Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497659 times)

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #7175 on: December 19, 2023, 08:01:59 PM »
Tim and I scaringly agree on the majority of things but Power Windows I think over time has been my 'go to' Rush album.  The synth era is by far my fav.  I'm not big on the old stuff, the Moving Pictures era is of course wonderful but GUP, Signals, Power Windows even Hold Your Fire is climbing the rankings.  Counterparts is up there too actually but that synth stuff is unmatched and PW keeps coming out on top.  Just an amazing album in every single way.
The Synth Era is also my favorite era as well. They were way more consistent in songwriting and lyrics throughout this period and Power Windows was the pinnacle.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7176 on: December 19, 2023, 08:02:36 PM »
I'm a forward thinker. ;D
No, you're just weird. :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7177 on: December 19, 2023, 08:11:39 PM »
Tim and I scaringly agree on the majority of things but Power Windows I think over time has been my 'go to' Rush album.  The synth era is by far my fav.  I'm not big on the old stuff, the Moving Pictures era is of course wonderful but GUP, Signals, Power Windows even Hold Your Fire is climbing the rankings.  Counterparts is up there too actually but that synth stuff is unmatched and PW keeps coming out on top.  Just an amazing album in every single way.
The Synth Era is also my favorite era as well. They were way more consistent in songwriting and lyrics throughout this period and Power Windows was the pinnacle.

I think they just completely nailed the style too but definitely agree with them being more consistent across that entire period.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7178 on: December 20, 2023, 04:38:22 AM »
I was lucky to see the synth era live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7179 on: December 20, 2023, 05:18:13 AM »
I was lucky to see the synth era live.

I didn't see the Grace Under Pressure tour but I did see Power Windows and HYF.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7180 on: December 20, 2023, 06:26:29 AM »
Grace was my 1st show out of 31 shows I saw.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7181 on: December 20, 2023, 06:30:20 AM »

Yeah, 1984 was very early in my concert going. I only saw 3 shows...
Van Halen
Scorps/Bon Jovi
Dio/Twisted Sister
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7182 on: December 20, 2023, 07:49:12 AM »

Van Halen
Scorps/Bon Jovi
Dio/Twisted Sister

Asia w/ Chris DeBurg
Rainbow w/ Aldo Nova
Judas Priest w/ Great White
Rush / Fastway
Kiss / Queensryche
Triumph w/ Yngvie Malmstein

Those were my 1st 6 concerts.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7183 on: December 20, 2023, 09:14:18 AM »
Has anyone else seen this before? I had no idea there was unreleased demo material and it's from Tim's favorite album too :neverusethis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE1X8QjtAoc

I wonder what else is out there now...

These have been out for a while now. Kind of a fluke that they escaped the studio.

Kind of a fluke that whole album escaped the studio.

Van Halen
Scorps/Bon Jovi
Dio/Twisted Sister

- Ozzy with Ratt
- Judas Priest with Great White
- Rush with Gary Moore
- Dio with Rough Cutt

Unfortunately, an incident after the Dio concert prevented any further concerts until Dio came around again the next year - after I turned 18.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7184 on: December 20, 2023, 09:18:06 AM »
Has anyone else seen this before? I had no idea there was unreleased demo material and it's from Tim's favorite album too :neverusethis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE1X8QjtAoc

I wonder what else is out there now...

These have been out for a while now. Kind of a fluke that they escaped the studio.

Kind of a fluke that whole album escaped the studio.

Van Halen
Scorps/Bon Jovi
Dio/Twisted Sister

- Ozzy with Ratt
- Rush with Gary Moore
- Dio with Rough Cutt

Unfortunately, an incident after the Dio concert prevented any further concerts until Dio came around again the next year - after I turned 18.

Don't bother telling us; none of us are at all interested in hearing about your "incident";) :) :) :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7185 on: December 20, 2023, 09:20:36 AM »
Nov 24, 1984: KISS/Queensrÿche, New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Sep 8, 1984: Yes, New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Aug 21, 1984: Dio/Twisted Sister, New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum
Jul 20, 1984: The Cars/Wang Chung, Hartford Civic Center
Jun 10, 1984: Scorpions/Bon Jovi, New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum
May 4, 1984: Yes, Hartford Civic Center
Mar 1, 1984: KISS/Accept, New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum

Bummed I didn't see that Rainbow show. There had to be a reason, I just can't remember it now.  EDIT:  The last time they played Connecticut was October of '83 and I can imagine I had a hockey game at that point.

Speaking of "incidents", there was a fight on the floor for the Dio/Twisted show, and my dad's boss's daughter was there. Supposedly she got hit in the side of the face with a folding chair and was bruised.  My dad was like "WTF happend at that show??!?!?"  I don't know, Dad, I was back in the cheap seats!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7186 on: December 20, 2023, 09:47:20 AM »

- Ozzy with Ratt
- Rush with Gary Moore
- Dio with Rough Cutt

We got Dio/Rough Cutt in 1985 on the first Sacred Heart leg with Vivian still in the band.

Motley Crue and Waysted opened Ozzy's tour here, but I didn't see that. Priest/Great White also played the East Coast. I don't remember who opened for Rush here, Joe could tell us, but I didn't think it was Gary Moore.

Nov 24, 1984: KISS/Queensrÿche, New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum

Mar 1, 1984: KISS/Accept, New Haven Veterans Memorial Coliseum

So good!

When I finally saw Kiss in 1985, they had Black n Blue. WTF?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7187 on: December 20, 2023, 10:04:10 AM »
Queensryche RULED.  Accept was really loud, but they were good, but QR was on another level.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #7188 on: December 20, 2023, 10:04:22 AM »
Funny random thought relating to Rush.  I was watching a trailer ad that played Tom Sawyer in the background to plug this movie, The Iron Claw, which talks about the Von Erich wrestling family (Kerry Von Erich use Tom Sawyer as an entrance music and referred himself as a modern-day warrior back in the day) and it amused me in the comments section where you had a few people that's like "what's that song in the background." 

Then you realize.  Wow.  That song was released 42 years ago and we are at a point where adult people in the now are still hearing Rush's most-well known song for the first time.  It's something amusing to note.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7189 on: December 20, 2023, 12:09:23 PM »
Funny random thought relating to Rush.  I was watching a trailer ad that played Tom Sawyer in the background to plug this movie, The Iron Claw, which talks about the Von Erich wrestling family (Kerry Von Erich use Tom Sawyer as an entrance music and referred himself as a modern-day warrior back in the day) and it amused me in the comments section where you had a few people that's like "what's that song in the background." 

Then you realize.  Wow.  That song was released 42 years ago and we are at a point where adult people in the now are still hearing Rush's most-well known song for the first time.  It's something amusing to note.

See, that's painful for me, since SO MUCH of the music I live with and love is in that bucket.  I  often sit with my kids and play things and they have a look of wonder (or not ;)) and it's amazing the timelessness of some of this music.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7190 on: December 20, 2023, 12:29:58 PM »

- Ozzy with Ratt
- Rush with Gary Moore
- Dio with Rough Cutt

We got Dio/Rough Cutt in 1985 on the first Sacred Heart leg with Vivian still in the band.

Motley Crue and Waysted opened Ozzy's tour here, but I didn't see that. Priest/Great White also played the East Coast. I don't remember who opened for Rush here, Joe could tell us, but I didn't think it was Gary Moore.

We got Rough Cutt with Dio on both Last in Line and Sacred Heart.

Don't bother telling us; none of us are at all interested in hearing about your "incident";) :) :) :)

Yeah...I knew I was setting that up.  It's a better story when told verbally, but here you go:

During the second half of 1984, my friend Joe and I worked at Del Taco.  Back then the store closed at 9 or 10 p.m.  Joe and I and a couple others who worked there had figured out that the caulking around the frame for the drive-thru window was trashed, and you could easily push it in, unlock the window, and climb in through the window, so we used to do that sometimes after the closing manager had driven away.  We'd make food and drink wine coolers (Bartles & Jaymes).

Joe and I and another friend (who didn't work there) went to the Dio show in November 1984.  After the show, we were hungry, and, since this was in the days before everything was open 24-hours or until 2 a.m., nothing was open, so we decided to stop at Del Taco.  It was probably 11-11:30 or so.  We were all inside and working on the food when a police car doing a normal cruise through the shopping center came around the next building and went through one of those water drainage channel, which resulted in its headlights shining directly into the restaurant.  Like the genuises we were, we all dropped to the floor and crawled toward the back - away from the windows.  We actually got into the closet where employees could stash their stuff while at work.

After about 10 minutes, we were starting to think we might not have been seen and exited the closet (ha ha).  At that point, there was a knock on the back door, and we kind of freaked out.  I remember Joe grabbing an employee shirt that was nearby.  He tried to pull it over his head, but it was buttoned up all the way, so the buttons broke off as he tried to put it on.  Another knock, and one of us said, "who is it?"   :lol  We opened the door to find three police cars, about 6 cops with guns drawn, and a German shepherd.

We were taken to the police station and put in a holding cell while we waited for our parents to come get us.  it was one of the most mortifying moments in my relationship with my mother.  She took me back to the Del Taco parking lot to pick up my car, and we drove home.  The next day, Joe and I brought our work shirts back to the store since we knew we were fired.  The store manager actually told us that he wouldn't have fired us, but the district manager insisted.  We were worried about Del Taco "pressing charges," so we got the phone number of the district manager and called him to apologize.  He was a total dick, and we heard from someone who still worked there that he was the only one who wanted to "press charges."

After a couple weeks, we thought we were off the hook when we got a notice from the juvenile court that we had to come in for arraignment on felony burglary charges!  The three of us went down to the court with our parents and met with the prosecutor.  That's when I learned that it's not up to the victim to press charges.  The prosecutor was sympathetic, but he said he had to give us something because the cops would be pissed at him (apparently, the cops thought we were robbing the place and might be armed).  We pled guilty to misdemeanor trespassing and attempted petty theft and got 5 days (4 with good behavior) on the county work program, which means four 8-hour days trimming grass at local high schools.  Needless to say, no more concerts were in my future until after I turned 18 in October 1985 (which means I missed the Long Beach Iron Maiden World Slavery shows, among others).  My next concert was Dio on the Sacred Heart tour.  We did not stop at Del Taco afterwards.

I remember back in those days thinking that WWII was ancient history (although my father served in that war).  The time between the end of WWII and the release date of Moving Pictures was not quite 36 years, and it's been nearly 43 years now since MP was released.  When I was a teenager, 43 year old music was a joke.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7191 on: December 20, 2023, 12:35:58 PM »

- Ozzy with Ratt
- Rush with Gary Moore
- Dio with Rough Cutt

That sucks! :lol

I bought the first Rough Cutt cassette before we went to the concert and Dio even dedicated a page in their Sacred Heart tour program for them. He was pimping them hard.

Believe it or not, I actually listened to that Rough Cutt album for the first time in decades, and it blows!

At least the second time through on the Sacred Heart tour, this time with Craig Goldie, we got Accept.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #7192 on: December 20, 2023, 12:41:30 PM »

That's why we could very well begin to consider those compositions "classical music".

The distance checks, ad well as timelessness and foundational value.

To piggyback on PG's last observation, the time distance between Puccini's Turandot and The Beatles' debut Is half the distance between said debut and today.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, it's not half but 2/3. Still.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 01:05:11 PM by Indiscipline »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7193 on: December 20, 2023, 12:55:51 PM »
pg, I used to tell my dad his music was old as a teen in the 80's and the songs he loved were 30 years old.  Now I listen to music that is 50 years old.  This shit ain't funny anymore.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7194 on: December 20, 2023, 12:57:52 PM »

- Ozzy with Ratt
- Rush with Gary Moore
- Dio with Rough Cutt

That sucks! :lol

I bought the first Rough Cutt cassette before we went to the concert and Dio even dedicated a page in their Sacred Heart tour program for them. He was pimping them hard.

Believe it or not, I actually listened to that Rough Cutt album for the first time in decades, and it blows!

At least the second time through on the Sacred Heart tour, this time with Craig Goldie, we got Accept.

Yeah...we liked Rough Cutt the first time, and at least one of them bought their EP (I think).  I recall Cutt Your Heart Out being pretty good.  By the second time, we weren't happy about it.  They were managed by Wendy Dio, so that's why they got that gig (and why Paul Shortino got to sing on the Hear 'n' Aid song).

pg, I used to tell my dad his music was old as a teen in the 80's and the songs he loved were 30 years old.  Now I listen to music that is 50 years old.  This shit ain't funny anymore.  :lol

Exactly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7195 on: December 20, 2023, 01:04:32 PM »
I have never heard of Rough Cutt.  Why does cut have an extra t and surely they missed an opportunity to spell it as Ruff?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7196 on: December 20, 2023, 01:07:54 PM »
I have never heard of Rough Cutt.  Why does cut have an extra t and surely they missed an opportunity to spell it as Ruff?

The sukk and bloww.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7197 on: December 20, 2023, 01:09:28 PM »

The sukk and bloww.

That's ruff on them mate.  I'm sure they are not thatt bad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7198 on: December 20, 2023, 01:11:08 PM »

The sukk and bloww.

They're actually thatt badd.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7199 on: December 20, 2023, 01:13:25 PM »
I'm gonna check them out later.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7200 on: December 20, 2023, 02:08:22 PM »
What, no one's gonna comment on the Del Taco story?  I thought it was a great story.  One to tell the kids, maybe, once they're adults.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7201 on: December 20, 2023, 02:41:25 PM »
What, no one's gonna comment on the Del Taco story?  I thought it was a great story.  One to tell the kids, maybe, once they're adults.

My daughter loves the story.  I did NOT include it among my "interesting story" options when I was on Jeopardy.   :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7202 on: December 20, 2023, 02:53:08 PM »
That's actually an awesome story. :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7203 on: December 20, 2023, 02:57:11 PM »

The sukk and bloww.

Yeah...I forgot that Jake E. Lee, Craig Goldy and Claude Schnell were members before they became known.  I assume the two "T's" were just to stand out (like another mostly shitty L.A. band at the time).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7204 on: December 20, 2023, 03:09:47 PM »

The sukk and bloww.

Yeah...I forgot that Jake E. Lee, Craig Goldy and Claude Schnell were members before they became known.  I assume the two "T's" were just to stand out (like another mostly shitty L.A. band at the time).

When I was in high school, a buddy of mine and me talked about forming a band, and I think we were gonna call it Black Foxx or something like that. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7205 on: December 20, 2023, 03:39:48 PM »
My friends named their band, TRIXX and wore all lavender and white. Their instruments as well.

Offline HOF

« Reply #7206 on: December 20, 2023, 04:24:22 PM »

I remember back in those days thinking that WWII was ancient history (although my father served in that war).  The time between the end of WWII and the release date of Moving Pictures was not quite 36 years, and it's been nearly 43 years now since MP was released.  When I was a teenager, 43 year old music was a joke.

I think about this a lot especially as I get older. Images and Words was released closer to the first Beatles album than we are to the release of Images and Words.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7207 on: December 21, 2023, 06:35:05 AM »

My daughter loves the story.  I did NOT include it among my "interesting story" options when I was on Jeopardy.   :biggrin:

I thought that was a great story.  I mean, besides the misdemeanor charges, that is.   I can just picture that kid with a jersey half on, half off, no buttons saying "but officer, I work here!"  ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7208 on: December 21, 2023, 09:07:10 AM »

I thought that was a great story.  I mean, besides the misdemeanor charges, that is.   I can just picture that kid with a jersey half on, half off, no buttons saying "but officer, I work here!"  ;)

We definitely told them that.  Amazingly, they did not care.  I was ever so slightly worried about my moral character application when it came time to get admitted to the bar, but it had been more than a decade and a half at that point, so the State Bar didn't seem to care either.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7209 on: December 21, 2023, 07:08:02 PM »
Fucking A it it is. Metal or die Tim knows no melody.

Wow. Cut to the chase.