Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 498048 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5530 on: September 14, 2021, 01:01:00 PM »
From that same album: "In the dog days. People look to Sirius." I have no clue what this means, but I only hear the homonym: "People look too serious." Surely this is intentional?  It's jokey and silly. Now would Neil load a phrase with a serious meaning and simultaneously a tounge-in-cheek one as well? I suspect he would. But then again, I also don't hate Dog Years like everyone else. It's another humorous song built around a driving guitar riff. I guess I just happen to like most of Test For Echo.  :)

I think it’s just a pun on Serious/Sirius, with Sirius being known as the “Dog star.” It’s the brightest star in the sky and part of the constellation Canis Major (the Great Dog). People look to Sirius for direction at night, or they “look too serious” is the double meaning/joke.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #5531 on: September 14, 2021, 01:13:26 PM »
From that same album: "In the dog days. People look to Sirius." I have no clue what this means, but I only hear the homonym: "People look too serious." Surely this is intentional?  It's jokey and silly. Now would Neil load a phrase with a serious meaning and simultaneously a tounge-in-cheek one as well? I suspect he would. But then again, I also don't hate Dog Years like everyone else. It's another humorous song built around a driving guitar riff. I guess I just happen to like most of Test For Echo.  :)

I think it’s just a pun on Serious/Sirius, with Sirius being known as the “Dog star.” It’s the brightest star in the sky and part of the constellation Canis Major (the Great Dog). People look to Sirius for direction at night, or they “look too serious” is the double meaning/joke.

Ah OK. Thanks. An excellent explanation.   :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5532 on: September 16, 2021, 08:19:57 PM »
Pretty nice tribute to Neil from Chad Smith https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvaCx70ksws

Crazy at the end how many famous drummers were at that last Rush show.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5533 on: September 17, 2021, 07:14:50 AM »

I never made that connection, I always took it literal. From a dogs point of view, people may come across as being too serious while the dog would rather go on a walk or play all the time. It's like they really are thinking that we've lost our senses to that higher level static of talk, especially in a crowded room when the dog gives up on people and goes to lay down in a corner.

Also, here's a case of mistaken lyrics.  For a long time I thought it said in the chorus "for every scratch a FLEA appears"  until I read it was "for every scratch it re-appears" .   It actually works either way..  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5534 on: September 21, 2021, 08:29:59 AM »
Big update from Geddy:

"So, how did I kill time during the pandemic? Little did I know that as of March 2020 I'd be locked down for over a year and a half—the longest time I'd spent in Toronto since I was nineteen and hit the Northern Ontario bar circuit with Rush. Although Nancy and I had to cancel a bunch of adventures we'd been planning, there were some shiny silver linings to be found at home: teaching my grandson the finer points of baseball and birdwatching, tending to my pups (one of whom was quite ill) and spending the evenings with my lovely better half, glass of Armagnac in hand, as we watched every European mystery show ever produced. Oh, and another thing: I began to write. Words, that is.

My friend and collaborator on the Big Beautiful Book of Bass, Daniel Richler, saw how I was struggling in the aftermath of Neil's passing, and tried coaxing me out of my blues with some funny tales from his youth, daring me to share my own in return. So I did—reluctantly at first, but then remembering, oh yeah, I like wrestling with words. It's a less physical version of arguing with musical notes, without a Ricky doubleneck breaking my back! And soon my baby-step stories were becoming grownup chapters. Being the nuclear obsessive that I am, I'd write and re-write them, reassessing perspectives in the narrative not just by scouring my memory banks but my diaries and piles of photo albums too. I was piecing together a mystery of a different kind.

I'd then send these improved and even illustrated stories to Daniel, who'd clean up some of the grammar and remove a lot of the swearing (I love to fucking swear), and presto! In a voice that sounded, well, just like me, a presentable, epic-length account of my life on and off the stage was taking shape: my childhood, my family, the story of my parents' survival, my travels and all sorts of nonsense I've spent too much time obsessing over. And Daniel said, "I think you're writing a book. An actual memoir, in fact." To which I replied, “Hmm… I guess I am.”

I'm rounding third on this as-of-yet untitled memoir, which will be published by HarperCollins, edited by Noah Eaker, and is scheduled for release in Fall 2022."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5535 on: September 21, 2021, 08:38:04 AM »
As much as I love Neal and his perspective, as much as I love Alex and his goofiness (though deadly serious on guitar), I think Geddy's memoir would be the one I would look forward to most.  I feel like his is... not unique, really, because each has their point of view, but maybe the least well-known, or at least the LEAST personal to date.   That's not going to resonate with this crowd, but I know what I mean, even if I can't articulate it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5536 on: September 21, 2021, 08:40:01 AM »
Picking that up day 1

Online Kram

« Reply #5537 on: September 21, 2021, 10:17:50 AM »
As much as I love Neal and his perspective, as much as I love Alex and his goofiness (though deadly serious on guitar), I think Geddy's memoir would be the one I would look forward to most.  I feel like his is... not unique, really, because each has their point of view, but maybe the least well-known, or at least the LEAST personal to date.   That's not going to resonate with this crowd, but I know what I mean, even if I can't articulate it.
I know what you mean and agree.  I'll definitely be picking up his book and look forward to reading it.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5538 on: September 21, 2021, 11:43:16 AM »
Very interested! Personally, from all interviews I saw and read, Geddy was always the member I most identified with in Rush.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5539 on: September 21, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »
I will be pre-ordering this as soon as it’s available.  And Stads, I know exactly what you were trying to say.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5540 on: September 21, 2021, 11:57:35 AM »
I too would like to read Geddy's memoirs once it comes out.  Also, hopefully somewhere down the line after this is all said and done, he can leak certain drafts of stories that includes the swearing.  I wouldn't mind reading that as well.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5541 on: September 21, 2021, 03:22:08 PM »

https://bravewords.com/features/iron-maiden-scheduled-to-tour-senjutsu-next-june-i-think-the-performances-from-all-my-bandmates-are-superb-theyre-just-magic-says-nicko-mcbrain

This is a short, but very interesting interview with Nicko. He says the Senjutsu tour will start in June.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5542 on: September 21, 2021, 03:26:35 PM »

https://bravewords.com/features/iron-maiden-scheduled-to-tour-senjutsu-next-june-i-think-the-performances-from-all-my-bandmates-are-superb-theyre-just-magic-says-nicko-mcbrain

This is a short, but very interesting interview with Nicko. He says the Senjutsu tour will start in June.

Will Alex and Geddy be opening???
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5543 on: September 21, 2021, 03:29:23 PM »

Will Alex and Geddy be opening???

That was so weird.  He was quoting Stadler and then linking an article that has nothing to do with Stadler's post.  I don't know what the brain goes through when there are two streams of thought that crashes like that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5544 on: September 21, 2021, 03:32:48 PM »
 :rollin

:facepalm: :facepalm: :loser: :loser:

That's what I get for having two DTF tabs up at the same time.  :lol

I was about to reply to Stadler, but I got sidetracked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5545 on: September 21, 2021, 03:36:48 PM »
Just another peg on that stick pointing out you are a foggy.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5546 on: September 21, 2021, 05:24:54 PM »

:facepalm: :facepalm: :loser: :loser:

That's what I get for having two DTF tabs up at the same time.  :lol

I was about to reply to Stadler, but I got sidetracked.

:lol :lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5547 on: September 21, 2021, 09:12:54 PM »
Just another peg on that stick pointing out you are a foggy.  :lol
A foggy?  :huh:  You mean "fogey"?  :rollin
Who's the fogey now?   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5548 on: September 22, 2021, 05:01:47 AM »
Just another peg on my pole pointing out I need an editor.   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5549 on: September 22, 2021, 05:03:13 AM »
PS: It's Tim here today where I live.  You know, foggy.  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5550 on: October 10, 2021, 06:21:14 AM »
The Ohio State marching band did a tribute to Rush at halftime of the OSU football game yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTRluWPw08M
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5551 on: October 10, 2021, 06:31:39 AM »
The Ohio State marching band did a tribute to Rush at halftime of the OSU football game yesterday

Saw it last night.  That was all kinds of awesome.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5552 on: October 10, 2021, 08:22:34 AM »

Saw it last night.  That was all kinds of awesome.

OSU’s marching band is on its own plane of existence.  There’s a reason they are called The Best Damn Band in the Land.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5553 on: October 10, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »
That was amazing!!!!! WOW!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5554 on: October 10, 2021, 08:55:52 AM »
The choreography was insane with this tribute!   :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5555 on: October 10, 2021, 09:19:41 AM »
That was really stunning.  And surprisingly emotional to watch.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5556 on: October 10, 2021, 09:32:39 AM »
Kudos to their band instructor!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5557 on: October 11, 2021, 06:51:17 AM »
That was unbelievable. The choreography was out of this world.

And I second the comment about it being emotional to watch - I did get a little teary-eyed. In part it's just the sheer joy of watching such an awesome tribute to my favorite band. But it also got me thinking again how sad it is it had to end that way for Neil...

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #5558 on: October 11, 2021, 05:26:04 PM »
Well this is by far the coolest thing to ever happen in Ohio  :lol :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5559 on: October 11, 2021, 06:17:59 PM »

And I second the comment about it being emotional to watch - I did get a little teary-eyed. In part it's just the sheer joy of watching such an awesome tribute to my favorite band. But it also got me thinking again how sad it is it had to end that way for Neil...
Are you sure you aren't my long lost twin brother? We have the same favorite band..... Our yearly album lists have tons of crossover..... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5560 on: October 11, 2021, 06:21:51 PM »

Are you sure you aren't my long lost twin brother? We have the same favorite band..... Our yearly album lists have tons of crossover..... :corn

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5561 on: October 11, 2021, 06:25:24 PM »

Real life re-enactment of Nick and I meeting for the first time  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5562 on: October 11, 2021, 07:33:02 PM »

Real life re-enactment of Nick and I meeting for the first time  :biggrin:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5563 on: October 12, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »
Especially for a state that's round on both ends and high in the middle.. 🤪

Offline Lupton

« Reply #5564 on: October 12, 2021, 07:09:56 PM »
Especially for a state that's round on both ends and high in the middle.. 🤪

:lol