Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497506 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6825 on: October 25, 2023, 06:59:37 PM »
New Geddy Lee tv series….

https://youtu.be/ds6LCsgXKEE?si=R2-YTphuZ750d1ih

Awesome. Looks like he gets to play Jaco Pastorius' Bass of Doom.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6826 on: October 25, 2023, 08:48:51 PM »
Looks cool.  We already have Paramount+ so I'm all set. :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6827 on: October 26, 2023, 09:15:16 AM »
Oh that's really awesome, I can't wait to watch it.

Online nick_z

« Reply #6828 on: October 26, 2023, 03:42:03 PM »
That’s exciting! I already have Paramount+ for my soccer, so I’m all set!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6829 on: October 26, 2023, 06:29:02 PM »
New Geddy Lee tv series….

https://youtu.be/ds6LCsgXKEE?si=R2-YTphuZ750d1ih

WTF?  Portnoy back in Dream Theater and Geddy's a reality TV star?  I got nothin.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #6830 on: October 27, 2023, 05:33:47 AM »
About Geddy's book touring

Sorry, won't go.  Way too expensive for what it is.  About the same prices of a concert in that venue.  Everything that he is going to say, I will read it in the book.  Travelling, parking spot, a beer or 2 .... gonna cost over 200$ easily.  I will buy the book in a minute.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 08:18:48 AM by red barchetta »
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6831 on: October 29, 2023, 01:09:44 PM »
Happy 45th Birthday to Rush's sixth studio album, Hemispheres.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6832 on: October 29, 2023, 04:34:45 PM »

-Marc.

Still probably the greatest rock album ever recorded.

….even slightly better than Power Windows. :neverusethis:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6833 on: October 29, 2023, 05:55:58 PM »
I'm excited about Geddy's book tour.  Maybe everything he says will indeed be covered in the book, but I imagine there will at least be little things that come up during an event like that.  And hearing someone speak is a different experience than reading.  I'm not sure how many other chances there will be to see him in person, so I'm glad it's happening.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 05:25:42 PM by Lethean »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6834 on: October 30, 2023, 04:24:35 PM »

-Marc.

Is it better than Presto and Feedback though???

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6835 on: October 30, 2023, 06:09:25 PM »

-Marc.

Is it better than Presto and Feedback though???

At least Power Windows is better than Feedback.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6836 on: November 03, 2023, 10:28:10 PM »
I'm excited about Teddy's book tour.  Maybe everything he says will indeed be covered in the book, but I imagine there will at least be little things that come up during an event like that.  And hearing someone speak is a different experience than reading.  I'm not sure how many other chances there will be to see him in person, so I'm glad it's happening.

Don't know if this will happen in the US but in addition to the book, attendees will be getting a program with unpublished stories and photos.  Not exactly the author's cut I was hoping for, but still pretty cool.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6837 on: November 07, 2023, 07:45:06 AM »
From yesterday’s ‘The Athletic https://theathletic.com/5022106/2023/11/06/geddy-lee-rush-baseball-collection/

’How Canadian rock star Geddy Lee of Rush became an unlikely archivist of America’s pastime'

Speaking on the phone from his home office, Geddy Lee asks if he can take a second to grab one particular baseball. He knows its story by heart but wants to get it exactly right, in its own words. Of the hundreds of baseballs Lee has collected, this ball is among the least valuable. There are items in his collection worth well over $100,000. They are signed by U.S. presidents and baseball Hall of Famers; they have been thrown in no-hitters and hit for milestone home runs.

But Lee has reached for a ball signed by Bert Shepard, a left-handed pitcher who pitched exactly one game in the major leagues before fading into obscurity. When Shepard signed the ball, he found room between the seams to write his life’s story.

“I lost my right leg being shot down over Germany in World War II,” Lee says, reading from the ink. “I got a new leg and pitched for the Washington Senators.”

At this, Lee starts laughing, but it’s an emotional laugh, as if the smile is helping him choke back something more. Lee’s parents were Holocaust survivors.

“And then on August 14, 1945,” Lee continues, “gave up one run and three hits in five and one-third innings.”

It is a box score brought to vivid, handwritten life, and when the bulk of Lee’s memorabilia goes to auction next month, that ball will not be among the items for sale. How could anyone put a price on something like that?

“To me, it’s kind of just a miraculous thing,” Lee said.

If there is such a thing as wholesome indulgence, this is it. Lee, 70, is the singer and renowned bass player of the Canadian rock band Rush. He is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, his signature literally etched into its walls. He is a rock star in every sense of the word.

But Lee is also a meticulous curator of the American pastime. Over many decades, Lee has filled his office with baseball treasures. He has a a 1917 Chicago White Sox ball signed by Shoeless Joe Jackson, a 1942 Negro Leagues ball signed by Josh Gibson, and a Mickey Mantle bat that’s been traced back to the 1960 World Series. He also has a ball signed by The Beatles and four signed by John F. Kennedy. It is a collection of Rock and Roll excess, but also of passion and stewardship.

Some 300 items from Lee’s collection will be auctioned by Christie’s on December 6. It is being billed as “Selections from The Collection of Geddy Lee,” and the auction house has estimated The Beatles ball alone to be worth upwards of $300,000. Same for the Mantle bat and a ball signed by Rube Waddell. One of the Kennedy autographs could fetch $100,000. It’s a lot of money.

“If you really look at it from an abstract point of view, it’s greed,” Lee said. “You want to own the game. You want to own a piece of every great player, to hold in your hand a ball that was signed by Lou Gehrig. It just became a magnificent obsession for me.”

What’s telling, though, are the pieces Lee has decided to keep, and the unmistakable care with which he accumulated so many artifacts in the first place.

“Baseballs, nobody owns them,” Lee said. “They’re like houses. You take care of them for a while, and then they move on to the next person, the next custodian.”

Lee always liked baseball, even if he was never ticketed for the major leagues. As a kid in Toronto, he tried out for a local team but didn’t make it. He grew up listening to American League broadcasts from Buffalo and fell in love with Norm Cash, Al Kaline and the potent Tigers teams of the 1960s. * Toronto had a Triple A team in those days — the Blue Jays wouldn’t arrive for more than a decade — and Lee took a streetcar to see the pros play. He can still picture the wooden bleachers.

By the 1970s, though, Lee was a musician. Playing the game had been replaced by playing on stage, and so he toured the U.S. and Canada, sleeping in hotel rooms past noon, eating breakfast at 1 p.m., and searching the television for something worth watching in the middle of the day. What he found were Cubs games on WGN and eventually Braves games on TBS. His passion was rekindled, and Lee was wired for obsession.

When the broadcasts mentioned players from bygone eras, Lee thumbed through The Baseball Encyclopedia and thrilled at the colorful nicknames of the past. He read Hoopla by Harry Stein and The Southpaw by Mark Harris. He discovered the writings of Roger Angell and Roger Kahn. In 1979, he returned home from tour and contacted the Blue Jays — in their third year of existence and on their way to a third-straight 100-loss season — and purchased season tickets, which he shared with his brother.

“We would ride our bikes down to the old Exhibition Stadium and watch game after game,” Lee said. “As many as I could when I wasn’t on the road.”

Rush already had three albums certified gold. In a little more than a year, the band would begin recording its iconic, five-times-platinum Moving Pictures. For that summer, though, Lee was just a 25-year-old kid riding his bike to baseball games with his brother.

Perhaps he’s being coy, but Lee says he “inherited” the ball signed by every member of the 3,000-hit club. It came to him with more than 20 signatures — Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Tris Speaker, Stan Musial — and through various connections in the game, Lee’s been able to keep it up to date. Ichiro Suzuki. Miguel Cabrera. Albert Pujols.

“It’s a big job to keep adding to it,” Lee said. “And I’m running out of space, too!”

Lee was hesitant at first to ask for autographs. His bandmate Neil Peart was notoriously leery of the celebrity spotlight, and Lee didn’t like the idea of hassling ballplayers on the field or in the clubhouse. He came into autograph collecting by chance. His blossoming obsession led to a Blue Jays front-office connection who gifted Lee and his brother a set of baseballs signed by various American League players. With those tucked away at home, Lee was on tour in Kansas City when he stumbled upon a memorabilia shop and purchased a signed photo of Satchel Paige and another of Bobby Thomson’s “shot heard round the world.”

Soon after, he called that Kansas City shop looking for advice on obtaining a specific item.

“I got in my head — and I think this is how every collector starts — wouldn’t it be cool to have a baseball signed by Babe Ruth?” Lee said.

The shop owner became a dear friend and mentor who eventually got him a Ruth ball. When Lee acquired the 3,000-hit ball, it was the shop owner who encouraged him to keep adding signatures; to not just admire a piece of history but to maintain it and enhance it.

The rock star talked for a half hour without swearing until he was asked whether he’s still in the fantasy baseball league he joined in the 1980s.

“Oh, f— yeah I am!” Lee said.

In the wake of the Moving Pictures album, when Rush was bigger than ever, Lee immersed himself in rotisserie baseball at a time when the hobby required a daily check of newspaper box scores. His league has grown notoriously complex and competitive, with minor-league players, long-term keepers and defensive statistics to make lineup building as realistic as possible. Lee sounded almost embarrassed to admit he hadn’t won it since 2019. Four whole years without a trophy, when his Blue Jays are just starting their fourth decade without one.

This season, Lee said, was something of a moral victory. He got off to such a bad start that, “I actually pondered whether I was getting too old for it.” But he traded for Pablo López, picked up Kodai Senga and Elly De La Cruz, and got a strong second half from Triston Casas. He finished in a respectable fourth place.

“When the season ends,” he said. “My God, I miss the box scores so much.”

Truth is, Lee has his own place in baseball history. It’s a footnote in the grand scheme of things, but it exists. Rush songs have been used as walk-up music, and former Padres play-by-play man Matt Vasgersian once called a home run by singing the chorus to Fly By Night on the air. Lee threw the ceremonial first pitch for the Blue Jays’ home opener in 2013, and he sang the Canadian national anthem for the All-Star Game in 1993. With no pitch pipe and no accompaniment, Lee walked up the microphone and sang a cappella  — but not before someone from the TV network told him he would be “happy to know” 80 million people were watching from home, which did little to calm his nerves.

“The whole thing wound up being a very marvelous experience for me and very memorable,” Lee said. “But it’s one of those things: Once you do it once, why would you do it again?”

Lee’s brother-in-law took a picture of him from the stands, and 30 years later, that picture is still framed in Lee’s office. He also added to his baseball collection that day, though he didn’t mean to. Marlins closer Bryan Harvey, whom Lee didn’t know, gave him a baseball before the first pitch.

“And he just said, ‘This is for your son,’” Lee said. “I mean, how sweet is that?”

Lee is a collector by nature and a student of history by choice. He has collected art and wine, he wrote a book about his collection of bass guitars and he’s recently begun collecting watches. The baseball collection, he said, has given him a greater understanding of American history. He has a 1946 Montreal Royals baseball with Jackie Robinson’s signature on the sweet spot.

“As a Canadian, that’s a marvelous piece,” Lee said.

As a collector, though, Lee has come to believe that “collections need to be tended, and they need to be fed.” And in recent years, Lee realized he’d stopped feeding his baseball collection. In 2008, he purchased more than 200 baseballs signed by Negro League players and immediately donated the entire set to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. He’s made enough connections that people in the game still gift him artifacts, but he won’t sell any of the gifts. They’re priceless in their own way.

“I kept a lot of personal things, and a lot of things that I felt my grandson perhaps would be interested to take over eventually in time,” Lee said.

Lee will sell the many baseballs in his collection that are signed by U.S. Presidents (an obsession back when he was still aggressively adding). He has Kennedy, Harry Truman, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Lyndon B. Johnson, and some of the signatures are on actual ceremonial first-pitch baseballs. He will also sell the final-out balls from both of Johnny Vander Meer’s back-to-back no-hitters, themselves historical artifacts from a different angle.

Packing his office for the sale, Lee said, was an emotional experience. Each item had a history and a story, and some of them Lee had acquired in especially memorable ways. They meant something beyond their hefty price tags. But when Lee was finished packing, he dug into his archive to better display the items he was not ready or willing to let go.

“Within three days, my wife came into the office and said, ‘I thought you sold your baseballs!’” Lee said. “I said, ‘Well, yeah, some!’”

Some stories, and some baseballs, just aren’t for sale.

“Those are symbolic of the life of a person, to me,” Lee said. “I sit in the stands as a fan, and I marvel about the beauty of the sport and the grace with which it’s played. In almost every game something happens that you’ve never seen before. I mean, what sport can really boast that? That’s baseball to me.

“The items I collected over these years, I collected with passion, I collected with love, and I just have too much! It’s time to share with the world again. And that’s fine.”

It’s kind of just a miraculous thing.

(Editor’s note: Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of this story misidentified several items up for auction as being from Geddy Lee’s collection; they were from a separate collection also up for auction.

(Top photo courtesy of Richard Sibbald)

My note:  I bolded and italicized one line that is in error.  This should have been 'Detroit', not 'Buffalo'.  Just as I did, he would have been listening to Ernie Harwell on WJR , 'The Great Voice of The Great Lakes', whose signal could be heard as far south as Georgia.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 04:34:14 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6838 on: November 07, 2023, 11:00:51 AM »
By the way, that The Athletic article is a paywall in which you got to find ways to get around it to read the article on the site.  Good stuff though that highlights Geddy's passion for collecting baseball memorabilia and the history that comes with it.  I also like that tidbit where a shop owner, after he gave a signed ball of guys that's in the 3k hits club to Geddy, to encourage Geddy to get more players that passed the 3,000 hits mark in the future to sign onto it if he's able to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6839 on: November 07, 2023, 11:14:29 AM »
That's kind of awesome!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6840 on: November 07, 2023, 01:06:34 PM »
There's some discussion in the MLB thread about this.  If you haven't seen Geddy's episode of The Big Interview with Dan Rather, it's well worth the watch.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6841 on: November 07, 2023, 04:31:26 PM »
Geddy can be seen at many, many Blue Jay games.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6842 on: November 07, 2023, 04:39:17 PM »
By the way, that The Athletic article is a paywall in which you got to find ways to get around it to read the article on the site. 

I subscribed a couple of months ago for a buck a month.  Probably the best dollar I spent. I knew people wouldn't be able to read all the article, thus the copy/paste to Word and then here. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6843 on: November 07, 2023, 05:39:57 PM »
^^ Yeah, I just opted to not give them the pleasure of giving that dollar a month since extended coverage of the team I follow hasn't been quite there for some time.  Plus some of the writers there makes me angry.  That said, there are great writers there that can write very detailed and deep articles highlighting sports stories that people may not have known, like elaborating more on Geddy being a huge baseball fan.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6844 on: November 10, 2023, 01:12:17 PM »
Seems there's been several articles appearing in various newspapers about Geddy to promote his upcoming tour which you can read on their respective websites:
https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/geddy-lee-had-zero-interest-in-a-memoir-here-s-what-finally-made-him-look/article_ea267f35-ce62-5778-8198-f5b1655a26af.html

https://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/music/2023/11/10/rush-singer-geddy-lee-i-wasnt-the-nerd-i-thought-i-was/

https://longislandweekly.com/time-stands-still-for-geddy-lee-in-new-memoir/

There's also one on the Washington Post. For those who subscribe, here's the link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/2023/11/10/geddy-lee-rush-band-memoir-reunion/

For those who don't subscribe, I managed to access it, so I thought I'd share it:

There was never a band like Rush. Geddy Lee doesn’t want to forget it.

It took a series of losses for the high-voiced rock star to confront his personal history. It all came out in his new memoir.

TORONTO — Gershon Eliezer Weinrib’s dark hair still falls past his shoulders. In most rooms of his home, a bass sits within reach. And as he watches his beloved Blue Jays from his seat behind home plate, there’s always some guy lingering nearby, waiting for the moment to thrust out a hand and blurt: “I just wanted to say hi. I’m a huge fan.”

Weinrib, better known as Geddy Lee, played his final show as the octave-bending frontman of Rush eight years ago. At the time, though, he still held out hope for an encore, which didn’t seem unreasonable. The prog-rock trio was a giant of 1970s FM radio, filling arenas with a sound that melded the proto-metal of Hendrix or Led Zeppelin with the nerdy, noodling precision of Yes or early Genesis, while their graduate-level lyrics evoked Ayn Rand, Samuel R. Delany or John Dos Passos, to the delight of fans who kept coming back for decades even after they cut their hair and sold their Trans Ams.

Lee can talk eloquently about birdwatching, baseball and what he looks for in a great burgundy. But his response is blunt when he’s asked if he misses his band.

“F---, yeah.”

A band, it’s often said, is like a marriage. Except most married couples get to spend a few hours apart each day. A band eats together, bunks together and rambles together from gig to gig in that rusty Econoline or, when fortune strikes, a posh tour bus. And if that band is lucky enough to score a bona fide hit, the bitter battles over money, credit and fame can rupture the union as brutally as a divorce.

But Rush was an unbreakable unit from the moment Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart began playing together in July 1974. No 2-to-1 votes; everything had to be unanimous. Debates were fine, but voices were never raised; drumsticks never flew through the air.

“I mean, I’m sure there were differences of opinion at times, but they always managed to work it out,” says Terry Brown, who produced Rush over its first decade.

During the era of the golden god, when jean-stuffing rockers roamed the Earth searching for drugs, groupies and TV sets to toss, the members of Rush seemed content keeping to themselves. “Every night after a show, the girls would line up, and my God, you can even be an ugly bastard like me and get laid,” Gene Simmons of Kiss recounted in a 2010 documentary on the band. “And none of the Rush guys ever did. I just never understood it. What the f--- did you do when you went back to your hotel room?”

The trio’s personal lives mirrored their collective commitment to the band — a relationship that Lee contemplated as he tried to cope with a series of losses over the past decade.

He lost Rush in 2015 after that final tour. He lost Peart in 2020. And he lost his mother, Mary, and their Saturday lunches and Yiddish one-liners, in 2021, when she died at 95. Those losses and the isolation of the pandemic left Lee, 70, struggling with an overwhelming sadness.

He had looked to his mother as a model of resilience. A Polish Jew, she had survived the concentration camps and found strength and purpose in preserving and sharing the stories that others preferred to forget.

So Lee decided to take stock of his own memories. And he began work on a project he had never intended to take on.

There never was a band like Rush. Despite the occasional forays into platform shoes and satin, none of them looked or acted much like rock stars. They mastered the kind of technical precision — experimenting with synthesizers and changing time signatures mid-tune — that gets you labeled as “classically trained,” which they weren’t. And in the era of headbanging and “Cat Scratch Fever,” they were singing 11-minute songs inspired by the epic poetry of Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

“Conform or be cast out,” Lee sang in “Subdivisions,” a 1982 song about the pressure to be like everybody else, which Rush would never succumb to.

“They lived that,” said Les Claypool, the frontman of the 1990s funk-metal band Primus. “When we toured with them in Europe, we got a lot of s--- from the press because it’s, like, why are you cutting-edge guys playing with these old dinosaurs? … From our perspective, these were our heroes.”

And what about the voice of Geddy Lee? In truth, it ranged no higher than that of Robert Plant, the keening powerhouse of Led Zeppelin, but early on, the strained, reedy quality of Lee’s vocal stylings was arresting — instantly recognizable and easily mocked. “A guinea pig with an amphetamine habit,” wrote the Montreal Gazette. “A munchkin giving a sermon,” sniffed the New York Times.

It didn’t matter. Lee had heard worse.

Growing up in Toronto in the 1960s, the greasers teased him about the size of his nose and joked that he rode to school on the “Jew bus.” It was only when he became friends with Steve Shutt — a future Hall of Fame hockey star — that the bullying let up.

Mary had tried to prepare her three children for this. She told them all about her journey — how she and her future husband, Morris, were just teenagers when they were rounded up by the Nazis and sent to Auschwitz. About the miracle of their survival and their reunion after the war, and about the antisemitism she feared they would face, as well.

Not long after Lee’s 12th birthday, Morris came home from work with what he thought was the flu. Lee remembers waking up later in the night to the screams: His father had had a heart attack and was dead at 45.

For the next 11 months, Lee found himself even more socially isolated, spending every day at shul to honor his father, in abidance of Jewish law. The experience set him apart and formed him as the nerd frontman he would become, forever shy yet anxious if he didn’t properly acknowledge his fans, never convinced he was truly a part of the rock star club.

Canada probably had something to do with it, as well.

“Growing up in Toronto, you were just sort of made to feel like a dollar’s worth 74 cents,” said comedian and actor Rick Moranis, a grammar school classmate of Lee’s. “You felt more like an appendage of the States or something like that. I mean, we drove to Buffalo to buy Beatle boots or blue jeans. … It felt very much like a foreign place that things hadn’t reached. Except on the radio.”

While his mother worked long hours at the family discount store, Lee and his siblings were left either with their deeply religious grandmother Bubbe Rose or largely to their own devices. Lee took to going to rock concerts with Shutt, and one day they both bought bass guitars.

A couple of weeks later, Shutt was at Lee’s house when Lee put a record on and started playing along.

“He’s just playing it. Boom, boom, boom, boom,” Shutt recalled. “And that’s when I knew Ged was going to be a bassist, and I was going to be a hockey player.”

Mary, boggled by the cultural upheaval of the decade, was unimpressed with her son’s musical acumen — and infuriated by his ever-growing hair. Rather than have a bar mitzvah photo taken of her son, Mary commissioned an artist to create a portrait. In the painting, she could keep his hair cropped.

“She would go into his room with a scissors when he was sleeping,” remembers Susie, his sister. “And I remember coming after her and grabbing her and going, no, no, no, you can’t do this.”

Geddy spent more time in his bedroom, listening to music and practicing. Eventually he dropped out of high school, to his mother’s dismay. Yet the two were very much built from the same stuff, said his younger brother, Allan.

“There’s a Holocaust instinct that comes out, like no matter what happens, we keep moving forward,” he added. “In 1965, women don’t go and take over a business and run a store and raise three kids. And [Geddy] clearly has a creative gene that needed to be nourished, and that’s what carried him through. … That sort of survival drive helped him stick with it. And he was very fortunate to meet partners who were like-minded. That is the real miracle of Rush.”

So … I’ve got a brain tumour.

Sounds like a joke right there, I know — but alas, no joke.

The email from Peart came in August 2016, just as Lee was beginning to contemplate that Rush might really be over.

The band had come to a similar crossroads in 1998, after Peart’s 19-year-old daughter was killed in a car accident and, less than a year later, his wife died of lung cancer. But Lee and Lifeson had given Peart space and emotional support, never asking him to play again until one day he said he was ready. And so Rush carried on for another dozen years.

They had no trouble filling rooms. Long after the heyday of their radio-friendliest hits — dawn-of-MTV songs such as “Tom Sawyer” in 1981 — they retained a deep fan base of guitar enthusiasts, headphone-wearing bros, the quiet army of young men in suburban basements across North America who needed a little more fiber in their hard-rock diet and didn’t care if it was no longer “cool.”

(And yes, it was mostly guys, which is why the scene of Paul Rudd and Jason Segel air-guitar-bonding at a Rush concert in the 2009 comedy “I Love You, Man” felt so true.)

Lee was frustrated when an exhausted Peart limited their 40th-anniversary tour to 30 dates in 2015, opting to go home rather than extend to Europe. Still, he hoped his friend would come around again — that Rush would carry on again, eventually. Until he got the email.

For the next three years, Lee maintained a promise not to talk about Peart’s illness, even when other friends tried to ask about him. The drummer was so private, he hired a publicist to keep the news from getting out.

“The thing he feared most was people sitting in his driveway singing ‘Closer to the Heart’ while he was going through this thing,” Lifeson says. “He was a very private person. If you became his friend, he was wonderful. But if not, he could be very aloof and tough.”

Lee and Lifeson would fly out to visit Peart, or “Peke” as they called him, in connection with some long-ago joke. Peart would pour them two fingers of Macallan, and then they would make fun of Lifeson (or “Leke,” as they called him).

One day, instead of offering him ice, Peart asked if Lee wanted bacon. He also wrote Lee a note addressing him as “Baby.” Lee’s many nicknames within the band included Deke, Dirk, Dekey — but never Baby, and this left him deeply rattled.

“He’s losing his life, but I’m watching his gray cells diminish, and this was the most incredible mind that I had personally known so intimately,” Lee recalled.

Nancy Young, his wife of 47 years, suggested he find a therapist to try to cope with his friend’s illness. It wasn’t enough, and soon he saw his mother begin to fail, as well. He began to consider the gravity of all this, “the potential of losing a life’s worth of memories.”

He talked about his grief with his friend Daniel Richler, a onetime punk rocker turned DJ and TV host, who lost his mother around the same time. They had worked together on “Geddy Lee’s Big Beautiful Book of Bass,” a more-than-400-page chronicle of Lee’s collection of instruments from 2018. Richler proposed a new exercise.

“I didn’t immediately suggest he write a memoir,” Richler recalled. “I said, ‘Let’s just send each other some amusing anecdotes by email of the earliest things we can remember in life, just for fun.’”

Lee would sit on his couch, punching out memories as they came back to him. The day he met Lifeson, through an introduction from their mutual pal Shutt. His first kiss with Nancy, then a redheaded teenager, in 1971. His trip with his mother to Poland, where they toured the barracks and gas chambers at Auschwitz, the World War II death camp run by Nazi Germany. All the early days of Rush, from their production choices to their sartorial decisions (those silk robes!). His gradual embrace of his Jewish identity (years after Kiss’s Simmons, also Jewish, told him to avoid wearing his mezuza necklace while they were touring the South).

Richler would read his work, fix a word or a sentence, or nudge him to explore a moment more deeply. Sure, that dinner was “great fun.” But tell me more about it.

“It was like a detective story,” Lee says now. “It was me trying to remember. So it became a memory game. And maybe after a few weeks, Daniel said, ‘You’re writing a book?’ I said, ‘I am.’”

“My Effin’ Life,” which will be released Tuesday by HarperCollins, is in effect the project that publishers had been trying to coax Lee into writing for years. But Lee wasn’t yet ready to look back. “My story is not finished. And I didn’t even like to think of my life as a story. And God, it’s such a self-conscious, in a way egotistical thing to do, to think your life is so f---ing important you have to put it down on paper.”

But writing helped as he considered his losses. So much so that the manuscript swelled to 1,200 pages long. (There would be editing.)

“He needed to do this,” Young said. “To sit down and really write about Neil and his mom and the history. It was really very cathartic. I could see it.”

Late in “My Effin’ Life,” the author reconsiders his dream of an encore.

He thought he had said goodbye to Rush. But then, last year, Rush fanboy Dave Grohl called with a request. He was putting on a pair of star-studded tribute concerts, one in London, one in L.A., to pay tribute to his late Foo Fighters drummer, Taylor Hawkins, who had died that March. Would Lee and Lifeson perform?

They had hesitations. How could they play without Peart? Would fans assume that Rush was reuniting without him? And who, literally, could handle the gig? Rush songs are hard. But they finally enlisted a few ringers — Tool’s Danny Carey, Omar Hakim, Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Grohl himself on a section of “2112,” a classic Rush epic from 1976, clocking in at 20 minutes.

It felt good to hang out with musicians and remember how much Rush was loved, and even better to stretch out with Lifeson on three of their signature songs. At the after-party, Paul McCartney congratulated them and urged them to get back on the road.

“It had been a taboo subject, and playing those songs again with a third person was the elephant in the room, and that kind of disappeared,” Lee said. “It was nice to know that if we decide to go out, Alex and I, whether we went out as part of a new thing, or whether we just wanted to go out and play Rush as Rush, we could do that now.”

Maybe they will. Maybe they won’t. But in October 2022, for the first time in years, Lee and Lifeson went down into Lee’s home studio and jammed.

The idea lingers. Lifeson was excited as offers rolled in after the Hawkins shows. Then he thought about sitting in a hotel room as he waited for the next gig. He also had surgery in July for his long-standing stomach problems. He’s improving but still wakes up feeling nauseated.

Does Lee plan on nudging his pal to get back onstage? Of course not. He doesn’t even plan to bring it up.

“He needs to feel good and feel healthy and strong,” Lee says. “And then maybe we have a discussion.”
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6845 on: November 10, 2023, 01:27:52 PM »
Wow, really surprised with that ending part of the article! :o Let's see what will happen. Thanks Scotty for sharing it with us.
Really glad that Ged's book will be released in Brazil.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online nick_z

« Reply #6846 on: November 10, 2023, 02:46:23 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing! Nice read.

And +1 to being a bit surprised at “It was nice to know that if we decide to go out, Alex and I, whether we went out as part of a new thing, or whether we just wanted to go out and play Rush as Rush, we could do that now.”

I honestly hope that's not happening. I'm all for the two of them doing something together (I would love that!), but...as Rush? That wouldn't feel right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6847 on: November 10, 2023, 02:52:37 PM »

One day, instead of offering him ice, Peart asked if Lee wanted bacon. He also wrote Lee a note addressing him as “Baby.” Lee’s many nicknames within the band included Deke, Dirk, Dekey — but never Baby, and this left him deeply rattled.

“He’s losing his life, but I’m watching his gray cells diminish, and this was the most incredible mind that I had personally known so intimately,” Lee recalled.

For various reasons that some of you know, I needed a minute or two after reading that.  Maybe more than a minute. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6848 on: November 11, 2023, 11:19:53 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Scotty.

Just reading that makes it clear how much Geddy misses his band and playing music.   The selfish fan in me wants him and Alex to never go on as Rush without Neil, but the human fan in me realizes that if that is what he wants to do, then it is what it is.  I suspect Alex's health issues and his wish to never travel and tour again means it won't happen, although I could go see them doing a one-off show or two where they play the music of Rush, while not billing themselves as Rush per se.  "Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson play the music of Rush" or something like that.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6849 on: November 11, 2023, 11:28:08 AM »

Just reading that makes it clear how much Geddy misses his band and playing music.   The selfish fan in me wants him and Alex to never go on as Rush without Neil, but the human fan in me realizes that if that is what he wants to do, then it is what it is.  I suspect Alex's health issues and his wish to never travel and tour again means it won't happen, although I could go see them doing a one-off show or two where they play the music of Rush, while not billing themselves as Rush per se.  "Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson play the music of Rush" or something like that.
I could see that happening. Maybe organize it like a Marillion Weekend in Toronto and have a rotating list of guest drummers. I could think of about 100 drummers that would jump at the chance to do that.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online nick_z

« Reply #6850 on: November 11, 2023, 11:39:14 AM »

I would absolutely be ok with that  :)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6851 on: November 12, 2023, 03:30:38 PM »
Whatever happens it will be done the Rush way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6852 on: November 12, 2023, 07:28:55 PM »
This popped up in my youtube feed today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFum5fByTI

Brief bit from CBC.

EDIT: Here's the extended interview.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 07:37:36 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6853 on: November 12, 2023, 07:44:56 PM »

There was never a band like Rush. Geddy Lee doesn’t want to forget it.

It's great that you made it available to read.  :tup

Wow, it's very sad to read the part about Peart's physical decline, but I'm also touched by how Geddy Lee was somehow orphaned by his band and music. Sad.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6854 on: November 12, 2023, 08:06:24 PM »
EDIT: Here's the extended interview.
Where?  :justjen

Oh you mean here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHkvpWMTuUI

:loser:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6855 on: November 12, 2023, 08:10:04 PM »
Exactly! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6856 on: November 12, 2023, 08:26:13 PM »
I didn't realize that Alex was have health issues.  Damn.  Well, we shall see what we shall see.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6857 on: November 12, 2023, 08:32:21 PM »
Should have Ged's book in the next day or so. Shipped yesterday.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6858 on: November 12, 2023, 08:43:12 PM »
I remember watching that 1993 All Star game with my dad. I was just getting in to Rush at that time, but enough of a fan to sit up when they announced he was singing the anthem. Afterward my dad said something along the lines of "well, that was alright, I guess, and who was that again?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6859 on: November 12, 2023, 08:43:27 PM »
Well, as someone who was 100% fine with Rush's 2015 ending and has been steadfast since that they should let it lie and not do anything again, it does bring a little tear to the eye to see Geddy out there again doing interviews and promo for the book tours.  It reminds me of those many years as an adult when Rush was active, where it was easy to take for granted that another album and tour was just around the corner.  Just seeing him talk about the band and their music warms the heart.  :hat :hat