Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497970 times)

Snow Dog and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6895 on: November 15, 2023, 05:22:12 PM »
Tim knows is UFO/Rush history.

And slippers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6896 on: November 16, 2023, 05:18:30 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Scotty.

Just reading that makes it clear how much Geddy misses his band and playing music.   The selfish fan in me wants him and Alex to never go on as Rush without Neil, but the human fan in me realizes that if that is what he wants to do, then it is what it is.  I suspect Alex's health issues and his wish to never travel and tour again means it won't happen, although I could go see them doing a one-off show or two where they play the music of Rush, while not billing themselves as Rush per se.  "Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson play the music of Rush" or something like that.
I could see that happening. Maybe organize it like a Marillion Weekend in Toronto and have a rotating list of guest drummers. I could think of about 100 drummers that would jump at the chance to do that.

Don't know if I can ever see that happening, but It's more likely than anything else that has been suggested other than benefit gigs.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6897 on: November 16, 2023, 05:21:47 PM »
I remember watching that 1993 All Star game with my dad. I was just getting in to Rush at that time, but enough of a fan to sit up when they announced he was singing the anthem. Afterward my dad said something along the lines of "well, that was alright, I guess, and who was that again?"

That was not a good rendition. He was scared to death. That's the only time he ever did that

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6898 on: November 16, 2023, 05:27:23 PM »
The point is, Rocky would be amazing.

I don't think I could listen to her very long.

Who's Rocky?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6899 on: November 16, 2023, 05:29:53 PM »

And slippers.

Tim saw the documentary.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6900 on: November 16, 2023, 05:31:02 PM »

And slippers.

Tim saw the documentary.

Tim's an expert on UFO, actually.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6901 on: November 16, 2023, 05:40:18 PM »
And Glee.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6902 on: November 16, 2023, 05:59:04 PM »
I thought I had posted last night's show that I was at. (It was awesome!) but I think it just got taken down by you tube)

Shirt designs sucked but the litho and baseball cards were really cool so I ended up with that.

Don't know what happened.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6903 on: November 16, 2023, 06:01:03 PM »

And slippers.

Tim saw the documentary.

Don't doubt that. UFO mentions slippers and GLEE outside of the doc?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6904 on: November 16, 2023, 06:50:46 PM »
I thought I had posted last night's show that I was at. (It was awesome!) but I think it just got taken down by you tube)

Shirt designs sucked but the litho and baseball cards were really cool so I ended up with that.

Don't know what happened.

Got it after a restart. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2QcaAJ2vk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6905 on: November 16, 2023, 07:01:32 PM »

And slippers.

Tim saw the documentary.

Geddy talks about it in Pete Way's (UFO bassist) autobiography. The two bands were quite affectionate with each other. In Martin Popoff's Lights Out, Alex talks about how the UFO guys would stand on the side of the stage in "granny robes and fluffy slippers".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6906 on: November 20, 2023, 06:08:19 PM »

And slippers.

Tim saw the documentary.

Geddy talks about it in Pete Way's (UFO bassist) autobiography. The two bands were quite affectionate with each other. In Martin Popoff's Lights Out, Alex talks about how the UFO guys would stand on the side of the stage in "granny robes and fluffy slippers".

Cool! Thanks for that.

I know nothing about UFO.  Is Lights Out one of their songs?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6907 on: November 20, 2023, 06:11:17 PM »

Online HOF

« Reply #6908 on: November 20, 2023, 09:14:13 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6909 on: November 21, 2023, 05:54:51 AM »
I'm not sure if this was posted yet or not?  30 minute interview from the CBC last week

Geddy Lee explains his Effin’ Life | Extended interview
CBC News: The National

00:00 How do you introduce yourself?
01:58 Life-changing Led Zeppelin moment
03:37 Early days of touring with KISS
05:11 Sharing his parents' Holocaust story
08:51 Rush’s post about the Hamas attacks
10:18 Getting the perfect sound with Rush
14:28 Best Rush album to pick up first?
15:20 Meaning behind the song ‘Freewill’
17:07 When did you start feeling successful?
19:36 Any musical regrets?
22:41 What’s life like for you now?
26:27 Heading out on a different kind of tour
27:28 If you spotted someone in a Rush t-shirt?
28:28 What’s up with the appliances?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6910 on: November 21, 2023, 06:55:10 AM »
FINALLY!

This will answer questions. Carry on.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/rush-future-geddy-lee-neil-peart-alex-lifeson-1234886149/

I loved every part of this answer:

Did you get the sense that he [Paul McCartney] knew your music?
No, but I got the sense he knew who we were and had heard about us. He had never listened to us. So at the show, he was there. He watched the set. I think he was really curious because people probably had mentioned us to him.

But after the show, he was incredible. He was so warm and embracing and positive. He came and sat and drank with us. We all got plastered together. And he was very emphatic, talking about, “You know what Ringo always says: ‘It’s what we do.'” And I said, “Talk to Al, because he’s the stubborn one.” And so he was lecturing Al about how great it is to tour. “You have to do it, man. You have to get back out there, man.” And Alex said something like, “I’ll do it, if you’ll be our manager.” “I’ll manage you, mate!” It was really fun, really funny, but he had a point. That’s the way he looks at life. He’s ageless because he really, truly believes he was born to do this. That’s what you do. And you just do it. You don’t question it. And I think we all sometimes forget that.

Haha, "no".   But more importantly, for some of these people, it's not a job.  And I love that.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6911 on: November 21, 2023, 09:17:32 AM »
Lee and Lifeson sounds nice.
“Lee and Lifeson Play the Songs of Rush.” That really sounds like an old-fart Eighties band.

:lol

I got My Effin Life last week, and I more or less devoured most of the book on Friday night. I kinda skipped around, and I'm now doing a straight read through of it, but man, I had high expectations for this book, and Ged surpassed them! Without spoiling anything, the main take away for me was how much love and respect Dirk, Pratt and Lerxst had for one another. There will never be another band like Rush!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6913 on: November 22, 2023, 07:41:25 PM »
How about Gedda Lifeson?

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6914 on: November 22, 2023, 07:49:11 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6915 on: November 22, 2023, 07:51:23 PM »
I don't want to post the picture of Geddy's face on Alex's body I saw today on Facebook. Lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6916 on: November 22, 2023, 07:53:21 PM »
I don't want to post the picture of Geddy's face on Alex's body I saw today on Facebook. Lol

I posted this on one of the FB groups...people freaked out!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6917 on: November 22, 2023, 08:07:28 PM »
Seriously. Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6918 on: November 22, 2023, 08:09:35 PM »

Why not?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6919 on: November 22, 2023, 08:15:11 PM »

Why not?

I never saved it. If I find it I'll send it to you. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6921 on: November 23, 2023, 02:06:26 AM »
I started a deep dive listen through their catalogue chronologically a few days ago. I'm putting more focus now into some songs that I don't listen to as much as others, and I've gotten a new appreciation for some "forgotten" songs along the way (like Rivendell, The Necromancer, The Fountain Of Lamneth, and Tears). I'm also reading up online about the albums, recording details and interviews as I go along.

I'm up to AFTK now - songs like Madrigal and Cinderella Man are just lovely, I don't know why I don't listen to those songs more than I do. And Cygnus X-1 is such a trip. That one needs a few more spins :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #6922 on: November 23, 2023, 07:43:41 AM »
do y'all ever wish Phish would cover Rush, either a one-off song, or an entire album of theirs as a Halloween costume?

Unrelated, I saw Primus do a Rush album in full a year or two ago and it ruled; I think Phish could really do Rush justice, they're all great players!

harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6923 on: November 23, 2023, 07:45:22 AM »
If you like Phish or Primus, and Rush, then I suppose it'd be cool enough.

Let's put it this way.. I'd rather Phish play Rush than Phish play Phish.

« Reply #6924 on: November 23, 2023, 07:51:30 AM »
it's always kind of surprised me that more prog folk weren't into Phish. sure, they're a jam band, but at their core is a prog adjacent band that is super talented and can really write and play some great music. I'm the first one to say the lyrics are weird and the vocals aren't great but I've always found Phish and bands like DT to be very close, musically

I also read that MP/JP were inspired by Phish for their album cover performances, and MP has cited Phish as the inspiration for the heavily rotating setlists they did during his first tenure

EDIT: sorry, didn't mean to move the thread off topic, I was just thinking that it was weird Phish hasn't covered Rush before and it's so strange to me!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6925 on: November 23, 2023, 07:53:39 AM »
Tim, I saw Phish once and it was a great experience even though I'm not into jam bands much.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6926 on: November 23, 2023, 07:59:17 AM »
Tim, I saw Phish once and it was a great experience even though I'm not into jam bands much.

You prefer jelly?  ;D

Any band live has the opportunity to impress.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6927 on: November 23, 2023, 08:00:12 AM »
And they did.

Online HOF

« Reply #6928 on: November 23, 2023, 08:47:54 AM »
Phish did play Watcher of the Skies when Genesis were inducted in the to R&R HOF, so I guess a Rush cover by Fish could happen. The clip of the blank looks from celebs as those opening mellotron chords go on and on is priceless.

« Reply #6929 on: November 23, 2023, 08:54:25 AM »
Phish did play Watcher of the Skies when Genesis were inducted in the to R&R HOF, so I guess a Rush cover by Fish could happen. The clip of the blank looks from celebs as those opening mellotron chords go on and on is priceless.

Phish has covered Yes, entire Pink Floyd albums, etc before. They're definitely no strangers to prog
Welcome to the Forums!