Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497416 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5705 on: January 15, 2022, 08:44:37 PM »
https://youtu.be/tZHAFiegO74

Just watched the Charismatic Voice do her first ever reaction/analysis to Rush with "The Spirit Of Radio". Some very interesting comments for her first time with the band! Leave it to her to make a 23-minute video out of a 5-minute song. :lol

-Marc.
I watched that. I have a hard time believing that she has never heard that song before.  I mean has she been living under a rock all her life??  The Spirit of Radio is pretty well known around the world.   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5706 on: January 15, 2022, 08:45:50 PM »
Probably not her style of music.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5707 on: January 15, 2022, 10:54:27 PM »
https://youtu.be/tZHAFiegO74

Just watched the Charismatic Voice do her first ever reaction/analysis to Rush with "The Spirit Of Radio". Some very interesting comments for her first time with the band! Leave it to her to make a 23-minute video out of a 5-minute song. :lol

-Marc.
I watched that. I have a hard time believing that she has never heard that song before.  I mean has she been living under a rock all her life??  The Spirit of Radio is pretty well known around the world.   :lol
She's been an opera singer her whole life. She spent most of her time traveling the world doing opera. She's also one of the most genuine people I've seen on Youtube. So I believe her when she says she hadn't heard the song before. Before doing the reaction videos she has been doing she never really listened to rock or metal music.

Having said all that, I hope she does a Tea Time interview with Geddy one of these days. She had James LaBrie on before, so it might be in the cards.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5708 on: January 17, 2022, 07:47:50 PM »
Not one of her better videos, IMO, but her reactions seemed genuine and honest.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5709 on: January 19, 2022, 06:03:17 PM »
Big Al posted another rant on Vimeo.

It’s nice to see him taking advantage of new technology. But sometimes I can’t tell his humor from his possible senility. LOL

https://vimeo.com/667999293
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #5710 on: February 08, 2022, 07:38:27 AM »
I initially didn’t watch this when it started making the rounds, but then I saw Alex’s tweet and had to check it out. The pure, unmitigated joy on her face while she is playing is absolutely priceless.

11 year-old drummer Nandi Bushell plays Tom Sawyer:

https://twitter.com/nandi_bushell/status/1490326645328261122?s=21

And Alex’s response:

https://twitter.com/rushtheband/status/1490742442726989825?s=21

Oh @Nandi_Bushell , you brought a tear to my eye with this tribute! Tom Sawyer is a difficult song to play drums to and you made it so much fun. Neil would have loved your performance and wonderful smile, as both Geddy and I do! - Alex

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5711 on: February 09, 2022, 06:33:25 AM »
I initially didn’t watch this when it started making the rounds, but then I saw Alex’s tweet and had to check it out. The pure, unmitigated joy on her face while she is playing is absolutely priceless.

And Alex’s response:

Oh @Nandi_Bushell , you brought a tear to my eye with this tribute! Tom Sawyer is a difficult song to play drums to and you made it so much fun. Neil would have loved your performance and wonderful smile, as both Geddy and I do! - Alex

I too watched that yesterday after Alex's reply, great to see that 11 year old play with such fun and joy.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DTA

« Reply #5712 on: February 09, 2022, 07:03:50 AM »

And Alex’s response:

That was great. She had a bit of push/pull with the tempo during some fills that actually felt really good dynamically.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5713 on: February 09, 2022, 10:09:50 AM »
Cool that he acknowledged her, but I guess I'm the curmudgeon that is so over the "__-year old plays ___ song!"  I keep waiting for "Fetus Plays Fill from Tom Sawyer on Mother's Uterus!"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #5714 on: February 09, 2022, 10:33:36 AM »
Cool that he acknowledged her, but I guess I'm the curmudgeon that is so over the "__-year old plays ___ song!"  I keep waiting for "Fetus Plays Fill from Tom Sawyer on Mother's Uterus!"

That’s why I ignored it at first, but if you haven’t watched it, this one is really worth your time (at least the shorter clip on Twitter). It’s more about her personality coming through in the performance than just a kid playing a complicated song.

I’ll also say, she’s already done some fairly high profile stuff (house drummer for Cartoon Network, jammed with Foo Fighters, etc.). So I think she has a pretty bright future if she wants to continue with music and is potentially more than a viral sensation.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 11:07:07 AM by HOF »

Offline Kram

« Reply #5715 on: February 09, 2022, 11:16:34 AM »

That’s why I ignored it at first, but if you haven’t watched it, this one is really worth your time (at least the shorter clip on Twitter). It’s more about her personality coming through in the performance than just a kid playing a complicated song.
Exactly.  It's not about her playing, but rather her good positive spirit and smile that comes through as she's playing.  That's the appeal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5716 on: February 09, 2022, 12:33:32 PM »
She looks like she's dressed for church.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5717 on: February 09, 2022, 12:51:19 PM »

Exactly.  It's not about her playing, but rather her good positive spirit and smile that comes through as she's playing.  That's the appeal.

I watched most of it (through triplet fills at the end of the verse after the guitar solo).  Still....

Offline DTA

« Reply #5718 on: February 10, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »
I really wish there was a full version of the GUP tour video. That's probably my favorite live album of theirs but it's missing a good portion of the standard GUP setlist. They have to have recorded the entire concert and then cut it down to fit on VHS or whatever.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5719 on: February 10, 2022, 01:33:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPPVioejBw

Totally worth watching it, and it got a nice comment from Lerxst.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5720 on: February 10, 2022, 01:35:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaPPVioejBw

Totally worth watching it, and it got a nice comment from Lerxst.

CHAD!?!  :facepalm:

This entire page has been discussing this video. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5721 on: February 11, 2022, 07:15:41 AM »
Following on from the 2112, AFTK, HEMI, and PEW 40th anniversary box sets, were there ever any plans for a Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary box set? Seems kind of odd that they would have skipped such a monumental album unless it seems like the previous four box sets were just not selling well enough to warrant a fifth one in a row.

Now I wonder if we'll ever get a Signals 40th Anniversary box set because I've been hoping for that one if it means they might be able to dig out a complete Signals Tour show to add to the box set since there are no full soundboard bootlegs from that tour in circulation (just some fairly good audience boots). I'm sure there's one or two in a "vault" somewhere by the band.

Do you think we're done seeing 40th Anniversary box sets?

-Marc.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/rush-announce-moving-pictures-40th-anniversary-box-set-for-april

Canadian trio Rush have announced a lavish 40th anniversary reissue for the band's eighth studio album, 1981's Moving Pictures, Moving Pictures-40th Anniversary which will be released through UMC on April 15. You can watch an unboxing video for the new reissue below.

Moving Pictures remains a pivotal album in the band's career, as they moved from the longer form music of their 70s releases through to a more streamlined yet still progressive sound for the 80s. In Tom Sawyer, Limelight and Vital Signs the band proved they could write intelligent yet catchy music that could be played on the radio, while Red Barchetta, the instrumental YYZ and Camera Eye, showed their prog inclinations alive and well.

The new super deluxe box set will feature three CDs, one Blu-ray Audio disc, and five high-quality 180-gram black vinyl LPs. The set encompasses the Abbey Road Mastering Studios 2015 remastered edition of the album for the first time on CD, along with two discs of previously unreleased and newly restored bonus live content newly mixed from the original analog live multi-tracks by Rush’s original producer, Terry Brown, featuring the band’s complete, unreleased Toronto concert from Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Ontario, on March 25, 1981.

A fourth bonus disc is a Blu-ray Audio disc with the core album newly mixed from the original multi-tracks in Dolby Atmos (a Rush catalog first!), Dolby TrueHD 5.1, and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound as done by noted producer/engineer Richard Chycki, alongside the previously available PCM Stereo mix. Also included on the Blu-ray are four bonus videos: a brand-new video for YYZ plus three remastered vintage promo videos for Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Vital Signs.

The Super Deluxe Edition of Moving Pictures-40th Anniversary will also feature a 44-page hardcover book with unreleased photos and new artwork by original album designer Hugh Syme, along with new illustrations for each song; extensive liner notes from famous fans such as Kim Thayil (Soundgarden), Les Claypool (Primus), Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters) andBill Kelliher (Mastodon); a Red Barchetta model car mounted on a black perch with an MP40 nameplate; two Neil Peart signature MP40 branded drumsticks; two metal-embossed guitar picks, one each with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson’s respective signatures engraved on them; a replica of the Moving Pictures 1981 official tour program; an MP40 logo enamel pin; a 3D lenticular 'Moving Pictures in motion' lithograph; an 18x24-inch Toronto 1981 concert poster; a replica concert ticket from the 1981 Maple Leaf Gardens show; a 12x36-inch Rush Through The Years 1973-1981 poster; a YYZ luggage tag; and a All Access World Tour ’81 insert.  All contents are housed in a premium lift-top box, which features movingly reimagined cover artwork by Hugh Syme.

Moving Pictures-40th Anniversary will also be available as a thee-CD deluxe edition, a five-LP Deluxe Edition, all of it housed in a slipcase including a single-pocket jacket for the remastered original Moving Pictures on LP 1, and two gatefold jackets for LPs 2-5 that comprise all 19 tracks from the complete, unreleased Live In YYZ 1981 concert, a one-LP eCommerce exclusive edition, featuring the first-ever half-speed DMM vinyl pressing. It comes newly wrapped in a limited-edition premium tip-on style gatefold jacket with printed sleeve, and each pressing comes with one of six randomly inserted Neil Peart hand-drawn lyrics sheets.

There will also be a Deluxe Digital Edition, features the original album and all 19 bonus live performances from Toronto, and is the digital equivalent to the three-CD Deluxe Edition, and a Dolby Atmos Digital Edition, is the digital equivalent of Richard Chycki’s masterful Atmos mix of all seven tracks from the original album.

Trailer for the set here -
https://youtu.be/8iGvEs4wOHQ

Well, it was inevitable. But getting the COMPLETE live show from Toronto makes this a MUST GET for me. I'm ecstatic that they're doing that for this set (and now I'm more mad that we couldn't get full live shows for the Hemispheres and Permanent Waves box sets).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 07:26:36 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5722 on: February 11, 2022, 07:25:46 AM »
Obviously a very big thumbs up for them doing this.  But hopefully there will be different versions of the box.  Five 180g LPs?  That's gonna drive the price even farther up.  I'd rather have a box with just the discs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5723 on: February 11, 2022, 07:46:34 AM »
So that's the show from Exit...Stage Left?

Also, what was the live b-side that came out that seems to have disappeared; will that (was that) ever released on CD?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5724 on: February 11, 2022, 07:59:24 AM »

Also, what was the live b-side that came out that seems to have disappeared; will that (was that) ever released on CD?

Exit... Stage Left's MP songs (sides 1, 3 and 4 of the original vinyl) were sourced from March 27, 1981 at The Forum, Montreal. So we are getting the show from 2 nights before in Toronto.

I believe the love B-Side was "Vital Signs" and was originally released as the B-Side to their "New World Man" single in 82.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5725 on: February 11, 2022, 08:15:27 AM »
Obviously a very big thumbs up for them doing this.  But hopefully there will be different versions of the box.  Five 180g LPs?  That's gonna drive the price even farther up.  I'd rather have a box with just the discs.

Everything is pretty much split out, except the Blu-ray. The Super Deluxe box is stupidly priced.

https://www.rushbackstage.com/dept/moving-pictures-40th
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5726 on: February 11, 2022, 08:18:55 AM »

I was excited for the super deluxe box set but then I saw the price...

https://www.rushbackstage.com/store

...but ya know what, in case of future FOMO, I went ahead and ordered it, and thankfully I could use PayPal Pay-In-4 so if just four bi-weekly installments of $76.85, it'll all be paid off.
I may go back someday and try to get the other box sets I'm missing (2112, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves).

I wonder if this means we will get Signals next year? I really hope that, if we do, that they put out a complete Signals Tour show. That is one of my Rush live tour Holy Grails!

-Marc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5727 on: February 11, 2022, 08:19:01 AM »

Exit... Stage Left's MP songs (sides 1, 3 and 4 of the original vinyl) were sourced from March 27, 1981 at The Forum, Montreal. So we are getting the show from 2 nights before in Toronto.

I believe the love B-Side was "Vital Signs" and was originally released as the B-Side to their "New World Man" single in 82.

-Marc.

Has anything from that Toronto show been released before?  If not, that's sort of a cool bonus.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5728 on: February 11, 2022, 08:33:52 AM »

-Marc.

Has anything from that Toronto show been released before?  If not, that's sort of a cool bonus.

I don't believe so, and the press release for MP40 seems to indicate that the entire show was unreleased until now, so it's a brand new release, unearthed from their vaults and archives. As I've suspected, they've probably kept soundboard recordings of all their Toronto home shows, especially when they do multi-night stands at a venue.

-Marc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5729 on: February 11, 2022, 08:55:32 AM »
It figures.  If they really truly were doing this "for the fans" there would be a version with everything but the vinyl, because they know damned well that that would be the most popular version.  Instead, the only way to get the Blu-ray is to spend $300 for the super-deluxe version, so it's clearly "for the money".  The very definition of a cash grab.  Fuck that.  I've got my 5.1 Blu-ray from a few years back, and I'll have to live without the concert vid.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5730 on: February 11, 2022, 09:07:21 AM »
It figures.  If they really truly were doing this "for the fans" there would be a version with everything but the vinyl, because they know damned well that that would be the most popular version.  Instead, the only way to get the Blu-ray is to spend $300 for the super-deluxe version, so it's clearly "for the money".  The very definition of a cash grab.  Fuck that.  I've got my 5.1 Blu-ray from a few years back, and I'll have to live without the concert vid.

But there's no concert video? There's just the audio from Toronto, no video, though having the original ESL Live video would've made a great bonus for the box set. Near as I can tell, the price of the box set is just so high because of all the goodies included, probably also because of the 5 LPs, but thankfully shipping was free.

-Marc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5731 on: February 11, 2022, 09:35:59 AM »
Not gonna lie; as a general rule (not just about Rush) but the format mixing is really irksome.   You should be able to get the MUSIC - or the goodies - on YOUR choice of format, not some arbitrary combo of formats.   

And the irony - that you need the archaic vinyl format to get the cutting edge Blu-ray format - makes it more irksome.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5732 on: February 11, 2022, 09:37:58 AM »

Let's inventory the options:

1. A version that's just vinyl (nothing extra) and which is already sold out.  Who cares?

2. A version that is just vinyl with a gatefold jacket and "1 of 6 Neil Peart hand drawn lyric sheets (randomly inserted, so customer will not know which one [he or she] will receive)" for $40.

3. A 3-CD version with the original album and the complete live show and a big booklet for $28.

4. A 5-LP version with the original album and the complete live show with presumably the same booklet as the 3-CD version but larger for...$98?!  For vinyl?  Bwahaha!!

5. The "super deluxe version," which combines the 3-CD and 5-LP versions (because folks need both?) and includes:
    - A hardcover book version of the booklet.
    - A toy car.
    - A couple of drumsticks.
    - A couple of guitar picks.
    - A replica program.
    - A pin.
    - "30 lenticular 'Moving Pictures' motion litho" (I have no idea what that means).
    - A concert poster.
    - A replica ticket.
    - Another poster.
    - A YYZ luggage tag.
    - A replica backstage pass (I think?).
    - All six replica lyrics sheets.
    - A snazzy box.
    - A blue ray with the three existing videos from MP plus a new one for YYZ and whatever a "Dolby Atmos & new 5.1 surround album mix" is.
    - A $290 price tag.

The replica lyric sheets would be cool (and they can be purchased separately for $50!) and maybe a couple of the trinkets would be nice, but there's really nothing there that interests me beyond the 3-CD set.  I've been saying it as long as these have been getting released, but I can't comprehend why they don't make a "super deluxe version" that doesn't include vinyl.  I MIGHT pull the trigger on something like that (depending on the price), and I think a lot of others would spend more than the $28 for the CD-only version, but the market for that $290 version is going to be INCREDIBLY limited.  If they really want to do a cash grab, their strategy of not including a product with a mid-tier price point is hard to understand.

As far as video, I'm still hoping there will be a 40th-anniversary set for ESL that includes video.  Of course, I'm sure they'll make me buy vinyl to get it, but I might do it for that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5733 on: February 11, 2022, 09:43:51 AM »
Wow, I guess I just figured the Blu-ray was the concert vid; I didn't read it that closely.  We already have the 5.1 HD mix from a few years ago, so I don't even know what the draw is here.  Yeah yeah, it's an "all new" mix.  I have to admit, the 5.1 I have is probably one of the less impressive surround mixes, but I'm not gonna shell out $300 for a new 5.1 mix of an album I usually listen to in stereo anyway.

I love Rush, but I'm not nearly fanatic enough to want all the toys and posters.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5734 on: February 11, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
Wow, I guess I just figured the Blu-ray was the concert vid; I didn't read it that closely.  We already have the 5.1 HD mix from a few years ago, so I don't even know what the draw is here.  Yeah yeah, it's an "all new" mix.  I have to admit, the 5.1 I have is probably one of the less impressive surround mixes, but I'm not gonna shell out $300 for a new 5.1 mix of an album I usually listen to in stereo anyway.

In my view, MP is and always has been the most perfectly mixed album ever.  Every note from every instrument is perfectly clear.  A "new mix" could only be worse.  This is the one area where DT has completely disregarded the "what would Rush do" mantra.

I love Rush, but I'm not nearly fanatic enough to want all the toys and posters.

Yeah...I've got a few sets of commemorative guitar picks in tins, and they just sit on a shelf gathering dust.  A YYZ luggage tag?  I've already got the replica program.  At some point they ought to recognize that they're not marketing this stuff to 16-24 year old boys/men.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5735 on: February 11, 2022, 09:57:11 AM »
True.  They're marketing it to middle-aged boys/men with way too much disposable income.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5736 on: February 11, 2022, 10:05:15 AM »
And way too little space to display trinkets.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5737 on: February 11, 2022, 10:15:47 AM »
True.  They're marketing it to middle-aged boys/men with way too much disposable income.
And way too little space to display trinkets.

I feel attacked, but you know what, I'm fine with that. The other box set I own (AFTK) I received as a Christmas gift, so I'm just sort of spoiling myself on this one anyway. If I can, I'll probably try and get some frames/shadowboxes to display some of the included things.

I'm also just a sucker for really well put-together deluxe box sets, but only whe I can afford them, and yeah, I've already filed my taxes and am getting a sizable refund this month, so I'm splurging on this. Rush has been my favorite band for nearly two decades now, so why not go all in on something like this, especially for an album like Moving Pictures. I feel no shame, but you're both definitely right about the target audience for the super deluxe box set, and all similar box sets from any band/artist.

-Marc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5738 on: February 11, 2022, 10:26:57 AM »
Why can't they release the Blu Ray as it's own entity?  Drives me crazy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5739 on: February 11, 2022, 10:38:00 AM »
Add me to the list of people who are more than satisfied to get the 3CD set and call it a day. I'm at least glad that they're finally releasing a full live show again. Was disappointed that they didn't do that for Hemispheres or PeW. But while I'm not a video person (and therefore, it doesn't really bother me), I'm a bit surprised they didn't include a polished up version of ESL on the Blu-ray - would have seemed to be the perfect opportunity to do so. Can't imagine they'll do a separate box set release of ESL given that they're releasing a full MP show, unless they do a separate hi-def video release later on, maybe with more footage.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.