Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497951 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #6020 on: June 21, 2022, 11:00:25 AM »
This might be the single most unexpected cover I've ever heard/seen (unfortunately, it cuts off towards the end).

https://youtu.be/X2Kk9OhYlW8
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6021 on: June 21, 2022, 11:18:00 AM »
This might be the single most unexpected cover I've ever heard/seen (unfortunately, it cuts off towards the end).

Three comments:
- the moment when the guitar player gently adjusts her hijab then rips into the intro is killer;
- the drummer is the epitome of compact, concise motion;
- it is stunning how much a young Indonesian woman and Geddy Lee sound alike.

There is a cover of "The Spirit Carries On" as well; she doesn't sound as much like James as she does Geddy.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6022 on: June 21, 2022, 12:35:22 PM »

Three comments:
- the moment when the guitar player gently adjusts her hijab then rips into the intro is killer;
- the drummer is the epitome of compact, concise motion;
- it is stunning how much a young Indonesian woman and Geddy Lee sound alike.

There is a cover of "The Spirit Carries On" as well; she doesn't sound as much like James as she does Geddy.
Yes, the vocals were my favorite part.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6023 on: June 21, 2022, 01:53:22 PM »
This probably doesn't matter to anyone, but I recently realized that New York Mets star Pete Alonso's walk-up song is Rush's "Working Man."

:metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6024 on: June 21, 2022, 02:17:42 PM »

Are these the sisters of the dudes in the Iron Maiden thread?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6025 on: June 21, 2022, 03:40:37 PM »

I thought something similar.  "Dude...our girlfriends are better than we are!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6026 on: June 22, 2022, 08:44:47 AM »

HAHAHA.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6027 on: June 22, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »
So Vapor Trails turns 20 years old this Saturday, the 14th.

I remember getting this album the year it came out, around the time I was graduating high school, and it got maximum play on my portable CD player (the old blue-topped Sony Walkman, the one with the 3 green circles and white bottom). My original CD is scratched and scuffed to heck and back, but I was absolutely in love with the album, just as my exploration of Rush was underway. For me, this album holds a special place in my heart as being a turning point album for me, both in my personal life and in my musical life. I'll always link VT with my discovery of Rush and prog in general, and at the time, some of the songs' lyrics really connected with me as well.

Little did we know that VT would be the first in a trio of final albums for the band as they came back in the 21st century following Neil's tragedies, and of those three, this album is almost my favorite (CA barely edges it out). What a statement for the band coming back after a 6 year break since Test For Echo, their longest gap between studio albums. Despite the rough and hot mix of the original release, the songwriting is pretty top notch across the album, and it still makes me sad that more of those songs didn't get played live over the course of the following 13 years until they stopped touring.

I'll have to give this one a spin this weekend in celebration of its 20th birthday! What does everyone else think about VT? What's your history with this album? Were you a Rush fan before it came out? As a fan who got into them just around the release of this album, it was just as much Rush as anything else they'd done up to that point, but I'd be curious to see what long-time Rush fans felt about VT when it came out, and if your thoughts on it have changed in the 20 years since!

-Marc.

Been trying to take this album out of my car CD player many times over the last two weeks but I haven't been able to do it.  Starting to think I love it more than Snakes And Arrows and Clockwork Angels. That BASS!!!!!! I really wish they played more of it live than they did....especially Peaceable Kingdom and Vapor Trail. What a gift those songs are! How is it possible to react to an album like this 20 YEARS after it's been released? It's crazy!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6028 on: June 22, 2022, 07:01:43 PM »
I was lucky to see the 1st show of the VT tour in Hartford.  It was an emotional experience.

In six days it will be 20 years, but it was really the last Friday in June. I'm going to go dig out my video for the weekend.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6029 on: June 22, 2022, 07:07:12 PM »

Ok. That wasn't on my bingo card for today.

I've heard/seen worse.

Online HOF

« Reply #6030 on: June 26, 2022, 02:51:36 PM »
This is pretty cool:

Google engineer identifies anonymous faces in WWII photos with AI facial recognition

https://www.timesofisrael.com/google-engineer-identifies-anonymous-faces-in-wwii-photos-with-ai-facial-recognition/

Can you tell us about some of the successes the platform has had so far?

We reached out to Geddy Lee, from Rush, with a photo we thought was of his mother. He was able to confirm this was indeed a photo of her at the displaced persons camp at Bergen-Belsen.

Geddy was then able to subsequently discover photos of his grandmother, uncles, an aunt and other extended family by browsing the Yad Vashem collection where the initial photo came from.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6031 on: June 26, 2022, 03:40:27 PM »
This is pretty cool:

Google engineer identifies anonymous faces in WWII photos with AI facial recognition

https://www.timesofisrael.com/google-engineer-identifies-anonymous-faces-in-wwii-photos-with-ai-facial-recognition/

Can you tell us about some of the successes the platform has had so far?

We reached out to Geddy Lee, from Rush, with a photo we thought was of his mother. He was able to confirm this was indeed a photo of her at the displaced persons camp at Bergen-Belsen.

Geddy was then able to subsequently discover photos of his grandmother, uncles, an aunt and other extended family by browsing the Yad Vashem collection where the initial photo came from.

Wow, that's pretty cool!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6032 on: June 26, 2022, 06:00:12 PM »
Whoa!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6033 on: July 02, 2022, 08:15:46 PM »
The title of that article is unintentionally comedic if read the wrong way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6034 on: July 28, 2022, 11:23:05 PM »
Happy Dirk Day! It's Geddy's birthday today!

What's everyone's favorite bass part in the Rush catalog? Off the top of my head, it has to be live versions of "By-Tor & The Snow Dog", even in the 21st century, Geddy just kills it during that middle section!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6035 on: July 29, 2022, 07:10:10 AM »
Prime Mover.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #6036 on: July 29, 2022, 07:20:18 AM »
Prime Mover.
nice lyrics by Neil on this one, although I love them all. My favourite bass parts by Geddy are (in no order) Vital Signs, Red Barchetta and Distant Early Warning, although again, I really like him as a bass player, so that doesn't have to mean much.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6037 on: July 29, 2022, 07:36:06 AM »
One of my favourite bass parts is the one in Xanadu (starts at 2:53). He tended to change it a bit during live performances though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DTA

« Reply #6038 on: July 29, 2022, 07:37:01 AM »
The verses of The Enemy Within just do it for me

Online HOF

« Reply #6039 on: July 29, 2022, 07:44:08 AM »
I love the bass line on Digital Man, so without a ton of thought that would probably get my nod. Although Analog Kid too… hmmm. So many to choose from though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6040 on: July 29, 2022, 10:05:09 AM »

What's everyone's favorite bass part in the Rush catalog? Off the top of my head, it has to be live versions of "By-Tor & The Snow Dog", even in the 21st century, Geddy just kills it during that middle section!

Without thinking too hard about it (because there are about 100 of them), I'm going with Digital Man.  He just rips that song up!  Damn...HOF beat me to it!

Prime Mover.

Ewww!

The verses of The Enemy Within just do it for me

Yup...very similar feel to Digital Man.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6041 on: July 29, 2022, 10:43:25 AM »
One of my fave bass lines from Ged is that part in Show Don't Tell where he is going off. It's closer to the tail end of the song. He's just playing this funky bass.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online nick_z

« Reply #6042 on: July 29, 2022, 12:17:55 PM »
To add one I haven't seen yet - Leave That Thing Alone.

I love how the bass is carrying that theme at the beginning, in a way that's rhythmic and melodic at the same time, while Alex's guitar does a subdued accompaniment.

And to stay on the same album, in a non-instrumental track: Animate. Nothing too crazy about the bassline, I just love what it does for the song.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6043 on: July 29, 2022, 12:27:05 PM »
I'm a bass player and Geddy's my favorite.  So many great bass parts hard to pick a favorite.  Some notables off the top of my head - Digital Man, Hemisphere's the song, La Villa, actually the whole Hemisphere's album (he slays it on Circumstances), the whole Power Windows album as well, now that I'm thinking in terms of albums.  Yes, Leave That Thing Alone, Where's My Thing and Malignant Narcissism are all great too.  Cinderella Man is another favorite.  So many great bass parts.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6044 on: July 29, 2022, 01:30:47 PM »
Does Geddy even have any bad bass lines?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6045 on: July 29, 2022, 02:13:18 PM »

He kinda phoned it in on Rivendell.

Seriously...bad?  No.  Losing It is kind of mundane, but the song is about so much else.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6046 on: July 29, 2022, 02:24:08 PM »

Seriously...bad?  No.  Losing It is kind of mundane, but the song is about so much else.

The guy is such a great player, and has such a great tone, that even the simple stuff always sounded so good.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6047 on: July 29, 2022, 05:26:12 PM »

Rivendell? Yeah, seriously, I don't think he plucked a single string in that entire song. :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6048 on: July 29, 2022, 07:05:02 PM »
Maybe one of the next countdowns should be "top 100 Geddy Lee bass lines."  :P :P

What's funny is, I am sure many of us could list 100.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6049 on: July 29, 2022, 07:22:27 PM »
Maybe one of the next countdowns should be "top 100 Geddy Lee bass lines."  :P :P

Let me guess...just '74-'84?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6050 on: August 05, 2022, 09:29:08 PM »

-Marc.

Guess I'll be that guy. Geddy's Birthday is July 29, Alex's is August 27 and Neil's was 9/12.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6051 on: August 11, 2022, 07:15:00 AM »
So…Geddy and Alex played together on stage for the first time since the last R40 show over 7 years ago.

They made a surprise appearance at the end of a South Park 25th anniversary show at Red Rocks and jammed along with Primus and Matt on drums playing Closer to the Heart.

https://youtu.be/j8On0tCuO9w
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6052 on: August 11, 2022, 08:08:16 AM »
So…Geddy and Alex played together on stage for the first time since the last R40 show over 7 years ago.

They made a surprise appearance at the end of a South Park 25th anniversary show at Red Rocks and jammed along with Primus and Matt on drums playing Closer to the Heart.

https://youtu.be/j8On0tCuO9w

Just saw this on Facebook.  What a blast to watch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline T-ski

« Reply #6053 on: August 11, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
I smiled so big watching that.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6054 on: August 11, 2022, 10:19:33 AM »
I'm not a big South Park fan, or Primus fan for that matter, but the idea of jamming onstage with your idols is universal.  That was amazing.

Geddy: "Thank you, eh!"