Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 495384 times)

Online Lupton

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5110 on: February 26, 2021, 01:57:59 PM »
I’d like to show some random love and appreciation for Digital Man. Such an underrated song and definitely my favorite from Signals ❤️🤘

LOVE Digital Man. One of my favorite tunes from my favorite Rush album. It seems that Terry Brown was not a fan of this song and this was a point of disagreement with the band. Always wondered if this was one of the reasons (among others) that Signals would be the last record that Terry would produce for Rush?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5111 on: February 26, 2021, 02:38:34 PM »
I’d like to show some random love and appreciation for Digital Man. Such an underrated song and definitely my favorite from Signals ❤️🤘
Probably took me 20 years, but I LOVE that song.  The whole first side is awesome (yes, even Chemistry)!
So is side two!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTA

« Reply #5112 on: February 26, 2021, 02:55:23 PM »

LOVE Digital Man. One of my favorite tunes from my favorite Rush album. It seems that Terry Brown was not a fan of this song and this was a point of disagreement with the band. Always wondered if this was one of the reasons (among others) that Signals would be the last record that Terry would produce for Rush?

If I recall correctly, he had an issue with the plodding chorus section and I do believe that disagreement was the catalyst for them realizing Broon might be holding them back. Oddly enough, the band edited the first chorus out on the S&A tour so maybe they agree with him in hindsight.

Great song, with an insanely cool bassline and a lot of fun fills from Neil.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5113 on: February 26, 2021, 03:02:41 PM »
Anyone know the exact sources (date and location) for the bonus tracks on the R30 DVD, specifically:
- "Circumstances" (I have one source that puts this at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1979)
- "La Villa Strangiato" (I have one source that puts this at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1979)
- "A Farewell to Kings" - (I have a couple sources that put this at Seneca College Theatre in 1977)
- "Xanadu"  - (I have a couple sources that put this at Seneca College Theatre in 1977)

Also, what do we know about the "Church Sessions" (the two videos with the church background)? 

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 03:13:46 PM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5114 on: February 26, 2021, 03:34:23 PM »
Probably took me 20 years, but I LOVE that song.  The whole first side is awesome (yes, even Chemistry)!
So is side two!

You had to go there....  Losing It and Countdown are fantastic, and New World Man is ok.  The Weapon.... not on the same level as side 2 of PoW or almost all of HYF, but it's not all that good.

Anyone know the exact sources (date and location) for the bonus tracks on the R30 DVD, specifically:
- "Circumstances" (I have one source that puts this at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1979)
- "La Villa Strangiato" (I have one source that puts this at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1979)
- "A Farewell to Kings" - (I have a couple sources that put this at Seneca College Theatre in 1977)
- "Xanadu"  - (I have a couple sources that put this at Seneca College Theatre in 1977)

Also, what do we know about the "Church Sessions" (the two videos with the church background)? 

Thanks in advance!

Need to watch that "bonus" disc again.  If the Circumstances and LVS videos are the ones I think they are, they were originally on the Chronicles VHS released back in 1990.  That doesn't serve to answer your question, though.  The information you have on AFTK and Xanadu (which I think were also on Chronicles) is consistent with what's on the Wikipedia page for R30.  As for the "church session" videos, I'm not sure that there's anything more to it than that they got permission to set up in a church and shoot some videos.  Here's a google link to a book that opines about what's going on, but I don't know what the source is or whether it's credible:  https://books.google.com/books?id=9tCGDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT75&lpg=PT75&dq=rush+church+sessions+videos+fly+by+night&source=bl&ots=MOZ4sfxfpg&sig=ACfU3U3LQDTqjXELUs0LTTdrqni67eQk4w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiGt7KJzYjvAhUQLKwKHWG_ALYQ6AEwD3oECHQQAw#v=onepage&q=rush%20church%20sessions%20videos%20fly%20by%20night&f=false

If you scroll up and down, you can read more about other videos.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5115 on: February 26, 2021, 06:28:27 PM »
So is side two!
You had to go there....  Losing It and Countdown are fantastic, and New World Man is ok.  The Weapon.... not on the same level as side 2 of PoW or almost all of HYF, but it's not all that good.
Guess we'll have to disagree on that - I love The Weapon and NWMis a great little catchy song.

Thanks in advance!
As for the "church session" videos, I'm not sure that there's anything more to it than that they got permission to set up in a church and shoot some videos.
I just saw or read an interview I think Geddy did talking about those - wish I could remember where. Anyway, IIRC, I think it was at a venue that they were playing at - either a high school or university. Backstage there was this castle set up and I believe they got permission to shoot videos there and more or less make it look like it was their own set.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5116 on: February 26, 2021, 07:22:42 PM »
The Weapon (and especially the live version with Count Floyd) is my favorite song from Signals, and top 5 of the 80s.

Ok...maybe top 7. Most of Power Windows knocks several things down a few notches.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5117 on: February 26, 2021, 08:22:35 PM »
The Weapon was my favorite song from Signals for a pretty long time.  I now slightly prefer Subdivisions, but it's still a 1a and 1b situation.

I would say New World Man and Countdown are definitely the weakest links of that album, but I still like both.

Online HOF

« Reply #5118 on: February 26, 2021, 08:27:43 PM »
The Weapon is pretty easily my least favorite song on Signals and the only one I might skip. It’s not bad, but I don’t care for the lyric or the sort of monotone vocal melody.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5119 on: February 26, 2021, 08:36:11 PM »
The Weapon was my favorite song from Signals for a pretty long time.  I now slightly prefer Subdivisions, but it's still a 1a and 1b situation.

I would say New World Man and Countdown are definitely the weakest links of that album, but I still like both.

It's hard to even count Countdown as an actual song. To me Chemistry is easily the worst song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5120 on: February 26, 2021, 08:36:49 PM »
The Weapon is pretty easily my least favorite song on Signals and the only one I might skip. It’s not bad, but I don’t care for the lyric or the sort of monotone vocal melody.

Don’t like the lyrics? That just blows my mind.

I quote those all the time.

“Like a steely blade in a sunken sheath
We don’t see what they’re made of
They shout about love
But when push comes to shove
They live for things they’re afraid love.”

That’s NP gold right there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5121 on: February 26, 2021, 08:39:27 PM »
  To me Chemistry is easily the worst song.

The vocal melodies definitely feel a bit awkward at times, but that song is so strong musically than I can forgive the rest.  The intro and outro are both so damn good.  I always say that that one could have been a killer instrumental had they gone that route with it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5122 on: February 26, 2021, 08:49:53 PM »
You're not going to make me have to actually listen to it are you?

Dammit Kev!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #5123 on: February 26, 2021, 09:22:24 PM »
  To me Chemistry is easily the worst song.

The vocal melodies definitely feel a bit awkward at times, but that song is so strong musically than I can forgive the rest.  The intro and outro are both so damn good.  I always say that that one could have been a killer instrumental had they gone that route with it.

Yeah, I love Chemistry. It’s quirky but has a certain charm. It’s also got those big bass pedals.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 09:28:45 PM by HOF »

Online HOF

« Reply #5124 on: February 26, 2021, 09:23:27 PM »

They shout about love

Part of it is I used to think he was saying “he’s a lot more afraid of your lion” which just sounds silly. I will say the instrumental section is really cool.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5125 on: February 26, 2021, 09:35:33 PM »

They shout about love

Part of it is I used to think he was saying “he’s a lot more afraid of your lion” which just sounds silly. I will say the instrumental section is really cool.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

But that would be like hating Purple Haze because you ACTUALLY thought Jimi said “Kiss this guy”

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5126 on: February 27, 2021, 12:09:25 AM »

They shout about love

Wouldn't you be afraid if he had a lion?  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Lupton

« Reply #5127 on: February 27, 2021, 02:41:18 AM »
I think He's referring to the band Lion

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5128 on: February 27, 2021, 07:59:44 AM »
The string of albums from 2112 thru Signals was Rush's strongest period of musical achievement.  Signals for me is as perfect album from start to finish. I love the "call/response" of the Analog Kid vs. Digital Man. I LOVE the solo on the Weapon and the way Alex transitions guitar chaos to guitar solo gold. And Countdown perfectly captures the emotion of the shuttle launch and NASA radio chatter perfectly adds to the music Pure goosebumps!!

One thing I found interesting is that recording was incredibly clean. I'm not talking sonics but the actual recording output. I have this memory of setting the needle on side 2, hearing NWM and thinking just how clean that sounds. It's hard to describe.

Signals is  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5129 on: February 27, 2021, 08:23:05 AM »
As far as I’m concerned Rush did not have a single “skip track” from Rush to Power Windows. Hold Your Fire was the first Rush album that I distinctly remember skipping tracks from.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 11:16:57 AM by jammindude »

Online HOF

« Reply #5130 on: February 27, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
Well I listened to Signals twice last night and today, so naturally I’m on to Grace Under Pressure. Will never not get sucked in by the intro to Distant Early Warning.

Online HOF

« Reply #5131 on: February 27, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
Well I listened to Signals twice last night and today, so naturally I’m on to Grace Under Pressure. Will never not get sucked in by the intro to Distant Early Warning.

After the cold, raw angst of Grace Under Pressure, now onto the bright, exuberant Power Windows, which bursts through your speakers like the pilot of Ebola Gay flying out of the shockwave on that August day!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5132 on: February 27, 2021, 11:53:39 AM »

After the cold, raw angst of Grace Under Pressure, now onto the bright, exuberant Power Windows, which bursts through your speakers like the pilot of Ebola Gay flying out of the shockwave on that August day!

I think Ebola Gay is when RuPaul caught the ebola virus. On the Rush lyrics it's ENOLA Gay.

Online HOF

« Reply #5133 on: February 27, 2021, 12:12:11 PM »

I think Ebola Gay is when RuPaul caught the ebola virus. On the Rush lyrics it's ENOLA Gay.

Oh, woops! Blaming autocorrect for that one. So much for waxing eloquent!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5134 on: February 27, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »
Signals is fantastic. I think the reason it ranks up very high on my list is because I love the obscure tracks as much as the hits. Countdown and Chemistry are among my very favorites on it.

Offline DTA

« Reply #5135 on: February 27, 2021, 01:04:58 PM »
Signals is fantastic. I think the reason it ranks up very high on my list is because I love the obscure tracks as much as the hits. Countdown and Chemistry are among my very favorites on it.

Same. Those two went from being my least favorites to being two of my favorite Rush songs through their entire catalog.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5136 on: February 27, 2021, 01:55:35 PM »
Signals has two of my favorite Rush songs: Subdivisions and losing it

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5137 on: February 27, 2021, 02:06:26 PM »
Signals has two of my favorite Rush songs: Subdivisions and losing it

Loved Losing It live on R40 - what a treat and I loved the bass Geddy used on it. What deep and rich, punchy sound! It made me wish he used different basses over the course of his career when touring like Alex used different guitars during the shows. I think he fell into a rut with the Fender bass.

And then he went through the house PA for his bass. I always thought that it deterred from the live sound.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5138 on: February 27, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »

They shout about love

*things they're afraid of.

That's an awesome mondegreen!

My Signals ranking:

1. The Analog Kid
2. Digital Man
3. Subdivisions
4. Countdown
5. Losing It

6. Chemistry

7. New World Man

8. The Weapon

The margins between those top 5 songs are razor thin, and the rankings could be subject to change on a regular basis.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5139 on: February 27, 2021, 08:49:52 PM »
Signals is one of my top Rush albums; not a bad song on it, and one of the albums I go to frequently.  It's odd; I think Hemispheres is their best, and it's a top five record for me, but I listen to AFTK and Signals way more. 

My top five:
Hemispheres
A Farewell To Kings
Signals
Moving Pictures
Presto

My Signals ranking:
Subdivisions
The Analog Kid
New World Man
Losing It
The Weapon
Digital Man
Countdown
Chemistry

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5140 on: February 27, 2021, 10:53:46 PM »

They shout about love

*things they're afraid of.

I can’t believe I didn’t notice that when I posted it.

:facepalm:

I actually do know the correct lyric....that was just a stupid spellcheck error.

[

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5141 on: February 28, 2021, 09:38:19 AM »

Thanks in advance!

Bad form to quote oneself, but here you go! 

I believe, from my own subjective A/B-ing of the songs, that "A Farewell to Kings" and "Xanadu" (that some have put at Seneca College Theatre in 1977), as well as at least "Fly By Night" from the Church Sessions are just the studio track over video footage.

Since I'm only interested in the audio (ripping it to my network drive) that only leaves "Circumstances" and "La Villa Strangiato" (that some have put at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1979) as different than the studio version.  They ARE different, too; the "classical" intro to LVS is played on electric guitar on this version, and the guitars behind the verse are slightly different.  Perhaps soundcheck, though "Circumstances" wasn't played in Europe on that tour, only in America (doesn't mean they couldn't soundcheck it, though).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5142 on: February 28, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »
I believe, from my own subjective A/B-ing of the songs, that "A Farewell to Kings" and "Xanadu" (that some have put at Seneca College Theatre in 1977), as well as at least "Fly By Night" from the Church Sessions are just the studio track over video footage.

Not sure about AFTK and Xanadu, but I know that for sure about the "church session" videos.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5143 on: February 28, 2021, 01:08:47 PM »
So...I'm watching the second disco of the R30 video, and there's an interview of Geddy, Alex & Neil from some sort of "artist of the decade" thing from 1990.  You don't hear any of the questions asked -- just the band members responding -- and at one point Alex says the following:

"There are bands -- a few bands -- Dream Theater is an example of a fairly young band that's writing in a style that pushes their musical abilities to the furthest point and they...there are a number of bands like that are like that that have said that we've influenced them that way, and that's certainly satisfying to know that there are still a lot of young musicians that really want to go out there and just be great musicians."

I'm not sure if I watched this when I first got these DVDs, but I certainly don't remember that content.  Kinda wild that, in 1990, with only WDADU having been released, Alex knew about DT!

Online HOF

« Reply #5144 on: February 28, 2021, 01:33:51 PM »
So...I'm watching the second disco of the R30 video, and there's an interview of Geddy, Alex & Neil from some sort of "artist of the decade" thing from 1990.  You don't hear any of the questions asked -- just the band members responding -- and at one point Alex says the following:

"There are bands -- a few bands -- Dream Theater is an example of a fairly young band that's writing in a style that pushes their musical abilities to the furthest point and they...there are a number of bands like that are like that that have said that we've influenced them that way, and that's certainly satisfying to know that there are still a lot of young musicians that really want to go out there and just be great musicians."

I'm not sure if I watched this when I first got these DVDs, but I certainly don't remember that content.  Kinda wild that, in 1990, with only WDADU having been released, Alex knew about DT!

I remember seeing this at the time R30 came out and thinking “how in the world had Rush even heard of Dream Theater at that point?”