Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497527 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #5005 on: December 31, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »
That is perfect! But his death was still a gut-punch!  :(

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5006 on: December 31, 2020, 12:57:57 PM »
Yep. We should have known the year was going to suck the way it had started.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5007 on: December 31, 2020, 12:59:24 PM »
So I saw a God 31 times in person.  One time I saw him levitate on a bicycle right by me in Maine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5008 on: December 31, 2020, 03:51:57 PM »
Even my kid... she was like 17, and I was watching Tom Sawyer on R30 and she walked by and stopped to watch.   Pretty much says it all to me. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5009 on: December 31, 2020, 06:17:00 PM »
Generally not a fan of deifying anyone, but have no issues with that. And would have been nice to see him be described as "Rush Drummer and Lyricist."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5011 on: January 16, 2021, 09:40:56 PM »
So...I ordered the "lost tour books" collection from the Rush merch site.  They're pretty cool.  Good quality.  A lot of pictures I don't think I've ever seen and some I have seen (oddly, there's a picture from the inside of Caress of Steel prominently featured in the tour book for the first album).  They're nicely done, although the $75 price is pretty steep.  I also got a really cool Vapor Trails t-shirt.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5012 on: January 16, 2021, 10:09:15 PM »
So...I ordered the "lost tour books" collection from the Rush merch site.  They're pretty cool.  Good quality.  A lot of pictures I don't think I've ever seen and some I have seen (oddly, there's a picture from the inside of Caress of Steel prominently featured in the tour book for the first album).  They're nicely done, although the $75 price is pretty steep.  I also got a really cool Vapor Trails t-shirt.

I passed on this. While it would have been cool to read the essays (Neil didn't do them)  I guess at just 16 pages each they are kind of commemorative and hard to justify when their more recent tourbooks have almost as many pages as those three combined at a third of the price.  As a purist, I need to have Geddy, Alex and Neil involved in writing out their equipment lists and providing a bit more value.

That said, I'm a little surprised these haven't sold out already.

I suppose I'll consider my Rush tourbook collection complete when I manage to find an original 2112 program and the UK A Farewell To Kings program.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5013 on: January 17, 2021, 08:17:22 AM »
I own every tourbook from GUP on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5014 on: January 17, 2021, 11:26:15 AM »
My brother had a GUP one; it was pretty cool if memory serves.  For all I bag on that record, that cover is one of my favorites of all time by any band, and the artwork is consistent with that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5015 on: January 17, 2021, 05:48:23 PM »
I now have (in addition to the three mentioned):

A Farewell to Kings (I recall it being a freebie with something I ordered from the Backstage Club back in the 80s)
Moving Pictures (don't remember when or why I got it, but it was after the fact)
Signals (I think this one was free for joining the Backstage Club)
GUP, Power Windows, Presto, Time Machine and R40 (All bought at the concerts)

For those tours where I didn't buy programs, it was mostly because I didn't want to deal with keeping track of them and keeping them safe from some nearby yahoo's spilled beer.

Maybe I'll work on filling out the collection.

My brother had a GUP one; it was pretty cool if memory serves.

It's ok.  Nothing particularly special.  Not even a crossword puzzle like they had in the MP and Signals programs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5016 on: January 17, 2021, 06:00:28 PM »

For those tours where I didn't buy programs, it was mostly because I didn't want to deal with keeping track of them and keeping them safe from some nearby yahoo's spilled beer.

This reminds me of the show I saw in Reno on the R30 tour. Some guy near me kept going to get a cup of beer every time he finished drinking it. So about halfway through the show I see him coming back trying to juggle 4 beers getting back to his seats. Well he was so hammered that he tripped coming up the steps and beer went everywhere.

This was also the show where some idiot rushed (no pun intended, maybe...) the stage right after the show ended and a security guard absolutely leveled him right as he set foot on stage. Great show!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5017 on: January 17, 2021, 06:07:35 PM »
I used to have a Moving Pictures program book, souvenir from a rather eventful evening, but I lent it to a friend, and he lost it.  He felt really bad about it, he was trying to be very careful with it, but when he went to grab it to return it to me, he couldn't find it.  He said he literally searched his entire bedroom floor to ceiling (this was back when we were all living at home) and couldn't find it.  I believe him.  He was always a straight-up guy, and there were no hard feelings.  To be honest, some of his other friends were assholes, and I suspect one of them actually stole it.  Anyway, he gave me something to make up for it, but I can't remember now what it was.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5018 on: January 17, 2021, 06:25:42 PM »

A Farewell to Kings (I recall it being a freebie with something I ordered from the Backstage Club back in the 80s)
Moving Pictures (don't remember when or why I got it, but it was after the fact)

It's ok.  Nothing particularly special.  Not even a crossword puzzle like they had in the MP and Signals programs.

Funny story.  I had drunk asshole behind me that spilled his beer on my tourbook.   I turned around and told him he ruined my tourbook and he owed me $20. 

He told me to fuck off and asked what would I do about it?  So I punched him right between the eyes, took his wallet from his pocket while he was seeing stars and threw his wallet back at him.

His friends apologized and took him away.  I bought a new tourbook.   I expected security to come but they didn't.   I still have the beer soak tourbook as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5019 on: January 17, 2021, 06:31:58 PM »
You do what'cha gotta do.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5020 on: January 17, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »
I was so upset it was just a reaction.   I'm glad his friends were smarter than I.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5021 on: January 30, 2021, 06:15:12 PM »

Funny story.  I had drunk asshole behind me that spilled his beer on my tourbook.   I turned around and told him he ruined my tourbook and he owed me $20. 

He told me to fuck off and asked what would I do about it?  So I punched him right between the eyes, took his wallet from his pocket while he was seeing stars and threw his wallet back at him.

His friends apologized and took him away.  I bought a new tourbook.   I expected security to come but they didn't.   I still have the beer soak tourbook as well.

Probably mentioned this before but I made the mistake of putting my Power Windows program under my seat then the show started. Big move as the beer was flowing on the floor and the back cover of it got a little stained. Still have it though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5022 on: January 30, 2021, 07:56:53 PM »
That guy was so drunk and such an ass. I was so upset that I let my emotions get the best of me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5023 on: January 31, 2021, 06:57:28 PM »
Brand new virtual interview with Alex!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOdzTH1qWQ

It's about 80 minutes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5024 on: January 31, 2021, 10:25:19 PM »
Ok. I’ve been a Rush fan for almost 40 years now. How is it I’ve never heard this before? Did you guys know about this?

Attention all planets of the the solar federation! (7 words)

Total words - 21

We have assumed control! (4 words)

Total words - 12

Mind..... blown
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5025 on: February 01, 2021, 06:09:36 AM »

It's about 80 minutes.
Watched that earlier today.  I'm not  gonna give any spoilers but he had some positive things to say about future plans. Alex is just an all around great guy!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5026 on: February 01, 2021, 08:33:18 AM »
Ok. I’ve been a Rush fan for almost 40 years now. How is it I’ve never heard this before? Did you guys know about this?

Total words - 21

Total words - 12

Mind..... blown

What the holy motherfucing!??   :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

That's freakin nuts!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5027 on: February 01, 2021, 08:41:53 AM »

Total words - 21

Total words - 12

Mind..... blown

Yes... I'm fairly certain I would've seen it here at DTF.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5028 on: February 01, 2021, 09:54:14 AM »

Total words - 21

Total words - 12

Mind..... blown

I learned about this when I first started getting into Rush nearly 20 years ago. It's a neat Easter egg for sure. Neil definitely knew what he was doing!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #5029 on: February 01, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »
Teh nuggetZ!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5030 on: February 01, 2021, 10:18:13 AM »
 A friend of mine never noticed the clock on the Clockwork Angels was stopped at 21:12 until recently!!!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5031 on: February 01, 2021, 10:18:30 AM »
I have also read about this on DTF years ago and was pretty impressed.  ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5032 on: February 01, 2021, 03:20:13 PM »

It's about 80 minutes.
Watched that earlier today.  I'm not  gonna give any spoilers but he had some positive things to say about future plans. Alex is just an all around great guy!  :tup

Yep, still my all-time favorite musician. :hat :hat

Touring will never happen again, as he said that he doesn't want to do it anymore at his age, which I think most us knew anyway, but he didn't rule out a one-off at some point.  I think it would be cool if he and Geddy both made an appearance once they can eventually do the Neil tribute show, the one that was delayed due to COVID.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5033 on: February 01, 2021, 07:26:15 PM »

Total words - 21

Total words - 12

Mind..... blown
I've been a Rush fan for over 30 years now and I never knew this either, but that is super cool! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5034 on: February 01, 2021, 10:37:42 PM »
Here's a random question; All The World's A Stage is drawn from three shows at Massey Hall, June 11, 12 and 13, 1976.  One of the setlist on setlist.fm has a slightly different order than the album, the other two are identical to the album.

Does anyone know which songs come from which night?  Including the two outtakes from the 40th Anniversary version of 2112?

Does anyone know which setlist is right? I'm assuming the one that is not the order of the album, as they likely had to shuffle songs to fit four album sides. 

TIA

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5035 on: February 01, 2021, 10:53:59 PM »
Here's a random question; All The World's A Stage is drawn from three shows at Massey Hall, June 11, 12 and 13, 1976.  One of the setlist on setlist.fm has a slightly different order than the album, the other two are identical to the album.

Does anyone know which songs come from which night?  Including the two outtakes from the 40th Anniversary version of 2112?

Does anyone know which setlist is right? I'm assuming the one that is not the order of the album, as they likely had to shuffle songs to fit four album sides. 

TIA

Okay, after checking a few sources, I believe the set list for for tour was this:
Bastille Day
Anthem
Lakeside Park
2112 (minus Oracle)
Fly By Night
In The Mood
Something For Nothing
By-Tor And The Snow Dog
In The End
Working Man
Finding My Way
Drum Solo
Encore: What You're Doing

It comes from a
May 30th soundboard recording
, and seems consistent with the setlist.fm listing for the June 11th show. It seems like that "2112" was moved from fourth place to later in the album to better facilitate the album's vinyl sides.
I wish they would have restored the original running order when the album came out on CD (and they added back "What You're Doing"), but probably preferred to use the vinyl order since that's what fans have come to know and love all those years ago.

Personally, I remixed my CD to reflect the set shown above. I don't believe the tour had any setlist changes, but so few boots exist of that tour that it is hard to know for sure.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #5036 on: February 02, 2021, 04:58:54 AM »
I wonder what they did with the extra 2 minutes of saved time from omitting The Oracle for all those years. Truly one of the most baffling decisions they ever made

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5037 on: February 02, 2021, 05:43:26 AM »
I wonder what they did with the extra 2 minutes of saved time from omitting The Oracle for all those years. Truly one of the most baffling decisions they ever made

90% of Discovery was also cut, so it was more like 4-5 minutes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DTA

« Reply #5038 on: February 02, 2021, 06:38:52 AM »

90% of Discovery was also cut, so it was more like 4-5 minutes.

You’d think they would’ve cut an older song rather than cut out segments of their brand new epic from their newest album. A lot of their setlist decisions pre-TFE always seemed odd to me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5039 on: February 02, 2021, 07:03:25 AM »

A good guess was that it was too high to sing even with the drop tuning for Geddy every night.