Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497944 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5880 on: March 19, 2022, 02:46:09 AM »
I have been listening to Power Windows on my iPod (ALAC) for the last week, what an amazing album, both sound and production wise.
I am actually going to use the remastered CD as a reference when shopping for new floor speakers.
Funnily enough, I used to do this same thing. Only I would use the albums 2112, Moving Pictures, and Power Windows.

Also, I can save you some time on shopping for speakers. Get these https://www.leonspeakers.com/residential/series/timbre/tiseven-twr

Designing and Installing high end home theater systems and audio systems is what I do for a living.

They look nice I bet they sound great, but my budget is $2-3K AU.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5881 on: March 20, 2022, 08:52:44 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5882 on: March 20, 2022, 09:08:14 AM »
That had to cost him a pretty penny.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5883 on: March 20, 2022, 09:15:27 AM »
Nice! Is that the most expensive of the 3 models or the middle one? Either way, he dropped some serious cash on it. Would love to have one, but practicality and other factors say otherwise.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5884 on: March 20, 2022, 09:27:16 AM »

He paid the price but won’t count the cost.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5885 on: March 20, 2022, 10:15:20 AM »

He paid the price but won’t count the cost.

But you don't like that song.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5886 on: March 20, 2022, 12:03:21 PM »
Nice! Is that the most expensive of the 3 models or the middle one? Either way, he dropped some serious cash on it. Would love to have one, but practicality and other factors say otherwise.

Not sure, but knowing my buddy the way I do, it is probably one of the expensive ones.

I have no idea what he spent on it. I kind of casually asked, "How much did this thing cost?" (and I have known him 30+ years, so I had no qualms about asking), and his reply was, "A lot."  :lol :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5887 on: March 20, 2022, 12:29:05 PM »
Not sure, but knowing my buddy the way I do, it is probably one of the expensive ones.

I have no idea what he spent on it. I kind of casually asked, "How much did this thing cost?" (and I have known him 30+ years, so I had no qualms about asking), and his reply was, "A lot."  :lol :lol
I just went to the Stern Pinball website, and yeah, he got the top of the line model judging by the design of the sign above the LCD screen. The MSRP on that one is $11,099! But even the middle and "low" end models are far from cheap. Middle one is $8999 and the low end one is $6899.
https://sternpinball.com/game/rush/
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5888 on: March 20, 2022, 12:32:03 PM »
The low end one must just play music from Power Windows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5889 on: March 20, 2022, 12:36:15 PM »

I just went to the Stern Pinball website, and yeah, he got the top of the line model judging by the design of the sign above the LCD screen. The MSRP on that one is $11,099! But even the middle and "low" end models are far from cheap. Middle one is $8999 and the low end one is $6899.
I WANT THAT!! But I can't justify spending $6000+ on a pinball machine to my wife... :lol

:facepalm: :loser:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online pg1067

« Reply #5890 on: March 20, 2022, 12:47:54 PM »
Yeah, and while you're talking to pg, make sure you have a towel and some bleach.

:lol :lol

Well played, sir.

There's apparently a bar or something not far from my office that has one of these machines.  Need to go check it out.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5891 on: March 20, 2022, 04:54:28 PM »

:rollin
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5892 on: March 20, 2022, 05:00:08 PM »

I have to say, you rarely disappoint  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5893 on: March 20, 2022, 07:23:30 PM »

Sounds about right.  The friend who got it is the kind who wants the best, and he has kicked ass in the stock market in the last few years and retired at 54, so I am sure he had no problem dropping that kind of money on this.  I would never do it, even if I had that kind of money, but to each their own.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5894 on: March 21, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »
I dunno,  there's Big Money involved with that album..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5895 on: March 23, 2022, 08:59:37 PM »
Alex recently commented about Phil Collins singing with Genesis:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/alex_lifeson_shares_opinion_on_artists_who_refuse_to_retire_explains_why_rush_decided_to_call_it_a_day_even_though_they_could_have_continued.html

That's where your legacy is intact, and that's how people remember you. They remember you at that show where you played that song that they've listened to for 40 years, and it was the best version they've ever heard of that song, and that's what they're left with. They're sad that it's over but at least they have that memory. Unlike some artists who end up in a chair on a stage singing… I would never, ever, ever want to be like that. For what purpose? Is it money? Is it some egotistical drive? Get over it. Get over yourself. You know, it's just, I don't know… I'm just not like that.

Some commentary on a YouTube about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE9B_BkT6o

Pinball machine

https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/stern-rush-pinball/?fbclid=IwAR1pnoZmxZ0s02kXczB2cpnHTBGxycN8acjeSvZwvfDq1vJQqBL9oTNitRU

A buddy of mine bought one of them. I took this pic of it the other day at his house:

:metal :metal

I hope it was worth the money.

I could see 1 of those showing up on the Lisa Welchel MeTV show "Collectors Call." Which has been off the air for over a year, but returns again this upcoming Sunday.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5896 on: March 25, 2022, 10:42:04 AM »
So I get a text from my daughter, and it reads (this is cut and paste):

Im with [my boyfriend's] friends and they are playing a game where they play a song and you have to guess the name and who it’s buy So i had two turns and i had never heard the songs before but i got both artists: Rush and The Rolling Stones

I get it with the Stones, they are everywhere, she likes Harry Styles who LOVES the Stones, and I play them a lot. But while I've played her some Rush, especially the live Tom Sawyer with the drum solo, I'm still pretty impressed!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5897 on: March 25, 2022, 11:05:51 AM »
Kudos to your daughter!  Geddy has a pretty distinctive voice, but recognizing it and knowing that the band must be Rush still takes some brain cells if it's not in her regular wheelhouse, so good for her.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5898 on: March 25, 2022, 11:45:55 AM »
Kudos to your daughter!  Geddy has a pretty distinctive voice, but recognizing it and knowing that the band must be Rush still takes some brain cells if it's not in her regular wheelhouse, so good for her.

Well I asked her the song (she forgot; she's going to ask) and she said:  "If you really listen to the synth patterns, drum patterns and vocals it’s not hard" and she's pretty right.   Then again, she followed up with "That’s pretty baller", so...  :) :) :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5899 on: April 07, 2022, 09:31:37 AM »
Well, my Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe box set has shipped, or at very least the shipping label has been created. It's coming from VA, so I hopefully won't have to wait too long to get it!

Anyone else here take the plunge and order it too? Or am I the only one dumb enough to throw money at it?  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online pg1067

« Reply #5900 on: April 07, 2022, 09:44:35 AM »
Well, my Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe box set has shipped, or at very least the shipping label has been created. It's coming from VA, so I hopefully won't have to wait too long to get it!

Anyone else here take the plunge and order it too? Or am I the only one dumb enough to throw money at it?  :lol

-Marc.

I just ordered the 3-CD set.  I have no interest in paying a premium for vinyl that will just gather dust in order to get the trinkets.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5901 on: April 07, 2022, 10:56:00 PM »
https://youtu.be/xOZeYN1EsdI

The band have uploaded "Tom Sawyer" from the previously unreleased Live In YYZ 1981 live album. Cannot wait to finally hear a complete MP Tour show in stunning quality!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online pg1067

« Reply #5902 on: April 08, 2022, 10:02:49 AM »
https://youtu.be/xOZeYN1EsdI

The band have uploaded "Tom Sawyer" from the previously unreleased Live In YYZ 1981 live album. Cannot wait to finally hear a complete MP Tour show in stunning quality!

-Marc.

Awesome!  I just got the notification this morning that my 40th anniversary CDs have shipped.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5903 on: April 11, 2022, 06:33:33 PM »
Before Kev's Top 75 Rush songs project started, I had an idea to do a compilation album of the 7 songs from Power Windows that Rush played during their tours in the last 20 years. I hadn't really put much effort into the idea other than picking out the songs and sorting them into a folder, but after seeing how well the songs from the album did in the Top 75, I really wanted to start the project in earnest, so tonight I had some free time and I finally put together the compilation. With some careful editing and cross-fading of the tracks from three different tours, here's what I came up with:

Power Windows In The 21st Century - 43:19

01. The Big Money (2012) - 6:01
02. Grand Designs (2012) - 5:14
03. Manhattan Project (2012) - 5:13
04. Marathon (2010) - 6:31
05. Territories (2012) - 6:27
06. Middletown Dreams (2012) - 5:11
07. The Percussor (2012) - 3:10
08. Mystic Rhythms (2004) - 5:29

In lieu of "Emotion Detector" never being played, I figured I'd toss in Neil's electronic kit drum solo from the Clockwork Angels Tour as a substitute before closing the album. Also, I think the key that Neil's sounds are in is the same key that "Middletown Dreams" ends in, so it's a really nice segue. I couldn't be bothered to come up with a better/more clever name for this, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them!

I guess my love for the music of Power Windows has never really been a secret, but I'm glad I finally took on this project. It was fun to sort it all out and now I have this compilation burned on a CD-r for my listening pleasure. Thankfully, six of the tracks are all sourced from the same tour and live album release, so the sound quality is pretty consistent. I haven't had a chance to listen through the whole thing yet, but I think both "Marathon" and "Mystic Rhythms" sound fairly good next to the other tracks.

-Marc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5904 on: April 11, 2022, 06:37:29 PM »
I had just started a project too. It was called how many times can a stick a needle in my ear before I say ouch.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5905 on: April 11, 2022, 06:38:52 PM »
Pictures or it didn't happen Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5906 on: April 11, 2022, 06:40:49 PM »
It's classified.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5907 on: April 11, 2022, 06:41:21 PM »
I had just started a project too. It was called how many times can a stick a needle in my ear before I say ouch.

Not enough?

-Marc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5908 on: April 11, 2022, 06:44:50 PM »

Not enough?

-Marc.

It was a marathon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5909 on: April 11, 2022, 06:52:48 PM »
Marc, I got your title.

The Needle Project.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5910 on: April 11, 2022, 06:57:34 PM »
The Big Needle

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5911 on: April 11, 2022, 10:10:39 PM »
TAC's Favorite Rush Album seems like a good possibility.

Edit - I actually came up with a better name: Pneumatic Windows, especially given that six of the tracks were from the steampunk-y Clockwork Angels Tour, and one from the similarly-styled Time Machine Tour, the word just sort of works.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 12:37:28 AM by The Letter M »

Online pg1067

« Reply #5912 on: April 12, 2022, 10:10:41 AM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5913 on: April 12, 2022, 10:23:04 PM »
You know, as this banter goes on, it starts to feel more and more like an episode of Hey Arnold where Power Windows is Arnold, and Tim is Helga.

(TAC: “What’s Hey Arnold?”)  :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5914 on: April 13, 2022, 06:20:50 AM »
You know, as this banter goes on, it starts to feel more and more like an episode of Hey Arnold where Power Windows is Arnold, and Tim is Helga.

(TAC: “What’s Hey Arnold?”)  :rollin :rollin :rollin

What's Hey Arnold?

(I'm actually not kidding...)