Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497650 times)

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline romdrums

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5250 on: May 17, 2021, 02:31:13 PM »
https://youtu.be/CJgXKdo0LbU

Anybody seen this pretty great cover of Middletown Dreams? :tup Discovered this by accident!

Vocalist is great, but the sloppiness of the musicians on the chorus and the 2nd verse made me turn it off.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5251 on: May 18, 2021, 12:46:01 AM »
https://youtu.be/CJgXKdo0LbU

Anybody seen this pretty great cover of Middletown Dreams? :tup Discovered this by accident!

Vocalist is great, but the sloppiness of the musicians on the chorus and the 2nd verse made me turn it off.
I thought just the opposite.  The musicians did just fine but the vocals sounded a bit awkward.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5252 on: May 23, 2021, 10:52:05 AM »
He also played guitar on Teddy's solo album. I did a career spanning interview with him last night. We spoke for more than an hour, and he shared MANY Rush anecdotes, including the fact that Geddy played bass on a few kd lang demos.

So you're saying now I need to find those KD Lang demos?

Ben is the one who has them...

So they've not been released on a KD Lang deluxe edition or anything like that?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5253 on: May 23, 2021, 06:32:45 PM »
He also played guitar on Teddy's solo album. I did a career spanning interview with him last night. We spoke for more than an hour, and he shared MANY Rush anecdotes, including the fact that Geddy played bass on a few kd lang demos.

So you're saying now I need to find those KD Lang demos?

Ben is the one who has them...

So they've not been released on a KD Lang deluxe edition or anything like that?

Yes, they're in a vault somewhere...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5254 on: June 06, 2021, 08:48:36 PM »
Anyone see Geddy and Alex introduce the humanitarian award to The Tragically Hip at the Juno’s?

Geddy looks like Geddy....but Alex looked terrible. And a few people have said that he’s had some health issues lately.

I haven’t gotten over Neil yet, so I really hope Alex is OK.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5255 on: June 06, 2021, 10:41:55 PM »
Anyone see Geddy and Alex introduce the humanitarian award to The Tragically Hip at the Juno’s?

Geddy looks like Geddy....but Alex looked terrible. And a few people have said that he’s had some health issues lately.

I haven’t gotten over Neil yet, so I really hope Alex is OK.
Yeah, I've noticed he's been aging pretty poorly over the last 5 years. I feel like Geddy has looked the same for the last 25 years.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5256 on: June 06, 2021, 11:17:43 PM »
I thought he looked fine. He's 67. None of us are getting any younger, alas.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5257 on: June 06, 2021, 11:29:46 PM »

Well so is Geddy. But Alex looked…..not anything as spry as Geddy.

Alex didn’t look himself. Seriously. I hope it was just the flu or something.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5258 on: June 07, 2021, 03:23:47 AM »
"When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmm".  ;D
In all seriousness though, he looks allright at 67. I think he's got some good mileage left in his tank. Perhaps my biggest musical wish right now is that Geddy and Alex hit the studio and make a nice record.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 03:33:19 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5259 on: June 07, 2021, 07:01:11 AM »

How do you get that from them standing still talking?  If he had the flu he's sound worse.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #5260 on: June 07, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »

How do you get that from them standing still talking?  If he had the flu he's sound worse.

Here is the video. Alex is looking older (which he is), but he sounds normal to me, and I didn’t get the sense of poor health just from watching this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FG332oXeTjM&feature=youtu.be

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5261 on: June 07, 2021, 10:45:41 AM »
Other than starting to look a little bit too much like Chris Squire, I think he looks fine.   He doesn't read a teleprompter all that well, but that's not about his health.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5262 on: June 07, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »
His hair looks longer.  He looks the same really.  Guys, they haven't toured in 6 years.  they may look a little older but it's not jarring.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5263 on: June 07, 2021, 12:47:21 PM »
He looked and sounded fine to me.  More or less the same guy I saw on stage on August 1, 2015, with six more year (plus whatever multiplier you use for the last 15 months).  "Terrible" would be about the last word I'd use.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5264 on: June 07, 2021, 01:27:01 PM »
Blah blah blah, blah, blah blah blah. Blah.......blablahblah.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kram

« Reply #5265 on: June 07, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »
I think he looks fine.  He looks older (he is) and his hair is longer and "whiter" which is changing his look a bit - but he doesn't look sick to me at all.  And yes, Geddy looks the same - which I think adds to Alex looking "different", when you see them together, if that makes sense..

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5266 on: June 07, 2021, 01:52:09 PM »
I didn't put it in my post, but he DOES look thinner.   Again, that doesn't mean "sick", but it could lend itself to people thinking "different".

Offline HOF

« Reply #5267 on: June 15, 2021, 12:42:41 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5268 on: June 15, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »
I checked it out.  Very cool site.  2 new instrumental songs on their as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5269 on: June 15, 2021, 02:29:46 PM »
Bummer getting a 403 error trying to access the page.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5270 on: June 15, 2021, 03:06:00 PM »
Nice! Will check out those later at home for sure.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5271 on: June 15, 2021, 06:45:06 PM »
Very interesting songs, a bit experimental, but also very cool! Let's hope for a full album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5272 on: June 16, 2021, 12:58:27 AM »
Some sad news, Neil's father passed away on June 12 after a battle with cancer. Neil's sister Nancy posted this on her FB.

"On behalf of our Mother and all of our family members, The Peart Family would like to thank everyone for the expressions of sympathy for the passing of our very beloved Glen; husband, father, grandfather, & great grandfather. Thank you to Hospice Muskoka Andy's House staff for the wonderful care and facility. If anyone would like to donate to our charities in the Peart name, please see the links below. Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughts".

https://www.facebook.com/nancy.burkholder.1/posts/10158159626091845
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5273 on: June 19, 2021, 05:21:29 PM »
Some sad news, Neil's father passed away on June 12 after a battle with cancer. Neil's sister Nancy posted this on her FB.

"On behalf of our Mother and all of our family members, The Peart Family would like to thank everyone for the expressions of sympathy for the passing of our very beloved Glen; husband, father, grandfather, & great grandfather. Thank you to Hospice Muskoka Andy's House staff for the wonderful care and facility. If anyone would like to donate to our charities in the Peart name, please see the links below. Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughts".

https://www.facebook.com/nancy.burkholder.1/posts/10158159626091845

I suspect that's why Alex chose to release these when he did to try to spread some cheer and comfort. He's had these for a while. These may have been the bonus tracks Alex was talking about for his Victor vinyl release before the label mothballed it.

I'd love for him to release this as a Cd single (maybe for charity) Like the music a lot (It's so him) but I can't see myself regularly hopping on a computer whenever I want to listen to these.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5274 on: June 26, 2021, 09:27:53 PM »
I'll take a CD please....

From Rush Is A Band:

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2021/06/25/5620/Alex-Lifeson-has-recorded-10-new-songs-for-Envy-of-None-project-with-Andy-Curran-Maiah-Wynne

.. "Those two [instrumentals], 'Kabul Blues' and 'Spyhouse,' at this moment Maiah is singing over them, so they're [also] going to be part of the Envy of None project," ... Curran cautions that Envy of None is very different from the sound that Lifeson was known for in Rush. He described the songs he was sending to Lifeson as "trippy and dark" with "pop elements" mixed in. The guitarist quickly gravitated to what he heard. "I think there's a lot of Alex Lifeson in these. There's some beautiful guitar that he's played all over it - but full transparency, it's not Rush and it's not Coney Hatch [Curran's former band]," Curran says. "It's like, if you can picture maybe Massive Attack with a little bit of some electronic stuff with Nine Inch Nails influences, with this beautiful, fragile, sweet voice and some very, very dark heavy sounds. That's kind of what this project sounds like." Similar to his previous solo work outside of Rush on 1996's Victor, Lifeson was keen to really explore and push the limits. "He's gone out of his way to process and put cool things on his guitar that you're like, 'Wait a second, that doesn't sound like a guitar,'" Curran says. "I would say to him, 'What did you do there? This sounds like a violin' or 'This sounds like a keyboard!' He was like, 'Well, I put this, this and this on it and I flipped it backwards.' "He's having a real fun time manipulating those guitar sounds," Curran adds. "We spoke about heavy, heavy guitars and he said, 'There's only really two songs, Andy, that I feel need that crunch and oomph. I think he went out of his way to really scratch an itch that he hasn't played that way in Rush." ...I know Alex and I are both really proud of these songs and we want to share them with people." "We'll get it out one way or another," he assures. "People are going to hear this music."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5275 on: June 30, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »
Sign me up for that pre-order.

Spy House is so laid back. I enjoyed that one more than Kabul Blues, even this one was interesting as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5276 on: July 01, 2021, 10:27:19 AM »
Finally, here's my interview with Ben Mink, with tons of Rush information: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-ben-mink/

Online nick_z

« Reply #5277 on: July 05, 2021, 11:24:13 AM »
So, I've started reading Martin Popoff's Driven, the last installment of his Rush trilogy of books...there is an interesting quote from Geddy on Roll the Bones. It doesn't say exactly when that was, but the context around it suggests it's about looking back at the album with a couple decades' worth of perspective (meaning: this is not a statement right after the album came out).

Anyway - Geddy says if he had to pick five of the best Rush albums, "Roll the Bones would be one of them, absolutely."

I actually enjoy Roll the Bones...it's probably somewhere in the middle of my Rush album rankings (the strength of its best songs significantly outweighs some of the duds - and there are certainly a few of them  ;)). But I'd guess it's fair to say most fans would NOT put RtB solidly in their top 5. I always find it fascinating to read artists' view on their own body of work (again, more so when looking back at it with perspective, not when they are talking about their most recent release). In this case, it seems to be about them being satisfied with the songcraft and how they had matured as songwriters (if not so much about the actual sound of the album).

I imagine that's often why we as fans  have certain expectations/desires about our favorite bands going for certain sounds/styles, while in reality they have internally moved on from them...not necessarily for "commercial" reasons, but because they are genuinely interested in something different. Not saying that's always the case. But I'd think this is often true, especially for bands with long - and eclectic! - histories, like Rush was.

What I really loved about the way Rush ended things (both with their last album and the R40 tour), though, is that they sort of came full circle and sincerely seemed to embrace all of the different facets of who they were. It wasn't just a "nostalgia-filled" trip (although surely there was some of that too), but mostly a joyous celebration of all things that made them "Rush".

I miss them  :'(

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5278 on: July 05, 2021, 12:05:52 PM »
The thing about RTB is that it has a few weak tracks, which for some fans, is all they think of. But it has three of the biggest concert staples of their career( Dreamline, Bravado, RTB). The band probably thinks about those songs mainly when talking about the album. On top of those three you another great song with Ghost of a Chance, a decent instrumental, and two pretty good songs; The Big Wheel and Heresy. Commercially the album was a hit as well. So yeah…they should be proud of it. I think it’s a great album and a great mix of what they did in the 80s and what they were moving toward. For me they didn’t make a better album until Clockwork Angels.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline HOF

« Reply #5279 on: July 05, 2021, 12:37:46 PM »
The thing about RTB is that it has a few weak tracks, which for some fans, is all they think of. But it has three of the biggest concert staples of their career( Dreamline, Bravado, RTB). The band probably thinks about those songs mainly when talking about the album. On top of those three you another great song with Ghost of a Chance, a decent instrumental, and two pretty good songs; The Big Wheel and Heresy. Commercially the album was a hit as well. So yeah…they should be proud of it. I think it’s a great album and a great mix of what they did in the 80s and what they were moving toward. For me they didn’t make a better album until Clockwork Angels.

Yeah, I can see why he likes it. There are some really strong, classic Rush tracks on it. It’s just a bit unbalanced. But Dreamline, Bravado, Roll the Bones, and Ghost of a Chance are all great tracks.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5280 on: July 05, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »
I equate RTB to the self-titled Genesis album from 1983.  The first side is classic. Concert staples, hits, fan faves. Mike Rutherford has said that it’s his favorite Genesis record. That one side is so good, it doesn’t really matter that the second side is pretty much forgettable to most fans. Now myself, and a lot of others like those tunes. But that’s not really the point.
Can't we find the minds

Offline HOF

« Reply #5281 on: July 05, 2021, 01:18:59 PM »
I equate RTB to the self-titled Genesis album from 1983.  The first side is classic. Concert staples, hits, fan faves. Mike Rutherford has said that it’s his favorite Genesis record. That one side is so good, it doesn’t really matter that the second side is pretty much forgettable to most fans. Now myself, and a lot of others like those tunes. But that’s not really the point.

Yeah, decent analogy, though I also like the second half of Genesis (moreso than the weak points on RTB), but your point stands.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5282 on: July 05, 2021, 01:37:19 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5283 on: July 05, 2021, 01:57:58 PM »

I imagine that's often why we as fans  have certain expectations/desires about our favorite bands going for certain sounds/styles, while in reality they have internally moved on from them...not necessarily for "commercial" reasons, but because they are genuinely interested in something different. Not saying that's always the case. But I'd think this is often true, especially for bands with long - and eclectic! - histories, like Rush was.

This caught my interest, as I too feel fans have expectations/desires from bands that are sometimes not what the band actually wants to do anymore.

Fans tend to have preconceived notions on bands. When these are not met, you get defensive fans saying things almost as if the band has forsaken them, almost to point of considering the bands new album as sacrilege. These preconceived notions and expectations are formed by the songs/albums we are first introduced to by the band that drew us into the band.

The bands are musicians whom just want to create and play music. The musicians end up being forced into a certain style by the fans, and may end up desiring something different, as a musician can get tired of creating the same style. It creates a reason for a musician to leave the band, as he wants to do something different and experiment when the other guys are fine where they are, so he leaves due to "creative differences" and forms a brand new band. It also happens vice-versa with the band wanting to experiment and do something different, while the musician wants to keep on with that style and leaves the band to form a new band with that same consistent style.

Rush is a band that has proven to us, they were able to find compromises with their creations, and were in agreement with their styles at the time. To where the musician themselves view an album some fans consider sacrilege as one of their favorites of the band. Which is fascinating information to know.

But this proves those fans as a minority, as the fact it was commercially a hit, and those songs are constant in the set-lists, says a lot of how it's viewed by not only the fans, but the casual listeners of Rush.

Roll The Bones, I actually liked that song when I first heard it on R30, and also because of the cool video of the skeleton doing the rapping part.  :lol  For me, the album suffers from the production that is just a product of it's time. If it were to have the production of say, Counterparts, it'd be a great album sonically. I enjoy these songs on this album live, and I like what they did in Rush in Rio by going from The Pass into Bravado. Also though, that synth is the quintessential 80's synth, which reminds me of the synth in the Labyrinth song "Dance Magic Dance", and also "Ghostbusters".  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5284 on: July 05, 2021, 02:12:59 PM »
I was more or less referring to why the band might like it a lot. 
Can't we find the minds