Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497661 times)

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6930 on: November 23, 2023, 10:28:45 AM »
do y'all ever wish Phish would cover Rush, either a one-off song, or an entire album of theirs as a Halloween costume?
Nah. Gimme more of this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOIxVrwqllA
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #6931 on: November 23, 2023, 10:54:44 AM »
do y'all ever wish Phish would cover Rush, either a one-off song, or an entire album of theirs as a Halloween costume?

wow i had never seen this before! :metal
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline HOF

« Reply #6932 on: November 23, 2023, 10:58:21 AM »

Half the audience was probably like “wow, they are really changing up the intro to Peruvian Skies.”

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6933 on: November 23, 2023, 11:01:56 AM »
Umphrey's McGee do a great cover of Tom Saywer.

https://youtu.be/-2ZlLdi9Dbs?si=yINF23qWmbkmg_y8
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #6934 on: November 23, 2023, 11:10:46 AM »

Half the audience was probably like “wow, they are really changing up the intro to Peruvian Skies.”

This also reinforces how the first part of The Necromancer is Pink Floyd, the middle part is Yes, and the ending is The Who (as demonstrated by the transition to Baba O’Riley)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6935 on: November 23, 2023, 12:16:48 PM »
I was in the audience when they sprung that on us, and I remember thinking "Ah, they're playing PS" until I realized they *already* played it earlier in the same show! So then I struggled to put my finger on what this familiar sounding song was that they were playing. Took me a good minute or two before it finally clicked, and even then, I was certain that they were only gonna play the first part of the song. And then they started the second part, but I *knew* they would move on to another song after that. And then they started playing the last part of the song. Totally blew my mind, and to this day is one of my favorite concert memories. IMO, it's the best cover DT ever did, even though the song itself is far from my favorite from Rush. They took another band's song and truly made it their own, and IMO superior to the original. That's the one issue I have with the covers they do: they usually play the songs too straight and like the original, and not adding enough "DT" to the songs.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6936 on: November 23, 2023, 01:10:31 PM »
Phish did play Watcher of the Skies when Genesis were inducted in the to R&R HOF, so I guess a Rush cover by Fish could happen. The clip of the blank looks from celebs as those opening mellotron chords go on and on is priceless.

I saw that!  :lol  Loved it.  There's a minute and a half of Mellotron before anything else comes in.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6937 on: November 24, 2023, 09:06:03 AM »
I was in the audience when they sprung that on us, and I remember thinking "Ah, they're playing PS" until I realized they *already* played it earlier in the same show! So then I struggled to put my finger on what this familiar sounding song was that they were playing. Took me a good minute or two before it finally clicked, and even then, I was certain that they were only gonna play the first part of the song. And then they started the second part, but I *knew* they would move on to another song after that. And then they started playing the last part of the song. Totally blew my mind, and to this day is one of my favorite concert memories. IMO, it's the best cover DT ever did, even though the song itself is far from my favorite from Rush. They took another band's song and truly made it their own, and IMO superior to the original. That's the one issue I have with the covers they do: they usually play the songs too straight and like the original, and not adding enough "DT" to the songs.

I was fortunate enough to be in the crowd when they covered Jacob's Ladder (just a week before Score), and The Camera Eye (ProgNation '09).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6938 on: November 24, 2023, 09:59:52 AM »

I was fortunate enough to be in the crowd when they covered Jacob's Ladder (just a week before Score), and The Camera Eye (ProgNation '09).
I was at those too.  The Camera Eye was a huge surprise to me.  Both covers were awesome. I also saw them do A Passage to Bangkok and the 2112 Grand Finale.

I'd really like them to do Xanadu live - Petrucci has teased it so many times that it's time to give us the whole thing.   (James can do whatever he needs to do with the vocals).

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6939 on: November 25, 2023, 08:00:31 AM »
You and me both, dude
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6940 on: November 25, 2023, 05:23:46 PM »
I have just finished reading Ged's book and it's a good effin read.
He mentions that whatever he ends up recording playing live it won't be under 'R' word.

A really good read overall and I was misty eyed of his recalling his last time seeing Neil.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6941 on: November 27, 2023, 06:56:15 AM »
My Geddy book should arrive any day now.

DTF, what are your thoughts on his one and only solo album, My Favourite Headache? I actually haven't heard that one, and I've been meaning to check it out.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #6942 on: November 27, 2023, 07:26:59 AM »

DTF, what are your thoughts on his one and only solo album, My Favourite Headache? I actually haven't heard that one, and I've been meaning to check it out.

It’s been a while since I’ve listened to it, but I’d recommend it. Solid album, more enjoyable than Alex’s “Victor” album. Matt Cameron plays drums on it which is cool.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6943 on: November 27, 2023, 08:02:25 AM »
It's good. Definitely on the more melodic and mellow side of Rush, whereas Victor (Alex's album) was more chaotic and harsh relatively speaking.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6944 on: November 27, 2023, 08:38:23 AM »
Went to Ged's "My Effin Life" discussion last night in San Francisco. Really enjoyed it. (Except for the two absolutely trashed drunk guys behind me.) I did one of these once before for William Shatner, and it was funny and entertaining, and Geddy's was too. The surprise guest was Matt Cameron from Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Funny enough, my buddy Jonathan went to this in Seattle, and he was standing next to Matt during the evening while getting a beer. Then lo and behold, here is Matt as the special interviewer a couple nights later. We actually thought it would be Les Claypool (as I think everyone did). Nice curveball. Matt was okay. A lot of nervousness when he started. Got better throughout the show.

Folks who have been paying attention know the whole format, so I'll save all that. But I will say that I really appreciated Ged's humor and ability to entertain. He's delightful. And I was really moved by his heartfelt reaction to talking about Neil (Ged continues to get choked up), and of course, his lifelong man-crush, Al. It's really nice to see honesty and emotion and it not be an act, like some people do in these settings. Geddy was wonderful.

My take on the whole continuing Rush thing is this. I got the sense after last night that Geddy and Alex are going out as Rush again. They just need to sit down and talk about how, and then go through the process of finding the right person to play with. Ged answered questions that he'd like to try and play for three hours again, and you could just tell from his vibe that he's being coy -- it's going to happen. After an article I read where Ged said he doesn't plan too far ahead any longer, was finishing this book tour, going on vacation, and then discussing the future after that, I think Ged's being absolutely 100 percent forthright. He and Al will sit down in the spring and figure out what they are doing.

Anyway, I avoided buying the Kindle version of the book, because I knew were were getting copies last night, so I plan to crack the cover this week and dive in.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline HOF

« Reply #6945 on: November 27, 2023, 09:26:33 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me if they enlisted Matt Cameron to drum for them if they do go out again (as Rush or otherwise).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6946 on: November 28, 2023, 06:10:36 AM »
Short comments below of Geddy talking about how they used to build a set list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HozEk-rIdI

I was hoping for more details, but whatever. 

Does anyone remember back in the day when they used to talk about this stuff? They used to do a show called Rockline before album releases, and a friend and I remember them saying once that on each tour, each of the three would get a song that they'd play that the other two couldn't veto.  I thought that was pretty cool.  But I have never heard any of them talk about that since. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6947 on: November 28, 2023, 06:37:32 AM »

I like it a lot, more than some Rush albums.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6948 on: November 28, 2023, 08:22:16 AM »
Nice, I'll be sure to give it a spin later then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6949 on: November 28, 2023, 09:44:52 AM »
Does anyone remember back in the day when they used to talk about this stuff? They used to do a show called Rockline before album releases, and a friend and I remember them saying once that on each tour, each of the three would get a song that they'd play that the other two couldn't veto.  I thought that was pretty cool.  But I have never heard any of them talk about that since.

Rockline was great - as was its host, Bob Coburn, who was one of the great DJs on our local radio station here in Socal.  I remember once or twice desperately trying to dial in (even though I don't think I had any idea what I would ask).  I vaguely recall that bit about everyone getting a no-veto song.  I also recall Neil giving a sort of broad brush discussion in one of his Backstage Club Newsletter Q&As.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6950 on: November 28, 2023, 09:47:48 AM »
I used to listen to Rockline also.  Good stuff, back in the day.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6951 on: November 28, 2023, 12:50:20 PM »
Yeah, Rockline was cool.  Back before the Internet age when everything any celebrity says gets repeated 1000 times, or just plain made up, we had actual interviews and discussions with them, and you could be reasonably sure that they actually said it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6952 on: November 28, 2023, 03:55:09 PM »
Agreed. Rockline was gold. I really enjoyed listening to it. I still have several recordings of the shows (mostly Queensryche, but some others). Great stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6953 on: November 28, 2023, 04:38:33 PM »
Every Monday night. Tough getting up on Tuesdays listening to Rockline.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6954 on: November 28, 2023, 05:04:24 PM »
Rockline was an amazing show. Real questions from real fans.

Not linking every one, but if you youtube Rush Rockline, there's a bunch of things up there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6955 on: November 30, 2023, 09:26:27 AM »
This may sound sacrilegious, but after seeing Ged do the book thing on Sunday night, I listened to the Rush catalog, and I gotta say, I find myself favoring the material from Permanent Waves through Clockwork Angels way more than the 70s stuff. It's funny as time moves on, what you vibe on changes. Not saying I dislike old Rush, just saying I favor the 80s though the end more. Except for Hold Your Fire. That's just awful.  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #6956 on: November 30, 2023, 09:34:17 AM »
This may sound sacrilegious, but after seeing Ged do the book thing on Sunday night, I listened to the Rush catalog, and I gotta say, I find myself favoring the material from Permanent Waves through Clockwork Angels way more than the 70s stuff. It's funny as time moves on, what you vibe on changes. Not saying I dislike old Rush, just saying I favor the 80s though the end more. Except for Hold Your Fire. That's just awful.  :lol

This is the way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6957 on: November 30, 2023, 12:42:59 PM »

This is the way.

Agreed on all counts. Though I would probably throw in RTB as a stinker as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #6958 on: November 30, 2023, 12:59:10 PM »

This is the way.

Agreed on all counts. Though I would probably throw in RTB as a stinker as well.

I did miss the dig at Hold Your Fire, which has some great tunes and which I probably like more than Roll the Bones (but that one also has some great songs).

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6959 on: December 01, 2023, 08:26:26 AM »
Feel like I just have to weigh in; in terms of SONGS, Hold Your Fire may be my FAVORITE Rush record.  I don't care for all the instrumental choices, and I've said before, if Rush ever decided to do an acoustic version of their songs, I would nominate all of Hold Your Fire for that honor.   Some of the melodies and arrangements on that record are simply beautiful.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6960 on: December 01, 2023, 09:01:53 AM »
Feel like I just have to weigh in; in terms of SONGS, Hold Your Fire may be my FAVORITE Rush record.  I don't care for all the instrumental choices, and I've said before, if Rush ever decided to do an acoustic version of their songs, I would nominate all of Hold Your Fire for that honor.   Some of the melodies and arrangements on that record are simply beautiful.

It just suffers from having to follow up the perfection of Power Windows. In retrospect, I have grown to like the album more than I used to. But at the time, it was (to me) the first ever Rush album with skip tracks.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6961 on: December 01, 2023, 09:35:29 AM »
Today Was Yesterday Announce Debut Album Featuring Alex Lifeson (Rush) & Robby Krieger (The Doors)

New single:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/today-was-yesterday-announce-debut-album-featuring-alex-lifeson-rush-robby-krieger-the-doors/

Offline emtee

« Reply #6962 on: December 01, 2023, 09:49:17 AM »
Nothing from that song grabbed  me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6963 on: December 01, 2023, 10:58:42 AM »

It just suffers from having to follow up the perfection of Power Windows. In retrospect, I have grown to like the album more than I used to. But at the time, it was (to me) the first ever Rush album with skip tracks.

This is true. Power Windows casts an impossibly long shadow. I do wish HYF had taken more of a turn production wise, which might have kept it from feeling like a lesser second attempt at Power Windows.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6964 on: December 01, 2023, 02:28:09 PM »

Unfortunately, not for me.  I'm not TAC, but Power Windows was not perfection even if it was a MASSIVE step forward from the abysmal Grace Under Pressure. After (but including) p/g, all Rush records were a cornucopia of excellent songs mixed with... not excellent songs.   HYF seemed to have a preponderance of the former.