Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497552 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5600 on: December 14, 2021, 01:28:13 PM »
Huh; had you asked me to guess what song it was, neither of those would have been in the top 20.    Not knowing who the band is/was, my first guess would have been Black Dog, followed by Rock And Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown and maybe Bring It On Home.

Let me call the Rush headquarters and make sure they ask you next time!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5601 on: December 18, 2021, 10:22:52 PM »
More Rush beer from Henderson Brewing Company:

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo/rush-moving-pictures-40th-anniversary-limited-edition-ale-22258#.YaTzUC9yahA
Whoa, this beer will get you ripped! 14% alcohol   🥴

Can't say I care about the beer, but I did get few of the t-shirts and some tumblers.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5602 on: December 18, 2021, 10:24:54 PM »
Alex playing some Zeppelin the other night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x92C_2UhjT0

That was nice.

I guess the Envy of None album will come out sometime next year.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #5603 on: December 19, 2021, 07:58:03 PM »
For others not aware of the Neil thing, here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Drummer-Legends-Anthology-Stories/dp/170511279X/

Thank you, I had no idea about this and jumped on it and my copy arrived today from the USA.
Though I am not a drummer this is well worth getting.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5604 on: December 20, 2021, 05:38:26 AM »
Alex playing some Zeppelin the other night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x92C_2UhjT0

That was nice.

I guess the Envy of None album will come out sometime next year.

I went to a charity event in early October which was supposed to have Alex as a guest, playing one song. Bought two tickets way in advance, excited about seeing him play on such an intimate setting, only to find out that he cancelled in oder to focus on this Envy of None release. Oh well, at least Rik Emmett of Triumph was there.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5605 on: December 21, 2021, 05:31:36 PM »
Can't believe I'm the first to post this, but happy international Rush day everyone!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online nick_z

« Reply #5606 on: December 21, 2021, 07:36:31 PM »
Indeed!

And this year there's some additional, pleasing symmetry when you write the date out in yy/mm/dd format...21/12/21  ;D

Bonus content for the day - a couple more funny Rush beer segments:

Hammer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lP0Ol923UI

Refreshing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GYB0GoKYOw

A good chuckle or two, as usual  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5607 on: December 21, 2021, 07:41:29 PM »
Not to be That Guy, but it's too bad Neil isn't part of these.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5608 on: December 21, 2021, 07:49:17 PM »
Still too soon for me.

Almost 2 years and to be honest, I haven’t been able to listen to Rush in all that time because I just get to choked up.

Maybe January 7 I will finally have a cathartic purge.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5609 on: December 21, 2021, 07:58:15 PM »
I am the opposite.  Revisiting Rush is like a joyous celebration, one that will go on until they toe tag me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5610 on: December 21, 2021, 08:08:38 PM »
Yeah J-dude you fogey. Better to listen to Rush while YOU still can!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5611 on: December 21, 2021, 08:20:48 PM »
Still too soon for me.

Almost 2 years and to be honest, I haven’t been able to listen to Rush in all that time because I just get to choked up.

Maybe January 7 I will finally have a cathartic purge.

The week after Neil passed was REALLY tough, and I couldn't listen to Rush either. Even now, it's a bit strange...I do listen from time to time, but not with the same frequency as before.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5612 on: December 21, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
I haven’t been abstaining completely, but I haven’t sought it out either. I haven’t had that cathartic binge listen that I thought I might. When it does come on in passing, I have good emotions, with a sad undercurrent that I haven’t fully processed yet,

But I’m overdo, so maybe I’ll go on a tear soon.

SO MUCH going on in my life right now. I may have a evisceral post/thread in my near future.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5613 on: December 21, 2021, 08:38:55 PM »
SO MUCH going on in my life right now. I may have a evisceral post/thread in my near future.

Our core music is so cathartic. It has always been there for us. Before high school/college. Before wives and children. On the ride to work from our first job to our ride in this morning.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5614 on: December 21, 2021, 08:50:57 PM »

Our core music is so cathartic. It has always been there for us. Before high school/college. Before wives and children. On the ride to work from our first job to our ride in this morning.

SO MUCH THIS

And I’ve been hiding more in it lately. The recent DT top 100 and new IQ announcement have been a good distraction for me the last week or so.

Online nick_z

« Reply #5615 on: December 22, 2021, 05:39:02 AM »
Not to be That Guy, but it's too bad Neil isn't part of these.

I know  :-[

Offline Kram

« Reply #5616 on: December 22, 2021, 08:45:54 AM »
I am the opposite.  Revisiting Rush is like a joyous celebration, one that will go on until they toe tag me.
I'm the same.  I've run through their complete discography a few times since Neil's passing.  It never gets old!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5617 on: December 22, 2021, 08:54:00 AM »

This is me as well. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5618 on: December 22, 2021, 12:32:55 PM »

This is me as well.
Same here. I listened to Rush last year as much as I did the years prior. How much? A lot.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5619 on: December 22, 2021, 12:39:45 PM »
I must be weird.  I'm sad when people die (I'm afraid of death, myself, if I'm honest) and I'm certainly reflective when (some) of those people pass, but I don't - and never have - really adjusted so radically when someone died.  Several musicians have passed that I had a deep affinity for their work - Randy Rhoads, Chris Squire, Greg Lake, John Wetton, Freddie Mercury, Neil Peart - but it's not like I can't listen to their music.  That was, after all, probably my only connection to them.  I never met any of those people and, honestly, other than John Wetton, I never felt like I might as well have, because I "knew them so well".  I didn't.  I only knew what little pieces they wanted me to see.

I will sometimes lament that we don't have new material from them (Squire, Wetton), or lament what might have been (Rhoads), but I celebrate their work, and accept their passing as one of the many millions of milestones the world has experienced since mankind came to being.  I'm better for having experienced them, but not beholden to them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5620 on: December 22, 2021, 12:44:15 PM »
My brother and I found out about Neil's death on a night we were seeing a Rush Tribute band, "Lotus Land."  It was surreal.  It was actually cathartic for us. It was an emotional night I was glad to share with my brother.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5621 on: December 22, 2021, 12:49:19 PM »
I must be weird.  I'm sad when people die (I'm afraid of death, myself, if I'm honest) and I'm certainly reflective when (some) of those people pass, but I don't - and never have - really adjusted so radically when someone died.  Several musicians have passed that I had a deep affinity for their work - Randy Rhoads, Chris Squire, Greg Lake, John Wetton, Freddie Mercury, Neil Peart - but it's not like I can't listen to their music.  That was, after all, probably my only connection to them.  I never met any of those people and, honestly, other than John Wetton, I never felt like I might as well have, because I "knew them so well".  I didn't.  I only knew what little pieces they wanted me to see.

I will sometimes lament that we don't have new material from them (Squire, Wetton), or lament what might have been (Rhoads), but I celebrate their work, and accept their passing as one of the many millions of milestones the world has experienced since mankind came to being.  I'm better for having experienced them, but not beholden to them.

When I was a child, I definitely had more childlike viewpoints about my superstars than I do today. Now that I’m in my 50s, I am exactly in harmony with what you posted here.

The difference with Neil is, even though I didn’t know him, and whether he knew it or not, The poetry he wrote completely shaped my worldview more than anyone with the exception of God, and my own father. The effect he had on my formative years cannot be understated. So in many ways, though he may not have intended it, he did in a sense “raise” me.

So it hit me quite a bit harder than any other rockstar‘s death.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5622 on: December 22, 2021, 02:09:06 PM »
Neil's death hit me kinda hard because I had lost my Dad a few weeks prior.  He and my Dad were the same age, and I think had even lived almost the exact same amount of days, and both had battled cancer for about the same amount of time as well.  I know it's pretty much entirely coincidental, but man, it had a huge impact on me. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DTA

« Reply #5623 on: December 22, 2021, 03:09:03 PM »
Been addicted to this performance of The Big Money from A Show of Hands:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyeeO8sb-A8&ab_channel=rileysquarepants

Truly the peak of their playing and every member is an absolute joy to watch. I know there's a lot of people who aren't fans of the 80's material, but I think those songs really brought out the best in everyone's playing and performance.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5624 on: December 22, 2021, 06:58:37 PM »

Truly the peak of their playing and every member is an absolute joy to watch. I know there's a lot of people who aren't fans of the 80's material, but I think those songs really brought out the best in everyone's playing and performance.

I absolutely LOVE 80's Rush, and played ASOH to death when I got it!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5625 on: December 22, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »

Those people are communists. :P :biggrin:

80s Rush is the best Rush (collectively).  :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5626 on: December 22, 2021, 07:26:33 PM »

Jeez, can't a guy wear a red sweatshirt around here?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5627 on: December 22, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »
Only when driving around in your red barchetta.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5628 on: December 22, 2021, 07:32:14 PM »
Only when driving around in your red barchetta.

Wearing red lenses..

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5629 on: December 22, 2021, 09:45:24 PM »

Rush produced some incredible music in the '80s....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5630 on: December 23, 2021, 08:04:00 AM »
Neil's death hit me kinda hard because I had lost my Dad a few weeks prior.  He and my Dad were the same age, and I think had even lived almost the exact same amount of days, and both had battled cancer for about the same amount of time as well.  I know it's pretty much entirely coincidental, but man, it had a huge impact on me.

See, I think that's different; there IS a connection there.  Someone else here (it's his story to tell) has a relationship with an artist tied to his father as well, and that's moving. 

EDIT: Not to suggest that others', like Jammin's, aren't a connection.  I'm just making a general comment about death as opposed to critiquing other people's life experiences, which I patently cannot do.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5631 on: December 23, 2021, 08:05:45 AM »

80s Rush is the best Rush (collectively).  :tup :tup

I see what you did there.  Clever!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5632 on: December 23, 2021, 09:18:58 AM »

Yeah, from 1980-1981.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5633 on: December 23, 2021, 09:52:43 AM »

See, I think that's different; there IS a connection there.  Someone else here (it's his story to tell) has a relationship with an artist tied to his father as well, and that's moving. 

EDIT: Not to suggest that others', like Jammin's, aren't a connection.  I'm just making a general comment about death as opposed to critiquing other people's life experiences, which I patently cannot do.

I also noticed that, when Neil's car collection went up for auction, that he had a 63 Corvette.  That was my Dad's favorite model year for the Corvette, and I think if money were no object, he would have tracked one down.  My Dad did have a 2007 Corvette though, that he really, really enjoyed. So, when my Dad died, my way of honoring him was to get my Corvette, which happened to be a Drum Workshop Pure Purpleheart kit, that I had finished in my Dad's two favorite Corvette colors: Daytona Blue and Silver Blue.  DW did a fantastic job on the finish!  So I ended up with a kit that pays tribute to both my Dad and Neil, in a way, since Neil was a DW and Sabian endorsee.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5634 on: December 23, 2021, 10:03:56 PM »

Yeah, from 1980-1981.

1980-82 and February through the end of 1989.

1984 through January 1989 were dark times.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung