Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497896 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5565 on: October 16, 2021, 06:07:27 PM »
Picking that up day 1

As soon as pre-ordering opens....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5566 on: October 16, 2021, 06:11:12 PM »
The choreography was insane with this tribute!   :omg:

Even better than the performance and the performance was awesome!

Online HOF

« Reply #5567 on: October 31, 2021, 11:18:51 PM »
Another "new" Alex Lifeson track, this one a jam he recorded back in 2012 during the Clockwork Angels mixing sessions. Been out there for a few days but just now got around to checking it out.

Cherry Lopez Lullaby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2FDDVvsClo

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5568 on: November 01, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »
Trippy,  I saw this on youtube and Alex said he recorded that earlier in the day after a "wake and bake"  in 2012.   :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5569 on: November 01, 2021, 09:04:51 AM »
Cool tune.  I like this one better than the two newer ones we got earlier this year, though they're pretty cool, too.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5570 on: November 02, 2021, 12:56:28 PM »
This one's for @Orbert (in particular):

The guitar solo section of YYZ done as a bari sax duet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rush/comments/ql8zby/yyz_guitarbass_solo_as_a_baritone_sax_duet/
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5571 on: November 02, 2021, 04:55:36 PM »
Wow!  That was cool.  ♫♫!!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5572 on: November 09, 2021, 07:38:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CANy8pCS2rM

most of this I have read, although it was a long time ago.

But it's an interesting detail into the late John Rutsey's life and the early days of the band

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5573 on: November 10, 2021, 01:37:34 PM »

But it's an interesting detail into the late John Rutsey's life and the early days of the band

Two things irritated me about that video right out of the box.  "Rutsey would be born...."  "Their first gig would happen...."  Just friggin' say "was born" and "happened."  Second, the guy couldn't even get his source right.  I realize that "Banasiewicz" isn't a common name, but the guy who did the video couldn't even be bothered to spell it right in the subtitle at the 1:10 mark (spelling it "Basiniewicz") and even mispronouncing it ("buh-SIN-uh-witz").  For whatever reason, I always remember that, in his book, Banasiewicz wrote that his name rhymes with Manischewitz (the manufacturer of kosher wine and other kosher products).

As you said, this is largely a compilation of stuff that's been out there for years.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5574 on: November 18, 2021, 09:09:36 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5575 on: November 18, 2021, 10:30:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ8w5sks47M

I'm sorry.
That actually wasn't that bad. I was expecting far worse. However, I think American Idol is stupid to begin with so....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5576 on: November 19, 2021, 06:15:38 AM »
What are the odds that "would you like some fries with that?" is still part of that guy's daily vernacular? :P :P

I should also note that he sounded 10 times better than I would.  :lol :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5577 on: November 19, 2021, 09:28:23 AM »
I remember that...from a freakin' decade ago!

That's one of those songs that really needs the music going to make the vocals sound right.  The performance itself wasn't bad, but the song choice was very poor.

Online HOF

« Reply #5578 on: November 19, 2021, 09:31:27 AM »
I remember that...from a freakin' decade ago!

That's one of those songs that really needs the music going to make the vocals sound right.  The performance itself wasn't bad, but the song choice was very poor.

Yeah, the singing was fine. If you put Geddy there with no accompaniment and no effects on his mic, he'd sound about the same. The whole thing seems more like a set up gag than anything. Find a nerdy looking guy to sing a "nerdy" song and make fun of him.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5579 on: November 19, 2021, 12:29:02 PM »
Yeah, the singing was fine. If you put Geddy there with no accompaniment and no effects on his mic, he'd sound about the same. The whole thing seems more like a set up gag than anything. Find a nerdy looking guy to sing a "nerdy" song and make fun of him.

Bingo.

I only watched AI for a couple seasons, but the audition episodes were the WORST.  My understanding was that they would get thousands of people at each audition location, and only a small percentage would actually get in the room with the judges.  Most folks were screened out.  For every five people you'd see on TV, two would be decent but not quite good enough, one would get an invite, one would be generically bad, and one would be so bad it was obviously the only reason the screeners sent him/her into the room was for comedic purposes.  I often wondered if the auditioner knew that or if they gave the judges a heads up.  My understanding was that they stopped doing the stupidly bad auditions several seasons ago.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5580 on: November 22, 2021, 07:55:09 AM »

Two things irritated me about that video right out of the box.  "Rutsey would be born...."  "Their first gig would happen...."  Just friggin' say "was born" and "happened."  Second, the guy couldn't even get his source right.  I realize that "Banasiewicz" isn't a common name, but the guy who did the video couldn't even be bothered to spell it right in the subtitle at the 1:10 mark (spelling it "Basiniewicz") and even mispronouncing it ("buh-SIN-uh-witz").  For whatever reason, I always remember that, in his book, Banasiewicz wrote that his name rhymes with Manischewitz (the manufacturer of kosher wine and other kosher products).

As you said, this is largely a compilation of stuff that's been out there for years.

Unrelated to Rush, but that kind of thing bugs me too. The worst is when people are giving instructions and they say "you're going to want to ...."    Am I?  Am I going to, or do I want to NOW?  What if I don't EVER want to?  SHould I still do it? Is it necessary for the recipe?  DON'T TELL ME WHAT I WANT TO DO!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5581 on: November 22, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »
People make certain phrases more complicated than they need to be, to the point where they don't make literal sense, and seem to think that it makes them sound smarter.

The doorbell rings.  Mrs. Orbert says "That would be FedEx."

Me: "It would be?  Under what conditions?  Is there any way to know who it actually is?"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5583 on: November 29, 2021, 08:40:28 AM »
I'll have to see if I can get this stateside.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5584 on: November 29, 2021, 10:06:27 AM »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5585 on: November 29, 2021, 12:37:21 PM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5587 on: November 29, 2021, 01:19:17 PM »
You amateurs.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5588 on: December 10, 2021, 09:19:34 PM »
Alex playing some Zeppelin the other night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x92C_2UhjT0

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5589 on: December 10, 2021, 11:44:34 PM »
Had no idea that Modern Drummer put out an omnibus of all of Neil's cover stories. Found it on Amazon in the Book section and ordered that puppy immediately. Nice, oversized and a bit stronger magazine type thing. Haven't dug into it yet, but happy either way.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline frogprog

« Reply #5590 on: December 11, 2021, 06:55:09 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Professor! I just ordered this as well.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5591 on: December 11, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »
For others not aware of the Neil thing, here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Drummer-Legends-Anthology-Stories/dp/170511279X/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5592 on: December 11, 2021, 10:11:59 AM »
Wow! That's awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5593 on: December 11, 2021, 12:15:50 PM »

This was at The Massey Hall, which reopened recently, and has been hosting a few exclusive shows with Canadian artists. O considered attending this one just because Alex would be playing, but it was USD 150. Imagine paying that much to see him play for less than 8 minutes!

Online Kram

« Reply #5594 on: December 11, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »

Cool, thanks for the heads up!  Was surprised he played it so faithful to the original (thought he'd make it his own).  Sounded great though!  The singers were good too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5595 on: December 14, 2021, 07:40:37 AM »

This was at The Massey Hall, which reopened recently, and has been hosting a few exclusive shows with Canadian artists. O considered attending this one just because Alex would be playing, but it was USD 150. Imagine paying that much to see him play for less than 8 minutes!

Considering that's my fave Zeppelin song, I'll be coming back to this rather frequently.  Alex was not much more than a background contributor though.  Big cast on stage for that song

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5596 on: December 14, 2021, 08:42:56 AM »
What song?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5597 on: December 14, 2021, 09:15:39 AM »

Online Kram

« Reply #5598 on: December 14, 2021, 10:44:51 AM »
What song?

Battle of Evermore
And part of Stairway to Heaven.  Alex takes the Stairway solo and crushes it - check it out.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5599 on: December 14, 2021, 12:26:55 PM »
Huh; had you asked me to guess what song it was, neither of those would have been in the top 20.    Not knowing who the band is/was, my first guess would have been Black Dog, followed by Rock And Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown and maybe Bring It On Home.