Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497934 times)

Online pg1067

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5460 on: July 22, 2021, 10:58:54 AM »
As far as the 40th anniversary for MP, the last I heard was that the person who worked at Anthem Records, who was in charge of doing those other anniversary editions, doesn’t work there now. So…that doesn’t bode well for that, and one for ESL is highly unlikely.

I've heard that too, but I've also heard this:

Don't remember what interview, but I could swear I read something on rushisaband.com that mentioned in an interview with Hugh Syme, he confirmed that he was working on a deluxe package for the 40th anniversary of MP, but that it would be released later in the year.

So...I guess we'll know when we know...or after a year or so has passed and we get nothing.

The video footage issue. More than likely, they probably only recorded key songs, or if there were others, it was scrapped years ago. People weren’t thinking about the type of archival stuff like that back then.  It’s a similar issue with Van Halen’s infamous Oakland 1981 show. There were three songs that had amazing videos shot. People have been wanting to know if the rest of the show was filmed. I heard Michael Anthony asked about it and he said that he only remembered them shooting three songs because it was about promotion for the singles. I think Wolfgang Van Halen even said that he asked his dad once, he he told him that there wasn’t anything else.

This just doesn't make sense to me.  I don't know anything about the Van Halen situation, but Rush didn't just record a few "key songs."  Comparing the set list from the 3/27/81 show to what's on the ESL video (red are songs not featured, and blue are songs that are featured):

- 2112: Overture & Temples
- Freewill
- Limelight
- Cygnus Book II, Prelude
- Beneath, Between & Behind
- The Camera Eye (audio from TCE is used in the intro segment, but I believe it's the studio version)
- YYZ (with drum solo) (live audio from YYZ and Neil's solo is used in the background under some voice overs by the band members)
- Broon's Bane
- The Trees
- Xanadu
- The Spirit of Radio
- Red Barchetta
- Closer to the Heart
- Tom Sawyer
- Vital Signs
- Natural Science
- Working Man
- Cygnus Book II, Armageddon
- By-Tor/In the End/In the Mood/Grand Finale (medley)
- La Villa Strangiato (encore)

The notion that they'd be in position but not turn the cameras on for the opener and then turn them on for a few songs, off for a few, then on, then off, then on, then off... just strikes me as absurd.  It's certainly possible that, after they edited it and made the ESL video, the original stuff was lost or destroyed, and that would be terribly sad, but I can't believe the stuff on the video is the only stuff that was ever filmed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5461 on: July 26, 2021, 06:19:55 PM »
We all like what we like.  I get it.  Heck, there are some Rush fans out there who love Presto more than Moving Pictures.

Substitute Vapor Trails, Snakes And Arrows, and Clockwork Angels and that could be me more often than not.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5462 on: July 26, 2021, 06:26:00 PM »
Where would you consider the Rush synth era to start?

Peter Collins' first two albums mostly because of the orchestration.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5463 on: July 26, 2021, 06:32:27 PM »
They purposely when heavy on the synths for Signals but Alex pushed back and had a more prominent sound for his guitars on GUP.  It was them asking Peter Collins on PW if they could balance to 2.

The problem is everything else on GUP.   Neil's drums are anemic and Alex sounds like he's auditioning for The Police.

I either read or listened to an interview with Stewart Copeland a few weeks back (I wish I could remember where so I could post the link) and he said that at least one Police song sounded like Rush (I really wish I could find that interview now.)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5464 on: July 26, 2021, 06:36:21 PM »
Secret Journey is my vote.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5465 on: July 26, 2021, 06:37:35 PM »
For a while there, Alex seemed to be channeling Andy Summers (of The Police).  Lots of 7ths and 9ths, somehow distorted and clean-sounding at the same time, compressed but ever-so-slightly low in the mix.  I happen to like the sound, but Rush's reggae/ska period did seem to borrow heavily from The Police.

That's really a great way to describe it. And I thought the sound was great too!

What's funny to me is Summer's similarly would be corrupted by Robert Fripp. And Synchronicity would be dominated by synth guitar gas clouds (ala Crimson Nuage style) in a departure from Summer's approach with previous Police records. Even the tune Mother has that distinctive tritonal Crim-blues vibe. Good musicians influencing other good musicians is a great thing.

It sure is a great thing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5466 on: July 26, 2021, 06:39:57 PM »
Summers and Fripp made an album together, I Advance Masked, released in 1982.  So it makes sense that they would influence each other.

I have this album, but must admit that I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

I like this album, but I have to admit I can't remember the last time I pulled it off of the shelf for a listen.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5467 on: July 26, 2021, 06:42:22 PM »
Some cool stuff, great playing of course, but not exactly catchy.  You have to listen actively to it, and you have to really get into what it is they're doing.  Most of the tunes, I listen, then think "Okay, that was... interesting".  But it's been a while for me, too.  I might be due for a re-listen.

I actually forgot about Bewitched, the follow-up.  I should revisit that one, too.

Hopefully, I'll remember to give this a listen this weekend.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5468 on: July 26, 2021, 06:50:25 PM »
So roll call.  How many times have you seen Rush and what was the first tour. 

I've seen Rush 31 times. 1st was on the Grace Under Pressure Tour.

Hate this question but OK.

49 Times. First two were March 31 and April 1, 1986 with Marillion opening with Misplaced Childhood. At least once a US leg from 1986 to 2015. Longest drive was four hours three times.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5469 on: July 26, 2021, 06:58:37 PM »
I've seen Rush 20 times.  First show was in September of 1983 at Radio City Music Hall.  They played 4 or 5 shows at Radio City that September.  These shows were between Signals and GUP and they actually premiered some early versions of a few GUP songs (different arrangements etc.)

Were those the infamous Marillion dates? The shows were Marillion almost got booed off the stage?

Still seems hard to imagine.

It was bad, but according to a few recordings not as bad as legend would have you believe. There were cheers at the two Power Windows I saw.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5470 on: July 26, 2021, 07:04:48 PM »
I saw Fastway for GUP tour, The Steve Morse band and Marillion for the PW tour.  I saw Vinnie Moore open but i forget what tour.  Mr. Big twice on 2 separate tours.  I would have killed to see Gary Moore live.

Ugh Vinny Moore was the Roll The Bones tour at MSG December 6 and 7, 1991.

Had to endure Mr. Big 4 times. Three times for Presto and once for Roll The Bones.

Gary Moore, Jon Butcher Axis and Steve Morse would have been great to see.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5471 on: July 26, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »
Kiss and Rush is like using your 2 different heads.

That's what it must have been like in 1974 and 1975.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5472 on: July 26, 2021, 08:00:46 PM »

49 Times. First two were March 31 and April 1, 1986 with Marillion opening with Misplaced Childhood. At least once a US leg from 1986 to 2015. Longest drive was four hours three times.

Lol

That's like saying your first time having sex I was amazing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5473 on: July 26, 2021, 08:05:41 PM »

Lol

That's like saying your first time having sex I was amazing.

It is like that!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5474 on: July 26, 2021, 08:07:02 PM »
 :lol

Remember Gene wondering why they were in their hotel room after gigs? :lol. Exactly.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5475 on: August 07, 2021, 11:47:01 AM »
More Alex Lifeson music from the likely scrapped second solo album.

https://alexlifeson.com/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5476 on: August 08, 2021, 01:18:59 PM »

Why scrapped?  Is this the new music or was there another album a while ago that was shelved?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5477 on: August 08, 2021, 02:02:49 PM »

Why scrapped?  Is this the new music or was there another album a while ago that was shelved?

These are demos that he made between 96-99.  I don’t know if anything was completed and shelved. I think these are just tunes he was messing around with when Rush were on their hiatus.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5478 on: August 08, 2021, 02:12:20 PM »

I was listening to these a few days ago, but was a bit underwhelmed.  I can see why he never released these songs.  They sound more like he was just expirimenting with sounds and ideas and recorded them on the fly, which is a good thing btw.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5479 on: August 16, 2021, 08:58:21 PM »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5480 on: August 17, 2021, 08:46:44 AM »
I've seen Beyond The Lighted Stage about 2-3 times prior Neil's death. Once he did, I literally didn't listen to any Rush. Don't know why Neil's death affected me a bit. I don't know him, love him as a drummer, never met the guy...I guess his tragic stories plus how he overcame that, to himself succumb to cancer was more than tragic enough to feel sad and distanced myself from Rush.

Anyways, I decided to revisit the documentary since I got the "Rash" itch last night to listen to them. I absolutely loved the last "business meeting" during the credits. Brought a tear to my eye to see how the three of them were just talking and being goofy. So today I started revisiting the Rush studio albums and started with Test for Echo. I didn't choose anything from Vapor Trails onward just because I played the newer stuff to death and saw them multiple times during those tours.

I can see how Vapor Trails is the continuation of the sound they went for in TfE. Surprisingly, I'm liking Totem a lot and obviously Resist (prefer the acoustic live version though).   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5481 on: August 17, 2021, 08:48:33 AM »
Cinema Strangiato trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB--b5wUrDs

Tickets On Sale Aug 17, 2021: https://www.cinemastrangiato.com

The Holy Trinity of Rock returns to the big screen on September 9, 2021, when "Rush: Cinema Strangiato - Director's Cut" brings Rush fans together in movie theatres once again worldwide – this time to celebrate 40 years of Moving Pictures. This global fan event takes an alternate “director’s cut” of 2019's feature, giving audiences a special look into R40 LIVE, with a revamped setlist including new additions of bonus tracks "One Little Victory" and “Red Barchetta” as well as "Cygnus X-1 / “The Story So Far” featuring Neil's final recorded drum solo masterpiece. Additional favorites include songs such as “Animate”, “Closer to the Heart", "Subdivisions", and “Tom Sawyer" along with backstage moments and candid footage left on the cutting room floor. The Director’s Cut also includes soundcheck performances of the fan-favorite "Jacob's Ladder", exclusive interviews with Tom Morello, Billy Corgan, Taylor Hawkins, producer Nick Raskulinecz, The Trailer Park Boys, violinist Jonathan Dinklage and more surprises.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online pg1067

« Reply #5482 on: August 17, 2021, 10:52:27 AM »
Primus playing a A Farewell to Kings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S70s2qsMvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zflb2s_yu2A

I'm not sure if he yacked the keyboards in the intro of AFTK or deliberately changed the part.  Either way, that part was hard to listen to.  Instrumentally, the rest of the song was decently done (and I'm allowing for the cell phone camera audio), but the "singer's" attempt at the vocals was fairly pathetic.  I'll probably at least check out Xanadu later.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5483 on: August 17, 2021, 10:54:14 AM »
Not surprise on the vocals.  Les never had Geddy's range at all ever.

Offline Kram

« Reply #5484 on: August 17, 2021, 12:07:19 PM »

I'm not sure if he yacked the keyboards in the intro of AFTK or deliberately changed the part.  Either way, that part was hard to listen to.  Instrumentally, the rest of the song was decently done (and I'm allowing for the cell phone camera audio), but the "singer's" attempt at the vocals was fairly pathetic.  I'll probably at least check out Xanadu later.

Watched the first few minutes.  The music sounds ok (Les pretty much was able to capture Geddy's bass tone from back then) but the vocals are bad.  Sounds like me singing them (which is really bad).  I'm sorry but it just doesn't sound good sung an octave or two lower than the original - looses all the energy the original tune had..

Online pg1067

« Reply #5485 on: August 17, 2021, 12:49:05 PM »

Watched the first few minutes.  The music sounds ok (Les pretty much was able to capture Geddy's bass tone from back then) but the vocals are bad.  Sounds like me singing them (which is really bad).  I'm sorry but it just doesn't sound good sung an octave or two lower than the original - looses all the energy the original tune had..

Yup.  As the guy in my office who is a fan of both Rush and Primus told me, "Les isn't a singer.  He's a narrator."

I also watched the first few minutes of Xanadu, and it was mostly good. except for a couple parts where he tried doing the bass with only hammer-ons so that he could use his right hand to play the keys.  It was weird, and I'm not sure how you expect to pull off a decent rendition of Xanadu with having bass pedals, which he didn't seem to have.  I'll be interested to listen to the guitar solo at the end where Geddy plays rhythm guitar and handles the low-end with the pedals.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5486 on: August 17, 2021, 04:21:22 PM »
I think expecting Primus to sound just like Rush is a stretch.  They've always been an "homage" band when it comes to their covers (and there are many).  You either like Les or you don't in my experience.  (I do like him, and having met him once, Rush is pretty much his holy grail as a band). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5487 on: August 18, 2021, 07:15:17 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SadY0mP812A

Rush beer coming. Very funny spot with Ged and Alex.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5488 on: August 18, 2021, 07:23:45 AM »

What's Vat? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5489 on: August 18, 2021, 07:47:29 AM »
I'm so buying this.  And it drops right when I'm on vaca!  :fistpump:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5490 on: August 18, 2021, 08:35:58 AM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:56:56 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #5491 on: August 18, 2021, 10:21:31 AM »
I'm so buying this.  And it drops right when I'm on vaca!  :fistpump:

I need this!

Really hope it makes its way south of the border.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5492 on: August 18, 2021, 10:25:58 AM »

Loved this  :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5493 on: August 18, 2021, 10:35:42 AM »

Loved this  :lol

Inebriated Rush is my favorite Rush.    :lol
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5494 on: August 18, 2021, 11:44:40 AM »
  :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP