Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497675 times)

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline HOF

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5810 on: February 15, 2022, 12:17:38 PM »
Kip Winger - The Spirit of Radio  :metal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta68ws3CVSo

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5811 on: February 15, 2022, 12:32:12 PM »
Actually underneath the solos of Grand Designs, Emotion Detector and Marathon, Neil and Geddy are running a completely different game, and they all sound incredible!

Yep! The instrumental sections on Power Windows are amazing. Main reason why I consider it to be one of Rush’s most progressive albums of the 80s (maybe their last really progressive album until Clockwork Angels).

Going back to Middletown Dreams, that baseline near the end is just masterful.

...and Peart's drumwork with it. Man, those fills, they just fit so well.

If I'm honest, everything about this song is masterful. Lifeson's guitars ramping up the intensity on the second verse, along with the rhythm section, then the brilliant "middle-aged Madonna" bridge leading into to the beautiful second chorus...so, so good.

I'm listening to it now, and it's goosebumps, as usual.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5812 on: February 15, 2022, 12:35:57 PM »
Anybody notice the insanity of the bassline during the guitar solo in Emotion Detector??
As a bass player, yes, for sure!  PW is one of Geddy's best overall bass performances for an entire album IMO.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5813 on: February 15, 2022, 12:37:51 PM »
I've heard that. :lol

Fates Warning cover of Closer to the Heart is great as well.

It's one of the only good songs on that mostly brutally awful Working Man - A Tribute to Rush album (Mission is the other).  Whoever the guy was who "sang" Natural Science should be whipped repeatedly with a Red Vine and never allowed anywhere near a microphone.  Dude absolutely ruined a top-5 Rush song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5814 on: February 15, 2022, 12:43:46 PM »

It's one of the only good songs on that mostly brutally awful Working Man - A Tribute to Rush album (Mission is the other).  Whoever the guy was who "sang" Natural Science should be whipped repeatedly with a Red Vine and never allowed anywhere near a microphone.  Dude absolutely ruined a top-5 Rush song.

I believe that was Devin Townsend? I haven't listened to that tribute in a while...

But I agree Fates Warning's cover of Closer to the Heart was lovely

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5815 on: February 15, 2022, 12:49:27 PM »

Yeah like nick_z said it was Devin Townsend.  He definitely is an acquired taste.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5816 on: February 15, 2022, 12:53:07 PM »

I believe that was Devin Townsend? I haven't listened to that tribute in a while...

But I agree Fates Warning's cover of Closer to the Heart was lovely

Checks Wikipedia....yup...he was the culprit.

The cover of Red Barchetta with JLB wasn't too bad, but my overall opinion of that album was that it was a bunch of guys who "got together" (although it sounds a lot like they were never in the same room at the same time) to play Rush songs with a ton of precision but virtually zero feel.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5817 on: February 15, 2022, 01:09:33 PM »

And

Wait, though, he said "Top 5 Rush Song"; that can't be Natural science, can it?  :) :) :)

(Song didn't make my top 50).

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5818 on: February 15, 2022, 01:18:04 PM »

Wait, though, he said "Top 5 Rush Song"; that can't be Natural science, can it?  :) :) :)

Wow, really? I won't reveal where it sits for me but, um, saying top 50 would be an understatement to say the least  ;D

Why not a big fan of Natural Science, if I may ask?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5819 on: February 15, 2022, 01:22:38 PM »

I believe Stads is another person who should be whipped repeatedly with a Red Vine. How could that song not at least make your top 50 if not your top 20!?!? What's wrong with you?!  :-*
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5820 on: February 15, 2022, 01:29:29 PM »

Wow, really? I won't reveal where it sits for me but, um, saying top 50 would be an understatement to say the least  ;D

Why not a big fan of Natural Science, if I may ask?

I think it's a matter of being surrounded by so much better.  I'm not the hugest fan of Permanent Waves, in general.  From AFTK through Signals, it's the weakest, IMO.  I'd rather listen to The Camera Eye, or Xanadu, or Jacob's Ladder.  It's just a bit disjointed for me; the melodies don't grab me, and the sound effects seem dated to me.  Another in that same vein didn't even make the Top 75, and I'm going to take shit for that one too (though, funny enough, I'm listening to both right now and I want to switch them!  :) ).

EDIT:  Yeah, first real regret of this whole process.  If I was to do it again, Natural Science wouldn't make the top 75 and a song I left off *barely* would take its place.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5821 on: February 15, 2022, 01:56:57 PM »

I believe Stads is another person who should be whipped repeatedly with a Red Vine. How could that song not at least make your top 50 if not your top 20!?!? What's wrong with you?! :-*

EDIT:  Yeah, first real regret of this whole process.  If I was to do it again, Natural Science wouldn't make the top 75 and a song I left off *barely* would take its place.

HA! This is getting even worse!  :biggrin:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5822 on: February 15, 2022, 02:30:38 PM »
I think in Stads case, he's living in the sea (of other Rush songs)  and soon forgets about the pool..  A quantum leap backwards I tell ya!  🤪

Natural Science =  :metal
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 03:28:11 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5823 on: February 15, 2022, 02:36:01 PM »

I think it's a matter of being surrounded by so much better.  I'm not the hugest fan of Permanent Waves, in general.  From AFTK through Signals, it's the weakest, IMO.  I'd rather listen to The Camera Eye, or Xanadu, or Jacob's Ladder.  It's just a bit disjointed for me; the melodies don't grab me, and the sound effects seem dated to me.  Another in that same vein didn't even make the Top 75, and I'm going to take shit for that one too (though, funny enough, I'm listening to both right now and I want to switch them!  :) ).

I'm trying to figure out what that one could be...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5824 on: February 15, 2022, 03:14:14 PM »

That was the best cover off that tribute album by far.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5825 on: February 15, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »

I believe Stads is another person who should be whipped repeatedly with a Red Vine. How could that song not at least make your top 50 if not your top 20!?!? What's wrong with you?!  :-*

NS is #2, and every song on PEW is in my top 50.

Based on Kev's comments in the ranking thread, I'm guessing it might be Closer to the Heart, which also just missed my top 75.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5826 on: February 15, 2022, 03:18:31 PM »

Based on Kev's comments in the ranking thread, I'm guessing it might be Closer to the Heart, which also just missed my top 75.

Closer to the Heart is my highest rated track of the 70s.

Not sure what other song Stadler is talking about, but his description of Natural Science is how I feel about Jacob’s Ladder.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5827 on: February 15, 2022, 03:20:59 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how all of these divergent opinions aggregate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5828 on: February 15, 2022, 03:23:01 PM »

Not only that, but also see how the lists comes out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5829 on: February 15, 2022, 03:28:13 PM »

Not sure what other song Stadler is talking about, but his description of Natural Science is how I feel about Jacob’s Ladder.

Cygnus X-1

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5830 on: February 15, 2022, 03:30:12 PM »

I think I'm Going Bald?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5831 on: February 15, 2022, 03:35:43 PM »
Kip Winger - The Spirit of Radio  :metal

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta68ws3CVSo

I have that covers album, it's wonderful.  Kip sounds amazing.  I love the interpretations too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5832 on: February 15, 2022, 03:57:10 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5833 on: February 15, 2022, 04:03:20 PM »

Cygnus X-1

Yes, I was thinking that, since you said "in the same vein" - which I took as meaning "longer, multi-part song"...

Well... that, too, is very high on my list...

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5834 on: February 15, 2022, 04:19:35 PM »
Given all the differing opinions on the various Rush albums, it's going to end up being a 75 way tie for first  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline HOF

« Reply #5835 on: February 15, 2022, 05:33:21 PM »

Cygnus X-1

Ah, yeah that’s one I’ve definitely never been able to latch onto at all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5836 on: February 15, 2022, 07:31:17 PM »

Not sure you are the person to go there. ;) Not after the big dog you left off of your DT list. :P

Offline HOF

« Reply #5837 on: March 11, 2022, 02:06:27 PM »
New official animated video for YYZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVTWDrtrlc

A lot going on here!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5838 on: March 11, 2022, 03:08:19 PM »

Not sure you are the person to go there. ;) Not after the big dog you left off of your DT list. :P
LOL! Which one? TSCO or AIA or another one? Natural Science is Rush's Learning to Live! Big difference!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5839 on: March 11, 2022, 03:32:14 PM »

A lot going on here!

People on Facebook and Reddit seem to LOVE this video.  I think it's just ok (despite all of the little "Easter eggs").  I'd rather have contemporaneous live footage.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5840 on: March 11, 2022, 03:37:27 PM »

A lot going on here!

People on Facebook and Reddit seem to LOVE this video.  I think it's just ok (despite all of the little "Easter eggs").  I'd rather have contemporaneous live footage.

Contemporaneous would be different, since Rush is no more. I love this video!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5841 on: March 11, 2022, 05:57:24 PM »

A lot going on here!
I'm with you - video's fine, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again. For some reason, I was under the impression it was gonna be another in-studio video like they had for some of the other tracks. Guess I must've gotten it mixed up with another one. That would've been far more interesting to watch, IMO.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5842 on: March 11, 2022, 06:37:49 PM »
Guys, are you surprised with Neil passed away that with a non live remaster that there will not be an old live cut video?

Makes no sense.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5843 on: March 11, 2022, 06:39:24 PM »
I thought the video was entertaining.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5844 on: March 11, 2022, 07:32:26 PM »
Guys, are you surprised with Neil passed away that with a non live remaster that there will not be an old live cut video?

Makes no sense.