Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497771 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #7210 on: December 21, 2023, 07:18:42 PM »
First two shows:
Marillion opening for Rush March 31 and April 1 1986.

My world was forever changed.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #7211 on: December 23, 2023, 01:09:56 AM »
 I saw an incredible Rush tribute show on December 21st here in Toronto. The band is called CRUSH, and they're a trio formed by members of the Canadian band Pyramid Theorem. They played deep cuts like Entre Nous, Malignant Narcissism and two songs from Feedback - The Seeker and Summertime Blues. 2112 was played in full, as well as Cygnus X-1 Part 1. They played for three hours!

As a great bonus, these two gentlemen were in the audience and I couldn't NOT ask them for a picture:

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7212 on: December 23, 2023, 01:16:03 AM »
I don't know who the guy on the left is. Also, that looks like Terry Brown in the background.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #7213 on: December 23, 2023, 02:13:29 AM »
I don't know who the guy on the left is. Also, that looks like Terry Brown in the background.

It's Chance Labrie, James' son.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7214 on: December 23, 2023, 03:36:51 AM »
James is looking more and more like Robert Plant.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7215 on: December 23, 2023, 07:17:50 AM »

It's Chance Labrie, James' son.

Yup. Chance played on James latest solo album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7216 on: December 25, 2023, 01:36:00 PM »
pg, I used to tell my dad his music was old as a teen in the 80's and the songs he loved were 30 years old.  Now I listen to music that is 50 years old.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7217 on: December 25, 2023, 01:42:25 PM »
No kidding. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7218 on: December 25, 2023, 09:39:37 PM »
This was under the tree this morning.  Signed First Edition.

I'm not sure how many he sat down and signed for the sole purpose of creating collector's items, but the number is finite and I have one.   :hat

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7219 on: December 26, 2023, 03:05:47 AM »
Hey, that's great! I'm reading mine at the moment (unsigned though).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #7220 on: December 26, 2023, 07:36:55 AM »
Nice, the wife got me a (unsigned) copy for Christmas.  Can't wait to dive in!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7221 on: December 26, 2023, 08:00:40 AM »

"Glee" signed your copy?  :o

:biggrin:

(But in all seriousness, very cool gift!)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7222 on: December 26, 2023, 08:18:02 AM »
:lol My son said the same thing.  "Signed by Glee.  Nice."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7223 on: December 26, 2023, 10:26:22 AM »
I also got the book for Christmas!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline nick_z

« Reply #7224 on: December 26, 2023, 12:26:51 PM »
Me too!

Had a quick look at the Prologue...the name stuff is pretty funny, already  :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7225 on: December 26, 2023, 01:50:59 PM »
The next few weeks will be tough.  I've been re-reading a book series that I read years ago, and I have this weird rule that I don't have multiple books going at once.  I don't like jumping back and forth between narratives.  So I have to finish the current book before I can start reading Geddy's book.  I may cheat a little bit, but it's going to be tough.  I tried to finish it before Christmas because I suspected that this would happen.  First world problems.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7226 on: December 26, 2023, 02:26:10 PM »
This was under the tree this morning.  Signed First Edition.

I'm not sure how many he sat down and signed for the sole purpose of creating collector's items, but the number is finite and I have one.   :hat

Nice! I'm halfway through my unsigned copy (been really savoring it.) and I'm only up to 1977.  Got to cover 40 plus more years in 250 pages. Seems like quite a bit will be skipped over.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7227 on: December 26, 2023, 09:01:06 PM »
My sis got me this book for Christmas. This passage early on hit me hard:

Quote from: Geddy Lee
It's a common mistake to assume that when a kid (or an adult for that matter) is quiet, he must be some sort of deep thinker. In my case I;m afraid I t was simply that I didn't have much to say.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7228 on: December 27, 2023, 12:23:40 AM »
Nice! I'm halfway through my unsigned copy (been really savoring it.) and I'm only up to 1977.  Got to cover 40 plus more years in 250 pages. Seems like quite a bit will be skipped over.

That's sadly the case for pretty much every biography I've ever read. They focus a lot on the early years, and then skip over the majority of the discography. Some albums never even get a mention in some of the books.

I'm up to about 1975 now in this one, and that's just half the book left to go.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7229 on: December 27, 2023, 06:03:00 AM »

That's sadly the case for pretty much every biography I've ever read. They focus a lot on the early years, and then skip over the majority of the discography. Some albums never even get a mention in some of the books.

This is very disappointing to hear. I'll probably skip it then. I can't stand how just about every gook spends half the book on the ery early years and then they gloss over the time period where I was a real time fan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7230 on: December 27, 2023, 06:21:29 AM »

This is very disappointing to hear. I'll probably skip it then. I can't stand how just about every gook spends half the book on the ery early years and then they gloss over the time period where I was a real time fan.

Zy isn't saying that this is the case with Geddy's book.  He's saying that this seems to be a problem for most biographies.  Or am I wrong, Håkan?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7231 on: December 27, 2023, 06:23:05 AM »

Zy isn't saying that this is the case with Geddy's book.  He's saying that this seems to be a problem for most biographies.  Or am I wrong, Håkan?

Zy didn't come out and say it, but John did.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7232 on: December 27, 2023, 06:36:34 AM »
This is a book though about Geddy.  Of course is would lean on the early years.  This is not really a book about Rush.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7233 on: December 27, 2023, 06:42:00 AM »
This is a book though about Geddy.  Of course is would lean on the early years.  This is not really a book about Rush.

So I'm not picking on this book, so don't get defensive. :P :P

It's my problem though because I've read a lot of rock autobiographies and even band biographies (Lifting Shadows, Run To The Hills), and they all spend half or 60% of the book talking about a short period of time and gloss over the things that would interest me.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7234 on: December 27, 2023, 06:45:45 AM »

I don't know yet, I haven't read the whole book. But it appears that way, since I'm about halfway through and it's only 1975 yet.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7235 on: December 27, 2023, 07:31:12 AM »
I'm reasonable Rush fan, nowhere near as hardcore as most of you. I thought the book (well, audiobook. If you're not listening to the audiobook, you're missing out) was paced brilliantly. And yes, time is compressed towards the end but there was still some fabulous stuff about Neil, their last tour, that kind of thing. My guess is the more hardcore you are, the less there'll be anything genuinely new in it for you. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, all of it. And I loved his willingness to name certain people as well as his willingness to hold a grudge :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7236 on: December 27, 2023, 09:11:47 AM »
I'm reasonable Rush fan, nowhere near as hardcore as most of you. I thought the book (well, audiobook. If you're not listening to the audiobook, you're missing out) was paced brilliantly. And yes, time is compressed towards the end but there was still some fabulous stuff about Neil, their last tour, that kind of thing. My guess is the more hardcore you are, the less there'll be anything genuinely new in it for you. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, all of it. And I loved his willingness to name certain people as well as his willingness to hold a grudge :biggrin:

I listened to Geddy read it in the audio book on Audible. Alex gets some spots to...
The extra content in the audio book will sureley not translate well to print...
Two previosly unrelead demos from Geddy :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #7237 on: December 27, 2023, 09:46:57 AM »
I'm a little less than halfway through and it's in 1975, but I think it's fine.  We do know so much about Rush from interviews and biographies etc.  It's been interesting learning about his childhood and early life.  I'm just reading for now but definitely plan to listen to the audiobook after.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7238 on: December 27, 2023, 10:38:20 AM »
You mean when they worked on, released and toured behind Power Windows?  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7239 on: December 27, 2023, 10:40:46 AM »
And I loved his willingness to name certain people as well as his willingness to hold a grudge :biggrin:
Besides Lillywhite, who else?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7240 on: December 27, 2023, 11:22:18 AM »
You mean when they worked on, released and toured behind Power Windows?  :biggrin:

Yeah, I mean who wouldn't want to be a fly on the wall for that one?  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7241 on: December 27, 2023, 12:45:06 PM »
I suppose my biggest question would be, do we get any more details on the split from Terry Brown.

We always got the feeling that the initial split was fairly acrimonious, but everyone was extremely tight lipped about what actually went down.   Alex and Terry were interviewed together for the 2112 retrospect, but I don’t recall seeing Geddy with Terry in anything recently and I guess hearing that he holds a grudge just makes me even more curious.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7242 on: December 27, 2023, 01:56:42 PM »
With autobiographies like this, I always figure the emphasis is on the stuff you don't already know, and that's how I prefer it.  Rush's rise to fame and their glory years (such as they are) are pretty well documented.  I look forward to finding out more about Geddy, his roots and influences, and in general gaining some insight into him as a person.  Presumably whatever he says about any period will be what he considers worthy of including.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7243 on: December 27, 2023, 02:02:00 PM »

This is a big reason why I don't read these autobiographies.  I honestly couldn't give a shit about every little thing in their lives growing up.  It needs to be told I know but fuck most of them give ypu every little detail about the family life, school, I just don't care so much about that stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7244 on: December 27, 2023, 03:10:29 PM »

This is a big reason why I don't read these autobiographies.  I honestly couldn't give a shit about every little thing in their lives growing up.  It needs to be told I know but fuck most of them give ypu every little detail about the family life, school, I just don't care so much about that stuff.
Perhaps, but in all fairness, it helps give the reader a better idea of where a person came from and perhaps why they made the decisions they did or lived they way they did. That certainly was the case with Geddy, and he says that's why he dedicated a chapter to his parents and what went down in the concentration camps - because it had a heavy influence on who and what he became.