Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497625 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6405 on: May 08, 2023, 07:01:56 PM »
King is about quantity where we are about quality.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6406 on: May 08, 2023, 07:08:35 PM »

My beer taste > your beer taste.  Also....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6407 on: May 08, 2023, 07:11:12 PM »

My beer taste > your beer taste.  Also....

I don't drink! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6408 on: May 08, 2023, 07:26:28 PM »
So if understand the history correctly - Tim and pg are on the wrong side of this, and King knows what's right?   :biggrin:

Just like my signature below. Lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6409 on: May 08, 2023, 07:51:11 PM »
So if understand the history correctly - Tim and pg are on the wrong side of this, and King knows what's right?   :biggrin:

Just like my signature below. Lol

:biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6410 on: May 08, 2023, 08:08:50 PM »

, says the guy who likes KISS.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6411 on: May 08, 2023, 08:15:48 PM »

, says the guy who likes KISS.

Go back to the bubblegum thread.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6412 on: May 08, 2023, 08:24:00 PM »
King is shifting his focus to quality as his quantity continues a sharp decline.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6413 on: May 08, 2023, 08:25:21 PM »
King is shifting his focus to quality and his quantity continues a sharp decline.

Well, we can all get behind that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6414 on: May 08, 2023, 08:41:05 PM »
Nick means brain cells.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6415 on: May 09, 2023, 09:17:46 AM »
I have no problem with y'all thinking a bottom 4 Rush album is great.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6416 on: May 11, 2023, 02:46:55 PM »
OK...does anyone have any sort of primary source for the actual release date of Permanent Waves?

I had long heard that it was released on new year's day 1980, but that seems absurd.  Plenty of random sites still list 1/1/1980 as the release date.  Wikipedia lists the release date as 1/18/1980 (a Friday) and cites an article in the January 12, 1980 issue of Music Week, which appears to have been a British music magazine.  That article (on p. 2 of this pdf - chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Music-Week/1980/Music-Week-1980-01-12.pdf ) stated, "PHONOGRAM IS planning a heavy new advertising campaign for leading heavy metal group Rush who have a new album released on January 18 called Permanent Waves. . . .  [P] The LP will be simultaneously released worldwide. . . ."  However, I know that albums were sometimes released on different dates in the U.S./Canada and England.

Anyone?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6417 on: May 11, 2023, 02:49:33 PM »
OK...does anyone have any sort of primary source for the actual release date of Permanent Waves?

I had long heard that it was released on new year's day 1980, but that seems absurd.  Plenty of random sites still list 1/1/1980 as the release date.  Wikipedia lists the release date as 1/18/1980 (a Friday) and cites an article in the January 12, 1980 issue of Music Week, which appears to have been a British music magazine.  That article (on p. 2 of this pdf - chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Music-Week/1980/Music-Week-1980-01-12.pdf ) stated, "PHONOGRAM IS planning a heavy new advertising campaign for leading heavy metal group Rush who have a new album released on January 18 called Permanent Waves. . . .  [P] The LP will be simultaneously released worldwide. . . ."  However, I know that albums were sometimes released on different dates in the U.S./Canada and England.

Anyone?

For the longest time - though my memory is not strong enough to tell you when that started and when that stopped, except that it was in the '80s - major releases were on Tuesday.  For what that's worth.  In January of 1980, the Tuesdays were 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6418 on: May 11, 2023, 02:50:07 PM »
Back in 1980, in America, the release date was a Tuesday so I'll assume that it was 1-1-80. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #6419 on: May 11, 2023, 03:17:12 PM »
Release day was Tuesday for as long as I can remember up until maybe the last 10-15 years. I was not alive for the release of Permanent Waves, however. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6420 on: May 11, 2023, 05:00:42 PM »
I definitely remember Tuesday release days.  By the time my friend and I had given up our afternoon paper route, we would routinely stop a local record store on our way home from school on Tuesday afternoons to see what was new.

It seems weird to me to release a new album on new year's day (when most record stores were closed).  Maybe there was some novelty to it.  IDK.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6421 on: May 11, 2023, 09:46:09 PM »
2112.net/PowerWindows has the release date as 1/14/80 FWIW. I think I’d trust them.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/permanentwaves.html

Rush.com also says 1/14/80:

https://www.rush.com/albums/permanent-waves/

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6422 on: May 11, 2023, 11:29:00 PM »
2112.net/PowerWindows has the release date as 1/14/80 FWIW. I think I’d trust them.

And RYM also shows 1/14/80.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6423 on: May 12, 2023, 09:19:09 AM »

Yeah...the band itself is certainly a reliable source, and 2112.net has proven to be same over the years.  On the other hand, 1/14/80 was a Monday....

I have no idea what "RYM" is.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6424 on: May 12, 2023, 09:28:52 AM »

Yeah...the band itself is certainly a reliable source, and 2112.net has proven to be same over the years.  On the other hand, 1/14/80 was a Monday....

I have no idea what "RYM" is.

So regarding the Tuesday being universal release day, I found this, which suggests it didn't become Tuesday in the US until 1989, and even then it was Monday in Canada. Looks like it switched to Friday in 2015 (more recently than I realized).

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/07/10/421483599/goodbye-music-tuesday-starting-today-albums-come-out-on-friday

For more than 25 years, Tuesday has been the standard release day for new albums in America — a tradition Keith Caulfield, co-director of charts at Billboard, says had a lot to do with shipping in the pre-digital era.

"One particular retailer might get that album on, say, Monday morning before they open," Caulfield says. "And they can have it on their shelf. Boom, great! So, if you walk in and you want Michael Jackson's new Bad album, they will have it."

"However," he continues, "a store a couple blocks down the road may have not got their shipment." That store couldn't do anything but wait until it showed up.

In 1989, the recording industry settled on Tuesday as the day every retailer could start selling new releases at the same time — but that was just in the U.S. Albums came out on Mondays in the U.K. and Canada, Fridays in Australia and Germany. Recently, the industry decided it needed a global standard.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6425 on: May 12, 2023, 09:32:43 AM »
I've also seen 1/18/1980 as the release date as well. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6426 on: May 12, 2023, 09:42:34 AM »
In 1989, the recording industry settled on Tuesday as the day every retailer could start selling new releases at the same time — but that was just in the U.S. Albums came out on Mondays in the U.K. and Canada, Fridays in Australia and Germany. Recently, the industry decided it needed a global standard.[/i]

I'm positive the Tuesday thing was a thing before 1989, but maybe it had standardized on a regional basis before then.  Canada using Mondays explains the 1/14/1980 release date.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6427 on: May 12, 2023, 09:45:37 AM »
In 1989, the recording industry settled on Tuesday as the day every retailer could start selling new releases at the same time — but that was just in the U.S. Albums came out on Mondays in the U.K. and Canada, Fridays in Australia and Germany. Recently, the industry decided it needed a global standard.[/i]

I'm positive the Tuesday thing was a thing before 1989, but maybe it had standardized on a regional basis before then.  Canada using Mondays explains the 1/14/1980 release date.

I wouldn't be surprised if most albums were released on Tuesdays as some sort of common practice (maybe to allow for an extra day for late deliveries on Monday or something) that wasn't standardized until 1989.

Another NPR article from 2010 that posits Tuesday was the de facto date both due to issues with weekend delivery/stocking and trying to game the Billboard system.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2010/09/08/129725205/why-albums-are-released-on-tuesdays

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6428 on: May 12, 2023, 09:56:45 AM »

It was WELL before 1989, because in '89 I was a senior in college, and I was referring to the times I would go down to Graf Wadman Records in the mall in HIGH SCHOOL to get the latest releases.  I started buying records in earnest in 1982.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6429 on: May 14, 2023, 01:58:46 PM »
Just popping in to say how much more I appreciate and enjoy Caress Of Steel now than when I first discovered Rush over 20 years ago. Every song just hits me harder now, and it's easily my favorite of their first three albums. The more I've been listening to COS, the more I think I might like it over 2112 as a whole, whose second side is a bit hit-or-miss for me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6430 on: May 14, 2023, 04:26:57 PM »

It was WELL before 1989, because in '89 I was a senior in college, and I was referring to the times I would go down to Graf Wadman Records in the mall in HIGH SCHOOL to get the latest releases.  I started buying records in earnest in 1982.

Yup. It was always Tuesdays growing up.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6431 on: May 14, 2023, 04:32:37 PM »

Yup. It was always Tuesdays growing up.

Yeah, it sounds like it was Tuesdays informally before 1989, but not standardized until 1989. So most albums were probably released on Tuesdays for logistical/strategic purposes, but some stores might get their stock on different days and release early before it was standardized.

Another NPR article from 2010 that posits Tuesday was the de facto date both due to issues with weekend delivery/stocking and trying to game the Billboard system.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2010/09/08/129725205/why-albums-are-released-on-tuesdays

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6432 on: May 15, 2023, 09:50:05 AM »
Just popping in to say how much more I appreciate and enjoy Caress Of Steel now than when I first discovered Rush over 20 years ago. Every song just hits me harder now, and it's easily my favorite of their first three albums. The more I've been listening to COS, the more I think I might like it over 2112 as a whole, whose second side is a bit hit-or-miss for me.

It's a tough call for me.  In the recent Rush countdown, I ranked 2112 at #19 and The Fountain at #30.  There aren't any throwaway sections in 2112, but The Fountain has Didacts and Panacea, and In the Valley and The Fountain are really similar.  Overall...

19. 2112
27. The Necromancer
30. The Fountain of Lamneth
37. Bastille Day
50. A Passage to Bangkok
55. Lakeside Park (although the ATWAS version is MUCH better than the studio version)
65. The Twilight Zone
66. Something for Nothing
76. Tears
104. Lessons
134. I Think I'm Going Bald

Not entirely sure how that shakes out in terms of ranking them against each other, but I think it's really close, and the gap isn't anywhere near as big as it was back in the day.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6433 on: May 15, 2023, 10:01:19 AM »
I came to Caress of Steel very late (soon after Neil’s passing). I wasn’t enthusiastic about their other 70s albums and it had a poor reputation so it just wasn’t a priority. But I think it’s a pretty great album, and I prefer it to 2112 and AFTK, about even with Fly By Night. Probably would only rank it behind Hemispheres from the 70s albums.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6434 on: May 15, 2023, 11:44:16 AM »

It's a tough call for me.  In the recent Rush countdown, I ranked 2112 at #19 and The Fountain at #30.  There aren't any throwaway sections in 2112, but The Fountain has Didacts and Panacea, and In the Valley and The Fountain are really similar.  Overall...

19. 2112
27. The Necromancer
37. Bastille Day
50. A Passage to Bangkok
55. Lakeside Park (although the ATWAS version is MUCH better than the studio version)
65. The Twilight Zone
76. Tears
104. Lessons

Not entirely sure how that shakes out in terms of ranking them against each other, but I think it's really close, and the gap isn't anywhere near as big as it was back in the day.

Well, given that COS has three songs in your Top 50 against 2112's two, I'd say COS takes a bit of an edge over 2112. Granted, 2112 being at 19th gives it plenty of weight, but having three COS songs between 27th-37th is no light weight either. As for TFOL, I guess I don't mind "Didacts And Narpets" being a drummer, and I find it fascinating that Neil continued to incorporate part of that piece into his drum solos for YEARS after the COS Tour.

I came to Caress of Steel very late (soon after Neil’s passing). I wasn’t enthusiastic about their other 70s albums and it had a poor reputation so it just wasn’t a priority. But I think it’s a pretty great album, and I prefer it to 2112 and AFTK, about even with Fly By Night. Probably would only rank it behind Hemispheres from the 70s albums.

Interesting! I'd say that COS is about even with FBN for me as well, but I'd still put AFTK and HEMI above it. If I had to rank their 70s albums, it might look like:

AFTK
HEMI
COS
FBN
RUSH

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6435 on: May 15, 2023, 12:33:12 PM »
Well, given that COS has three songs in your Top 50 against 2112's two, I'd say COS takes a bit of an edge over 2112. Granted, 2112 being at 19th gives it plenty of weight, but having three COS songs between 27th-37th is no light weight either. As for TFOL, I guess I don't mind "Didacts And Narpets" being a drummer, and I find it fascinating that Neil continued to incorporate part of that piece into his drum solos for YEARS after the COS Tour.

The best part of Didacts is that it's short (sort of live Five Percent for Nothing by Yes).

I assigned points the same way the various countdowns work (out of the 166 songs I ranked, with #166 getting 1 point and #1 getting 166 points):

COS:  552 points - 110.4 points per song - 12.25 points per minute (based on the minute count in the albums' Wikipedia articles)
2112: 622 points - 103.67 points per son - 16.07 points per minute

Pretty much even.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6436 on: May 15, 2023, 02:31:22 PM »

19. 2112
27. The Necromancer
37. Bastille Day
50. A Passage to Bangkok
65. The Twilight Zone
76. Tears
104. Lessons

Interesting! I'd say that COS is about even with FBN for me as well, but I'd still put AFTK and HEMI above it. If I had to rank their 70s albums, it might look like:

AFTK
HEMI
COS
FBN
RUSH

-Marc.
100%  I'd go this way -

HEMI
AFTK
COS
FBN
RUSH

So they got better with each album IMO.  But I agree the overall point of the recent discussion, that COS is surely underrated, and often got a bad rap through the years.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6437 on: May 15, 2023, 06:23:26 PM »

19. 2112
27. The Necromancer
37. Bastille Day
50. A Passage to Bangkok
65. The Twilight Zone
76. Tears
104. Lessons

AFTK
HEMI
COS
FBN
RUSH

-Marc.
100%  I'd go this way -

HEMI
AFTK
COS
FBN
RUSH

So they got better with each album IMO.  But I agree the overall point of the recent discussion, that COS is surely underrated, and often got a bad rap through the years.

I can get behind that ranking. They definitely saw marked improvements with each new studio album, both in writing/composition and recording. Honestly, I could go with that ranking as well as I often flip-flop between AFTK/HEMI and now 2112/COS as to which of each pair is better. I could even say the same for PEW/MP as well.

-Marc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6438 on: May 15, 2023, 06:52:13 PM »
I go..

Hemispheres
FBN
Rush
AFTK
CoC

Offline HOF

« Reply #6439 on: May 15, 2023, 07:26:00 PM »
I go..

Hemispheres
FBN
Rush
AFTK
CoC

Caress of Copper?