Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497499 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6265 on: January 11, 2023, 08:25:23 PM »
The Garden is the right song, on the right place, on the right album, at the right point in a band's career. Sometimes all those stars aligning give a song a significant boost.

The Endless River ruined what should be the flag bearer for elite level final songs on a band's final album.

I was reading the posts and immediately thought of the Endless River. High Hopes was such a perfect way to end the Pink Floyd story that Endless River was never going to top it, it just took the wind out of the sails.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6266 on: January 11, 2023, 08:33:18 PM »
The Garden is the right song, on the right place, on the right album, at the right point in a band's career. Sometimes all those stars aligning give a song a significant boost.

This.  Lyrically, it's as good as anything Neil ever wrote (imo).  Performance-wise ... shit, they were all in their 60s, so I'm not going to try and compare their performance of songs from Perm Waves or Hemispheres.  The guitar solo is the most emotive I've ever heard Alex play.

I think the scene from the book that this song tells simply amplifies my love for the song.  I'm curious how many her have/have not read the book, and whether that makes a difference like it did/does for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6267 on: January 11, 2023, 08:35:18 PM »
I was just thinking about that book. I got that as a birthday gift along with the CD from my sister, and while I highly enjoyed the album from the start, I put the book on the shelf meaning to get around to it, and never have.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6268 on: January 11, 2023, 08:41:55 PM »
I love The Garden and happen to think it's  a fitting closer to a career.
I agree emtee.  Is it one of their best songs ever?  No, definitely not.  Is it a poignant closing song to a 40+ year career (and a very good song at that)? Yes

This

And this.

While it's certainly true that there was something that felt final about that song - and for that reason it might have added a certain "aura" that boosted fans' appreciation - I do think it's a really good, emotional tune. The simple piano motif and Alex's solo are beautiful, and so is the song's fade-out finale...

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6269 on: January 11, 2023, 08:47:37 PM »

This.  Lyrically, it's as good as anything Neil ever wrote (imo).  Performance-wise ... shit, they were all in their 60s, so I'm not going to try and compare their performance of songs from Perm Waves or Hemispheres.  The guitar solo is the most emotive I've ever heard Alex play.

I think the scene from the book that this song tells simply amplifies my love for the song.  I'm curious how many her have/have not read the book, and whether that makes a difference like it did/does for me.

I should go back and reread that scene.  I recall thinking favorably about it, but I didn't care for the book all that much in general.  I think it could have been cool but the writing just wasn't all that great to me.

But otherwise I agree with both you and Chris.

And Nick.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6270 on: January 11, 2023, 10:28:05 PM »

The Endless River ruined what should be the flag bearer for elite level final songs on a band's final album.

I was reading the posts and immediately thought of the Endless River. High Hopes was such a perfect way to end the Pink Floyd story that Endless River was never going to top it, it just took the wind out of the sails.

The Endless River is more like Led Zeppelin’s Coda….a posthumous release.  I’m glad they released it, and I enjoy listening to it, but I’m not sure I consider it a proper album. It’s an afterthought.   

Sorta like an epilogue is something that happens in the book after “The End”.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6271 on: January 11, 2023, 11:23:11 PM »
The Endless River is more like Led Zeppelin’s Coda….a posthumous release.  I’m glad they released it, and I enjoy listening to it, but I’m not sure I consider it a proper album. It’s an afterthought.   

I get it, but it's still an album released under their name, so I have to consider it part of their discography. And while it could be considered an epilogue, which I am content with, it's still part of the story. I've never seen anything in a book after the words "The End."

And since we are getting off topic... f*@$ movies that have a scene after the credits.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6272 on: January 11, 2023, 11:46:52 PM »

I get it, but it's still an album released under their name, so I have to consider it part of their discography. And while it could be considered an epilogue, which I am content with, it's still part of the story. I've never seen anything in a book after the words "The End."

And since we are getting off topic... f*@$ movies that have a scene after the credits.

Just think of High Hopes as Juliet’s dying speech, and The Endless River as the little dude who walks out on stage and does the whole “never was there more woe” speech followed by a plug to tip your server.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6273 on: January 12, 2023, 12:44:30 AM »
The Garden is a fantastic album closer. It's a great way to end what ended up being their final album, and I personally feel that Peart sort of had that feeling of it possibly being their last album too. They weren't getting younger, and who knows when the band would've wanted to come together. Ending the band on this album was the best move for Rush.

The song talks about the passage of time, and it's as if it's told from the POV of someone who is older, someone who once dreamed of the future but now that future dream has become a memory of the past. It's a realization that the life lived is what it is, and through that journey, the treasures that measure life are love and respect.

It's like a contentment and acceptance of having lived the dream and wanting to settle someplace to "tend your own garden". As did Candide chose to settle on a farm near Constantinople.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6274 on: January 12, 2023, 10:00:59 AM »
The Garden is a fantastic album closer. It's a great way to end what ended up being their final album, and I personally feel that Peart sort of had that feeling of it possibly being their last album too. They weren't getting younger, and who knows when the band would've wanted to come together. Ending the band on this album was the best move for Rush.

The song talks about the passage of time, and it's as if it's told from the POV of someone who is older, someone who once dreamed of the future but now that future dream has become a memory of the past. It's a realization that the life lived is what it is, and through that journey, the treasures that measure life are love and respect.

It's like a contentment and acceptance of having lived the dream and wanting to settle someplace to "tend your own garden". As did Candide chose to settle on a farm near Constantinople.

Beautifully put. I do believe The Garden was carefully designed to be the last studio song they released.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6275 on: January 12, 2023, 05:26:29 PM »
Fresh from the oven:

NDV plays Neil Peart grooves from Hemispheres, Grace and Signals

Offline HOF

« Reply #6276 on: January 12, 2023, 08:49:24 PM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #6277 on: January 15, 2023, 08:09:23 PM »
Here’s footage (multi shot) of Losing It from Bubba Bash. Fantastic!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FOE3AkKABvc

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6278 on: January 15, 2023, 08:13:15 PM »
Really fun evening of Rush music last night! the Keswick was packed with die hard Rush fans, many of them sporting their really cool Rush gear. I broke out my R40 jersey that I don't wear very often.
The first set was YYNOT performing some great Rush covers as well as a few originals. I was really impressed with Patty, the singer. She had a very powerful voice and brought great energy to the classic songs I have loved for so long. She had a great stage presence and danced around all night, really looking like she was loving it.
The second set kicked off with John Wesley and Frank Bello joining the band (drummer and singer) for 2 songs. Next was Joe Bergamini  drums for 2 songs followed by Seven Antonopolos who was a beast on drums. Next up was Jason Bittner who was really powerful on the drums. When you see top level musicians playing Rush you can really see just how hard this music is to replicate properly! Somewhere in here was Jon Dinklage who guested on violin for a really great version of Losing It. The last guest drummer was none other than Mr. Mike Portnoy who garnered a great crowd response. I could feel his anxiety as they kicked off 2112. He motioned to the YYNOT guys  that he wanted to have a visual on the syncopated beginning and they both turned around to play to the crowd! I'm sure he didn't want to be the guy that messed up a NP part! It turned out great though. Michael Mossberg came out and said a few words about donating to Cedar Sinai as well as the bass player giving a few shout outs but it would have been nice to have a few NP visuals and maybe have the guests say a few words about Neil. I wanted to get a shirt but the merch line was crazy going in and even crazier after the show as all the musicians were making themselves available to meet the fans. I will just make a donation on line.
Overall a great evening and i would definitely see YYNOT  next time they make their way through the area.

I generally love the Keswick, but if there are a few downsides, the congestion around the merch/bar areas can be rough, and the bathroom situation is always especially atrocious.

Given this was originally YYNot show turned tribute, not surprised that there was no extra visual setup, but am surprised that no one had any short tributes about Neil. Especially from guys like Wesley and Portnoy who actually knew him.

But I had a great time, whole band was great, got a few deep cuts to actually be excited about, and the guests did a great job.
Sorry I missed you Nick.  Had third row right seats and didn't go anywhere during the intermission and we didn't hang around after the show. I had very low expectations but I really liked the bass player and the special guests in the second set. I was happy just to get a token post-Signals song. I wanted to experience Losing It again live  for likely the last time in my life. Like you I was hoping to hear some stories from the people who knew Neil but it has been three years so maybe I should have been expecting that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6279 on: January 15, 2023, 08:21:15 PM »
Nothing from the last 30 years of their 40-year history played?  Ugh, how boringly predictable.

You kind of have to expect that these days, which is why I don't go to a lot of Rush tributes (There seems to be a quite a few around at the moment.)

The only Rush tribute that I really loved because they totally captured the "spirit" of Rush and not just the notes was Power Windows (with Joe Bergamini and Zak Rivizi oddly enough.) But Power Windows pulled out songs from the entire catalog when they were active in the '90s.

The YYNOT bass played was like that too. Aside from being a monster bass player he totally got the vibe.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6280 on: January 15, 2023, 08:24:26 PM »
Nothing from the last 30 years of their 40-year history played?  Ugh, how boringly predictable.

Yeah it bums me out when I see a tribute band just doing the same shit live the original band did. This is your chance to throw a bone to die-hards who never got to see stuff like Prime Mover or Chain Lightning or Cut To The Chase or Vapor Trail but it's just the same old late 70's/early 80's stuff Rush beat into the ground over the years. I like YYNOT's original stuff a lot but I think they could easily expand their live set to cover more ground.

The end of Closer To The Heart was the the perfect time to go nuts with a jam but it never happened. Even Primus took advantage of that opportunity.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6281 on: January 15, 2023, 08:28:15 PM »
I saw a Rush tribute band play in Delaware a few years ago that would do some fun, obscure stuff. You know what song got an insane amount of applause and cheers from the audience? Half The World. That stupid ass song got the entire crowd going wild, probably because of how unexpected it was. I don't like it much, but goddamn I was excited to hear it anyway. If people are seeing a Rush tribute band, I'd have to imagine they're beyond the point of casual and have a good grasp on most of the catalog. I get it, Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio might get some more attention because they're well-known, but they're a tribute band. They have no responsibility or obligation to play the hits, they can do whatever the hell they want.

If I heard a tribute band play Half The World I'd freaking go nuts too.  I think Power Windows may have played that one too, but I really can't recall. I know they played Where's My Thing and Leave That Thing Alone. That's think kind of tribute band I want to see if they have the vibe to go with it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6282 on: January 15, 2023, 08:31:45 PM »
Someone did a closing track survivor on the Rush subreddit.  It stalled out about a week ago, but the results of the first seven rounds were

14T. In the End
14T. Everyday Glory
15. You Bet Your Life
16. High Water
17. We Hold On
18. Out of the Cradle
19. Carve Away the Stone

I was seriously bummed to see Out of the Cradle go out so early and to see In the End and Everyday Glory go out while Mystic Rhythms and The Garba...err...Garden remain.

Also, I believe that In the End was the only one of the eliminated songs to have been played live.
I always really liked Everyday Glory

I’m a big fan of Every Day Glory as well as Carve Away The Stone and High Water.

I really like five of those....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6283 on: January 15, 2023, 08:38:44 PM »

Have multiple copies of the book and still have not desire to read it and I can't get enough of the song and the album. Hell, wife keeps telling me she wants it played at her funeral.
That song was a spectacle live.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6284 on: January 15, 2023, 08:40:28 PM »

He absolutely did. He thought he was done after that tour and had to be talked into R40.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6285 on: January 15, 2023, 08:43:02 PM »

That brings back some memories....

Offline HOF

« Reply #6286 on: January 16, 2023, 09:55:54 PM »

And here is an Overture/The Temples of Syrinx (with MP) multi-shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9l1a4UiaOU

Online DTA

« Reply #6287 on: January 17, 2023, 06:17:14 AM »
The Losing It cover was incredible, and Patty's voice on 2112 is insane. She is immensely talented and a great fit for the band

Offline HOF

« Reply #6288 on: January 17, 2023, 06:27:51 AM »
The Losing It cover was incredible, and Patty's voice on 2112 is insane. She is immensely talented and a great fit for the band

Losing It was a bit low for her range, but she killed it on Temples. I’d rather hear her sing it than Geddy!

Offline Kram

« Reply #6289 on: January 17, 2023, 11:42:56 AM »

Losing It was a bit low for her range, but she killed it on Temples. I’d rather hear her sing it than Geddy!
Agree with both of you.  I usually don't like it when women cover Rush songs, but this chic's got an amazing voice for it. Very impressed!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6290 on: January 17, 2023, 12:22:55 PM »

Agree with both of you.  I usually don't like it when women cover Rush songs, but this chic's got an amazing voice for it. Very impressed!

It's weird having a discussion of Rush vocals and worrying about things being too low. :lol

I agree that she excels in their top end, she absolutely nailed stuff like 2112 and Bastille Day.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6291 on: January 17, 2023, 12:23:58 PM »
You guys mean Rush didn't have a woman singer?? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6292 on: January 17, 2023, 12:29:11 PM »
Someone did a closing track survivor on the Rush subreddit.  It stalled out about a week ago, but the results of the first seven rounds were

14T. In the End
14T. Everyday Glory
15. You Bet Your Life
16. High Water
17. We Hold On
18. Out of the Cradle
19. Carve Away the Stone

I was seriously bummed to see Out of the Cradle go out so early and to see In the End and Everyday Glory go out while Mystic Rhythms and The Garba...err...Garden remain.

Also, I believe that In the End was the only one of the eliminated songs to have been played live.
I always really liked Everyday Glory

I’m a big fan of Every Day Glory as well as Carve Away The Stone and High Water.

I really like five of those....

Someone else restarted the survivor.  Currently (in addition to what I already mentioned):

12. Countdown (BOO!)
11. The Fountain of Lamneth
10. Available Light (BOO!)
9. Something for Nothing

Hoping that Mystic Rhythms will finally go next (should've been out several rounds ago).

Rocky Kuner's voice was what originally attracted me to YYNOT.  She was unique in her ability to nail the pre-Moving Pictures material (I've NEVER seen a male tribute band singer do that stuff justice).  If you've never seen it, look on YouTube for YYNOT's version of No One at the Bridge with Rocky.  It will give you serious shivers.  Patty Pershayla, who replaced Rocky about a year ago, also nails the early material but has a bit more range and depth for other songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6293 on: January 17, 2023, 01:16:36 PM »
On a different note, I cracked open Rush's Golden Ale this weekend. Sat back with some friends and listened to a couple records. The beer is okay. It's a golden ale. You're paying for the Rush label. Anyone in the U.S. thinking of getting it, if you're a beer person, it isn't really anything spectacular. Decent, but dozens of beers taste just like it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6294 on: January 17, 2023, 04:23:01 PM »
I used to work with a guy that thought Rush and Heart were the same band because the singers sounded "the same" :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6295 on: January 17, 2023, 05:05:11 PM »
I used to work with a guy that thought Rush and Heart were the same band because the singers sounded "the same" :lol

:lol

On a different note, I cracked open Rush's Golden Ale this weekend. Sat back with some friends and listened to a couple records. The beer is okay. It's a golden ale. You're paying for the Rush label. Anyone in the U.S. thinking of getting it, if you're a beer person, it isn't really anything spectacular. Decent, but dozens of beers taste just like it.

I work with a guy also named Paul, who is also a big Rush fan.  I have had a Jeopardy page-a-day calendar on my desk as long as he and I have been in the same office, and the last four years, he and I have kept score.  The stakes are a fried chicken lunch, and I've won every year.  In late 2021, he had massive dental work, so that lunch never happened.  Today, when he got into the office, he handed me a couple vintage Dodger pins (one from the 1988 World Series) and two bottles of the Rush Golden Ale (one to display and one to drink)!  SCORE!  He said one of his daughters bought him a case for Christmas.  I'll probably drink it over the weekend, but the display bottle will mean more to me (although I'll likely drink both and pop the caps back on them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #6296 on: January 28, 2023, 10:05:54 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=481kX-gpGUk

"This is a love mustard, this Rush mustard"

"That's really a weird thing to say, Al."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6297 on: January 28, 2023, 10:23:55 AM »
The world will shut up. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kram

« Reply #6298 on: January 28, 2023, 12:58:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=481kX-gpGUk

"This is a love mustard, this Rush mustard"

"That's really a weird thing to say, Al."
"I'm not really an expert on mustard...... but who is?"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6299 on: January 28, 2023, 01:41:07 PM »
"What a great combination...Our beer, and our mustard"
"Yeah, and people shutting up."

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD