Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497905 times)

pg1067 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6335 on: March 07, 2023, 07:51:17 PM »
That Signals set is pretty horrible, especially when you consider we already have a good 5.1 mix of Signals.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6336 on: March 07, 2023, 11:07:13 PM »
Indeed, the 5.1 found in the Sector 3 box and the Blu-Ray Audio
https://www.discogs.com/release/7384295-Rush-Signals

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6337 on: March 10, 2023, 09:17:40 AM »
Looks like a cash grab,  which if they can I can't blame them. The artwork looks cool and all, but I can't justify spending that kind of money. There are plenty of hard core Rush fans with deep pockets that will have to have this in their collection.
I'd rather hear new material from Geddy and Alex anytime..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6338 on: March 15, 2023, 03:42:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-_XspE2hcs

The band have uploaded a new "visualizer" video for "The Analog Kid". Still won't convince me to buy their bare-bones box set. :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online pg1067

« Reply #6339 on: March 15, 2023, 05:14:58 PM »
I watched the video.  It's lame for many reasons, not the least of which is that it includes no fawn-eyed girl with sun-browned legs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6340 on: March 15, 2023, 05:51:58 PM »
Looks like a cash grab, which if they can I can't blame them.

So...do you think the band (Geddy & Alex) are directly involved in this or is it the "record company"?

I wonder how they really feel about it, because it's packages like this that make me lose respect for an artist. I can't behoove anyone from making money, and I can always choose not to purchase, but...things like this are so cheesy, bordering on classless.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6341 on: March 15, 2023, 05:56:07 PM »
I have zero interest in these anniversary boxsets.  Who wants a big book of pictures and shit anyway?  If there's content with substance and worthwhile and is value for money fair enough maybe, but just seems a carrot to dangle infront of the absolute completists. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6342 on: March 15, 2023, 06:17:38 PM »

So...do you think the band (Geddy & Alex) are directly involved in this or is it the "record company"?

I wonder how they really feel about it, because it's packages like this that make me lose respect for an artist. I can't behoove anyone from making money, and I can always choose not to purchase, but...things like this are so cheesy, bordering on classless.

They are not. And I know that from two sources: Hugh Syme confirmed this to me when I interviewed him about the Rush covers and asked about these reissues; and Andy Curran, who is in Envy of None with Alex and was Rush's A&R guy for ages, left Anthem Records when Rush called it quits in 2015. The band is no longer involved in the decisions about their catalogue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6343 on: March 15, 2023, 06:21:55 PM »

They are not. And I know that from two sources: Hugh Syme confirmed this to me when I interviewed him about the Rush covers and asked about these reissues; and Andy Curran, who is in Envy of None with Alex and was Rush's A&R guy for ages, left Anthem Records when Rush called it quits in 2015. The band is no longer involved in the decisions about their catalogue.

I would assume most of the time these things would be record company driven.  I guess the band would know all this and the possibilities of these sorts of things from the get go, but would still be slightly irritating if I were Alex and Geddy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6344 on: March 15, 2023, 06:41:45 PM »

Thank you for the clarification.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6345 on: March 15, 2023, 06:58:08 PM »

I would assume most of the time these things would be record company driven.  I guess the band would know all this and the possibilities of these sorts of things from the get go, but would still be slightly irritating if I were Alex and Geddy.

I would be VERY annoyed if the band was still active and the record company decided to do something like this. As it stands right now, Rush is completely done. From a legacy standpoint, I'm fine with the other reissues with bonus material, but with nothing extra to add like the Signals one...it just reeks of cash grab.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6346 on: March 15, 2023, 07:31:13 PM »
I thought I read an interview with Geddy where he said he and Alex are asked if something can be released and they give a "yes" or "no," but other than that, they are not involved.

Online Kram

« Reply #6347 on: March 17, 2023, 05:47:03 PM »
I thought I read an interview with Geddy where he said he and Alex are asked if something can be released and they give a "yes" or "no," but other than that, they are not involved.
Interesting!  If you can recall which interview this was, please share..

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6348 on: March 18, 2023, 06:26:49 PM »
Looks like a cash grab,  which if they can I can't blame them. The artwork looks cool and all, but I can't justify spending that kind of money. There are plenty of hard core Rush fans with deep pockets that will have to have this in their collection.
I'd rather hear new material from Geddy and Alex anytime..

Not happening. Haven't bought one of these Super Deluxes since 2112. (I've been in on the CD sets however. Except this time the only way to get the CD is in the box so I guess I'm out.) I did manage to get a sealed copy of the the Twilight Zone 45 reissue which was limited to 1000 copies in the 2112 Super Deluxe because that's the only thing I really wanted from that set.

The ONE thing that has been great about these is the art and design from Hugh Syme. Too bad he can't release a book with all of this on his own. I'd be way more interested in that. But unless there's a way to cherry pick individual aspects of these (no vinyl for one) I'm not interested when it's mostly sitting on my shelf already.

If there's no individual CD option on the next one (if there is one) I'm done.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6349 on: March 27, 2023, 08:04:58 PM »

Online pg1067

« Reply #6350 on: March 28, 2023, 09:59:12 AM »
The Snowdogs! :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHFhC-hx14

OK...the kid coming out to sing Temples with his hoodie had me laughing the whole time.  As did "kneel pert."   :lol  But not bad at all.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6351 on: March 28, 2023, 12:06:33 PM »

OK...the kid coming out to sing Temples with his hoodie had me laughing the whole time.  As did "kneel pert."   :lol  But not bad at all.

It would have been a lot better had they covered a song from Power Windows.

Online Kram

« Reply #6352 on: March 28, 2023, 12:07:39 PM »

Yeah I think that kid was trying to conceal his identity by pulling the hoodie down over his face lol.  Other than that, surpisingly not bad!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6353 on: March 29, 2023, 08:09:47 AM »

Yeah I think that kid was trying to conceal his identity by pulling the hoodie down over his face lol.  Other than that, surpisingly not bad!

Was he someone famous?  Or just had outstanding warrants, or something like that? :) :) :)

Online pg1067

« Reply #6354 on: March 29, 2023, 09:59:54 AM »
The funny thing was that he wasn't even wearing the hoddie at the beginning of the video.  And when he returned for the end of Grand Finale, he had the hood down.

I'm envisioning a conversation that included something like this, "Dad...I don't want to be in your lame video!"  Dad then offers kid a new XBox game or something like that.  "Ok...I'll do it, but only if I can have my hoodie covering my face so my friends won't know it's me."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6355 on: March 29, 2023, 10:45:19 AM »
You guys know there's more videos where the kid is not hiding himself.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6356 on: March 29, 2023, 10:51:25 AM »
WOW.  From the comments here I thought that was a humorous, funny video, but those kids slayed.  That was really good. I loved that drummer; for all of Neil's precision, there was always an element of "Keith Moon" to his playing, and that drummer got the essence of that aspect of "Kneel" for sure. 

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6357 on: April 05, 2023, 02:52:43 AM »
Signals 40th anniversary stand alone CD is coming to Japan at the end of next month, $18US plus shipping, a far cheaper option than the SDE.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-16156?utm_source=MAIL&utm_medium=text-artistmail&utm_campaign=Rush-20230404-person_prod-UICY-16156

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6358 on: April 05, 2023, 07:27:01 AM »
Signals 40th anniversary stand alone CD is coming to Japan at the end of next month, $18US plus shipping, a far cheaper option than the SDE.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-16156?utm_source=MAIL&utm_medium=text-artistmail&utm_campaign=Rush-20230404-person_prod-UICY-16156

Would love to hear the Atmos mix. This is the 2015 remaster (from CDJapan) so it's really nothing new. Between this release and PF"s Dark Side of the Moon boxset that was released last week also with an Atmos mix, I'm a bit pissed that only those mixes are available through the boxset.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6359 on: April 05, 2023, 07:29:49 AM »

Would love to hear the Atmos mix. This is the 2015 remaster (from CDJapan) so it's really nothing new. Between this release and PF"s Dark Side of the Moon boxset that was released last week also with an Atmos mix, I'm a bit pissed that only those mixes are available through the boxset.

Do you have an Atmos setup? I'm curious about these, I think the only thing I have in Atmos is Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson's last albums.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6360 on: April 05, 2023, 09:34:02 AM »
While I'd like a standalone CD, the cheapest shipping option is $11. I might just get the remaster from HD Tracks instead. That's what I did with the first few albums since they never got a CD release with the Abbey Road remaster.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6361 on: April 07, 2023, 08:46:10 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6362 on: April 07, 2023, 10:05:43 AM »
Can't wait to read it.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6363 on: April 07, 2023, 10:09:53 AM »
Pre-ordered!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6364 on: April 07, 2023, 01:00:42 PM »

Thanks!  Very excited about this. That's all I really wanted (Although live tracks would have been nice.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6365 on: April 07, 2023, 01:02:59 PM »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6366 on: April 07, 2023, 03:32:28 PM »
While I'd like a standalone CD, the cheapest shipping option is $11. I might just get the remaster from HD Tracks instead. That's what I did with the first few albums since they never got a CD release with the Abbey Road remaster.

What else can you get for $11 these days?
Shipping from Japan is always expensive, besides it's bound to be a collectors items in the future, being SHM-CD and limited pressing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6367 on: April 13, 2023, 08:11:54 PM »

What else can you get for $11 these days?
Shipping from Japan is always expensive, besides it's bound to be a collectors items in the future, being SHM-CD and limited pressing.

Don't know if it will sound better than the Mobile Fidelity but it's going to be fun seeing if it does.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6368 on: April 16, 2023, 01:51:15 PM »
Signals is the main feature of the latest PROG magazine, it's on the cover and features a decent article.
Two things main things to take away, there are demo's and Terry Brown stated he'd like to remix the album.
So of course my question is, if the demo's still exist why aren't they included (from a historical perspective, the band don't release demo's) and why isn't there a TB remix included the deluxe box?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6369 on: April 17, 2023, 11:52:48 AM »
Signals is the main feature of the latest PROG magazine, it's on the cover and features a decent article.
Two things main things to take away, there are demo's and Terry Brown stated he'd like to remix the album.
So of course my question is, if the demo's still exist why aren't they included (from a historical perspective, the band don't release demo's) and why isn't there a TB remix included the deluxe box?
Good question. I can only hope there will be enough backlash from the fans so that whoever's putting these things together realizes they screwed up and will remedy the problem for future 40th anniversary releases, assuming they continue to do them. I can almost see the failure or lack of success of the Signals reissue being an excuse for them to stop these reissues. "Well, the fans have spoken - everything after Moving Pictures won't sell like the earlier stuff..."  ::)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.