Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497591 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6650 on: July 29, 2023, 09:26:06 PM »
My first reaction after seeing a "happy 70th birthday to Geddy Lee" post was "no...that can't be right."  Then I did the math.  Sigh....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6651 on: July 29, 2023, 10:04:16 PM »
My first reaction after seeing a "happy 70th birthday to Geddy Lee" post was "no...that can't be right."  Then I did the math.  Sigh....

What post?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6652 on: July 29, 2023, 10:12:28 PM »

What post?

Happy 70th Birthday to Geddy Lee!

-Marc.

This post, literally three before pg's.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6653 on: July 29, 2023, 10:16:16 PM »
NEW PAGES ARE HARD!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6654 on: July 30, 2023, 06:55:47 AM »
NEW PAGES ARE HARD!!!

Especially when you Turn The Page.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6655 on: July 30, 2023, 10:31:15 AM »
NEW PAGES ARE HARD!!!

-Marc.

It's as if Time Stand Still
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6656 on: July 30, 2023, 12:52:56 PM »

What post?

The post to which I was referring was a Facebook or Reddit post I had seen early yesterday.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6657 on: July 30, 2023, 02:11:33 PM »
I saw one as well and yeah, 70 was an eye popper.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6658 on: July 30, 2023, 08:22:55 PM »
NEW PAGES ARE HARD!!!

-Marc.
You have to disengage first..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6659 on: August 01, 2023, 01:00:54 PM »
So I've been listening to the entirety of the Rush studio discography. I haven't said much because - honestly - what's there to say that hasn't been said a billion times?

But I do have one thing that, I think, qualifies as a "hot take", so here goes.

The original Vapor Trails mix/master is far superior to the 2013 edition to my ears. I stuggled with the album a lot going straight for the remix, and eventually, decided to check out the original for good measure. And found that it clicked for me immediately.

I just... don't think all the added clarity especially around the drums helps the album out much for me. I do hear some of the complaints with the balancing and dynamics with the original, which were great ideas to fix in the remaster, but I wish they could have remixed the album in a way they kept the raw, mushy feeling of the original.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6660 on: August 01, 2023, 01:04:23 PM »
On this anniversary of the final Rush concert, here's my video of Losing It from that show (hopefully the link works):

https://www.facebook.com/1250126515/videos/10205001832586085/

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6661 on: August 05, 2023, 03:58:28 PM »
So I've been listening to the entirety of the Rush studio discography. I haven't said much because - honestly - what's there to say that hasn't been said a billion times?

But I do have one thing that, I think, qualifies as a "hot take", so here goes.

The original Vapor Trails mix/master is far superior to the 2013 edition to my ears. I stuggled with the album a lot going straight for the remix, and eventually, decided to check out the original for good measure. And found that it clicked for me immediately.

I just... don't think all the added clarity especially around the drums helps the album out much for me. I do hear some of the complaints with the balancing and dynamics with the original, which were great ideas to fix in the remaster, but I wish they could have remixed the album in a way they kept the raw, mushy feeling of the original.

Yup.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6662 on: August 22, 2023, 09:06:02 AM »
Hey, just wondering if anyone knows the meaning of the phrase "the night has a thousand saxophones"?  I've been listening a lot lately to Roll the Bones.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online HOF

« Reply #6663 on: August 22, 2023, 09:16:08 AM »
Hey, just wondering if anyone knows the meaning of the phrase "the night has a thousand saxophones"?  I've been listening a lot lately to Roll the Bones.

Might be a reference to/play on this poem:

"The Night Has A Thousand Eyes", by Francis William Bourdillon, 1891
The lyric "The night has a thousand saxophones" in the song "Roll The Bones" is likely a humorous homage to this poem, although the phrase is also the title of a film released in 1948, and a song sung by Bobby Vee released in 1962.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/rushinspirations.html

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6664 on: August 22, 2023, 10:37:59 AM »

The lyric "The night has a thousand saxophones" in the song "Roll The Bones" is likely a humorous homage to this poem, although the phrase is also the title of a film released in 1948, and a song sung by Bobby Vee released in 1962.

I'm almost positive that Dio had a song (I think on Dream Evil) that used the line, "the night has a thousand eyes," and we all know what a big fan Neil was of RJD.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6665 on: August 22, 2023, 11:58:02 AM »
You are correct on Dio.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6666 on: August 22, 2023, 12:56:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've heard "Not Fade Away" before, but I don't think I've ever heard the B side.

RUSH - Not Fade Away & You Can't Fight It (First Single) 1973

"You Can't Fight It" really rocks in that early Rush way.  Alex says they used to play both songs heavier but had to tone things down for the single, since they needed it to be more accessible.  Heck, if these are the toned down versions, I'd love to hear what they were like live.  (I know there's early footage, but I still don't know if I've heard "You Can't Fight It" before.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6667 on: August 22, 2023, 01:54:54 PM »
Looks like NFA is a Buddy Holly song that was also covered by the Rolling Stones, among others.  YCFI looks to be Rutsey's only writing credit?  It's even more primitive than the first album.  I think I heard both a few years ago when their existence became widely known.  Nothing I'd feel the need to revisit regularly.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6668 on: August 22, 2023, 02:12:41 PM »
Same here, but man, I do love how Alex came right out of the gate rocking hard.  The guitar work on both of those tracks is amazing, especially considering that they were like 18 or 19 years old then.  It was cool to hear.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6669 on: August 22, 2023, 03:20:19 PM »
Those songs are definitely interesting historical context.  What I find fascinating is that, AFAIK, these songs were all but unknown until about 15 years ago.  Then again, maybe it was just me.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6670 on: August 22, 2023, 05:34:43 PM »

and we all know what a big fan Neil was of RJD.
I feel like I'm missing some context here.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6671 on: August 22, 2023, 06:55:05 PM »
Those songs are definitely interesting historical context.  What I find fascinating is that, AFAIK, these songs were all but unknown until about 15 years ago.  Then again, maybe it was just me.

When I became a fan of Rush, circa 2002/2003, I found out about their debut single not long after, and even eventually found some 128kbps rips of the songs online since it seemed like there was no official way to get them. I went to check YouTube for the earliest uploads, but they're only as old as 13/14 years old. I probably found them on some suspicious download site or a torrenting trading forum.

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6672 on: August 22, 2023, 06:59:31 PM »
There was an awesome site that had all these odd songs and bootlegs songs from the board on there. I downloaded them all but it got shut down.

I can't remember the name of the website. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6673 on: August 22, 2023, 07:50:22 PM »
There was an awesome site that had all these odd songs and bootlegs songs from the board on there. I downloaded them all but it got shut down.

I can't remember the name of the website.

Was it musicintheabstract.org run by Chris Milmerstadt? His site had all sorts of oddities, especially during the VT & R30 tours, uploading the various La Villa Strangiato Lerxst Rants from across both tours.

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6674 on: August 22, 2023, 08:06:34 PM »
Damn.  It might have been. Did it have every Alex rant from the VT tour?  That was amazing!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6675 on: August 22, 2023, 08:45:54 PM »
Damn.  It might have been. Did it have every Alex rant from the VT tour?  That was amazing!

At some point I'm sure they did, and then most (if not all) of the rants from the R30 tour as well. The site was full of odds and ends from across the band's career.

-Marc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6676 on: August 23, 2023, 01:21:34 PM »

I'm almost positive that Dio had a song (I think on Dream Evil) that used the line, "the night has a thousand eyes," and we all know what a big fan Neil was of RJD.

I feel like I'm missing some context here.

Just a dumb joke that Neil had taken inspiration from a Dio lyric - as opposed to what presumably actually happened, which is that both Dio and Neil took inspiration from the same source (i.e., the poem that HOF mentioned).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6677 on: August 23, 2023, 02:22:58 PM »
In high school, I once wrote an analysis of "Hemispheres" by Rush.  In it, I mentioned that the ship, Rocinante, was a reference to John Steinbeck's camper RV from his book Travels with Charley (Charley was his dog).  My teacher loved the paper, but had to point out that Rocinante from Travels with Charley was itself a reference to a much older work (which he left up to me to find out).

So my guess is that Neil named the ship in "Hemispheres" after the much older reference, although he'd probably read Steinbeck as well, since he was a big fan of being on the road.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6678 on: August 23, 2023, 02:33:43 PM »
In high school, I once wrote an analysis of "Hemispheres" by Rush.  In it, I mentioned that the ship, Rocinante, was a reference to John Steinbeck's camper RV from his book Travels with Charley (Charley was his dog).  My teacher loved the paper, but had to point out that Rocinante from Travels with Charley was itself a reference to a much older work (which he left up to me to find out).

So my guess is that Neil named the ship in "Hemispheres" after the much older reference, although he'd probably read Steinbeck as well, since he was a big fan of being on the road.

I've only ever heard "Rocinante" as a reference to Don Quixote's horse.

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6679 on: August 23, 2023, 02:55:42 PM »

I've only ever heard "Rocinante" as a reference to Don Quixote's horse.

-Marc.

This.

Although I only learned of it myself a couple of years ago.

EDIT - it was also used more recently in The Expanse.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6680 on: August 23, 2023, 03:38:38 PM »
I used to read the comics in the morning newspaper.  Yeah, that's how old I am.  Anyway, one of them was Travels with Farley, the continuing adventures of a middle class, middle-aged guy named Farley.  I eventually learned that the name of the comic was a play on Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck.  I'd never heard of it, but obviously I'd heard of Steinbeck (The Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, Cannery Row, etc.)  In Travels with Charley, the author and his dog Charley travel across America in a camper RV that he dubbed Rocinante.

I thought my English teacher would be impressed that Neil had used that name and I'd caught the reference to a work by John Steinbeck.  Instead he was a bit disappointed that I didn't know that Steinbeck had himself gotten the name Rocinante from Don Quixote (which I had not read).

Bonus trivia: The full title of the book is El ingenioso hidalgo don Quixote de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.  My English teacher wasn't impressed that I knew that, either.  Now that I think about it, he was kind of an ass.  But he was a great teacher and I learned a lot from him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6681 on: August 23, 2023, 06:55:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've heard "Not Fade Away" before, but I don't think I've ever heard the B side.

RUSH - Not Fade Away & You Can't Fight It (First Single) 1973

Cool! Never heard this before.  I like You Can't Fight It. That's a great solo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6682 on: August 23, 2023, 06:56:20 PM »
It actually was a 45 back in the day, Tim. Pretty cool.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6683 on: August 24, 2023, 06:34:32 AM »
The problem, and it's not Rush's fault at all, is that I've heard about 30 other versions of Not Fade Away that are EXCELLENT, and I've heard the entirety of the rest of the Rush catalogue, which is better.  IT's not that this is BAD, exactly, but for me it's at best a curiosity.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6684 on: August 24, 2023, 05:36:40 PM »
Took me long enough, but I found it.

In the March 1990 issue of the Backstage Club newsletter, a fan asked the following:  How did you decide to name Cygnus's ship Rocinante?  From what I know, Rocinante was a pony for a fictitious Spanish Conquistador. . . .  Neil responded:  "Rocinante was Don Quixote's horse, and also the name of John Steinbeck's truck in Travels with Charley."  Contrary to my recollection, he didn't say which one (or maybe both) was the actual inspiration for The Voyage.