Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497624 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5495 on: August 18, 2021, 12:13:06 PM »
"So how much beer does this factory of beer make?"

"Well, brewery is the proper term that we use in the science community"

:lol :rollin :biggrin:

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5496 on: August 18, 2021, 11:08:27 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SadY0mP812A

Rush beer coming. Very funny spot with Ged and Alex.

Loved this  :lol

Inebriated Rush is my favorite Rush.    :lol

The did sound absolutely wankered :lol I literally laughed out loud at the "what's vat?" ending. How can anyone not love these guys?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5497 on: August 19, 2021, 09:01:23 AM »
As someone who is not a huge beer drinker anymore (though I love a cold High-Life or Blue Moon on a hot summer's day) I would still drink this.  I'm a fan of the ale's that come down from our neighbor to the north.  I even like their shit beer (like Molson Bradors, which I later heard is the crap they sell to the 'muricans while keeping the good stuff for themselves!)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5498 on: August 19, 2021, 09:21:17 AM »
I drink Moosehead every night!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5499 on: August 19, 2021, 07:40:17 PM »
More Alex Lifeson music from the likely scrapped second solo album.

https://alexlifeson.com/

Why scrapped?  Is this the new music or was there another album a while ago that was shelved?

At one point there was going to be a Victor II. Not much was known about but it got derailed because of Vapor Trails and/or lack of label interest. Or he just decided not to put the effort into it I don't think the project got close enough to anything close to a fully formed album.
Most of what he's released himself is music from that time period. The Envy Of None Project is totally new.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5500 on: August 19, 2021, 07:46:25 PM »

Cinema Strangiato trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB--b5wUrDs

Tickets On Sale Aug 17, 2021: https://www.cinemastrangiato.com

The Holy Trinity of Rock returns to the big screen on September 9, 2021, when "Rush: Cinema Strangiato - Director's Cut" brings Rush fans together in movie theatres once again worldwide – this time to celebrate 40 years of Moving Pictures. This global fan event takes an alternate “director’s cut” of 2019's feature, giving audiences a special look into R40 LIVE, with a revamped setlist including new additions of bonus tracks "One Little Victory" and “Red Barchetta” as well as "Cygnus X-1 / “The Story So Far” featuring Neil's final recorded drum solo masterpiece. Additional favorites include songs such as “Animate”, “Closer to the Heart", "Subdivisions", and “Tom Sawyer" along with backstage moments and candid footage left on the cutting room floor. The Director’s Cut also includes soundcheck performances of the fan-favorite "Jacob's Ladder", exclusive interviews with Tom Morello, Billy Corgan, Taylor Hawkins, producer Nick Raskulinecz, The Trailer Park Boys, violinist Jonathan Dinklage and more surprises.

If you don't have the DVDs this might be worth seeing, but about 85 percent of the director's cut is from the concert DVD releases.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5501 on: August 19, 2021, 07:51:13 PM »
Not surprise on the vocals.  Les never had Geddy's range at all ever.

Anyone who knows Les Claypool's work knows how this is going to be handled.

Everything sounded great to me. Just wish the Primusized a lot of it instead of mostly sticking to the script.  Madrigal was probably my favorite. Would have been great to get more of jam and the end of Closer To The Heart though.

But this was just one show. They might get more comfortable with it later on.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5502 on: August 19, 2021, 08:03:11 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SadY0mP812A

Rush beer coming. Very funny spot with Ged and Alex.

Don't care about the beer. Not into beer, but I'm down for the shirt and will always be up for the Dirk and Lerxst Comedy Hour.

That was some HEAVY editing. They must have been cracking each other up going off script (if there even was one).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5503 on: August 23, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »
Another Rush beer commercial..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZrLuYoPsA
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5504 on: August 23, 2021, 01:14:28 PM »
I'll be filling my schmigilcha next week!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5505 on: August 23, 2021, 01:47:05 PM »
 :lol

They're the best.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5506 on: August 23, 2021, 03:22:11 PM »
They crack me up, every time  :rollin

It definitely sounds like they went though all of that beer tasting JUST before they shot this  :biggrin:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5507 on: August 28, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »
I'll be filling my schmigilcha next week!

Got a set of commemorative tumblers to celebrate the occasion even if I'm not drinking the beer.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5508 on: August 28, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »
They crack me up, every time  :rollin

It definitely sounds like they went though all of that beer tasting JUST before they shot this  :biggrin:

Those are heavily edited. Love to know what dropped on the cutting room floor.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5509 on: September 08, 2021, 02:11:25 PM »
Probably not the new Geddy Lee project that anyone here asked for, but Geddy Lee appears to be working on some sort of project with Barenaked Ladies frontman Ed Robertson.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2021/09/08/5662/Barenaked-Ladies-frontman-Ed-Robertson-working-on-secret-project-with-Rushs-Geddy-Lee

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5510 on: September 08, 2021, 02:35:25 PM »
Barenaked Geddy.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5511 on: September 08, 2021, 02:44:34 PM »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5512 on: September 08, 2021, 02:53:16 PM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5513 on: September 08, 2021, 03:05:59 PM »
Barenaked Geddy.
:omg:  Ewwwwww!

:lol :lol

Rush was a band that was so much more than the sum of its parts.  At this point, I have a very hard time envisioning myself caring too much about stuff they do on their own, but we'll see.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5514 on: September 08, 2021, 04:18:12 PM »
pg, what are you into musically these days?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5515 on: September 08, 2021, 08:10:54 PM »
Barenaked Geddy.
:omg:  Ewwwwww!

:lol :lol

Rush was a band that was so much more than the sum of its parts.  At this point, I have a very hard time envisioning myself caring too much about stuff they do on their own, but we'll see.

Bring it on.
I don't have a problem with any of it.

But then I really like My Favorite Headache, Victor and the stuff Alex has already released this year.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5516 on: September 13, 2021, 11:02:06 PM »
I have a bug in my bonnet that I need to get off my chest (how many metaphors is that?)

I just have no concept whatsoever of the hate for Virtuality.

Yes, I’ll admit that the terms are slightly dated, but the overall message and principle of the song is extremely poignant and actually becomes more accurate the more that technology becomes a part of our lives. That…on top of one of Alex’s more kick ass riffs…should give this song some credence.

I mean, come on. “Net boy, net girl” is not even Neil’s poorest lyric from this album…and he’s had much bigger missteps throughout the Rush catalog.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out why this song in particular gets a lightning rod of criticism.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5517 on: September 14, 2021, 01:11:33 AM »
I've always loved Virtuality,  one of my favorite songs on the record.  It was great to see them play that at The Gorge in 1997..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DTA

« Reply #5518 on: September 14, 2021, 03:52:43 AM »
Virtuality is a top 5 guitar riff easily. The lyrics never bothered me because the chorus vocal and music was so melodic. Same with Dog Years too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5519 on: September 14, 2021, 06:15:04 AM »
Well, leaving aside the fact that calling something "dated" is like the most inane criticism possible, I have always been puzzled as well as to why that term was used to describe Virtuality. Because online dating no longer exists??  :lol :lol

Anyway, I like the song, always have. The riff is killer.  One of the better songs from the band's least best record.  :biggrin:

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5520 on: September 14, 2021, 06:44:03 AM »
Count me in for Virtuality's appreciation! Always liked it, one of the songs that immediately struck me when I first got the album. I wasn't even aware that there was a general disdain for its lyrics until much later  :) And I've never really shared that sentiment...

One of Alex's mightiest riffs, for sure, and real nice melody in the chorus.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5521 on: September 14, 2021, 06:48:56 AM »
Count me in for the appreciation of the beer!  Very yummy stuff.  I even got the commemorative case that it comes in.  :fistpump:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #5522 on: September 14, 2021, 07:17:19 AM »
I have a bug in my bonnet that I need to get off my chest (how many metaphors is that?)

I just have no concept whatsoever of the hate for Virtuality.

Yes, I’ll admit that the terms are slightly dated, but the overall message and principle of the song is extremely poignant and actually becomes more accurate the more that technology becomes a part of our lives. That…on top of one of Alex’s more kick ass riffs…should give this song some credence.

I mean, come on. “Net boy, net girl” is not even Neil’s poorest lyric from this album…and he’s had much bigger missteps throughout the Rush catalog.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out why this song in particular gets a lightning rod of criticism.

I’ve said it before, but Virtuality captures the experience of the early internet just as well and artfully as The Spirit of Radio captures the vibe of listening to rock radio. It’s a great song with a killer riff and there is nothing inherently dated or weird about the lyrics. A modem was the technology at the time just like a radio antenna was the technology most people used to hear music in 1980.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5523 on: September 14, 2021, 08:15:43 AM »
I've been a critic of Virtuality, and for me it's less that that specific song is problematic for specific reasons, but rather that it was sort of indicative of the album as a whole.   I don't know, for me, Rush wasn't really a "let's talk about the issues of the day" band.   Their's was a more existential viewpoint (at least what I took from the band), so for me it seemed a sort of sop to the times that I had not really gotten from Rush before.   Musically that was the case as well.    In hindsight I'm softer on the music now than I was, but it's still not a top tier or even top half album for me.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5524 on: September 14, 2021, 08:35:49 AM »
I've been a critic of Virtuality, and for me it's less that that specific song is problematic for specific reasons, but rather that it was sort of indicative of the album as a whole.   I don't know, for me, Rush wasn't really a "let's talk about the issues of the day" band.   Their's was a more existential viewpoint (at least what I took from the band), so for me it seemed a sort of sop to the times that I had not really gotten from Rush before.   Musically that was the case as well.    In hindsight I'm softer on the music now than I was, but it's still not a top tier or even top half album for me.

But weren't albums like GUP and Power Windows a commentary about the issues of the day?  To me, both of those albums are commentaries about the issues of the times: runaway greed (Big Money), Cold War tensions (Distant Early Warning, Territories), emerging technologies (The Body Electric, Emotion Detector), Boomer angst (Middletown Dreams, Between the Wheels) and so on.   I think the lyrics for Virtuality are a bit clumsy, and a rare misstep from Neil, but man, for me, Neil nailed the commenting on the issues of the day with his lyrics in the 80s.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5525 on: September 14, 2021, 08:49:22 AM »

But weren't albums like GUP and Power Windows a commentary about the issues of the day?  To me, both of those albums are commentaries about the issues of the times: runaway greed (Big Money), Cold War tensions (Distant Early Warning, Territories), emerging technologies (The Body Electric, Emotion Detector), Boomer angst (Middletown Dreams, Between the Wheels) and so on.   I think the lyrics for Virtuality are a bit clumsy, and a rare misstep from Neil, but man, for me, Neil nailed the commenting on the issues of the day with his lyrics in the 80s.

Maybe; I certainly am not saying you're wrong, but I don't think of them that way, and bear in mind, GUP is lower tier as well (it's usually my least favorite of the band's records).   Signals is a top five record for me, and the things that touch me on that record are the personal.   I lived in the suburbs (the subdivisions), and the first two verses of The Analog Kid are perhaps my favorite in all the catalogue because they are ME (I even had a special spot, near a lake behind my house, that had a small grassed hill hidden in the woods that I would go to and lie there listening to music and thinking about my teenage world.  Alas it's been bulldozed away in the name of progress.)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5526 on: September 14, 2021, 10:47:13 AM »
I think you and I would agree that Neil's greatest gift as a lyricist was to make the personal universal and vice versa.   I can understand the criticism of his earlier lyrics, but from Signals on, his lyrics are so human and relatable. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #5527 on: September 14, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
It seems for a lot of the lyrics from Rush's later albums Peart would intentionally have lyrics that had multiple levels of meaning. As we are discussing Virtuality, I'm pretty sure that Neil understood the different meanings of the word "net" when he penned that chorus. The most obvious, Net as in 'net (for internet). But also net as in fishing net, to go with the nautical allusions (cyber sea). But my personal favorite is net as in a sum: i.e. Net total. Net gain. When I hear that chorus, I hear Geddy singing mathematically about sums .. Crazy I know! But that's actually why I find it so funny!  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5528 on: September 14, 2021, 11:29:42 AM »
It seems for a lot of the lyrics from Rush's later albums Peart would intentionally have lyrics that had multiple levels of meaning. As we are discussing Virtuality, I'm pretty sure that Neil understood the different meanings of the word "net" when he penned that chorus. The most obvious, Net as in 'net (for internet). But also net as in fishing net, to go with the nautical allusions (cyber sea). But my personal favorite is net as in a sum: i.e. Net total. Net gain. When I hear that chorus, I hear Geddy singing mathematically about sums .. Crazy I know! But that's actually why I find it so funny!  :lol

No, that's good insight that I don't think I've contemplated before.   I may go back and re-listen with that knowledge.   :tup

Offline Lupton

« Reply #5529 on: September 14, 2021, 12:47:23 PM »

No, that's good insight that I don't think I've contemplated before.   I may go back and re-listen with that knowledge.   :tup

Thanks. Too kind. Just want to add to the choir of appreciation for the song too, but I do still find it very comical all the same. But then we all know Rush had a pretty good sense of humor! That disco beat in the bridge is Neil having a (not so?) subtle laugh at the idea of a "virtual song". I know this because he actually brought this up in that drum video he did.

From that same album: "In the dog days. People look to Sirius." I have no clue what this means, but I only hear the homonym: "People look too serious." Surely this is intentional?  It's jokey and silly. Now would Neil load a phrase with a serious meaning and simultaneously a tounge-in-cheek one as well? I suspect he would. But then again, I also don't hate Dog Years like everyone else. It's another humorous song built around a driving guitar riff. I guess I just happen to like most of Test For Echo.  :)