Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497606 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6160 on: November 15, 2022, 01:54:16 PM »
There are certainly indicia of legitimacy here.  However, it's really hard for me to accept that, on the last night of an incredibly difficult tour, they pulled out a 20 minute "epic" that they hadn't been playing all along.  It's not like they had abundant rehearsal time to get it ready for performance.  If they'd been playing it at soundchecks leading up to that show (or if they did hardcore rehearsals for that show during the five days they had off before that show), you'd expect someone affiliated with the band to remember that.  And, if they hadn't been sounchecking it or didn't rehearse it, that means that, 74 dates into the tour, they pulled out a song they hadn't played in 5-6 months (since the album was recorded) for its first live performance.  Without a recording, it's hard for me to believe this.

Good point. With that said, I find it hard to believe that they didn't perform it at any of their headlining gigs at all. The fact that it is claimed that it was only played at 3 shows doesn't mean it wasn't played at others. Without any boots to confirm one way or the other, I doubt we'll ever know for certain. But to imagine them not playing their brand new first side-long epic at any of the shows on that tour seems a bit hard to believe.

Absolutely agree (at least parts of it).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6161 on: November 16, 2022, 08:20:10 AM »
Yeah, I mean, I am sure they likely screwed around with it and attempted it at a couple shows. It's not unheard of for bands, even those of Rush's ilk, to play something once or twice out of the blue, and never again. Even a song that long, if they practiced it, my feeling is, they likely tried it a couple times and then didn't bother again.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kram

« Reply #6162 on: November 19, 2022, 11:41:38 AM »
Yeah, I mean, I am sure they likely screwed around with it and attempted it at a couple shows. It's not unheard of for bands, even those of Rush's ilk, to play something once or twice out of the blue, and never again. Even a song that long, if they practiced it, my feeling is, they likely tried it a couple times and then didn't bother again.
I agree this happens to many bands DT included.  They'll try the song at a few gigs and if they feel it's just not working, or the crowd is not responding favorably, they'll scrap it.  So this lends credence to the band possibly performing it 2-3 times then scraping it.  A true Rush mystery LOL

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6163 on: November 19, 2022, 11:42:10 AM »
Double post, sorry...
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6164 on: November 19, 2022, 11:42:28 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6165 on: November 19, 2022, 12:44:08 PM »
That's exciting, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6166 on: November 19, 2022, 09:11:56 PM »
Alex will play a few songs with a local band called Rheostatics inToronto this Thursday at the legendary Horseshoe Tavern. I'll be there.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6167 on: November 21, 2022, 11:38:00 AM »
That's awesome. :) I hope there will be videos of the event.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #6168 on: November 21, 2022, 11:57:26 AM »
That's exciting, can't wait to get my hands on it.

I'm buying!!!!!!!!!!!!
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6170 on: November 27, 2022, 11:49:55 AM »

Videos would be great.

Love The Rheostatics. Have a few of their CDs. Neil played a few songs on one of them.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6171 on: November 27, 2022, 11:53:17 AM »
Geddy's memoir will be released in May next year.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/rushs_geddy_lees_memoir_to_be_released_in_may_2023.html

It was supposed to be out already. Unfortunately, I think the editors want it on the chopping block. Hopefully Geddy is fighting the good fight with that.  Book Tour would be nice. Already thanked him on the last one, but I have no problem thanking him again.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6172 on: November 27, 2022, 03:33:20 PM »

I went there and Alex was a no show. I left after 4 songs.

Online HOF

« Reply #6173 on: November 29, 2022, 12:59:21 PM »
Mike Portnoy will be taking part in YYNOT's "Bubba Bash" concert in celebration of Neil Peart on January 7th in Glenside, PA:

https://twitter.com/rushisaband/status/1597679015103717376?s=20&t=bvfuZp8ZbxPcEP0TqOTZKg

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6174 on: November 29, 2022, 01:01:04 PM »
Mike Portnoy will be taking part in YYNOT's "Bubba Bash" concert in celebration of Neil Peart on January 7th in Glenside, PA:

https://twitter.com/rushisaband/status/1597679015103717376?s=20&t=bvfuZp8ZbxPcEP0TqOTZKg

That's AWESOME!  I'm more excited about YYNOT getting this sort of promotion.  Such a great band.  Too bad it's on the other side of the country.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline frogprog

« Reply #6175 on: November 30, 2022, 04:09:26 AM »
Not from me! Five minutes away, I will be there!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #6176 on: November 30, 2022, 06:46:35 AM »
I'm in South Jersey so this might be very doable...I'd love to finally see YYNOT

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6177 on: November 30, 2022, 09:55:45 AM »
I cannot recommend YYNOT enough.  I've seen them four times (thrice with Rocky and once with Patty).  The Rush covers are spot on, and the originals are excellent!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6178 on: November 30, 2022, 10:27:20 AM »
Yeah, I'll definitely be at that tribute show.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6179 on: December 10, 2022, 02:28:48 PM »

I went there and Alex was a no show. I left after 4 songs.

He was under the weather. I hope he's feeling better. Wish I could have been there.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6180 on: December 10, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »

That's AWESOME!  I'm more excited about YYNOT getting this sort of promotion.  Such a great band.  Too bad it's on the other side of the country.

Not really a fan but that's not the reason I'm going. The special guests persuaded me that I needed to be there and it is for charity so it's making the evening easier to swallow. If it isn't sold out already it's close which is mildly surprising to me given the atypical short notice from a prior age.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6181 on: December 10, 2022, 02:38:21 PM »
Yeah, I'll definitely be at that tribute show.

Awesome!

See you there!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6182 on: December 11, 2022, 01:54:45 PM »

Not really a fan but that's not the reason I'm going. The special guests persuaded me that I needed to be there and it is for charity so it's making the evening easier to swallow. If it isn't sold out already it's close which is mildly surprising to me given the atypical short notice from a prior age.

From what I've read on YYNOT social media, it started out as a normal YYNOT show and then morphed into what it is now.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6183 on: December 17, 2022, 04:17:21 PM »
I'm kind of curious as to who organized it. There are at least two more Rush tributes playing in a 90 minute radius around here around that time. I thought I remember seeing the listing a few months back with no mention of Neil which would have caught my attention, but maybe not.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6184 on: December 17, 2022, 11:33:22 PM »
YYNOT's bassist, Tim Starace, and MP have a mutual friend, and I believe things snowballed from there.

Offline stugotz

« Reply #6185 on: December 19, 2022, 05:48:52 AM »

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 09:15:39 AM by stugotz »

Offline Tim Starace

« Reply #6186 on: December 19, 2022, 09:18:55 AM »
YYNOT's bassist, Tim Starace, and MP have a mutual friend, and I believe things snowballed from there.

That's pretty much how it happened.

The show got booked a while ago and only recently did I notice that it was on the 3rd anniversary of Neil's passing. At that point we actually contemplated postponing the show out of respect to the family.
But after a call to a friend, we came up with a better idea - a "Celebration of his life while raising money and awareness" Every special guest involved in this is donating their time and covering all of their own travel expenses. 100 percent of all merch is going to Cedar Sinai in Neil's name. There will also be several special items auctioned off as well. Honestly I thought trying to get something like this together with so many artists would be difficult, but it was surprisingly easy as everyone involved has such love, respect, and admiration for Neil that it fell right into place rather easily.

Hope to see you there!

BTW if anyone would like to contribute directly to Cedar Sinai in Neil's name here is the direct link.

https://giving.cedars-sinai.edu/neilpeartbraintumorresearch

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6187 on: December 19, 2022, 09:37:19 AM »

That's pretty much how it happened.

The show got booked a while ago and only recently did I notice that it was on the 3rd anniversary of Neil's passing. At that point we actually contemplated postponing the show out of respect to the family.
But after a call to a friend, we came up with a better idea - a "Celebration of his life while raising money and awareness" Every special guest involved in this is donating their time and covering all of their own travel expenses. 100 percent of all merch is going to Cedar Sinai in Neil's name. There will also be several special items auctioned off as well. Honestly I thought trying to get something like this together with so many artists would be difficult, but it was surprisingly easy as everyone involved has such love, respect, and admiration for Neil that it fell right into place rather easily.

Hope to see you there!

BTW if anyone would like to contribute directly to Cedar Sinai in Neil's name here is the direct link.

https://giving.cedars-sinai.edu/neilpeartbraintumorresearch

Hey Tim!  Didn't expect to see you here.

Unfortunately, I live in Billy's neck of the woods, and the show is my daughter's birthday weekend (and her last weekend home before heading back to college).  Otherwise, I'd have given serious thoughts to flying out.  I'll just have to wait for the next Coach House show (or maybe a return to the Gaslamp)!  Cheers!

Offline Tim Starace

« Reply #6188 on: December 19, 2022, 09:39:49 AM »
Howdy!

If this goes well, as we fully expect, this will become an annual event. So you should be covered out on the West Coast in the near future.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6189 on: December 19, 2022, 09:48:18 AM »
Howdy!

If this goes well, as we fully expect, this will become an annual event. So you should be covered out on the West Coast in the near future.

Outstanding!  My YYNOT show count is at 4 (twice at Alvas, once at the Canyon and once at the Coach House).  Looking forward to seeing that number rise.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6190 on: December 19, 2022, 09:50:32 AM »
Howdy!

Hell yeah. Very cool. Happy Holidays Tim!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Tim Starace

« Reply #6191 on: December 19, 2022, 09:54:27 AM »
Howdy!

Hell yeah. Very cool. Happy Holidays Tim!

Same to you and yours, brother!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6192 on: December 19, 2022, 12:55:13 PM »
The more Rush fans here, the better!!  Welcome!!  :hat :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6193 on: December 19, 2022, 12:58:42 PM »
Nice!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6194 on: December 27, 2022, 02:33:53 PM »
Just came back from my local Barnes & Noble where today is the 2nd and last day for a 50% off sale on ALL hardcover books, so I found and picked up the small Illustrated Neil Peart Quotes, and the massive Wandering The Face Of The Earth: The Complete Touring History 1968-2015. Only $35 plus tax for both! Can't wait to thumb through the tour history book!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!