Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497845 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #7035 on: December 05, 2023, 07:56:02 AM »
They should tap Taylor Swift to play behind the kit
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7036 on: December 05, 2023, 08:15:05 AM »
Just listened to, and bought, Geddy Lee's The Lost Demos. Wonderful songs, and it puts me in the mood to listen to MFH for the first time in years.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #7037 on: December 05, 2023, 08:31:04 AM »
Just listened to, and bought, Geddy Lee's The Lost Demos. Wonderful songs, and it puts me in the mood to listen to MFH for the first time in years.

-Marc.

Oh nice, didn’t realize these were being made available on streaming/for download.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7038 on: December 05, 2023, 08:37:00 AM »
Would you classify a song's decade by when it was written, first performed, or officially released?
Released.

For 21 dates in the late summer of 1979, Rush played "The Spirit Of Radio" and "Freewill" and for fans who saw them at those shows, they were still 70s Rush. Even the promo single for TSOR came out in December 1979 (according to wikipedia). So if you're looking at just those two songs, there is an argument to be made that, for at least those two songs, they're 70s Rush.

-Marc.
I don't care.  For the world at large, that's not the case.

But to make things more complex, I personally count 1980 as the last year of the 70s, and 1990 as the last year of the 80s.  Because a decade is ten years, and you don't start counting with year 0 - there IS NO year zero.  You start with year 1.  So the last year of the very first decade was the year 10.

So the 70s are 1971 - 1980.  And so on.

Is that Eddie And The Cruisers?
No, he's in That Thing You Do! which is a wonderful film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7039 on: December 05, 2023, 08:38:41 AM »

This dude could probably give it a good shot.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7040 on: December 05, 2023, 08:47:18 AM »
For 21 dates in the late summer of 1979, Rush played "The Spirit Of Radio" and "Freewill" and for fans who saw them at those shows, they were still 70s Rush. Even the promo single for TSOR came out in December 1979 (according to wikipedia). So if you're looking at just those two songs, there is an argument to be made that, for at least those two songs, they're 70s Rush.

-Marc.
I don't care.  For the world at large, that's not the case.

But to make things more complex, I personally count 1980 as the last year of the 70s, and 1990 as the last year of the 80s.  Because a decade is ten years, and you don't start counting with year 0 - there IS NO year zero.  You start with year 1.  So the last year of the very first decade was the year 10.

So the 70s are 1971 - 1980.  And so on.

The 1980s (pronounced "nineteen-eighties", shortened to "the '80s" or "the Eighties") was a decade that began January 1, 1980, and ended December 31, 1989.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s

:lol

Then again, reading the wiki article on Decade provides arguments for both methods of counting a decade, though the 0-9 method is more common.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7041 on: December 05, 2023, 09:38:23 AM »
so who are the best guesses they are recruiting "one of the world's great drummers"?

That Thing You Do (which I randomly saw within the last year for the first time since it was released and was reminded that it's REALLY good).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online T-ski

« Reply #7042 on: December 05, 2023, 12:12:23 PM »

This dude could probably give it a good shot.

Steve Moore is a legit great drummer.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7043 on: December 05, 2023, 01:02:23 PM »
From the other thread...

Tim Alexander of Primus could definitely be an excellent choice for the drummer position.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #7044 on: December 05, 2023, 02:40:19 PM »
Have you guys listened to Geddy's demos? They were released yesterday or this morning in streaming services. These are from his solo album sessions.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7045 on: December 05, 2023, 03:07:44 PM »
Have you guys listened to Geddy's demos? They were released yesterday or this morning in streaming services. These are from his solo album sessions.

-Marc.

Mentioned them a few posts up, bought them off Amazon this morning after I saw the Rush Facebook page post about them!

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #7046 on: December 05, 2023, 03:12:53 PM »
I'm buying them after work.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7047 on: December 05, 2023, 04:31:39 PM »

Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7048 on: December 05, 2023, 06:26:18 PM »
I just watched Geddy's new show on Prime, "Are bass players human too?"  It's amazing for music fans. 2 episodes in and awe yeah.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7049 on: December 05, 2023, 06:39:43 PM »

That Thing You Do (which I randomly saw within the last year for the first time since it was released and was reminded that it's REALLY good).

This takes the thread into a different place, but how that film played out raises a good question about songwriting.  Within the context of the story, the song That Thing You Do was written by Jimmy and Lenny, but it was written as a slower ballad.  It only became a fast song when Guy played it "too fast" at that talent show, and obviously it became their big hit at Guy's tempo.  Would Guy get a songwriting credit for that since his tempo change technically altered the arrangement?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7050 on: December 06, 2023, 07:02:16 AM »

This takes the thread into a different place, but how that film played out raises a good question about songwriting.  Within the context of the story, the song That Thing You Do was written by Jimmy and Lenny, but it was written as a slower ballad.  It only became a fast song when Guy played it "too fast" at that talent show, and obviously it became their big hit at Guy's tempo.  Would Guy get a songwriting credit for that since his tempo change technically altered the arrangement?
I think so.  Tempo is a more major musical element than just drum pattern.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7051 on: December 06, 2023, 07:03:40 AM »

Depends.  If it's Ozzy or Kiss, no.  If it's Van Halen or Sabbath, maybe.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7052 on: December 06, 2023, 07:15:50 AM »
Depends.  If it's Ozzy or Kiss, no.  If it's Van Halen or Sabbath, maybe.
Interesting question. From a business standpoint, I would say no since it simply falls on the "arrangement" side of things, and even that is debatable. Makes me think of Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence. Originally it was a very basic and simple ballad that Martin Gore had written. Listening to it in that state, it probably would've gone nowhere. But bandmate Alan Wilder insisted on redoing it as an up-tempo song, and it ended up being their highest charting single in the US. And yet only Gore is credited with the songwriting. This sort of thing (not receiving any credit for his contributions) ultimately led to Wilder leaving the group after the following album. That said, it's not something that I would necessarily agree with - I think Wilder should've received some songwriting credit - but I believe that's generally the way the business works.

Here's the original demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL4epbvM8oY

And here's the "Harmonium" version that mirrors it closely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1cRm9d0unQ

And the official album version (for those not familiar with it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojvldIzbaMo
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7053 on: December 06, 2023, 07:47:58 AM »
Different bands do it different ways.  Regardless of who came up with the original song, by the time it's recorded and performed, everyone in the band has contributed at least something to it, even if it's "just playing their parts".  One could argue that a song would not have been a hit without that killer guitar solo, or the fact that the drummer cooked up the tempo, but it can still be hard to separate the arrangement and setting from the song itself.

Early Genesis always credited every song to all five of them, for this very reason.  They all contributed to the final song.  Later, they went with individual songwriting credits because some felt that it was important.  Royalties are paid according to who wrote the song, not who played on it.

So yeah, it depends.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7054 on: December 06, 2023, 10:24:20 AM »
Different bands do it different ways.  Regardless of who came up with the original song, by the time it's recorded and performed, everyone in the band has contributed at least something to it, even if it's "just playing their parts".  One could argue that a song would not have been a hit without that killer guitar solo, or the fact that the drummer cooked up the tempo, but it can still be hard to separate the arrangement and setting from the song itself.

Early Genesis always credited every song to all five of them, for this very reason.  They all contributed to the final song.  Later, they went with individual songwriting credits because some felt that it was important.  Royalties are paid according to who wrote the song, not who played on it.

So yeah, it depends.

Had I responded earlier, this is basically what I would've written.  There's no hard and fast, universal answer to the issue of songwriting credits.  When I had my band and we were writing originals, every song started with an idea from me or our guitar player.  That person got the first credit.  For all but one of our songs, the other of us got the second credit for contributing to the song (either helping to finish it or arranging things or contributing to lyrics).  On a couple occasions, our singer would write or contribute to lyrics and get a credit, and we gave our drummer a credit on one song because the guitarist and I both felt like his drumming really transformed the song (the drummer protested mildly).  Not sure how things would have played out had we progressed beyond the club band stage.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7055 on: December 06, 2023, 11:02:22 AM »
That Thing You Do, written by the late Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7056 on: December 06, 2023, 01:28:09 PM »

So yeah, it depends.

And then they went back.  I think Abacab was the last to have individual credits (and even then, it was one song each).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7057 on: December 06, 2023, 03:11:32 PM »
Interesting info, thanks everyone for the thoughts.

Given that it probably is a case by case thing, I doubt a dick like Jimmy (in the film) would have been in a hurry to give Guy a songwriting credit.  :lol :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7058 on: December 06, 2023, 03:39:32 PM »

And then they went back.  I think Abacab was the last to have individual credits (and even then, it was one song each).

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7059 on: December 06, 2023, 03:58:01 PM »
I just looked back and saw that this thread is over 11 years old!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7060 on: December 06, 2023, 04:46:48 PM »
Anybody watch Geddy's new show on Amazon Prime?  It's fantastic. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7061 on: December 06, 2023, 07:43:17 PM »
I don't have Amazon prime,  but I'd love to see this show!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #7062 on: December 06, 2023, 07:50:18 PM »

It's actually Paramount+. I just watched the whole thing. I wanted more. It seems they really could have thrown more into each episode. Either way, it was a fascinating watch.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7063 on: December 06, 2023, 07:53:18 PM »

I have to admit that the premise of it didn't sound interesting to me at all when I heard about it, and I never gave it a second thought.  Maybe I will check it out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7064 on: December 07, 2023, 04:16:37 AM »

It's actually Paramount+. I just watched the whole thing. I wanted more. It seems they really could have thrown more into each episode. Either way, it was a fascinating watch.

I actually get Paramount + through prime through my TV app. Funny, I paid for CBS all access and when they changed over, I still had it without paying for it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7065 on: December 07, 2023, 09:01:40 AM »
I watched most of the show yesterday, still one more episode to go.

I thought it was pretty enjoyable.  Very cool to see Geddy playing the Bass of Doom (Jaco Pastorius's bass).

Online nick_z

« Reply #7066 on: December 07, 2023, 09:08:01 AM »
Watched the first episode with Claypool. It was definitely fun.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7067 on: December 07, 2023, 09:29:52 AM »
Watched the Les Claypool one.

I liked it, but felt way too short. Like 20 minutes? Yea, it should be longer and cover some more ground. Looking forward to the others soon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7068 on: December 07, 2023, 09:55:36 PM »
Well, apparently Al did in fact join Geddy in Toronto.

Anxiously awaiting the juicy details.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7069 on: December 08, 2023, 08:43:05 AM »
^^ Maybe they are just gathering around together in Toronto to see if Ohtani signs with the Blue Jays.