Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497803 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6370 on: April 17, 2023, 02:39:44 PM »
Sadly, that might happen, but I for one would enjoy box sets for GUP and POW, especially if it means getting full soundboard shows from their archives. We know they have SOME somewhere since the GUP Live audio exists from a full show, and they pooled from both the POW and HYF tours for A Show Of Hands, so they've got to have at least one fill POW soundboard somewhere. And AFAIK, there aren't any 100% complete soundboard for those tours in circulation that sound as good as official live stuff. I know there's the Philly show from POW but it's missing the last 20 or so minutes of the show.

But yeah, they really seemed to have dropped the ball on this Signals set and it's a bit upsetting considering the care they put into the MP set and releasing a full Toronto show.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6371 on: April 18, 2023, 09:34:13 PM »
At the end of the day, we all know Rush doesn't have very much in the way of demo/live/b-side archives.

There's only one way in my mind to give more value to the Rush catalog above what's already available. It's not artwork, big box sets, and certainly not new vinyl of old albums.

It's 5.1 mixes. That's it, that's the way to give old Rush stuff new life. Just take anything that doesn't already have a 5.1 release, release just that, and I'll gladly pay $30-50 per album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6372 on: April 18, 2023, 09:46:16 PM »
At the end of the day, we all know Rush doesn't have very much in the way of demo/live/b-side archives.

There's only one way in my mind to give more value to the Rush catalog above what's already available. It's not artwork, big box sets, and certainly not new vinyl of old albums.

It's 5.1 mixes. That's it, that's the way to give old Rush stuff new life. Just take anything that doesn't already have a 5.1 release, release just that, and I'll gladly pay $30-50 per album.
These days, I'd say take it a step further and release them as Atmos mixes, which include 5.1 mixes. I'd be curious what they could do with an Atmos mix. The difference would be subtle, but I'd be interested in hearing it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Kram

« Reply #6373 on: April 19, 2023, 11:57:43 AM »

These days, I'd say take it a step further and release them as Atmos mixes, which include 5.1 mixes. I'd be curious what they could do with an Atmos mix. The difference would be subtle, but I'd be interested in hearing it.
And pay Steven Wilson to do the re-mixes.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6374 on: April 20, 2023, 10:56:17 AM »
Even just regular stereo remixes would be cool, other than Counterparts pretty much everything past Hold Your Fire is pretty iffy sounding. They could breathe new life into Presto or add some clarity to Clockwork Angels. Even Vapor Trails, while the remix was pretty decent, is still not a very good sounding album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online HOF

« Reply #6375 on: April 20, 2023, 11:24:07 AM »
Even just regular stereo remixes would be cool, other than Counterparts pretty much everything past Hold Your Fire is pretty iffy sounding. They could breathe new life into Presto or add some clarity to Clockwork Angels. Even Vapor Trails, while the remix was pretty decent, is still not a very good sounding album.

Yeah, I’d buy a new stereo mix of the Rush catalog. I have no use for any surround mixes (and I don’t really care about demos or even a live show from the period).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6376 on: April 20, 2023, 12:48:12 PM »

I don't have faith that we'd get improvements, though.  Rush seemingly forgot how to make a record sound great once they got back together in the early 2000s (even the mixes of the original VHS's from the 80s for the DVD releases were all downgrades), and if they hand them to a producer/mixer of the modern era, they will likely make it sound muddy and loud. 

Online HOF

« Reply #6377 on: April 20, 2023, 01:06:36 PM »

I don't have faith that we'd get improvements, though.  Rush seemingly forgot how to make a record sound great once they got back together in the early 2000s (even the mixes of the original VHS's from the 80s for the DVD releases were all downgrades), and if they hand them to a producer/mixer of the modern era, they will likely make it sound muddy and loud.

Yeah, that’s true. It would all depend on who mixes them.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6378 on: April 20, 2023, 01:59:32 PM »
That's why they need to get Steven Wilson.  I know not everyone is thrilled with what he's done with his 5.1 remixes/remasters, but the clarity and space he brings, the life he brings to the music, is beyond dispute.  Steven only does albums he personally likes and cares about, so it's not a given that he'd do any Rush if asked, but damn, someone should be able to do something with those master tapes.  The last couple of Rush albums really do sound like shit, and I'd love to hear surround mixes of the earlier stuff.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6379 on: May 06, 2023, 07:48:20 AM »
"Hey, it’s spring and you know what that means…time for yet another incredibly delicious brew from the folks at Henderson Brewery. You probably won’t believe this but Ged and I spent weeks, twenty-four hours a day sweating over steaming vats of swirling Belgian style ale, slowly cooked to perfection. We even spent hours lifting weights just to make it stronger. It was going great and then all of a sudden, they stick skulls on the label! Skulls, I tells ya!

Xanabrew, the new, tasty Rush brew that’s almost too scary to drink!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr5waLIOvqd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6380 on: May 06, 2023, 02:56:32 PM »
"Hey, it’s spring and you know what that means…time for yet another incredibly delicious brew from the folks at Henderson Brewery. You probably won’t believe this but Ged and I spent weeks, twenty-four hours a day sweating over steaming vats of swirling Belgian style ale, slowly cooked to perfection. We even spent hours lifting weights just to make it stronger. It was going great and then all of a sudden, they stick skulls on the label! Skulls, I tells ya!

Xanabrew, the new, tasty Rush brew that’s almost too scary to drink!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr5waLIOvqd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Got one today at the brewery, but haven't tasted it yet.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6381 on: May 06, 2023, 04:25:46 PM »
I recently got the Permanent Waves 40th Anniversary box set from Amazon ($125 after tax) and I opened it up last night. What a nice set it is, and the vinyl-sized artbook is a nice touch. I love all the new graphics and art for each song. I haven't had time to read the essays and liner notes in the book, but I look forward to it.

I've been on a HUGE Rush fix for the last few weeks, and it's been getting me through some hard days at work. I recently re-did my personal Permanent Waves World Tour 2CD show using the box set audio (well the digital version that includes "A Passage To Bangkok"), the St. Louis '80 bootleg, and the Glasgow tracks from Exit... Stage Left to make a complete concert set on 2 CD-rs.

I also re-did my Down The Tubes Tour CD-r with the recently released March 5th show from Mount Prospect, IL, but I threw in the complete track of "The Necromancer" from the Rockford, IL show from 1975 to represent all the know songs played on that tour, of which there are only two concert boots so far.

I've been revisiting all my live tour discs for a couple weeks now in my car as I commute, and I'm currently on my Tour Of The Hemispheres set, the Tucson, AZ show.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 04:32:59 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online pg1067

« Reply #6382 on: May 08, 2023, 10:17:24 AM »
I'll get excited when the Rush beer is available in the U.S.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6383 on: May 08, 2023, 11:05:03 AM »

You can order it online.  They ship to the U.S.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6384 on: May 08, 2023, 11:12:40 AM »
I recently got the Permanent Waves 40th Anniversary box set from Amazon ($125 after tax) and I opened it up last night. What a nice set it is, and the vinyl-sized artbook is a nice touch. I love all the new graphics and art for each song. I haven't had time to read the essays and liner notes in the book, but I look forward to it.

I really love that set as well, Marc. I got it "damaged" from Amazon a while back for 100 bucks, and nothing was damaged much. Just a nicked corner of the package. Love all of it. Really a nice job.

I haven't plunked down the cash for Signals. 212 seems a bit pricey to me, and my level of fandom, for what I get with it. I love live material. I don't really play 7" vinyl, nor Blu-Ray Audio, honestly. Once in a while, sure. Maybe I should more. But we'll see. I'll see fi the price comes down a chunk and consider it.

Any of you Rush fanatics have a take on what Rush may (or may not) do for Grace Under Pressure? I absolutely adore that album. I have the original vinyl and CD, but hoping for a big anniversary release on that one.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6385 on: May 08, 2023, 11:18:02 AM »
I also love GUP, maybe my fave from keyboard era! My take about this new anniversary editions is simple: if they release them with a show from the tour (at least until T4E - since from VT on, we already have really nice live releases), I'll buy the 2 or 3 CD version of it. If not, I'll forget it (sorry, Signals).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6386 on: May 08, 2023, 11:24:46 AM »
I also love GUP, maybe my fave from keyboard era! My take about this new anniversary editions is simple: if they release them with a show from the tour (at least until T4E - since from VT on, we already have really nice live releases), I'll buy the 2 or 3 CD version of it. If not, I'll forget it (sorry, Signals).

Yup. The live stuff is important.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6387 on: May 08, 2023, 11:49:41 AM »

That's how I am; I LOVE Signals it's one of my favorite Rush records, but I have I think four versions of it already. Give me something I don't already have officially.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6388 on: May 08, 2023, 11:51:21 AM »
So, we're paying $125 for a book on Permanent Waves?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #6389 on: May 08, 2023, 01:34:35 PM »

I can order a collection that includes nine 0.5 liter bottles and three 12 ounce bottles for $145 (including shipping), so let me re-phrase:  I'll get excited when the Rush beer is available to me for a non-absurd price.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6390 on: May 08, 2023, 01:36:32 PM »
You could reach over to our Canadian dealer Chad. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6391 on: May 08, 2023, 01:46:21 PM »

Either that or $145 for a 12-pack.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6392 on: May 08, 2023, 01:55:44 PM »

Either that or $145 for a 12-pack.  :)

Or pay $12 for Power Windows..

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6393 on: May 08, 2023, 02:18:02 PM »

I really love that set as well, Marc. I got it "damaged" from Amazon a while back for 100 bucks, and nothing was damaged much. Just a nicked corner of the package. Love all of it. Really a nice job.

I haven't plunked down the cash for Signals. 212 seems a bit pricey to me, and my level of fandom, for what I get with it. I love live material. I don't really play 7" vinyl, nor Blu-Ray Audio, honestly. Once in a while, sure. Maybe I should more. But we'll see. I'll see fi the price comes down a chunk and consider it.

Any of you Rush fanatics have a take on what Rush may (or may not) do for Grace Under Pressure? I absolutely adore that album. I have the original vinyl and CD, but hoping for a big anniversary release on that one.

For $125, mine wasn't in too bad of a shape either. The soft cardboard envelope for the extras had a side that was bent a bit, and the gatefold for the live vinyl also had a bit of a bend in the spine, but other than that, the set was pretty immaculate, so I'm pretty happy with it!

Yeah, as I've stated elsewhere, that Signals box set is pretty MEH for me in terms of extras. If I ever see it go for $100 or less, I might hop on it, but for it's current price... pass.

As for GUP, I would hope that they can un-earth the complete September 21st, 1984 show from Toronto, parts of which were used for the GUP Tour live concert video. Has there ever been any evidence to suggest that the band don't have the whole audio somewhere? Maybe they took what they needed from the show and then discarded the rest after they mixed the final show, but that would be really dumb and weird for them. If the GUP Anniversary set DOES happen, and that Toronto show is included IN FULL, it'll be an instant buy. My personal GUP Tour live set is cobbled together from that Toronto show, the Largo, MD soundboard, and bits of the Milwaukee show (for "Afterimage" and "Red Lenses/Drum Solo"). It would be nice to get a whole complete show of that great tour like we did for the Moving Pictures set.

After GUP, though, I'm not sure if they'll do any more anniversary sets, though I would kill for a Power Windows set with a complete show from that tour as well. For HYF, I'm sure they've got the whole Birmingham show tucked away somewhere as well. After that, I'm good, because there are quite a few really good soundboard/FM broadcast shows from the Presto-RTB-CP-TFE tours that those bootlegs are quite suitable for my personal listening pleasure. I just want to fill in the gaps from their 80s shows and I'll be good!

-Marc.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6394 on: May 08, 2023, 02:37:41 PM »

I can order a collection that includes nine 0.5 liter bottles and three 12 ounce bottles for $145 (including shipping), so let me re-phrase:  I'll get excited when the Rush beer is available to me for a non-absurd price.

When I got mine it was like 75 bucks. 100 with shipping. Ordered last year, delayed, delivered in December 2022. So inflation caught up.  :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #6395 on: May 08, 2023, 04:04:24 PM »

When I got mine it was like 75 bucks. 100 with shipping. Ordered last year, delayed, delivered in December 2022. So inflation caught up.  :lol

The option I mentioned was the first one that came up at halftimebeverage.com (which appears to be the exclusive online retailer in the U.S.).  The 12-pack option I mentioned (3 each of Xanabrew, Golden Ale, Signals Belgian ale and Moving Pitchers Belgian ale) was $125 + $20 shipping.  There are a couple 6-pack options for either $60, $70 or $80 plus shipping.  I'm happy to wait until it shows up at BevMo or Total Wine.

Or pay $12 for Power Windows.

Talk about overpriced!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6396 on: May 08, 2023, 04:28:51 PM »
Or pay $12 for Power Windows.

Talk about overpriced!

A top 5 album from one of the greatest rock bands of all time? A bargain, if you ask me  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6397 on: May 08, 2023, 04:34:25 PM »
Spewing a lot of bad takes today Nick!

Giving me the day off from it. :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6398 on: May 08, 2023, 05:12:58 PM »
Spewing a lot of bad takes today Nick!

Giving me the day off from it. :lol

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6399 on: May 08, 2023, 05:18:44 PM »
I don't venture into this thread much (not sure why to be completely honest), but I thought I'd have a look and first thing I see is Tim slagging Power Windows.  Ah yes, I'm definitely in the Rush thread.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6400 on: May 08, 2023, 05:54:19 PM »
It's the signal, which apparently hasn't reached New Hampshire yet. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6401 on: May 08, 2023, 06:25:46 PM »
New Hampshire just ignores the signal.

Or we can do this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6402 on: May 08, 2023, 06:55:33 PM »
I knew that was coming. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6403 on: May 08, 2023, 06:56:54 PM »
Tee Hee.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6404 on: May 08, 2023, 07:00:36 PM »
So if understand the history correctly - Tim and pg are on the wrong side of this, and King knows what's right?   :biggrin: