Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497854 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #7070 on: December 08, 2023, 12:36:19 PM »
^^ Maybe they are just gathering around together in Toronto to see if Ohtani signs with the Blue Jays.

Facts.

I watched Al's intro, and then when he was joined by Ged. Let's just get Rush moving again. These guys aren't done. Not yet. And while I never had the pleasure of knowing Neil Peart, from everything I've read about the man, I'd like to think he's up there telling them to "get the fuck on with it already!"  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online HOF

« Reply #7071 on: December 08, 2023, 01:19:57 PM »
^^ Maybe they are just gathering around together in Toronto to see if Ohtani signs with the Blue Jays.

Ohtani is the new Rush drummer, confirmed.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7072 on: December 08, 2023, 04:10:54 PM »

:lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online HOF

« Reply #7073 on: December 08, 2023, 04:28:00 PM »
Video of Geddy and Alex last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03q0qbdqDSE&t=4s

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7074 on: December 08, 2023, 04:34:35 PM »
Rush definitely deserves a proper farewell show.  Can't remember where that last show was years ago, but it didn't mean anything.  Like Kiss at MSG, it should have been a two night stand at Rogers Centre.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7075 on: December 08, 2023, 04:35:12 PM »
I literally just finished watching it. It was amazing and funny. It only goes up to where he starts reading. Hopefully the fan questions show up on youtube.

It does sound like something may be brewing with them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7076 on: December 08, 2023, 05:02:00 PM »
Good to see that getting older has not dulled Lerxst's sense of humor. :hat :hat

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #7077 on: December 08, 2023, 08:59:11 PM »
I went to see Ged and Al at Massey Hall last night. So funny!!!! Some of the questions directed to Geddy that Al interjected:

"What was the song of the first dance at your wedding?". Geddy looking puzzled "that was a tough one..." and Alex "was it Working Man?"

“If you were given the chance to start over again, what would you have done differently?”

Geddy: “nothing, I’m really happy with what we have achieved”

Alex: “I would have joined The Beatles!”

“What was one encounter with a fellow musician that left you intimidated?”

Geddy: “playing with Yes at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was really special, even though they were split in two camps at the time. But getting a hug from Steve Howe was a great feeling, because they had been my idols for a long time”

Alex: “around 1992 I was paying the bill at a restaurant, and what do you know?!?! In walks Geddy Lee of Rush! I couldn’t believe it, it was so great!”

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7078 on: December 08, 2023, 09:10:03 PM »
Alex is such a wacky guy!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7079 on: December 08, 2023, 11:48:23 PM »
My Geddy book should arrive any day now.

DTF, what are your thoughts on his one and only solo album, My Favourite Headache? I actually haven't heard that one, and I've been meaning to check it out.

I love it. I listen to it more often that a few Rush albums. It's more accessible and more of a singer/songwriter record but I think it's great.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7080 on: December 09, 2023, 12:18:15 AM »

My take on the whole continuing Rush thing is this. I got the sense after last night that Geddy and Alex are going out as Rush again. They just need to sit down and talk about how, and then go through the process of finding the right person to play with. Ged answered questions that he'd like to try and play for three hours again, and you could just tell from his vibe that he's being coy -- it's going to happen. After an article I read where Ged said he doesn't plan too far ahead any longer, was finishing this book tour, going on vacation, and then discussing the future after that, I think Ged's being absolutely 100 percent forthright. He and Al will sit down in the spring and figure out what they are doing.

Something will happen. Geddy is all in. Won't be called Rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIG4ZmNy4jM

The SF show....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOJByH9_0ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJvjqb9kmk

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7081 on: December 09, 2023, 12:25:06 AM »
Every Monday night. Tough getting up on Tuesdays listening to Rockline.

That sucked. Only listened to the Rush ones. Was on hold once but the show ended and it was after 1 a.m. so I finally hung up.Even called before the show started. Never even got through on the rest of the them.

Grace Under Pressure was the first one and it continued through Rush In Rio I think. Used to record the Rush shows. The bar was really low for questions.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7082 on: December 09, 2023, 12:27:44 AM »
I’ve actually got some of those Rockline interviews on vinyl. DJ pressings for local radio stations to play. I have no idea if they are worth anything, but a family friend who was a collector gifted them to me because he knew I was a Rush freak.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7083 on: December 09, 2023, 12:32:08 AM »
This may sound sacrilegious, but after seeing Ged do the book thing on Sunday night, I listened to the Rush catalog, and I gotta say, I find myself favoring the material from Permanent Waves through Clockwork Angels way more than the 70s stuff. It's funny as time moves on, what you vibe on changes. Not saying I dislike old Rush, just saying I favor the 80s though the end more. Except for Hold Your Fire. That's just awful.  :lol

They got better as musicians and songwriters. That's how I look at it. It's there if you want to look.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7084 on: December 09, 2023, 12:39:26 AM »
So the audiobook of Ged's book is going to contain 2 songs written for his solo album. He cut them because he thought they were too personal and heavy at the time due to their subject matter. One is about the death of Neil's daughter and the other is loosely about Ged and his wife.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/geddy-lee-on-finding-lost-solo-demos-it-really-lifted-me-up-and-made-me-remember-how-much-fun-it-is-to-make-records

Hopefully they make it to some other format than just the audiobook, because while that's a cool incentive to pick up the audiobook, that's no way to listen to music I imagine.

Come to think of it, are audiobooks just on things like Audible now, or are they on CD still?

The audio book is for hearing Geddy and Alex read. Be nice if a CD single came out later.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7085 on: December 09, 2023, 12:41:20 AM »
Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures deserve their own sector! ;D

They are special albums that I never get sick of listening too.

Just like all the rest of them...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7086 on: December 09, 2023, 12:52:28 AM »
I just watched Geddy's new show on Prime, "Are bass players human too?"  It's amazing for music fans. 2 episodes in and awe yeah.

I CANNOT believe I just watched all four episodes earlier. Could have been listening to music.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7087 on: December 09, 2023, 12:55:32 AM »
Anybody watch Geddy's new show on Amazon Prime?  It's fantastic.

It's actually Paramount+. I just watched the whole thing. I wanted more. It seems they really could have thrown more into each episode. Either way, it was a fascinating watch.

Fascinating is certainly a word. A least there was a little humor.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7088 on: December 09, 2023, 12:57:17 AM »
I watched most of the show yesterday, still one more episode to go.

I thought it was pretty enjoyable.  Very cool to see Geddy playing the Bass of Doom (Jaco Pastorius's bass).

Geddy playing the bass was the best part of the show. Not enough of that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7089 on: December 09, 2023, 12:58:50 AM »

Is he moving to Seattle?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7090 on: December 09, 2023, 01:06:27 AM »
I’ve actually got some of those Rockline interviews on vinyl. DJ pressings for local radio stations to play. I have no idea if they are worth anything, but a family friend who was a collector gifted them to me because he knew I was a Rush freak.

Wow

They were live via satellite. Were they pressed after the show aired originally? What do they look like?

I have a bunch of vinyl and CD Rush radio shows but not Rockline. I think I saw a Rush Rockline CD once recorded in 2003.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7091 on: December 09, 2023, 06:36:32 AM »
I went to see Ged and Al at Massey Hall last night. So funny!!!! Some of the questions directed to Geddy that Al interjected:

"What was the song of the first dance at your wedding?". Geddy looking puzzled "that was a tough one..." and Alex "was it Working Man?"

“If you were given the chance to start over again, what would you have done differently?”

Geddy: “nothing, I’m really happy with what we have achieved”

Alex: “I would have joined The Beatles!”

“What was one encounter with a fellow musician that left you intimidated?”

Geddy: “playing with Yes at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was really special, even though they were split in two camps at the time. But getting a hug from Steve Howe was a great feeling, because they had been my idols for a long time”

Alex: “around 1992 I was paying the bill at a restaurant, and what do you know?!?! In walks Geddy Lee of Rush! I couldn’t believe it, it was so great!”

Classic Al!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7092 on: December 09, 2023, 09:20:56 AM »

Wow

They were live via satellite. Were they pressed after the show aired originally? What do they look like?

I have a bunch of vinyl and CD Rush radio shows but not Rockline. I think I saw a Rush Rockline CD once recorded in 2003.

I hadn’t pulled them off the shelf in a very long time so I went downstairs to double check and I was mistaken. They are “Innerview” interviews with Jim Ladd. They are in a plain white cardboard slipcover with a light blue label. One set is from the release of Moving Pictures and the other is from a different album…possibly GUP?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7093 on: December 09, 2023, 09:21:14 PM »
Innerviews were great, too!  :tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7094 on: December 10, 2023, 08:32:21 AM »
Probably no one but me will care, but experimental musician Fire-Toolz just released a cover of Tai-Shan. Pretty good!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7095 on: December 11, 2023, 11:24:05 AM »
Rush definitely deserves a proper farewell show.  Can't remember where that last show was years ago, but it didn't mean anything.

This seems like an odd take to me.  The August 1, 2015 show at the Inglewood Forum was absolutely a "proper farewell show."  I and everyone else in attendance knew what it was.  It was an incredible night that meant everything to those in attendance.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7096 on: December 11, 2023, 12:25:37 PM »
Rush definitely deserves a proper farewell show.  Can't remember where that last show was years ago, but it didn't mean anything.
This seems like an odd take to me.  The August 1, 2015 show at the Inglewood Forum was absolutely a "proper farewell show."  I and everyone else in attendance knew what it was.  It was an incredible night that meant everything to those in attendance.
I was there and fully agree. The only thing question was if it truly was the last show, but you kinda got the sense that it was. And when Neil came out to take a final bow, that just sealed it in my mind for certain that I witnessed the final Rush show.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7097 on: December 11, 2023, 12:34:01 PM »
That show in Inglewood in 2015 that a lot of their drummer friends in attendance: Taylor Hawkins, Chad Smith, Danny Carey, among others.  I think that show was going to have that "The Last Show" feeling as it was going to get without it being officially billed as the final show.  I believe at the time, they probably believed they may do a one-off show here and there and when they found out about Neil's diagnosis, that shut the door closed for any Rush shows with those 3 guys.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7098 on: December 11, 2023, 12:43:32 PM »
Probably no one but me will care, but experimental musician Fire-Toolz just released a cover of Tai-Shan. Pretty good!

Personally, I love the song Tai-Shan!

There were a lot of Rush fans that hated the song and called it a filler song which of course I don't think Rush had filler songs.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7099 on: December 11, 2023, 12:46:25 PM »

There were a lot of Rush fans that hated the song and called it a filler song which of course I don't think Rush had filler songs.
Well, if you like it, check out that cover.  I thought it was pretty good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7100 on: December 11, 2023, 01:01:09 PM »

I think it's a very good song too; Geddy trashed it one time and it's my pet theory that that was the impetus of a lot of the hate.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #7101 on: December 11, 2023, 02:09:35 PM »
For those baseball and Geddy fans out here

https://www.christies.com/auction/auction-20998-nyr

Very interesting baseballs that he collected/sold off

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7102 on: December 11, 2023, 06:15:21 PM »

Wow

I hadn’t pulled them off the shelf in a very long time so I went downstairs to double check and I was mistaken. They are “Innerview” interviews with Jim Ladd. They are in a plain white cardboard slipcover with a light blue label. One set is from the release of Moving Pictures and the other is from a different album…possibly GUP?

Those are awesome! Do they have track listing pages?

I consider those Rush Innerviews to be the gold standard in those years. It's also the only show that Neil appeared on regularly from 1980 to 1986 (Geddy did the '82 show.) Those were the only Rush appearances. Learned a lot from those Innerview shows. Great stuff.  Not sure how many of these have surfaced online but I think part of the Moving Pictures Innerview is on you tube somewhere.

Also Rush Innerviews seem to be nearly impossible to find. I was lucky enough to find mine at record shows in the '90s and they kind of expensive then. The Moving Pictures one was reissued  later in 1981 for some reason.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7103 on: December 11, 2023, 06:21:23 PM »

That's one show that needs an official bootleg DVD.

Offline coz

« Reply #7104 on: December 11, 2023, 10:01:59 PM »
For those baseball and Geddy fans out here

https://www.christies.com/auction/auction-20998-nyr

Very interesting baseballs that he collected/sold off
That collection is altogether crazy.
214 Gs for a freakin' baseball signed by Herbert Hoover!?!
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112