Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497920 times)

Adami, TheHoveringSojourn808, Anguyen92 and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6860 on: November 12, 2023, 11:19:25 PM »
Well, as someone who was 100% fine with Rush's 2015 ending and has been steadfast since that they should let it lie and not do anything again, it does bring a little tear to the eye to see Geddy out there again doing interviews and promo for the book tours.  It reminds me of those many years as an adult when Rush was active, where it was easy to take for granted that another album and tour was just around the corner.  Just seeing him talk about the band and their music warms the heart.  :hat :hat
Couldn't agree more. What I'm really looking forward to are the reports (or even videos) of him responding to various questions at his appearances. I'd bet at least some of the questions he'll answer will be for the more in-depth fans and he won't just focus on the softball ones.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #6861 on: November 13, 2023, 12:05:42 PM »
What would you think if Rush toured with Mike Mangini?
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6862 on: November 13, 2023, 12:19:07 PM »

Nah.  I don't want to see Rush tour again with a different drummer, but if I had to pick someone, I think the best choices I have seen are Gavin Harrison and Danny Carey.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6863 on: November 13, 2023, 12:24:09 PM »
I could see them bring in Tim Alexander from Primus. They are friends and I think he would be an amazing choice to sit in. He crushed A Farewell To Kings when I saw Primus do it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #6864 on: November 13, 2023, 12:52:31 PM »

This is interesting to think about. I think NP would love to see the boys continue on without him. I mean, we all know it started without him anyway!

I think a good choice would be either MM, or maybe Tim Alexander or even Jay Lane (both Primus drummers). Maybe even Devin Townsend's drummer could hold it up behind the throne
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6865 on: November 13, 2023, 01:04:12 PM »
I never got to see Rush live.

I would understand if they don't want to do it again, and I would equally understand if they wanted to, and really, it's up to them.  If they go back out on the road, I hope to see them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6866 on: November 13, 2023, 01:14:19 PM »
I've seen them two times, Rush rules.  Would love to see Lee/Lifeson together, but don't want to see the name Rush

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #6867 on: November 13, 2023, 01:15:55 PM »
I've seen them two times, Rush rules.  Would love to see Lee/Lifeson together, but don't want to see the name Rush

let's just call it Brush then, cuz man is Mike Mangini's snare brush gonna make you shit your pants with excitement
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #6868 on: November 13, 2023, 01:47:51 PM »
I won't begrudge Geddy and Alex if they want to do something where they want to play Rush songs, but maybe they could so something like what Queen and Adam Lambert is doing and have it title as something like Rush and (fill in the blanks) or Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson on tour, playing the music of Rush.

I never get to see Rush myself and if those two wants to do something of a set of Rush songs in LA and they got someone they know well and can get the job done, I'm there.

Online HOF

« Reply #6869 on: November 13, 2023, 02:08:38 PM »
If for whatever reason Geddy and Alex felt compelled to go out as Rush with a new drummer, I would want them to drag Paul Craddick out of his apparent musical retirement.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6870 on: November 13, 2023, 02:39:13 PM »
Who is Paul Craddick?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6871 on: November 13, 2023, 02:40:07 PM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6872 on: November 13, 2023, 02:58:24 PM »
Enchant's drummer and I also think he's really great! Something very Rush influenced from them: https://open.spotify.com/track/3l45oWuG4aBqaWakAqGVY0?si=JK1VtGIfRdOerzwXKbRUcg (Enchant - Paint the Picture)
I would love to see Lee and Lifeson making new music together, but I would prefer they wouldn't use the Rush's name. I think they have the right and deserve to use it, but I think would be classier to not do that. But nothing that bad if they do, there's a business reason for sure. I think it would be very interesting if they break the Rush pattern and make a tour with a keyboard player and a 2nd guitar player, playing everything live.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6873 on: November 13, 2023, 03:11:30 PM »
They already have a series of shirts out there with the name Rash. Pretty simple to go out as Rash.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6874 on: November 13, 2023, 03:13:01 PM »
 :D :D really good idea!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6875 on: November 13, 2023, 03:15:26 PM »
Geddy couldn't even sing the songs 8 years ago, why would anyone want to hear him tour now??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #6876 on: November 13, 2023, 03:16:56 PM »
Enchant's drummer and I also think he's really great! Something very Rush influenced from them: https://open.spotify.com/track/3l45oWuG4aBqaWakAqGVY0?si=JK1VtGIfRdOerzwXKbRUcg (Enchant - Paint the Picture)
I would love to see Lee and Lifeson making new music together, but I would prefer they wouldn't use the Rush's name. I think they have the right and deserve to use it, but I think would be classier to not do that. But nothing that bad if they do, there's a business reason for sure. I think it would be very interesting if they break the Rush pattern and make a tour with a keyboard player and a 2nd guitar player, playing everything live.

Yeah, lots of guys out there who have been influenced by Peart, but I always felt that Craddick just had a similar overall feel to Neal that went beyond the technical aspects of drumming.

Online HOF

« Reply #6877 on: November 13, 2023, 03:18:59 PM »
Geddy couldn't even sing the songs 8 years ago, why would anyone want to hear him tour now??

But yeah, I don’t see any reason for Rush to come out of retirement now. They went out at a good time when you could tell they were in decline but before things got really bad. At 70 now, I wouldn’t expect Geddy to put on much of a show vocally. Maybe if they also got another singer and didn’t call it Rush it would be fun to see them play a variety of material including some Rush tunes.

Online pg1067

« Reply #6878 on: November 13, 2023, 03:49:02 PM »

Maybe my memory is failing here, but I'm pretty sure they said they would never perform as Rush without Neil.  That being the case, and while I recognize that people can change their minds, I'd be disappointed "if Rush toured with" any other drummer.  On the other hand, both Lee and Lifeson said that they did not intend to retire as musicians and that they might perform together.  Of course, the distinction between "Rush" performing with some other drummer and "Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson and Tom the Drummer" performing Rush songs is probably semantic at best, I suspect it's a meaningful distinction to a lot of Rush fans.

A valid point.  They certainly could do put together a 4-piece band with Lee, Lifeson, Tom the Drummer and Sally the Singer.

I nominate Rocky Kuner:  https://youtu.be/IyhEtICEbZw?si=ddmL-azU0_Q1_3Uv (vocals start around 4:15).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6879 on: November 13, 2023, 04:14:26 PM »
I know it's hard not to, but I won't put any stock in anything said until Ged and Al make some sort of formal announcement. I am sure those two want to play together. But I am sure they also know that when they do, there will be a lot of emotions again, particularly if it is part of a tour (not just doing a song or two for a benefit). They've played without Neil before, they've played without Neil after, they'll likely play again.

But I'm content to let things be what it is. if they change their mind and go out as Rush, cool. I mean, they WERE Rush before Neil. If they hold true and call the band a different name, that's cool too. And if they just decide to do a tour that honors Rush's back catalog as a series of events with rotating drummers, that's fine as well. Bottom line, Ged and Al have given us a lifetime of music. What they choose to do, if anything, is fine with me.

Looking forward to Ged's book thing. I can't believe how quickly it is coming up. 11/26 for me in San Fran. Two weeks!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6880 on: November 13, 2023, 04:35:36 PM »
Of course, the distinction between "Rush" performing with some other drummer and "Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson and Tom the Drummer" performing Rush songs is probably semantic at best, I suspect it's a meaningful distinction to a lot of Rush fans.
Yeah, I think it would make a difference to a sizable amount of the fan base. It would for me personally.

But besides Geddy's vocals (assuming he'd be the vocalist), I think the other big concern would be Al's arthritis. I mean that was something he was kinda talking about way back in 2014 (IIRC, one of the reasons why he wanted to tour in 2015, much to Neil's chagrin), so now almost 10 years later, I can't imagine it being any easier. Plus his comments about not wanting to tour any more.

I'd imagine at best we'd see some sort of tribute concert or maybe a few to cover different parts of the world like they did for Foo Fighters. Beyond that, I just can't see them doing any sizable number of shows like a tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6881 on: November 13, 2023, 05:02:37 PM »

I am surprised more people aren't considering this.  He definitely struggled the last few tours, and while years of rest may certainly have helped, I have no delusion that his 70-year old voice is suddenly going to get better.  He did the best he could, and when you consider the way he belted it out in his younger days, it's amazing that his voice held up as long as it did. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6882 on: November 13, 2023, 07:11:45 PM »

A valid point.  They certainly could do put together a 4-piece band with Lee, Lifeson, Tom the Drummer and Sally the Singer.

I nominate Rocky Kuner:  https://youtu.be/IyhEtICEbZw?si=ddmL-azU0_Q1_3Uv (vocals start around 4:15).
Could you imagine Ged, Al, Rocky, and then.....hmm......I'm not sure who I'd want to see on drums with them. I know Danny Carey was good friends with Neil, but I don't know if he has the same sort of relationship with Geddy and Alex. Mike Portnoy would be an obvious choice, but since he just got back with DT I don't know if he'd want to start jumping into more bands at this point. Gavin Harrison could definitely play the parts and there could be an in, since Alex played on a Porcupine Tree album.

The point is, Rocky would be amazing.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6883 on: November 13, 2023, 07:15:15 PM »

I don't think I could listen to her very long.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6884 on: November 13, 2023, 07:39:18 PM »

Honestly, she sounds like a cartoon character (based on the posted clip).  Hard pass.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #6885 on: November 13, 2023, 09:53:48 PM »
Just got back from Geddy's 1st stop on his promotional tour for his book at NYC's Beacon Theatre.  It was awesome!  Paul Rudd was the special guest host.  It started with Paul interviewing Geddy for close to an hour.  After that, he read a few chapters of his book.  It ended with Geddy answering about 10-12 audience-submitted questions.  They ranged from "Who are your influences as a keyboardist and composer" to "What do you thing of the new rule changes in baseball".  Geddy got choked up on a few occasions when speaking of Neil.  And, we all walked away with a copy of the book.  He said it was his 1st time on a public stage without his brothers since Rush ended.  It was a really special event to get to see.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6886 on: November 13, 2023, 10:00:12 PM »

Honestly, she sounds like a cartoon character (based on the posted clip).  Hard pass.
Honestly that's not the greatest cover with her. I prefer this one of Natural Science https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmP37I-S8o
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6887 on: November 14, 2023, 06:24:44 AM »
Just got back from Geddy's 1st stop on his promotional tour for his book at NYC's Beacon Theatre.  It was awesome!  Paul Rudd was the special guest host.  It started with Paul interviewing Geddy for close to an hour.  After that, he read a few chapters of his book.  It ended with Geddy answering about 10-12 audience-submitted questions.  They ranged from "Who are your influences as a keyboardist and composer" to "What do you thing of the new rule changes in baseball".  Geddy got choked up on a few occasions when speaking of Neil.  And, we all walked away with a copy of the book.  He said it was his 1st time on a public stage without his brothers since Rush ended.  It was a really special event to get to see.

Thanks for posting that review!  :tup :tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6888 on: November 14, 2023, 08:14:09 AM »

Thanks for sharing. Good to know the format. Looking forward to it in 12 days!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6889 on: November 15, 2023, 03:54:37 PM »
Geddy on the Dan Patrick show..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0CjGQ3RoKM

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6890 on: November 15, 2023, 04:03:14 PM »
Just watched that Tim. Excellent interview. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6891 on: November 15, 2023, 04:10:49 PM »
Love the UFO mention!!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6892 on: November 15, 2023, 04:15:06 PM »
GLEE!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6893 on: November 15, 2023, 04:53:10 PM »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6894 on: November 15, 2023, 05:09:39 PM »