Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497437 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5845 on: March 11, 2022, 07:48:43 PM »
Are you surprised that an animated video was released of a band missing their iconic drummer when a band is in retirement?  This release is on a studio album. Not a live album. Why is it so hard to understand you will not see old, live footage?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5846 on: March 11, 2022, 07:52:11 PM »
 :rollin

I must say that I was thinking the same thing. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5847 on: March 11, 2022, 08:41:57 PM »
Guys, are you surprised with Neil passed away that with a non live remaster that there will not be an old live cut video?

Makes no sense.

Huh?

Scotty was expecting something along the lines of the Tom Sawyer, Limelight and Vital Signs videos.  I was hoping for some live footage from the MP tour.  Neither of those things are made impossible by Neil's death.

Are you surprised that an animated video was released of a band missing their iconic drummer when a band is in retirement?  This release is on a studio album. Not a live album. Why is it so hard to understand you will not see old, live footage?

TONS of videos exist with the studio audio track combined with live video footage.  I don't find the animated video hard to understand, but I would have preferred something else.  Also, while the audio is from a studio album, this is part of an anniversary package that also includes live audio, so why not?  The video unquestionably exists (or existed).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #5848 on: March 11, 2022, 08:45:45 PM »
Are there other recent videos that include live footage? I'm assuming it was meant to be in the same vein as the video they did for The Spirit of Radio a little while back. I think it's a cool way to promote the legacy of the band and maybe introduce the music to a new generation of fans. There are plenty of videos of the band from that time period to go back and watch if that's what you want to see.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5849 on: March 11, 2022, 09:55:54 PM »
I liked the video.

It was neatly done with the artistic style. Although the color choices reminded me of Led Zeppelins Mothership artwork.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5850 on: March 12, 2022, 07:02:24 AM »
Pg, those videos are 40 plus years old. Rush is notorious for not having extras hang around. They just had a same style video that came out for the last remastered album, Permanent Waves.

It shouldn't be a surprise this is all they would do. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5851 on: March 12, 2022, 09:34:04 AM »
Pg, those videos are 40 plus years old. Rush is notorious for not having extras hang around. They just had a same style video that came out for the last remastered album, Permanent Waves.

pg1067 got it right - I was expecting a video for YYZ like Tom Sawyer, Vital Signs and Limelight. I know that Rush is notorious for not having extra stuff, but as is evident from recent history, they *are* going through their vault and unearthing all sorts of stuff, whether it be the live recordings that have appeared on each of the 40th anniversary releases or the videos that have appeared on Beyond the Lighted Stage and the bonus disc for the R40 video box set. Do you mean to tell me that they don't have any video footage of the other 4 MP songs? I find that hard to believe. Of course, whether it's quality or not, or whether they'd have enough to cut proper videos is a whole other question. But I don't think my expectation of an in-studio video for YYZ is that unrealistic or impossible from an outsider's viewpoint.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5852 on: March 12, 2022, 09:38:07 AM »
I bet they don't. Plus, the last video for Spirit of Radio was well received. That was for the release of Permanent Waves.  So I would think is wouldn't surprise anyone that they would release another cartoon video.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5853 on: March 12, 2022, 09:40:43 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5854 on: March 12, 2022, 09:43:10 AM »
I bet they don't. Plus, the last video for Spirit of Radio was well received. That was for the release of Permanent Waves.  So I would think is wouldn't surprise anyone that they would release another cartoon video.

Yeah, I don't remember this kind of discussion when TSOR animated video dropped in 2020.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5855 on: March 12, 2022, 09:44:22 AM »
Check this out though Scotty.

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2022/03/11/rush-limelight-live-soundcheck-2012/
Yeah, I've seen that before. Wasn't that a bonus track on the Clockwork Angels Tour video?

Would love to see what they could do with the old footage from the 70s and 80s, especially if they went back to the original negatives! I know it won't be as clear as this, but I'm sure it would be waaaaay better than what we currently have.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5856 on: March 12, 2022, 09:47:42 AM »
I would love that too. I just think they didn't have much back then except the live recordings.  I've loved the covers they've had from other bands. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5857 on: March 12, 2022, 09:51:02 AM »
I've loved the covers they've had from other bands.
Those can be interesting, but aside from DT and maybe one or two others, I listen to them once and that's enough. I'd rather they just give us full shows from each tour for every release. They didn't do that for Hemispheres or PeW - I hope they start a new trend with MP for all future re-releases!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5858 on: March 12, 2022, 09:52:30 AM »
Count me in as among those who weren’t expecting any “lost footage” type of thing. I only thought, “Oh! Just the Spirit of Radio video. Very cool.”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kram

« Reply #5859 on: March 12, 2022, 11:03:35 AM »

That footage is gold!!  With Geddy not singing most of the song, it really shows off just how incredible of players all 3 are/were!  I would love to see more of that soundcheck.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5860 on: March 12, 2022, 11:28:43 AM »

That footage is gold!!  With Geddy not singing most of the song, it really shows off just how incredible of players all 3 are/were!  I would love to see more of that soundcheck.

I discovered that yesterday too, and it's simply amazing! I also found a bootleg on YouTube of the last full rehearsal of the T4E tour, the night before the first show.  Geddy doesn't sing all the lines on that one either, and without the crowd noise, it's mind-blowing to realize how much noise three people are doing on stage.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5861 on: March 12, 2022, 11:33:12 AM »

I discovered that yesterday too, and it's simply amazing! I also found a bootleg on YouTube of the last full rehearsal of the T4E tour, the night before the first show.  Geddy doesn't sing all the lines on that one either, and without the crowd noise, it's mind-blowing to realize how much noise three people are doing on stage.
Is that bootleg audio only or is it a video bootleg?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5862 on: March 12, 2022, 02:37:14 PM »
Audio only,  unfortunately.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5863 on: March 12, 2022, 05:08:40 PM »

I didn't say I was surprised.  Just a bit disappointed.  And yeah...it's not a bad video.

pg1067 got it right - I was expecting a video for YYZ like Tom Sawyer, Vital Signs and Limelight. I know that Rush is notorious for not having extra stuff, but as is evident from recent history, they *are* going through their vault and unearthing all sorts of stuff, whether it be the live recordings that have appeared on each of the 40th anniversary releases or the videos that have appeared on Beyond the Lighted Stage and the bonus disc for the R40 video box set. Do you mean to tell me that they don't have any video footage of the other 4 MP songs? I find that hard to believe. Of course, whether it's quality or not, or whether they'd have enough to cut proper videos is a whole other question. But I don't think my expectation of an in-studio video for YYZ is that unrealistic or impossible from an outsider's viewpoint.

They're notorious for CLAIMING not to have extra stuff and yet that's exactly what we've been getting, so I'm not really ascribing any credibility to the prior claims.  In particular, this relates to video footage of the Montreal shows that was used for the ESL video.  Compare the track list on the video to the set list from the songs.  I refuse to believe that they simply turned the cameras off for half the set.  They must have recorded the entire set.  So the only question that remains is whether the footage still exists.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5864 on: March 12, 2022, 05:47:37 PM »
It's probably the quality of that show that they don't want to release I'd guess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5865 on: March 13, 2022, 08:25:27 AM »
Hey, just read that Geddy & Alex are the voices of the cops in the new video.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5866 on: March 13, 2022, 08:34:18 AM »
Hey, just read that Geddy & Alex are the voices of the cops in the new video.

Saw that too in the credits of the video at the end. I had a feeling it was them when one spoke and it sounded like Alex.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5867 on: March 13, 2022, 03:32:14 PM »
My brother is a big fan of Rick Beato who is a musician/YT personality, and I think a few people here follow him on YouTube as well.

He just released a half hour break down video of Xanadu that I thought some of you might like.

https://youtu.be/0UeGt2DcPHk
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5868 on: March 14, 2022, 05:16:41 PM »
Came here to post that video. It's a really great video of one of my favrotie Rush songs.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5869 on: March 16, 2022, 09:24:47 AM »
Alex will auction off hundreds of items from his career, including over 60 vintage guitars, on May 22.

https://juliensauctions.com/about-auction?id=405
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5870 on: March 16, 2022, 10:12:50 AM »
Alex will auction off hundreds of items from his career, including over 60 vintage guitars, on May 22.

https://juliensauctions.com/about-auction?id=405

But to have the sort of money that these items - especially "Whitey" -- will garner.

Heck...it's $75 just to get the catalog!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5871 on: March 17, 2022, 04:22:30 PM »
Just checking in to say The Necromancer rocks  :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5872 on: March 17, 2022, 04:30:20 PM »
It does.  :metal

Great early epic.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #5873 on: March 18, 2022, 03:38:15 PM »
I have been listening to Power Windows on my iPod (ALAC) for the last week, what an amazing album, both sound and production wise.
I am actually going to use the remastered CD as a reference when shopping for new floor speakers.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5874 on: March 18, 2022, 03:43:08 PM »
I have been listening to Power Windows on my iPod (ALAC) for the last week, what an amazing album, both sound and production wise.
I am actually going to use the remastered CD as a reference when shopping for new floor speakers.

:tup

Well, you should join the discussion in the Rush countdown thread, and spread some more Power Windows love there as well!  :biggrin:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5875 on: March 18, 2022, 07:45:27 PM »

:tup

Well, you should join the discussion in the Rush countdown thread, and spread some more Power Windows love there as well!  :biggrin:
And make sure to tell TAC and PG they are objectively wrong about Power Windows!  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5876 on: March 18, 2022, 07:46:32 PM »
Yeah, and while you're talking to pg, make sure you have a towel and some bleach.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5877 on: March 18, 2022, 07:49:57 PM »
Funnily enough, I used to do this same thing. Only I would use the albums 2112, Moving Pictures, and Power Windows.

Also, I can save you some time on shopping for speakers. Get these https://www.leonspeakers.com/residential/series/timbre/tiseven-twr

Designing and Installing high end home theater systems and audio systems is what I do for a living.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5878 on: March 18, 2022, 07:51:47 PM »
Only 15K?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5879 on: March 18, 2022, 07:53:40 PM »
Only 15K?
Believe it or not, but that is fairly inexpensive when it comes to high end speakers.
aka Puppies_On_Acid