Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497559 times)

Offline Kram

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5740 on: February 11, 2022, 12:38:05 PM »
It figures.  If they really truly were doing this "for the fans" there would be a version with everything but the vinyl, because they know damned well that that would be the most popular version.  Instead, the only way to get the Blu-ray is to spend $300 for the super-deluxe version, so it's clearly "for the money".  The very definition of a cash grab.  Fuck that.  I've got my 5.1 Blu-ray from a few years back, and I'll have to live without the concert vid.

Let's inventory the options:

1. A version that's just vinyl (nothing extra) and which is already sold out.  Who cares?

2. A version that is just vinyl with a gatefold jacket and "1 of 6 Neil Peart hand drawn lyric sheets (randomly inserted, so customer will not know which one [he or she] will receive)" for $40.

3. A 3-CD version with the original album and the complete live show and a big booklet for $28.

4. A 5-LP version with the original album and the complete live show with presumably the same booklet as the 3-CD version but larger for...$98?!  For vinyl?  Bwahaha!!

5. The "super deluxe version," which combines the 3-CD and 5-LP versions (because folks need both?) and includes:
    - A hardcover book version of the booklet.
    - A toy car.
    - A couple of drumsticks.
    - A couple of guitar picks.
    - A replica program.
    - A pin.
    - "30 lenticular 'Moving Pictures' motion litho" (I have no idea what that means).
    - A concert poster.
    - A replica ticket.
    - Another poster.
    - A YYZ luggage tag.
    - A replica backstage pass (I think?).
    - All six replica lyrics sheets.
    - A snazzy box.
    - A blue ray with the three existing videos from MP plus a new one for YYZ and whatever a "Dolby Atmos & new 5.1 surround album mix" is.
    - A $290 price tag.

The replica lyric sheets would be cool (and they can be purchased separately for $50!) and maybe a couple of the trinkets would be nice, but there's really nothing there that interests me beyond the 3-CD set.  I've been saying it as long as these have been getting released, but I can't comprehend why they don't make a "super deluxe version" that doesn't include vinyl.  I MIGHT pull the trigger on something like that (depending on the price), and I think a lot of others would spend more than the $28 for the CD-only version, but the market for that $290 version is going to be INCREDIBLY limited.  If they really want to do a cash grab, their strategy of not including a product with a mid-tier price point is hard to understand.

As far as video, I'm still hoping there will be a 40th-anniversary set for ESL that includes video.  Of course, I'm sure they'll make me buy vinyl to get it, but I might do it for that.
Thanks for breaking this out like this.  Option 3 for me, as I really just want the audio of the unreleased live show.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5741 on: February 11, 2022, 12:57:49 PM »
It would be a cool box set fo have, but I have allready spent a ton of money on Rush over the years.  🤑🤑🤑
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5742 on: February 11, 2022, 01:16:21 PM »

1. A version that's just vinyl (nothing extra) and which is already sold out.  Who cares?

2. A version that is just vinyl with a gatefold jacket and "1 of 6 Neil Peart hand drawn lyric sheets (randomly inserted, so customer will not know which one [he or she] will receive)" for $40.

3. A 3-CD version with the original album and the complete live show and a big booklet for $28.

4. A 5-LP version with the original album and the complete live show with presumably the same booklet as the 3-CD version but larger for...$98?!  For vinyl?  Bwahaha!!

5. The "super deluxe version," which combines the 3-CD and 5-LP versions (because folks need both?) and includes:
    - A toy car.
    - A replica program.
    - A pin.
    - "30 lenticular 'Moving Pictures' motion litho" (I have no idea what that means).
    - A concert poster.
    - A replica ticket.
    - Another poster.
    - A YYZ luggage tag.
    - A snazzy box.
    - A blue ray with the three existing videos from MP plus a new one for YYZ and whatever a "Dolby Atmos & new 5.1 surround album mix" is.
    - A $290 price tag.

Holy Shit! A fucking TOY CAR???

Whoot.. honey, get me the check book!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5743 on: February 11, 2022, 01:19:08 PM »
True.  They're marketing it to middle-aged boys/men with way too much disposable income.
And way too little space to display trinkets.

I feel attacked, but you know what, I'm fine with that. The other box set I own (AFTK) I received as a Christmas gift, so I'm just sort of spoiling myself on this one anyway. If I can, I'll probably try and get some frames/shadowboxes to display some of the included things.

I'm also just a sucker for really well put-together deluxe box sets, but only whe I can afford them, and yeah, I've already filed my taxes and am getting a sizable refund this month, so I'm splurging on this. Rush has been my favorite band for nearly two decades now, so why not go all in on something like this, especially for an album like Moving Pictures. I feel no shame, but you're both definitely right about the target audience for the super deluxe box set, and all similar box sets from any band/artist.

-Marc.

It wasn't meant as an attack.  I often forget to be considerate of those here on DTF who are in different positions from myself, financially, geographically, etc.  I wish I was in a financial position to buy some of these amazing boxes.  They're cool.  So I guess I respond by telling myself (and others) that these aren't for me, and protect myself by taking a jab at those who can actually afford them.  I mean, I could, but I could never justify it to myself.

But realistically, anyone can see that this is the very definition of a cash grab.  There is no reason not to make the Blu-ray available separately or in another package other than the very highest-priced one.  None.  So the bitterness and resent come out a bit sometimes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5744 on: February 11, 2022, 01:22:37 PM »
But realistically, anyone can see that this is the very definition of a cash grab.

Well of course, but that's all these legacy bands have at this point to make money. I mean, it's product for sure. Hell, it's even nice product. I'll buy the whatever version has the live album, what is that...the three CD version.

But I have zero use for drumsticks, guitar picks, a pin, and a toy car..even if it's a brilliant red barchetta.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5745 on: February 11, 2022, 01:52:24 PM »
But realistically, anyone can see that this is the very definition of a cash grab.

But I have zero use for drumsticks, guitar picks, a pin, and a toy car..even if it's a brilliant red barchetta.
Yeah but you gotta remember that it's from a better vanished time.. If they included the gleaming alloy aircar, I'd probably splurge..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5746 on: February 11, 2022, 02:06:04 PM »

Yeah but you gotta remember that it's from a better vanished time.. If they included the gleaming alloy aircar, I'd probably splurge..

Nice! :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5747 on: February 11, 2022, 02:10:02 PM »

Well of course, but that's all these legacy bands have at this point to make money.

I don't have a problem with legacy bands making money by digging up older stuff, cleaning it up, and selling it.  I don't consider that a cash grab.  There is demand, and they're meeting it.

The problem is not making it available in anything other than the most extensive package.  That's the difference between selling stuff your fans want and fleecing them.  They could release the Blu-ray separately or in one of the other packages, and still make money.  But no, they specifically create packages to try to force upsales.  They could've had some of my money, and I suspect the money of a lot of other people, by putting all the discs (CD and Blu-ray) in one package, without anything else.  That's all most of us want.  But instead, they get no money from me.  I know, I know, they're not crying about that.  But it still seems ill-advised to not offer an option that clearly will sell units.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5748 on: February 11, 2022, 02:11:46 PM »

The problem is not making it available in anything other than the most extensive package.  That's the difference between selling stuff your fans want and fleecing them.  They could release the Blu-ray separately or in one of the other packages, and still make money.  But no, they specifically create packages to try to force upsales. 

Oh OK. Gotcha! I agree too.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5749 on: February 11, 2022, 04:29:20 PM »

- A toy car.
    - A replica program.
    - A pin.
    - A concert poster.
    - A replica ticket.
    - Another poster.
    - A YYZ luggage tag.
    - A snazzy box.
    - A $290 price tag.

Holy Shit! A fucking TOY CAR???

Whoot.. honey, get me the check book!

:lol :lol

Obviously, I was being facetious.  It's "a Red Barchetta model car" on a plastic base...so you can't really play with it....

But it still seems ill-advised to not offer an option that clearly will sell units.

That's the thing.  I actually wouldn't mind having the swag from the Hemispheres "super deluxe edition."  But I have to buy a bunch of archaic media to get it.  And, as a result, I haven't yet bought ANY version of the Hemispheres 40th anniversary set.  If there were a "deluxe CD-only edition," I'd have bought that and they'd have my money.  With this release, if there were such an edition, I might drop the extra money.  They'll still get some of my money because I really want the live material, but they could have more.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5750 on: February 11, 2022, 04:58:00 PM »
I don't think the price is all that bad, considering all the stuff you get, but that's just me. I'm probably gonna pre-order it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5751 on: February 12, 2022, 09:06:38 PM »
Tim will be all over that toy car if it has power windows.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5752 on: February 12, 2022, 09:25:58 PM »

I'm rubbing my nipples with this joke.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5753 on: February 12, 2022, 11:34:16 PM »

The gauntlet has been dropped! Joke of the year, right there.

I have bought all of the super cash grab versions except for Permanent Waves. That's the first one where the price to product ratio did not make sense for me. I picked up the CD edition and I still plan on picking up the vinyl as well. Even then, that's like $100 less than the cost of the cash grab version. I did not see $100 worth of swag there.

Definitely not getting the cash grab version of MP either. Will do a CD/vinyl combo as well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5754 on: February 13, 2022, 10:39:34 AM »

I have bought all of the super cash grab versions except for Permanent Waves.

Definitely not getting the cash grab version of MP either. Will do a CD/vinyl combo as well.
I'm sure they were thinking about the Big Money for this release. 🤑🤑

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5755 on: February 13, 2022, 03:29:48 PM »

Gotta pay the Big Money for Grand Designs such as this.  It goes with the Territories.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5756 on: February 13, 2022, 03:35:39 PM »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5757 on: February 13, 2022, 03:36:39 PM »

Gotta pay the Big Money for Grand Designs such as this.  It goes with the Territories.
Hey, people have Freewill, and some make it their Mission in life to buy all things Rush. That's How It Is.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5758 on: February 13, 2022, 03:52:55 PM »

I never enter this thread.....but I came in just at the right time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5759 on: February 13, 2022, 03:53:49 PM »
It's awful, isn't it? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5760 on: February 13, 2022, 03:55:22 PM »
It's awful, isn't it? :lol

Tim's emotion detector is going haywire!  He'll feel like he's ran a marathon if he keeps that up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5761 on: February 13, 2022, 03:59:44 PM »
Better people, better food and better Tim!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5762 on: February 13, 2022, 06:08:07 PM »
Why move around to other threads in this forum when Eden is so near.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5763 on: February 13, 2022, 06:10:22 PM »
Er..ok, for that one, I'm going to need a footnote. :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #5764 on: February 13, 2022, 06:21:04 PM »

Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the General Music Chat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5765 on: February 13, 2022, 06:48:16 PM »

I liked this reference before it was cool.  :millahhhh
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5766 on: February 13, 2022, 06:49:19 PM »
But General Music Chat has always been cool.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5767 on: February 13, 2022, 07:50:51 PM »
They need the extra cash from these reissues, or else the banks will freeze their bank accounts a little bit longer.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5768 on: February 13, 2022, 08:11:05 PM »

It’s a great line.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5769 on: February 13, 2022, 08:56:11 PM »

It’s a great line.

His #1 all time finest IMHO. The entire song actually. EDIT - even the “better beer” line. The whole thing is absolutely brilliant. Possibly my favorite lyrics top to bottom in all rock history.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5770 on: February 13, 2022, 08:59:46 PM »
Yeah, it is hard to pick out a single Rush song as having my favorite lyrics, but Territories is in the conversation. Even though 2112 is my favorite song ever and I do like those lyrics a lot, I think Peart's lyrics in the 80s were a lot better than they were in the 70s.  He wrote some gems in the 70s, but some of those sci-fi and fantasy ones can be a bit hokey.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5771 on: February 14, 2022, 08:10:03 AM »
Yeah, it is hard to pick out a single Rush song as having my favorite lyrics, but Territories is in the conversation. Even though 2112 is my favorite song ever and I do like those lyrics a lot, I think Peart's lyrics in the 80s were a lot better than they were in the 70s.  He wrote some gems in the 70s, but some of those sci-fi and fantasy ones can be a bit hokey.

Emotion Detector for the win!!!!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5772 on: February 14, 2022, 08:12:29 AM »
Subdivisions is up there for me, great lyrics.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5773 on: February 14, 2022, 08:32:49 AM »

Emotion Detector for the win!!!!!

Very good call!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5774 on: February 14, 2022, 10:00:08 AM »
The Analog Kid.  That's me!