Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497945 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5950 on: April 18, 2022, 05:22:45 PM »
All I recall is that the back of the vinyls give two dates from the concerts, but from what I've gleaned, I'm not sure there's any indication as to which songs come from which nights, but the whole concert runs seamlessly. It really sounds like one whole complete concert.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5951 on: April 18, 2022, 05:23:44 PM »
OK, I'm gonna splurge then.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5952 on: April 18, 2022, 05:27:50 PM »
I didn't look, but is the 3CD/1BD artbook available outside of the Super Deluxe Limited Edition box set? If so, I would highly suggest getting that, as it contains some words/essays from various musicians who are fans of the band including Les Claypool and Taylor Hawkins.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #5953 on: April 18, 2022, 06:02:04 PM »
I didn't look, but is the 3CD/1BD artbook available outside of the Super Deluxe Limited Edition box set? If so, I would highly suggest getting that, as it contains some words/essays from various musicians who are fans of the band including Les Claypool and Taylor Hawkins.

-Marc.

The best I could figure was no so I just got the 3CD set. That will also have the words/essays from Les and Taylor and others. Presumably, just a CD booklet sized version of the artbook sans bluray.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #5954 on: April 18, 2022, 06:19:37 PM »
If that's the case, I'm considering buying it. $26 is steep, but I can swing it.

I wonder why the other anniversary shows don't include full shows. I want a full concert, not bits and pieces.

Not to nitpick, but as far as I know, the AFTK 40th Anniversary set had a full show. Same show as the 3rd disc of Different Stages but the whole thing. I wish they had done that for Hemispheres. Maybe somehow clean up the Tucson bootleg. But, oh well.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5955 on: April 18, 2022, 06:21:31 PM »
If that's the case, I'm considering buying it. $26 is steep, but I can swing it.

I wonder why the other anniversary shows don't include full shows. I want a full concert, not bits and pieces.

Not to nitpick, but as far as I know, the AFTK 40th Anniversary set had a full show. Same show as the 3rd disc of Different Stages but the whole thing.

Oh OK. That's interesting. I did not know that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5956 on: April 18, 2022, 06:23:08 PM »
All I recall is that the back of the vinyls give two dates from the concerts, but from what I've gleaned, I'm not sure there's any indication as to which songs come from which nights, but the whole concert runs seamlessly. It really sounds like one whole complete concert.

-Marc.
The most recent interview with Geddy and Alex with Strombo, Geddy mentioned it was a complete show from 1 night. He could have been mistaken, but as much as they oversee stuff like this, I doubt it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5957 on: April 18, 2022, 06:57:35 PM »

-Marc.
The most recent interview with Geddy and Alex with Strombo, Geddy mentioned it was a complete show from 1 night. He could have been mistaken, but as much as they oversee stuff like this, I doubt it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CceLi2ts_Ly/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This my IG Post of the vinyls of the live show from the box set. Both sleeves say March 24 & 25 1981, so I'm not sure what to believe!

-Marc.

Online nick_z

« Reply #5958 on: April 18, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »

-Marc.

This my IG Post of the vinyls of the live show from the box set. Both sleeves say March 24 & 25 1981, so I'm not sure what to believe!

-Marc.

Yeah, who knows  :)

This is the bit from the interview where Geddy talks about it:
https://youtu.be/-U0mnz__iUg?t=1076

Online nick_z

« Reply #5959 on: April 18, 2022, 07:11:43 PM »
OK, I'm gonna splurge then.

I might do that too...I listened to it and the band is positively on fire. Neil, in particular, is absolutely wild.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5960 on: April 18, 2022, 08:43:50 PM »

Not to nitpick, but as far as I know, the AFTK 40th Anniversary set had a full show. Same show as the 3rd disc of Different Stages but the whole thing.

Oh OK. That's interesting. I did not know that.

That is correct. Full show of what was the 3rd disc of Different Stages and it was mixed by Terry Brown. They also had Terry mix the show on the Moving Pictures set as well. I learned that from the interview.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5961 on: April 18, 2022, 09:11:12 PM »

-Marc.

-Marc.

Yeah, who knows  :)

This is the bit from the interview where Geddy talks about it:
https://youtu.be/-U0mnz__iUg?t=1076

From the album's liner notes:

40th Anniversary Credits
LIVE IN YYZ 1981
Recorded live at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, ON by Guy Charbonneau using Le Mobile Remote Recording March 24 & 25, 1981
Mixed by Terry Brown at Blue Sound & Music. Toronto, ON - December 2020 - February 2021
Technical Assistance: Russ Mackay
Previously Unreleased

Live in YYZ 1981 mastered by Peter Moore - 2021

So either Geddy is mistaken and confused the show as being from one venue rather than one singular night, or all of the album’s liner notes and credits are wrong.

I'll lean more towards the former. Two nights from the same venue we're recorded and they probably took the best of each song, or whichever sounded better from a recording standpoint.

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5962 on: April 18, 2022, 10:05:22 PM »
Anyone notice the brief “blink and you’ll miss it” miscue from Neil?  He comes in early on his cowbell run near the beginning of Xanadu. He immediately just starts back over again right on time so no one misses a beat. I actually found it a bit endearing. Like he was so good that even when he had a small slip he could pull out of it like nothing happened.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5963 on: April 18, 2022, 10:12:07 PM »
Anyone notice the brief “blink and you’ll miss it” miscue from Neil?  He comes in early on his cowbell run near the beginning of Xanadu. He immediately just starts back over again right on time so no one misses a beat. I actually found it a bit endearing. Like he was so good that even when he had a small slip he could pull out of it like nothing happened.

I did notice that actually, among many other unique things in this show, like the little ditty Alex plays at the beginning of "La Villa Strangiato", and how Neil's drum solo is just slightly different than the one on Exit...Stage Left. I'm on my 2nd spin of the concert/album in my car during my commutes to/from work, so I'm hoping to pick up on more things about the show.

-Marc.

Online nick_z

« Reply #5964 on: April 19, 2022, 06:07:59 AM »

40th Anniversary Credits
LIVE IN YYZ 1981
Recorded live at Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, ON by Guy Charbonneau using Le Mobile Remote Recording March 24 & 25, 1981
Mixed by Terry Brown at Blue Sound & Music. Toronto, ON - December 2020 - February 2021
Previously Unreleased

So either Geddy is mistaken and confused the show as being from one venue rather than one singular night, or all of the album’s liner notes and credits are wrong.

I'll lean more towards the former. Two nights from the same venue we're recorded and they probably took the best of each song, or whichever sounded better from a recording standpoint.

-Marc.

Yep, I think that's what it is. My guess is when he says "one night instead of a compilation", he means it in contrast to ESL (or Different Stages, for that matter), where songs were even from different tours...here it's the full setlist of that particular tour, from one venue.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. It's a fantastic live album!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5965 on: April 19, 2022, 06:27:40 AM »
I don't listen to Vapor Trails often, but I gave it a few listens over the past few days and enjoyed them quite a bit.  I am listening to the 2013 remaster (not the original or that dreadful 2013 remix).  Vapor Trail, Earthshine, Nocture and Freeze are all still killer tunes.  The aggressive ferocity of the record as a whole is pretty unique in their history.  :metal :metal

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5966 on: April 19, 2022, 07:04:07 AM »
VP's 2013 remaster is really interesting!! Sure the remix loose some ferocity from the original mix.

Abou the MP's 40th anniversary edition... this show is so good - amazing performances! Even being from 2 different nights, it has much more of a true live feel than ESL. Anybody knows if they are planning this kind of anniversary editions for Signals, GUP, PoW and HYF?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5967 on: April 19, 2022, 09:25:23 AM »
Abou the MP's 40th anniversary edition... this show is so good - amazing performances! Even being from 2 different nights, it has much more of a true live feel than ESL. Anybody knows if they are planning this kind of anniversary editions for Signals, GUP, PoW and HYF?

I *really* hope we get a Signals box set because getting a complete Signals Tour show in soundboard quality has been a Rush ROIO holy grail for me ever since I became a fan and hunted down the best sounding shows from each tour. To my knowledge, there aren't even any Signals Tour soundboard boots, let alone a complete soundboard, just tons of fairly good-sounding audience boots. If the band have a complete soundboard show from the Signals Tour, I'd love to get it! Same with the Power Windows Tour, though there are a couple of soundboards of that tour floating about, but none are complete.

-Marc.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #5968 on: April 19, 2022, 10:05:19 AM »
Totally this, since GUP and PoW tours have some really good soundboard bootlegs. Anyway, it would be really nice to have official re-releases from each 80's album/tour properly mixed, mastered and with extended artwork.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5969 on: April 19, 2022, 01:04:57 PM »

40th Anniversary Credits
LIVE IN YYZ 1981
Previously Unreleased

-Marc.

Yep, I think that's what it is. My guess is when he says "one night instead of a compilation", he means it in contrast to ESL (or Different Stages, for that matter), where songs were even from different tours...here it's the full setlist of that particular tour, from one venue.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. It's a fantastic live album!
I'm sure you're correct about this.  Too bad they didn't make just the live show available for purchase.  I really don't have a need for the other stuff and am not a serious "collector".

Offline Kram

« Reply #5970 on: April 19, 2022, 01:07:52 PM »
I don't listen to Vapor Trails often, but I gave it a few listens over the past few days and enjoyed them quite a bit.  I am listening to the 2013 remaster (not the original or that dreadful 2013 remix).  Vapor Trail, Earthshine, Nocture and Freeze are all still killer tunes.  The aggressive ferocity of the record as a whole is pretty unique in their history.  :metal :metal
Yes, Vapor Trails is pretty kick ass!  When Neil passed, I binged on Rush for a good 6 months.  And this album stood out the most as far as being "better than I remembered".  Far from my favorite of theirs, but it's quite good IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5971 on: April 19, 2022, 06:01:39 PM »
VP's 2013 remaster is really interesting!! Sure the remix loose some ferocity from the original mix.

Yep, the remix sounds far cleaner than the other versions, but it completely sucks the aggressive raw edge out of most of the songs, and that fury is a big part of what makes the album what it is.

Yes, Vapor Trails is pretty kick ass!  When Neil passed, I binged on Rush for a good 6 months.  And this album stood out the most as far as being "better than I remembered".  Far from my favorite of theirs, but it's quite good IMO.

Well said.  Not even close to being one of my favorites, but still an album that is "quite good" (I like that description).  :tup :tup

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5972 on: April 19, 2022, 07:05:31 PM »

I *really* hope we get a Signals box set because getting a complete Signals Tour show in soundboard quality has been a Rush ROIO holy grail for me ever since I became a fan and hunted down the best sounding shows from each tour. To my knowledge, there aren't even any Signals Tour soundboard boots, let alone a complete soundboard, just tons of fairly good-sounding audience boots. If the band have a complete soundboard show from the Signals Tour, I'd love to get it! Same with the Power Windows Tour, though there are a couple of soundboards of that tour floating about, but none are complete.

-Marc.
I have a bootleg from the Signals tour, but it's definitely not a soundboard recording. The quality is actually pretty poor. Would be nice if they dug up a soundboard from that tour and released it with the Signals 40th anniversary boxset.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5973 on: April 19, 2022, 07:20:47 PM »
I have a bootleg from the Signals tour. But I only listened to it once when I first got it and that was several years ago. I’ll have to dig it back out because I can’t remember what the quality was like. I seem to recall that it was a pretty decent audience recording.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5974 on: April 19, 2022, 07:59:54 PM »
I have a bootleg from the Signals tour. But I only listened to it once when I first got it and that was several years ago. I’ll have to dig it back out because I can’t remember what the quality was like. I seem to recall that it was a pretty decent audience recording.

Was it the Uniondale, NY show from 12/9/82? I've had that one for the longest time, titled "Music In The Abstract", it's one of the better complete audience boots.

-Marc.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5975 on: April 19, 2022, 10:20:49 PM »
Holy Smokes! Natural Science from the '81 show. Freaking awesome!

Got my set today and decided to just start with this track from the live set. Wow!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5976 on: April 19, 2022, 10:24:35 PM »

Was it the Uniondale, NY show from 12/9/82? I've had that one for the longest time, titled "Music In The Abstract", it's one of the better complete audience boots.

-Marc.

I’ll have to dig it out and see. I got it from Setlist Scotty, so I’m sure he’ll chime in soon.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5977 on: April 20, 2022, 05:27:38 AM »
I am listening to the 2013 remaster (not the original or that dreadful 2013 remix).

There's a remaster which is not a remix? I didn't know that existed. So in 2013 they did both, a remix AND a straight remaster of the 2002 release?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #5978 on: April 20, 2022, 05:56:12 AM »

I'm gonna say that "LIVE IN YYZ" is their best live album ever. So many great songs and performances.
That medley is the weirdest of theirs I've ever heard. I had to chuckle at Neil's count in for Trees... 4,5,6... He was always striving for perfection.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #5979 on: April 20, 2022, 07:09:35 AM »
I am listening to the 2013 remaster (not the original or that dreadful 2013 remix).

There's a remaster which is not a remix? I didn't know that existed. So in 2013 they did both, a remix AND a straight remaster of the 2002 release?

In fact, the remaster was released (on HDtracks) just 2 or 3 months before the remix. I remember that because I purchased it at the time, but I think, since the remix was released, the remaster wasn't avaible anymore - it was weird.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5980 on: April 20, 2022, 07:40:21 AM »

In fact, the remaster was released (on HDtracks) just 2 or 3 months before the remix. I remember that because I purchased it at the time, but I think, since the remix was released, the remaster wasn't avaible anymore - it was weird.

Yep. I also bought the remaster off of HD Tracks. It is far superior to the original and the remix. It was up there for some time but has been gone for a while now. I'm so glad I grabbed it when it was around.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5981 on: April 20, 2022, 10:36:54 AM »
Well crap.  I remember seeing the remaster on HD tracks back then, but I was still in my "must have physical media" mentality, and then the CD remaster came out not long after anyway, so I grabbed it.  Then we started hearing about how the CD remaster is also a remix and people noticing the differences.

On the plus side, I barely listened to the original release of Vapor Trails because the sound was so bad, so I'm not really familiar with it at all and don't notice the changes.  So the remastered CD works for me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5982 on: April 20, 2022, 10:39:58 AM »
I look at VT original / remix this way.

The original sounds so awful I cannot enjoy it or appreciate the music. It really doesn't matter what the remix loses because frankly, it makes it listenable. Hearing some songs live I had some appreciation for that album, but it wasn't until the remix I could truly sit back, enjoy it, and really come to appreciate some of the songs.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5983 on: April 20, 2022, 11:00:54 AM »
A lot later Rush is like that for me.  The albums are fine, but the live versions really kick ass.  I have most of their concert DVDs/Blu-rays, and I'm always blown away by how much I get into songs that I really didn't pay much attention to on the CD.  The live versions make me appreciate the songs more, and in turn I get more out of the studio albums.

Online faizoff

« Reply #5984 on: April 20, 2022, 11:30:17 AM »

Yep. I also bought the remaster off of HD Tracks. It is far superior to the original and the remix. It was up there for some time but has been gone for a while now. I'm so glad I grabbed it when it was around.

Was just going to say that I don't see it on HDtracks, I only see the remix on there.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan