Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497806 times)

Online pg1067

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6720 on: September 20, 2023, 11:42:48 AM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #6721 on: September 20, 2023, 11:47:28 AM »
the members of rush are not just musicians to me; they're like mentors, guiding me through life's labyrinth with their wisdom and music. the camaraderie and chemistry between geddy, alex, and neil are unparalleled, and it's evident in every note they play together. rush's live performances were legendary, and i feel incredibly fortunate to have seen them in concert before their retirement. the energy, precision, and passion they brought to the stage were awe-inspiring. i still get chills thinking about those concerts.

their impact on the world of music is immeasurable. they've inspired countless musicians across genres and continue to influence new generations. i can't help but feel a sense of pride knowing that i'm part of the vast rush fan community, a group of people who appreciate music that challenges convention and pushes boundaries.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6722 on: September 20, 2023, 04:04:23 PM »
Bubba Bash 2024 coming soon.  If you're in the Philadelphia area, this should be on your agenda.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2023/09/19/5981/YYNOTs-Bubba-Bash-charity-concert-honoring-Neil-Peart-to-return-for-2024?fbclid=IwAR3WuaPs066eKXAzEqOGTz0E2-c0J7PUBsejqtRMuT2doQrWTM9NwzZt2ic
Oh man, I gotta see if I can swing that. Now I need a good reason to give to my wife to go to Philly in January... :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline DTA

« Reply #6723 on: September 20, 2023, 04:33:01 PM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6724 on: September 20, 2023, 05:42:40 PM »
Bubba Bash 2024 coming soon.  If you're in the Philadelphia area, this should be on your agenda.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2023/09/19/5981/YYNOTs-Bubba-Bash-charity-concert-honoring-Neil-Peart-to-return-for-2024?fbclid=IwAR3WuaPs066eKXAzEqOGTz0E2-c0J7PUBsejqtRMuT2doQrWTM9NwzZt2ic

Thinking about it for the same reasons I went last year. Really didn't want to see this band again but the drummers and Dinklage are calling me again.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6725 on: September 20, 2023, 07:15:34 PM »
I looked this morning once I saw this and the code offered up no appealing tickets. Worst case scenario is we sit in the back like last year, but I'm going to wait to see if anything good pops up later.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

« Reply #6726 on: September 22, 2023, 12:32:24 PM »
decided to do (another) deep dive into the rush catalog. not the first time going through their albums, and not the last, but it's been a while and i need a comforting listen

figured i'd take the opportunity to share my thoughts on each album as i listen. hope you enjoy!

what can we say about rush's debut album "rush." gotta say, it's a unique one in their discography 'cause it's the only rush album without neal peart. the album is like a snapshot of the early '70s rock scene. the sound is different from their later stuff, more bluesy and hard rock-ish. geddy lee's bass lines are still killer, and alex lifeson's guitar work, it's raw and full of energy. the lyrics, they're kinda on the simple side compared to later rush albums (obv due to NP's absence), but they fit the vibe. they're singin' about the usual rock topics, like love and relationships, and it's cool to hear them in their early days.

john rutsey on drums, he's solid, but you can tell neal peart brought a whole new level of complexity to their rhythm section in later albums. still, rutsey holds his own on this one. "finding my way," that's a standout track for me. it's got this groove that just pulls you in. "in the mood" is another one, with that catchy riff. and "what you're doing," it's got that bluesy feel that i dig. overall, rush's self-titled debut is a cool piece of rock history. it's different from their later prog-rock masterpieces, but it's a solid start to their journey. if you're a rush fan, it's a must-listen to see how they evolved. if you're new to rush, it's a good intro to their early sound. while it's not their most iconic album, it's still got its place in the rush catalog. give it a spin and appreciate the roots of this legendary band.
Welcome to the Forums!

Online pg1067

« Reply #6727 on: September 22, 2023, 01:16:32 PM »
what can we say about rush's debut album "rush."

I think most folks (myself included) will agree with every word you wrote.

I'm not sure how a new fan would perceive it.  If you're looking for prog rock, you won't find it here.  I kinda think you have to listen to it in retrospect, just for its foundational value, but I don't think I'd ever recommend it as a starting point.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

« Reply #6728 on: September 22, 2023, 01:28:58 PM »
what can we say about rush's debut album "rush."

I think most folks (myself included) will agree with every word you wrote.

I'm not sure how a new fan would perceive it.  If you're looking for prog rock, you won't find it here.  I kinda think you have to listen to it in retrospect, just for its foundational value, but I don't think I'd ever recommend it as a starting point.

that's definitely a good way to put it. hard to find anyone being converted to the prog masses by the debut album haha
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6729 on: September 22, 2023, 01:57:46 PM »
decided to do (another) deep dive into the rush catalog. not the first time going through their albums, and not the last, but it's been a while and i need a comforting listen

figured i'd take the opportunity to share my thoughts on each album as i listen. hope you enjoy!

what can we say about rush's debut album "rush." gotta say, it's a unique one in their discography 'cause it's the only rush album without neal peart. the album is like a snapshot of the early '70s rock scene. the sound is different from their later stuff, more bluesy and hard rock-ish. geddy lee's bass lines are still killer, and alex lifeson's guitar work, it's raw and full of energy. the lyrics, they're kinda on the simple side compared to later rush albums (obv due to NP's absence), but they fit the vibe. they're singin' about the usual rock topics, like love and relationships, and it's cool to hear them in their early days.

john rutsey on drums, he's solid, but you can tell neal peart brought a whole new level of complexity to their rhythm section in later albums. still, rutsey holds his own on this one. "finding my way," that's a standout track for me. it's got this groove that just pulls you in. "in the mood" is another one, with that catchy riff. and "what you're doing," it's got that bluesy feel that i dig. overall, rush's self-titled debut is a cool piece of rock history. it's different from their later prog-rock masterpieces, but it's a solid start to their journey. if you're a rush fan, it's a must-listen to see how they evolved. if you're new to rush, it's a good intro to their early sound. while it's not their most iconic album, it's still got its place in the rush catalog. give it a spin and appreciate the roots of this legendary band.

It's also doesn't have Neil Peart either! ;)

But if you listen to either of the Cleveland soundboard boots from the 74 debut album tour with Neil playing those songs, you can really hear how his parts just transform and elevate the material to new heights. He definitely shows off his chops, and as a young drummer, I wouldn't doubt him, but it's really fascinating to hear how he interprets the material, especially compared to the way Rutsey played them live at the Laura Secord show.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6730 on: September 22, 2023, 03:09:16 PM »
Finally snagged a sealed copy of the Clockwork Angels vinyl after having dropped the ball back when it was released. Been on the hunt for years for a decent price and it arrived today and was totally mint and perfect. Immediately got that thing protected with my special sleeves and outer cover.

Patience paid off.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

« Reply #6731 on: September 25, 2023, 04:41:28 PM »
here's my thoughts on the second Rush album, Fly By Night!

neil peart's drumming, as always, but most importantly here for the first time, is impeccable. his intricate and powerful drum patterns really drive the songs forward and add a whole new dimension to the music. his lyrics are thought-provoking and poetic, and they fit perfectly with the overall theme of the album. what i love about "fly by night" is that it's a bit of a departure from their debut album. it shows their growth as musicians and songwriters. they experiment with different sounds and styles, and it really pays off. songs like "making memories" and "rivendell" have this beautiful, almost folk-rock vibe that's so different from their earlier stuff but still so rush. the title track, "fly by night," is an absolute classic. it's got this infectious energy and catchy chorus that just sticks in your head. it's one of those songs that you can't help but sing along to.
Welcome to the Forums!

Online pg1067

« Reply #6732 on: September 26, 2023, 10:01:04 AM »
Fly by Night is super underrated, and you didn't even mention the three best songs (By-Tor, In the End and Beneath, Between and Behind).

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #6733 on: September 26, 2023, 01:40:13 PM »
Of the first four albums, Fly By Night is probably my favorite, and it's certainly the most consistent one to me.  Rivendell gets a lot of shit, but even that song would be better if it wasn't mixed so damn inaudibly. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6734 on: September 26, 2023, 03:27:43 PM »
Fly by Night is super underrated, and you didn't even mention the three best songs (By-Tor, In the End and Beneath, Between and Behind).
In the End is one of the best on FBN? Yeah no. More like one of the worst. Between this and your hatred for The Mirror, I'm really starting to worry about you!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6735 on: September 26, 2023, 03:30:32 PM »
In The End is one of my favorite Rush songs! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #6736 on: September 26, 2023, 03:35:28 PM »
In the End is one of the best on FBN? Yeah no. More like one of the worst. Between this and your hatred for The Mirror, I'm really starting to worry about you!  :biggrin:

I LOVE In the End!  These are my FBN rankings from when we did the Rush song countdown a while back

1. By-Tor (9)
2. BB&B (42)
3. In the End (45)
4. Anthem (52)
5. Fly By Night (82)
6. Best I Can (90)
7. Making Memories (107)
8. Rivendell (164)

In retrospect, I'd probably switch BIC and MM, and I could conceive of switching ITE and Anthem, but I'm generally not super partial to shuffle beat songs, which Anthem is.

As for The Mirror, I'm not sure what to tell you.  I haven't liked it since I first heard Puppies on Acid back in June 1993.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6737 on: September 26, 2023, 05:59:44 PM »

I LOVE In the End!  These are my FBN rankings from when we did the Rush song countdown a while back

1. By-Tor (9)
2. BB&B (42)
3. In the End (45)
4. Anthem (52)
5. Fly By Night (82)
6. Best I Can (90)
7. Making Memories (107)
8. Rivendell (164)

In retrospect, I'd probably switch BIC and MM, and I could conceive of switching ITE and Anthem, but I'm generally not super partial to shuffle beat songs, which Anthem is.

As for The Mirror, I'm not sure what to tell you.  I haven't liked it since I first heard Puppies on Acid back in June 1993.
I can get behind this, I think my FBN rankings are almost identical to yours. Although I do love The Mirror....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6738 on: September 26, 2023, 06:02:55 PM »
1. In The End
2. Anthem
3. B, B, & B
4. Best I Can
5. Fly By Night
6. Making Memories
7. By Tor
8. Rivendell
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6739 on: September 26, 2023, 09:00:33 PM »
I don’t agree with Scotty at all on this one. But I kind of get where he’s coming from.

I loved In the End as a kid, but it’s a bit overly simplistic to have aged well. It’s a 2 minute great idea stretched into a 6 1/2 minute OK idea.  However, the live version from ATWAS slays the studio version.

1. By-Tor
2. Anthem
3. BBaB
4. Best I Can
5. Fly By Night
6. Making Memories
7. In the End
8. Rivendell

But I do love the entire album. Even Rivendell
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online pg1067

« Reply #6740 on: September 26, 2023, 09:37:33 PM »
However, the live version from ATWAS slays the studio version.

Agree...and it's funny...I can't remember thinking that about any live version of any song in the last 30 years.  Probably the last one was The Killing Hand from Live at the Marquee, and that's almost 30 years old.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6741 on: September 27, 2023, 06:50:08 AM »
30   Fly By Night
32   Beneath, Between & Behind
52   In The End
72   Anthem
82   Making Memories
103   Rivendell
128   By-Tor & The Snow Dog
157   Best I Can

In hindsight, I'd switch FBN and BB&B. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6742 on: September 27, 2023, 02:52:28 PM »
In The End is one of my favorite Rush songs! :lol
That's fine, but you don't count!    :biggrin:
But I still love ya Timmay!

It's funny - I'm quite the opposite. Right from the beginning of hearing it for the first time at my first DT concert, I loved Puppies on Acid. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I don’t agree with Scotty at all on this one. But I kind of get where he’s coming from.

I loved In the End as a kid, but it’s a bit overly simplistic to have aged well. It’s a 2 minute great idea stretched into a 6 1/2 minute OK idea.  However, the live version from ATWAS slays the studio version.

1. By-Tor
2. Anthem
3. BBaB
4. Best I Can
5. Fly By Night
6. Making Memories
7. In the End
8. Rivendell

But I do love the entire album. Even Rivendell
Ben probably sums up my feelings on ItE pretty well - better than I would've said myself. And his ranking of the FBN tracks pretty much is spot on for me. Only real difference is that I would've shifted Making Memories up to #4 in the rankings with everything else after shifting down one spot. But Rivendell is something that is almost always an automatic skip for me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

« Reply #6743 on: September 28, 2023, 08:02:52 AM »
here's some thoughts on the next album in my rush journey!

caress of steel has long been a black sheep in their catalog (and in my overall ranking it wouldn't be in the top 10, or even top half, i don't think) but i've always been fond of it let's talk about the musicality of this album. geddy lee's bass work is absolutely killer here. he's like the heartbeat of the whole thing, driving those complex rhythms and adding this deep, rich texture to the songs. and those vocals, man, geddy's voice just keeps getting better and better with each album. his range is incredible, and you can really hear the emotion in his singing. alex lifeson's guitar work is, as always, top-notch. he's such an underrated guitarist, and this album really showcases his skills. the way he weaves those intricate melodies throughout the songs is mind-blowing. and neil peart's drumming, well, what can you say? the man was a genius, and you can hear it in every beat he plays on this album. his lyrics are also something else, so poetic and thought-provoking.

as far as the tunes, "bastille day" kicks things off with a bang. it's such a high-energy track with those killer guitar riffs and geddy's soaring vocals. it's a fantastic opener that sets the tone for the whole album. then we've got "i think i'm going bald." i love the humor in this song, and it's just so catchy. it's a nice change of pace from the more intense tracks. "lakeside park" is a real gem. it's got this laid-back, nostalgic vibe to it that just makes you feel good. it's one of those songs you can listen to on a sunny day with a cold drink in your hand. the epic tracks on this album, "the necromancer" and "the fountain of lamneth" are both masterpieces in their own right. they're long, complex, and take you on a musical journey. "the necromancer" has this dark, mysterious vibe that's just captivating, and "the fountain of lamneth" is like a mini rock opera, with each section telling a different part of the story. it's ambitious, and the band pulls it off beautifully.

i'm probably being a little too positive, admittedly, but like i said i've always thought this record earned more than it was given. it unfortunately lives in the shadow of the band's next album..
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6744 on: September 28, 2023, 08:04:55 AM »
I think Fountain is WAYYYY underrated in the fanbase.  I can take or leave most of the rest, but I think Fountain is their second best epic.

Online pg1067

« Reply #6745 on: September 28, 2023, 10:57:49 AM »
For me, Lakeside Park is one of two underrated gems on COS (although the All the World's a Stage live version is much better).  The other is No One at the Bridge.  One of Alex's absolute best early solos.

Bastille Day is a quintessential album opener.  A total blast and very fun to play.

Bald is what it is.  I never listen to it unless I'm doing a complete catalog run-through.

The Necromancer is great and, with a few minor tweaks, could have been next-level epic.  They weren't quite there yet.

The Fountain is totally solid.  It would be much better without Panacea and if they had either eliminated or done something different with Didacts & Narpets.  Again, they weren't quite there yet, but the other sections - and especially Bridge - are really good.

One thing about COS, as compared with the albums on other side of it, Geddy's vocals seemed particularly "heliumy."  I don't know if that was a production choice or what, but it's very noticeable to me

Online pg1067

« Reply #6746 on: September 28, 2023, 11:11:45 AM »
From last night's episode of Jeopardy:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6747 on: September 28, 2023, 11:26:11 AM »
Please tell me someone wrote in "What is the God of Balance".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6748 on: September 28, 2023, 11:52:51 AM »
Please tell me someone wrote in "What is the God of Balance".
:lol
I wish I was on that episode of Jeopardy. I definitely would have put that in.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online pg1067

« Reply #6749 on: September 28, 2023, 12:40:54 PM »
It was Celebrity Jeopardy (which you can sort of see on the podiums).  The contestants were Utkarsh Ambudkar (Jay on the U.S. version of Ghosts), Emily Hampshire (Schitt's Creek) and Mark Duplass (The Morning Show).  Utkarsh and Mark got it right.  Emily (who was in the red almost the entire show and wouldn't have been able to play Final Jeopardy if it had been a regular show) guessed "stars."

I'd have contemplated:  "What is...In the constellation of Cygnus, there lurks a mysterious, invisible force:  the black hole of Cygnus X-1"?

"The God of Balance" is Cygnus, not Cygnus X-1.   :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6750 on: September 28, 2023, 12:58:51 PM »

"The God of Balance" is Cygnus, not Cygnus X-1.   :biggrin:

Don't "Stadler" this discussion.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6751 on: September 28, 2023, 01:04:51 PM »
It was Celebrity Jeopardy (which you can sort of see on the podiums).  The contestants were Utkarsh Ambudkar (Jay on the U.S. version of Ghosts), Emily Hampshire (Schitt's Creek) and Mark Duplass (The Morning Show). 

THESE people are celebrities?
I'll take Who In The Hell Are These People for $400, Alex.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6752 on: September 28, 2023, 01:56:26 PM »
It was Celebrity Jeopardy (which you can sort of see on the podiums).  The contestants were Utkarsh Ambudkar (Jay on the U.S. version of Ghosts), Emily Hampshire (Schitt's Creek) and Mark Duplass (The Morning Show). 

THESE people are celebrities?
I'll take Who In The Hell Are These People for $400, Alex.

Well, you don't know any TV references post the Bush era... Bush Sr, so no one is surprised by this.

Online pg1067

« Reply #6753 on: September 28, 2023, 03:09:35 PM »
I know the guy from Ghosts, but I wouldn't know him by name.  I don't know the other two, but I know the shows they're on.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6754 on: September 28, 2023, 03:12:43 PM »
 :azn:
I know the guy from Ghosts, but I wouldn't know him by name.  I don't know the other two, but I know the shows they're on.

I've heard of Schitt's Creek..Eugene Levy, right? Never seen it, but I've heard of it. But I've not heard of nobody or the other two shows.

EDIT: I know what show Ghosts is. Isn't that the one where a couple buy a house with ghosts from different time periods in it? I saw that in the Emergency Room. lol
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 03:21:53 PM by TAC »