocaine part and he pretty much said it was everyone, band and crew included. 

While reading this book, I'm listening to a lot of Rush, obviously.  I usually go for one of the live albums that I own or a greatest hits, so I can hear my favorite songs.  Last night though, I dug into Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels.  I've never really given them as much attention, but fell in love with how heavy they sound on stuff like One Little Victory or BU2B. 

Online HOF

« Reply #7313 on: January 24, 2024, 01:39:53 PM »
Isn't the name "Rush" supposedly a reference to how you feel after you take cocaine?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7314 on: January 24, 2024, 02:07:11 PM »
So... I haven't started Geddy's book yet. Just waiting for the right headspace...

But I wanted to say..for all of the Power Windows joking around, Rush was on the ground floor of my musical roots. Where they went with their career wasn't something that I could ultimately stay latched on to on the whole other than a couple of pockets (Presto, Counterparts), but when I started my true musical journey around 1981, Rush was one of my favorite bands. Hemishperes, 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures are all foundational pieces of my experience.
All that to say that none of that has ever left me and I'm very excited to read the book.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol