Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497664 times)

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6090 on: August 27, 2022, 09:35:53 AM »
Just stopping by to say:

Mystic Rhythms  :hefdaddy

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6091 on: August 27, 2022, 09:58:00 AM »
Someone posted a “dream set list” on a Rush fan page that consisted of only “first songs”, and I guess I was a bit shocked at what an excellent set list it would make. Usually, if you’re thinking that linear, there’s usually a point where it goes all wrong. But this is actually a pretty awesome list. Especially with the arranged order he put it in. It would make an excellent flow.

Set 1:
Introduction: Three Stooges Theme   1:04
The Spirit of Radio   5:03
Subdivisions   5:48
Distant Early Warning   5:24
Caravan   5:42
The Big Money   6:02
Show Don’t Tell   5:29
A Far Cry   5:31
A Farewell to Kings   5:53
2112   21:36
[1:07:32]
Set 2:
One Little Victory (Dragon Intro)   5:47
Force Ten   5:35
Dreamline   5:19
Test For Echo   6:15
Animate   6:15
Moto Perpetuo/Love for Sale (drum solo)   8:22
Summertime Blues   3:41
Tom Sawyer (South Park Intro)   5:57
Hemispheres Part I: Prelude   4:19
Bastille Day   5:07
Anthem   4:56
Finding My Way   4:34
[1:06:07]
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online romdrums

« Reply #6092 on: August 27, 2022, 10:43:28 AM »
That setlist is awesome! :hefdaddy
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6093 on: August 29, 2022, 04:02:02 AM »
Just stopping by to say:

Mystic Rhythms  :hefdaddy
Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone..   awesome song!   :coolio

Btw, that's a great first song setlist by jammindude!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6094 on: September 08, 2022, 07:05:57 AM »
Do you guys have a favorite Rush song?

Mine would be the acoustic version of Resist from Rush in Rio

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6095 on: September 08, 2022, 07:37:08 AM »
Hemispheres

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6096 on: September 08, 2022, 07:45:02 AM »
Marathon
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6097 on: September 08, 2022, 07:48:19 AM »
Subdivisions
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #6098 on: September 08, 2022, 07:51:27 AM »
Analog Kid

Offline billboy73

« Reply #6099 on: September 08, 2022, 08:13:18 AM »
My #1 doesn't change.  Always will be Natural Science.  So epic!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6100 on: September 08, 2022, 08:27:15 AM »
La Villa Straniato.  Unwaveringly so.  :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #6101 on: September 08, 2022, 08:35:53 AM »
Well, as of the top 75 Rush countdown we did a few months ago, my top 3 were:

1. Available Light
2. Between The Wheels
3. Emotion Detector

Offline DTA

« Reply #6102 on: September 08, 2022, 09:00:19 AM »
The Enemy Within... so much awesomeness in this song

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6103 on: September 08, 2022, 09:16:12 AM »
Probably The Spirit of radio. Not a particularly original choice, I know.  ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6104 on: September 08, 2022, 10:09:59 AM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6105 on: September 08, 2022, 01:26:17 PM »
I missed the countdown thread. I got into Rush late, sadly.

I started to have interest in the mid-1990s. I bought Test for Echo, liked it, but had to pass on the tour (a big regret) because I was in college and didn't have the money. Then Rush went away, and when they came back, I was at law school in Massachusetts and me and some buddies went to the "comeback" show in Hartford. I still wasn't a massive fan, and wasn't as "into" them as everyone else. But after that show, I started to be. I bought more records, saw them a couple more times, and became a hardcore fan. Sadly, their last two tours (Clockwork and R40) were in San Jose, which from where I live, is a non-starter on a weeknight. I SHOULD HAVE gone, obviously, but with the traffic, it would have been a ridiculous haul. Still, now, I wish I had.

My favorites right off the top of my head are Animate and Red Sector A Distant Early Warning. Those two always resonate.

edit. I misspoke and confused the two. But Red Sector A is in my top-10 for sure.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 11:57:13 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6106 on: September 08, 2022, 01:31:10 PM »
I missed the countdown thread. I got into Rush late, sadly.

I started to have interest in the mid-1990s. I bought Test for Echo, liked it, but had to pass on the tour (a big regret) because I was in college and didn't have the money. Then Rush went away, and when they came back, I was at law school in Massachusetts and me and some buddies went to the "comeback" show in Hartford. I still wasn't a massive fan, and wasn't as "into" them as everyone else. But after that show, I started to be. I bought more records, saw them a couple more times, and became a hardcore fan. Sadly, their last two tours (Clockwork and R40) were in San Jose, which from where I live, is a non-starter on a weeknight. I SHOULD HAVE gone, obviously, but with the traffic, it would have been a ridiculous haul. Still, now, I wish I had.

My favorites right off the top of my head are Animate and Red Sector A. Those two always resonate.

So you were there too for the opening night of the Vapor Trails tour?  Excellent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6107 on: September 08, 2022, 01:46:23 PM »
Yep!

I didn't realize the magnitude of the show when I was there, honestly. It was only later where I was like "hey, I was at that show!" The sad thing is, because I as so unfamiliar with them, except for the major radio hits, it's one of the few shows I don't quite remember anything from. I typically remember bits and pieces from every show I've gone to (I don't drink at shows, or if I do, it's literally one beer and that's it). But that one is drawing a blank.

Thankfully, I have the show as an audio bootleg, and some of Ged's banter I recalled, so there's that. :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online nick_z

« Reply #6108 on: September 08, 2022, 05:46:34 PM »
My #1 Rush song is Natural Science

My favorites right off the top of my head are Animate and Red Sector A. Those two always resonate.

Both fantastic picks...Animate, in particular, is a top 10 Rush song for me. So different for them and yet so very "Rush"...great groove and bass line, and that ending...so epic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6109 on: September 08, 2022, 05:48:09 PM »
I think their best song is quite obviously Family Sawyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bBYGPD4MTA

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #6110 on: September 08, 2022, 06:50:49 PM »
Depending on the day, mine is either Natural Science or Jacob's Ladder.  Yes, Permanent Waves is my favorite album.   :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6111 on: September 08, 2022, 09:20:13 PM »
2112 is my favorite Rush song, and has been one of my favorite songs by any band since the early 90s when I first heard it. Sitting here in 2022, ask me for my Mt Rushmore, and 2112 is on it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6112 on: September 08, 2022, 10:25:49 PM »
Do you guys have a favorite Rush song?

Mine would be the acoustic version of Resist from Rush in Rio

I'm about to be roasted to oblivion but Hope is my favorite, followed very closely by Marsthon.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6113 on: September 08, 2022, 10:43:26 PM »
I’m going to change the subject here to open it up to what you guys think.

How many of you think we have a possibility of getting a Signals 40th anniversary box set? Personally, I think the odds are extremely slim. As much as I love that album, I’m thinking their big hurrah boxed sets will be restricted to their “classic period” of 2112-MP.

What do you think?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6114 on: September 08, 2022, 11:19:08 PM »

How many of you think we have a possibility of getting a Signals 40th anniversary box set? Personally, I think the odds are extremely slim. As much as I love that album, I’m thinking their big hurrah boxed sets will be restricted to their “classic period” of 2112-MP.

What do you think?

Chances are slim, but I will remain hopeful if only because it might mean we get a complete Signals Tour soundboard show, which doesn't exist AFAIK.

I think Signals has a good chance considering it has the band's first number one single in "New World Man".

Also, today, the 9th of September, is the actual release date of Signals, so happy 40th birthday Signals!

Edit - also also, yesterday was the 35th birthday for Hold Your Fire, and tomorrow Test For Echo turns 26! Lots of September releases from Rush!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6115 on: September 09, 2022, 04:34:50 AM »
New World Man's peak was #21. It was never #1. 

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #6116 on: September 09, 2022, 05:31:29 AM »
yesterday was the 35th birthday for Hold Your Fire, and tomorrow Test For Echo turns 26!

I can remember buying both those albums when they came out like it was yesterday.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6117 on: September 09, 2022, 07:50:24 AM »

What do you think?

But that's a distinction - "the classic period" - that the fans have made, but the band themselves never really embraced.  I don't think Rush themselves ever viewed "2112-MP" as their "classic period".   I can absolutely see a Signals set.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6118 on: September 09, 2022, 08:18:36 AM »
Just saw this over at the Rush is a Band Blog:

Today is the 40th anniversary of the release of Rush's 9th studio album Signals. The album peaked at number 1 in Canada, number 3 in the UK, and number 10 in the US. It was certified platinum by the RIAA in November 1982, and produced three singles - New World Man (Rush's highest charting single in the US and a number-one hit in Canada), as well as Countdown and the classic Subdivisions. The album has been reissued several times, including a remaster with a new stereo and 5.1 surround sound mix in 2011. But what most fans are wondering about is whether a 40th anniversary box set reissue is in the works. Over the past several years, Rush has released 40th anniversary editions of several of their classic albums, including 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures, so it's assumed that they'll be giving Signals a similar treatment as well. The only question is the timing. The last 2 box sets were delayed due to supply chain and other issues - the Permanent Waves set didn't release until 6 months after the actual anniversary, and Moving Pictures was delayed even longer - well over a YEAR after the actual February 12, 2021 anniversary. So I think it's safe to say that we will be getting a box set, but it likely won't be released until sometime next year.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2022/09/09/5848/Updates-and-other-random-Rush-stuff

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6119 on: September 09, 2022, 08:40:39 AM »

Today is the 40th anniversary of the release of Rush's 9th studio album Signals. The album peaked at number 1 in Canada, number 3 in the UK, and number 10 in the US. It was certified platinum by the RIAA in November 1982, and produced three singles - New World Man (Rush's highest charting single in the US and a number-one hit in Canada), as well as Countdown and the classic Subdivisions. The album has been reissued several times, including a remaster with a new stereo and 5.1 surround sound mix in 2011. But what most fans are wondering about is whether a 40th anniversary box set reissue is in the works. Over the past several years, Rush has released 40th anniversary editions of several of their classic albums, including 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures, so it's assumed that they'll be giving Signals a similar treatment as well. The only question is the timing. The last 2 box sets were delayed due to supply chain and other issues - the Permanent Waves set didn't release until 6 months after the actual anniversary, and Moving Pictures was delayed even longer - well over a YEAR after the actual February 12, 2021 anniversary. So I think it's safe to say that we will be getting a box set, but it likely won't be released until sometime next year.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2022/09/09/5848/Updates-and-other-random-Rush-stuff

And from Wikipedia:

It went to #1 (on the RPM national singles chart) in Canada, where it remained for two weeks in October 1982.

It also hit No. 1 on the Billboard Top Tracks chart (the first Rush single to do so).

"New World Man" is also Ruah's only Top 40 hit in America, despite having numerous radio hits before Signals.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6120 on: September 09, 2022, 08:44:42 AM »

What do you think?

I think it will absolutely happen. With Rush now being extinct, but still at the top of their popularity, I think every landmark record for them (and Signals was one) will get the same treatment. it wouldn't surprise me if some of the mid-80s albums get more of a "deluxe" revamp instead, but a box set of Signals is going to happen. Those things are cash cows for bands. Suckers like us eat em up.

....and I saw Marc beat me to it.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6121 on: September 09, 2022, 08:52:52 AM »

And from Wikipedia:

It went to #1 (on the RPM national singles chart) in Canada, where it remained for two weeks in October 1982.

It also hit No. 1 on the Billboard Top Tracks chart (the first Rush single to do so).

"New World Man" is also Ruah's only Top 40 hit in America, despite having numerous radio hits before Signals.

-Marc.

That's like saying it hit #1 on the rock charts.  But it leaves out all other genres. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6122 on: September 09, 2022, 11:16:36 AM »
Is a 40th anniversary Signals set possible?  Of course.

How likely is it?  I have no clue.

Do I need or really want one?  Not really, unless it includes a remixing of the album to make the guitars more prominent (and a "deluxe" version that doesn't require me to make the choice between foregoing trinkets and wasting money on vinyl would be nice, but I know that's a pipe dream).

What do I want?  A 40th anniversary ESL set with FULL video of the Montreal Forum shows.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6123 on: September 09, 2022, 11:59:07 AM »
My #1 Rush song is Natural Science

Both fantastic picks...Animate, in particular, is a top 10 Rush song for me. So different for them and yet so very "Rush"...great groove and bass line, and that ending...so epic.

I goofed on Red Sector A. It's in my top-10 for sure. But I meant Distant Early Warning. I always goof those up as both are on GUP. :)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6124 on: October 01, 2022, 07:56:33 PM »
Listening to Rush In Rio today for the first time in years.

OH MY GOD, i forgot how much I love this album  :metal

I need to put this on again, as well. It’s probably been a decade at least since I listened to or watched that show.

Coming up on 20 years since this was recorded and 19 years since it was released.