Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497879 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5775 on: February 14, 2022, 11:21:56 AM »
All of Power Windows has great lyrics.  Marathon, Manhattan Project,  Middletown Dreams are good too.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5776 on: February 14, 2022, 12:18:28 PM »
All of Power Windows has great lyrics.  Marathon, Manhattan Project,  Middletown Dreams are good too.

Too bad the music isn't particularly good (although those are my three favorite songs on the album).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5777 on: February 14, 2022, 12:55:36 PM »

Too bad the music isn't particularly good (although those are my three favorite songs on the album).

I think the music on Power Windows is absolutely stellar, but I will say this: it's the Rush album that sound the most dated, purely because synths were VERY prominent at the time, and this album has those in-your-face synth sounds. But the versions of these songs that they played in subsequent tours - Big Money on the VT Tour, Marathon on the Time Machine, and many others on the Clockwork Angels Tour - are insanely heavy, with the guitars in the forefront. I love those versions!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5778 on: February 14, 2022, 01:00:22 PM »

I think the music on Power Windows is absolutely stellar, but I will say this: it's the Rush album that sound the most dated, purely because synths were VERY prominent at the time, and this album has those in-your-face synth sounds. But the versions of these songs that they played in subsequent tours - Big Money on the VT Tour, Marathon on the Time Machine, and many others on the Clockwork Angels Tour - are insanely heavy, with the guitars in the forefront. I love those versions!

I've always loved Marathon.  TBM much less so.  I think the song that best illustrates the instrumentation issues with the synth era songs is The Body Electric.  I really cannot stand it, but a band called YYNOT does a version that absolutely rocks.  Very up front guitar, heavy acoustic drums, and ballsy Fender Jazz bass.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5779 on: February 14, 2022, 01:49:05 PM »
Never been a fan of The Big Money. Marathon is OK, but had I not experienced seeing it live with the great video effects, I'd feel a lot worse about it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5780 on: February 14, 2022, 03:03:39 PM »
Never been a fan of The Big Money.
Me neither, altho I just love Alex's solo in that song.

But Marathon and Territories are two of my favorite songs from the Rush catalog, and I like just about everything else on PoW. Only 2 of them didn't make my top 75 - at least preliminary - might do a second job ranking everything if I have the time.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5781 on: February 14, 2022, 03:09:37 PM »
I have PW on the car today.  The lyrics for Middletown Dreams are simply incredible.  What a song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online HOF

« Reply #5782 on: February 14, 2022, 03:34:44 PM »

Power Windows is definitely of its time, but it’s so well done that it doesn’t at all seem dated to me. HYF on the other hand does. Can’t really explain it, but I just think the songs and the production were just that much higher quality on PW.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 04:29:29 PM by HOF »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5783 on: February 14, 2022, 03:36:55 PM »
Power Windows is vibrant and uplifting in its style of music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5784 on: February 14, 2022, 03:39:24 PM »
Power Windows is vibrant and uplifting in its style of music.

It's amazing.  Only a fool would dislike this album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5785 on: February 14, 2022, 03:55:55 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5786 on: February 14, 2022, 04:09:50 PM »
Tim appears.  It works both ways by the looks.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5787 on: February 14, 2022, 04:47:34 PM »
Hahaha!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5788 on: February 14, 2022, 05:43:40 PM »

Power Windows is definitely of its time, but it’s so well done that it doesn’t at all seem dated to me. HYF on the other hand does. Can’t really explain it, but I just think the songs and the production were just that much higher quality on PW.

Completely agree on the PoW HYF comparison. There are a lot of synths in Power Windows, but the guitars are still prominent. Just very “bright” sounding. I think HYF is much more guilty of the “Great Wall of synthesizers” sound, and therefore sounds more dated than its predecessor.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5789 on: February 14, 2022, 06:21:08 PM »

Completely agree on the PoW HYF comparison. There are a lot of synths in Power Windows, but the guitars are still prominent. Just very “bright” sounding. I think HYF is much more guilty of the “Great Wall of synthesizers” sound, and therefore sounds more dated than its predecessor.
I think the problem with HYF is the guitars are too bright. Even brighter sounding that on PoW. So they get buried in with the synths. And sometimes even sound like synths.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5790 on: February 15, 2022, 12:57:08 AM »
One of my favorite songs of all time is from HYF.  Time Stand Still is.....(drum roll).......Timeless! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5791 on: February 15, 2022, 01:01:14 AM »
For a long time I had Marathon in my Top 5 of Rush songs (it's still in my Top 10). Such an uplifting song and message. The version on A Show Of Hands is even better, that glorious outro is a bit longer there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5792 on: February 15, 2022, 04:03:00 AM »
Had A Show of Hands going this arvo in the car.  I can't remember ever really listening to this live album to be brutally honest even though the CD has been there for years.  It's fucking brilliant.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5793 on: February 15, 2022, 04:05:44 AM »
Had A Show of Hands going this arvo in the car.  I can't remember ever really listening to this live album to be brutally honest even though the CD has been there for years.  It's fucking brilliant.

It’s excellent for sure. Just played it last week at work.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5794 on: February 15, 2022, 04:12:21 AM »

I love how pigeon holed it is around those specific few albums.  Reminds me what Helloween did with High Live.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5795 on: February 15, 2022, 07:46:12 AM »

I think the problem with HYF is the guitars are too bright. Even brighter sounding that on PoW. So they get buried in with the synths. And sometimes even sound like synths.

But to me, the SONGS are better on HYF.   My top 75 has 3 (out of 8) songs from Power Windows and 7 (out of 10) for Hold Your Fire.  I just find myself humming the melodies for "Second Nature" or "Mission" or "Prime Mover" more often than I do anything other than "Manhattan Project" from PW.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5796 on: February 15, 2022, 08:02:01 AM »
I have PW on the car today.  The lyrics for Middletown Dreams are simply incredible.  What a song.

Yes, yes, yes. I love that song.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5797 on: February 15, 2022, 08:17:12 AM »
Anybody notice the insanity of the bassline during the guitar solo in Emotion Detector?? 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5798 on: February 15, 2022, 08:32:42 AM »
Anybody notice the insanity of the bassline during the guitar solo in Emotion Detector??

Absolutely!

Online HOF

« Reply #5799 on: February 15, 2022, 08:51:22 AM »

Yep. It’s an amazing song all around. The instrumental section rips.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5800 on: February 15, 2022, 09:01:54 AM »
Actually underneath the solos of Grand Designs, Emotion Detector and Marathon, Neil and Geddy are running a completely different game, and they all sound incredible!

Online HOF

« Reply #5801 on: February 15, 2022, 09:13:32 AM »
Actually underneath the solos of Grand Designs, Emotion Detector and Marathon, Neil and Geddy are running a completely different game, and they all sound incredible!

Yep! The instrumental sections on Power Windows are amazing. Main reason why I consider it to be one of Rush’s most progressive albums of the 80s (maybe their last really progressive album until Clockwork Angels).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5802 on: February 15, 2022, 09:57:07 AM »
I love how pigeon holed it is around those specific few albums.  Reminds me what Helloween did with High Live.
That's the way Rush did it in the 70s and 80s. AtWaS and ESL were the same way, altho I grant you AtWaS their first live album and they only had 4 studio albums at that point. But that was their MO. It wasn't until the 90s when 2CD sets became more common place that they finally started including a lot of songs from outside the 4 latest studio albums and included several songs that had previously appeared on other live albums.

Yep. It’s an amazing song all around. The instrumental section rips.
I agree - one of my favorites from that album. Shame it's the only one that never was played live.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5803 on: February 15, 2022, 10:13:55 AM »

Man am I at the other end of the spectrum on this.  ASOH is, without question, the worst live album Rush ever did.  Two-thirds of the track list is songs that are just meh....  In some fairness, I doubt I've listened to the actual album in 30 years.  I have, however, watched the DVD (and before it, the VHS) every now and then, and it has a slightly better track list.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5804 on: February 15, 2022, 10:48:56 AM »
I wonder why in the world they didn't include Time Stand Still in the live VHS/dvd ??  :mehlin
They included it on the audio version and it sounds great.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5805 on: February 15, 2022, 11:04:46 AM »
That's the way Rush did it in the 70s and 80s. AtWaS and ESL were the same way, altho I grant you AtWaS their first live album and they only had 4 studio albums at that point. But that was their MO. It wasn't until the 90s when 2CD sets became more common place that they finally started including a lot of songs from outside the 4 latest studio albums and included several songs that had previously appeared on other live albums.

Kiss did the same thing; actually there were a fair number of similarities between Kiss and Rush in the early days.

I loved when we started to get the full shows from Rush. That's where my love for their live work really takes off.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5806 on: February 15, 2022, 12:06:20 PM »
I've been listening to Rush covers of late.  I love Kyros versions of Force Ten & Leave That Thing Alone and Allegaeon's version of Subdivisions.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5807 on: February 15, 2022, 12:06:37 PM »

Yep! The instrumental sections on Power Windows are amazing. Main reason why I consider it to be one of Rush’s most progressive albums of the 80s (maybe their last really progressive album until Clockwork Angels).

Going back to Middletown Dreams, that baseline near the end is just masterful.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5808 on: February 15, 2022, 12:07:25 PM »
I've been listening to Rush covers of late.  I love Kyros versions of Force Ten & Leave That Thing Alone and Allegaeon's version of Subdivisions.

I challenge people to check out Omnium Gatherums cover of Subdivisions.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5809 on: February 15, 2022, 12:10:35 PM »
I've heard that. :lol

Fates Warning cover of Closer to the Heart is great as well.