Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497946 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5635 on: December 24, 2021, 06:31:48 PM »
Ged and Alex, spilling some suds again. https://youtu.be/9GYB0GoKYOw
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5636 on: December 25, 2021, 03:38:41 AM »
 :lol      :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5637 on: December 25, 2021, 05:36:01 AM »
More ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lP0Ol923UI

Fuck how much fun would it be just to hang with these two hosers for a couple hours!!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5638 on: December 25, 2021, 10:32:58 AM »
Would love to hang with them - they are an absolute riot!

Only thing I don't like about those commercials is that I noticed them reusing the same clip of Geddy's gag reflex after Alex's funny quip. But hilarious otherwise!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5639 on: December 25, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »
Yep, probably the coolest guys you could meet in the music world. No egos,  just fun normal.people.  The guys in DT are the same way.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kram

« Reply #5640 on: December 26, 2021, 10:48:38 AM »
Yep, probably the coolest guys you could meet in the music world. No egos,  just fun normal.people.  The guys in DT are the same way.

Another reason why they're my all-time favorite band!  (Rush that is, DT are my 2nd all-time favorite band).

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5642 on: January 01, 2022, 03:01:29 AM »
Cool, I wonder if you have to be def dumb and blind to be able to play it..  :coolio

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5643 on: January 01, 2022, 03:44:56 PM »
I haven't seen a pinball machine...probably 30 years or more, so, while this is cool, I'll probably never see or play one.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #5644 on: January 01, 2022, 05:31:19 PM »
Ohio State Marching Band.....at it again. Another Rush tribute. At halftime of the CRAZY Rose Bowl game today.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5645 on: January 02, 2022, 02:24:58 PM »
That's their halftime show this year.  Same one that got all the pub several weeks ago.  It just made it onto national TV because it was the Rose Bowl.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5646 on: January 04, 2022, 11:21:20 AM »
https://youtu.be/H2pbdRzeQSc

New Pinball machines video!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5647 on: January 04, 2022, 11:35:02 AM »
The "Pro Edition" is $6,899.  "Premium Edition" is $8,999.  "Limited Edition" is $11,099.  https://sternpinball.com/game/rush/

All three cost more than the first new car I bought.

Online HOF

« Reply #5648 on: January 04, 2022, 11:44:17 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5649 on: January 04, 2022, 02:32:22 PM »
The "Pro Edition" is $6,899.  "Premium Edition" is $8,999.  "Limited Edition" is $11,099.  https://sternpinball.com/game/rush/

Gene Simmons approved.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5650 on: January 05, 2022, 06:21:32 AM »

Gene Simmons approved.

Hahaha!   :) :)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #5651 on: January 07, 2022, 10:16:05 PM »
Two years already RIP NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5652 on: January 08, 2022, 11:34:29 AM »
https://youtu.be/MLpcEuR4YNU

From the Drumeo YouTube channel, Brandon Towes plays through bits of all 175 Rush songs in order as a tribute to Neil Peart!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #5653 on: January 08, 2022, 12:13:58 PM »

From the Drumeo YouTube channel, Brandon Towes plays through bits of all 175 Rush songs in order as a tribute to Neil Peart!

-Marc.
That was cool, thanks for posting.  Crazy to think that Clockwork Angels will be 10 years old in June - damn I'm getting old!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5654 on: January 08, 2022, 02:19:27 PM »

Just finished watching the whole thing - absolutely amazing! Very impressive set up for his drums to make sure he covered all eras. Bit of a bummer that Losing It's audio was removed for copyright - what the heck was that all about? Can't imagine that Ben Mink would've been upset to force it to be pulled, and I gotta think Geddy and Alex were duly impressed and pleased to see their friend honored in such a way or else the video would've been pulled. Real strange. Only other thing is I wish there wasn't the pause between when he switched sides of the kit and back again - I wish there was a way to keep the music going, just like Neil had something playing when he did it during his drum solo. Nonetheless, one of the finest tributes to the Professor, Rush in general and John Rutsey.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5655 on: January 10, 2022, 08:17:31 AM »
Today was the day. Neil may have died on the 7th…but unless you actually knew them, today was the day when we all found out that Neil had passed.

It was a Friday and I was at work installing lights in an elevated ceiling in a scissor lift. I got a text from my cousin at about 9am (pacific time) saying “I’m sorry about Neil Peart. 😢” I said “what?” She said, “OMG I didn’t think I’d be the one to break it to you.” So I took a moment to do a quick internet search on my phone….and immediately collapsed in grief on the floor of the lift. I tried desperately to pull it together for the next hour or so, but I just couldn’t do it. I told my boss that I had to leave at lunch, went to my car, and cried my eyes out for about 5-10 minutes before finally being able to drive home. It’s still hard some days. No man’s words had a greater impact on me with the exception of my own father.

Where were you when you got the news?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online faizoff

« Reply #5656 on: January 10, 2022, 08:23:32 AM »
Working from home and my wife broke the news to me. I was really shocked. Extremely bummed, even though I discovered Rush relatively recently (2003 ish) got very familiar with their catalog and bought all their blurays and CDs. I still kick myself for not going to the show that came in town, not realizing they'd never play again. Still bums me out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5657 on: January 10, 2022, 03:46:17 PM »
I know I was home.

Wife sent me a message that said, “Sorry about the Rush guy,” and I had no idea what she was talking about.

One quick google search and I was in tears.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5658 on: January 10, 2022, 05:40:02 PM »
I dug up the thread from 2 years ago and found my first post in it:

I'm stuck at work right now, having to keep myself composed, but I am breaking on the inside. Neil was my inspiration for drumming, and for living for many years of my high school and college life. I can hardly believe it...

Rest in peace, Professor. Truly one I will miss...

-Marc.

I couldn't quite remember where I was or what I was doing, but I said so in my post, and according to my Google calendar, I was at work from 3 til 730, so yeah, I found out while at work and I'm sure I wasn't okay. I think I vaguely remember hearing someone tell me about it first before I saw the news myself, as I'm sure it was for many folks who weren't all over social media at the moment the news dropped.

Even two years later, it still feels surreal that he is gone, and for the first time since his passing, I've been really into listening to Rush again. I've had some of my Live Tour CDrs spinning in my car over the last week or so. I recently finished listening to the AFTK show that was released in full from the AFTK Anniversary box set, and today I popped in the POW Tour show I have (made up mostly of the Philly show from that tour).

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5659 on: January 10, 2022, 06:07:24 PM »
I was at work, it was a slow afternoon, and a few of us were yucking it up when I looked down at my phone from my older brother who had texted me and my other brother that Neil Peart had died.  Suffice it to say, it felt like a gut punch. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5660 on: January 10, 2022, 07:57:59 PM »
Talk about being caught off guard...I was at work, on a VERY productive day, and on my lunch break I interviewed Virgil Donati. January 10th is the birthday of one of the few friends I made in college, so we had a good call - he's in Rio, I'm in Toronto. I was wrapping things up at work and getting ready to hit the gym, then have dinner with the family, but everything fell apart when I read the news. I thought it was a hoax, but when it was confirmed, I couldn't do anything else. Luckily, my wife worked very close to my office, so she met me on the way home. That was a tough weekend.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5661 on: January 10, 2022, 08:42:13 PM »
I was driving the work van, listening to a sports talk radio show, when they played Rush coming out of a break. I thought "that's weird, I've never heard them play rock music, or even talk about rock music, on this show before..." and then the host said Peart had died. Honestly, my first thought was "crap, the guys on the forum are going to be devastated." I do not get emotional over the passing of someone I've never met, but the outpouring of love and grief here really moved me beyond anything I could have anticipated. 

Fast forward months later, listening to the same show, they came out of a break playing Van Halen. I thought "that's weird, I've never heard them play rock music, or even talk about rock music, on this show before, except that one time they played Rush when Peart died. Oh crap...." The host came on to say Eddie had died.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5662 on: January 11, 2022, 09:53:17 AM »
I was sitting at a gate in the Ottawa airport waiting for my flight home - ironically, the last time I traveled for work as well.  My closest buddy since high-school called me, and we talked for like 20 minutes.  Then I called King.  I nearly missed my flight because they changed the gate and I didn't hear the announcement.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5663 on: January 11, 2022, 04:33:29 PM »
Following on from the 2112, AFTK, HEMI, and PEW 40th anniversary box sets, were there ever any plans for a Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary box set? Seems kind of odd that they would have skipped such a monumental album unless it seems like the previous four box sets were just not selling well enough to warrant a fifth one in a row.

Now I wonder if we'll ever get a Signals 40th Anniversary box set because I've been hoping for that one if it means they might be able to dig out a complete Signals Tour show to add to the box set since there are no full soundboard bootlegs from that tour in circulation (just some fairly good audience boots). I'm sure there's one or two in a "vault" somewhere by the band.

Do you think we're done seeing 40th Anniversary box sets?

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5664 on: January 11, 2022, 05:17:54 PM »
Following on from the 2112, AFTK, HEMI, and PEW 40th anniversary box sets, were there ever any plans for a Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary box set? Seems kind of odd that they would have skipped such a monumental album unless it seems like the previous four box sets were just not selling well enough to warrant a fifth one in a row.

Now I wonder if we'll ever get a Signals 40th Anniversary box set because I've been hoping for that one if it means they might be able to dig out a complete Signals Tour show to add to the box set since there are no full soundboard bootlegs from that tour in circulation (just some fairly good audience boots). I'm sure there's one or two in a "vault" somewhere by the band.

-Marc.

There were several sources reporting that the band didn't feel they could do much material beyond what was included in the 30th Anniversary set.     But that just doesn't fly with me because you would think there is at least a complete (professional audio) concert in the vaults somewhere.    I have to feel more like they were just grieving too much to oversee such a project.  But IDK.   Life is weird.   

This last couple of years just seem like both Alex and Geddy are pulling away from the machine.   And that includes what "the machine" churns out.   I'm sure they will revisit stuff when they're ready, but I just don't think they are.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5665 on: January 11, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »

-Marc.

There were several sources reporting that the band didn't feel they could do much material beyond what was included in the 30th Anniversary set.     But that just doesn't fly with me because you would think there is at least a complete (professional audio) concert in the vaults somewhere.    I have to feel more like they were just grieving too much to oversee such a project.  But IDK.   Life is weird.   

This last couple of years just seem like both Alex and Geddy are pulling away from the machine.   And that includes what "the machine" churns out.   I'm sure they will revisit stuff when they're ready, but I just don't think they are.

It did cross my mind that they just weren't willing to oversee any new releases through 2020, which meant preparing a 2021 release of Moving Pictures for a 40th Anniversary box set, and I'm sure the label didn't want to do it without their blessing. But yeah, I agree, you would hope there is a full MP Tour concert audio *somewhere* that they could release. That would be one of my live Rush holy grails (along with a complete Signals Tour and COS Tour shows). They got the opening parts to "2112" from the MP Tour for a release, so what're the odds that they have the rest of that show too?

-Marc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5666 on: January 11, 2022, 06:06:25 PM »
So...I read the following in a post on Reddit (in a DT-related sub):

"[W]hat was the best [DT] tour in your opinion?  And why?  For example, Rush's fan base universally accepts the Test for Echo tour as the best. . . ."

This made me nearly do a spit take and laugh out loud.

I'm not sure there's anything (much less that the T4E tour was the best) that is "universally" accepted by Rush's fan base.

Thoughts?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5667 on: January 11, 2022, 06:12:13 PM »

"[W]hat was the best [DT] tour in your opinion?  And why?  For example, Rush's fan base universally accepts the Test for Echo tour as the best. . . ."

I'm not sure there's anything (much less that the T4E tour was the best) that is "universally" accepted by Rush's fan base.

Thoughts?

Universally is an EXTREMELY strong word…but that tour is often held up as a huge highlight. Geddy was still sounding good, it was their first tour with the “Evening with” format, it was the first ever performance of 2112 with no omissions. And I just recently saw a Rush fan page list DS at the top of the live album rankings.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5668 on: January 11, 2022, 06:56:42 PM »
Well, the TFE Tour was their first tour without an opening act and it was an "An Evening With" affair, so that might give it some brownie points. Of course, as jammindude said, the complete "2112" is a treat, albeit tuned down a step (or half-step? I can't remember), something that is exclusive to that tour only. There was also the return of "Natural Science", which hadn't been played since the Moving Pictures Tour, IIRC.

Despite not featuring any songs before 2112 (the album), it has a fairly good spread of material:
2112 - 1 (well, the whole of side 1, over half the album really)
AFTK - 1 (not counting the Cygnus X-1 teaser at the end of the show)
HEMI - 1
PEW - 3
MP - 4 (also all of side 1 of the album, but they played those regularly anyway)
SIG - 1 (Subdivisions was a swapped song along the tour IIRC)
GUP - 1
POW - 1 (The Big Money was also a swapped out song)
HYF - 1
Presto - 0
RTB - 2
CP - 4
TFE - 7 (The most amount of new material played on a tour since GUP, I believe)

Of course, the tour was a bit heavy on the 90s material, but they really killed it on those tunes. Also, Neil's drumset during that tour was gorgeous, and was the only time he featured double bass drums on the back half of the kit, where he had two small acoustic bass drums under his electronic drums. Every kit since then only had 1 bass drum, be it acoustic or electronic.

But is the TFE Tour their *best*? Ehhhh.... up for debate. If you love 90s Rush, then YES, it most certainly is high up there, but if you're a classic, prog-era Rush fan from the late 70s/early 80s, I'd say the Hemispheres Tour is pretty great, or even the Permnanet Waves Tour. Both feature a heavy dose of their proggy epics and complex numbers, including mostly-full versions of "2112".

Some might like their R30 set list a bit more, as it really covers almost all of their albums up to that point (I believe Presto was the only album no represented at any point), and has a KILLER five-song run closing the main set - 2112 (Overture, Temples, Grand Finale), La Villa, By-Tor, Xanadu, and Working Man - all played pretty much non-stop til the final chord of WM. A 70s Rush fan's wet dream!

Then again, fans of Moving Pictures might really love the Time Machine Tour, featuring that whole album played live, as well as first performances of songs like "Presto", "Faithless", and their first two singles from their forthcoming album. It was a shorter show compared to their previous 00s Tours, but it packed a punch!

I honestly cannot pick a favorite tour of theirs, as each one has something unique to offer, regardless of length or song choices.

-Marc.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5669 on: January 11, 2022, 07:05:22 PM »

Thoughts?
I tell you what, of all the live albums that Rush has put out, Different Stages is my absolute favorite and is a desert island album. The T4E tour was the first time I saw Rush live as well.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar