Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497833 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4445 on: February 20, 2020, 07:36:56 AM »
I don't know; I admire Rush for the same reasons I admire my parents (married for 55 years and still going strong) and bands like ZZ Top.  But that doesn't mean that other bands are bad; I learned long ago (1982, to be exact) that all bands aren't - and don't have to be - friends and buddy buddy to make good music.  In fact, for some people, it's the conflict and drama that brings out their best work.   Some people need the fire lit under their ass. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4446 on: February 20, 2020, 08:38:49 AM »
Just scored tix for the Primus show in Chicago. Will be my first time seeing them. Can't wait!

I don't know much about Primus at all.  But my impression of the vocals was that they were more tongue in cheek.  Not sure how that's all going to sound when they're trying to do Rush.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4447 on: February 20, 2020, 08:44:48 AM »
Just scored tix for the Primus show in Chicago. Will be my first time seeing them. Can't wait!

I don't know much about Primus at all.  But my impression of the vocals was that they were more tongue in cheek.  Not sure how that's all going to sound when they're trying to do Rush.

It might just be me, but Les has a way of making the vocals work; his singing on the cover of "Animals" is anything but "tongue-in-cheek".    Same withe the CLD cover of "In The Court Of The Crimson King".   

Offline Bentower

« Reply #4448 on: February 20, 2020, 09:01:39 AM »
Les has a lot of his range since Primus' heyday so it'll be interesting to see what he does with those vocal parts. Musically, the band ought to do the album justice. Hopefully there'll be some sort of pro-shot footage from this tour for us on the other continents.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4449 on: February 20, 2020, 09:46:31 AM »
Les Claypool playing The Spirit of Radio in 2012.

https://youtu.be/taS06rvN8gk

A Farewell to Kings may sound like this. I hope he sings it better with more power. The vocals sound weak in this cover, even though the band is fantastic, that Cello player is the best thing from this cover. Also, the reggae section sounds way better in this cover.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4450 on: February 20, 2020, 09:55:24 AM »

A Farewell to Kings may sound like this. I hope he sings it better with more power. The vocals sound weak in this cover, even though the band is fantastic, that Cello player is the best thing from this cover. Also, the reggae section sounds way better in this cover.

I only watched the first couple minutes and wasn't able to play it very loud.  The music sounded fine for what it was, but the singing was beyond lackluster.  Were the cello and marimba players wearing half-masks?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4451 on: February 20, 2020, 10:32:28 AM »

Love this comment:  "Now what I REALLY want to hear is Rush's cover version of "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" !!!"

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4452 on: February 20, 2020, 11:29:29 AM »
Wanted to go get Primus tickets.  Saw that they had a presale for the LA show yesterday at their website for $42.00 for the cheap seats.  Opted to wait just in case it gets listed on Groupon for cheap.  Hasn't shown up on Groupon, Tickets on Ticketmaster is like $50.00 for the absolute worst views, $72.00 for a far back seat with a better view, and now I looked today on their website and the $42.00 tickets are gone.

Welp.  Guess I have to either pass or wait to see if Stubhub has a good view for a ticket less than $50.00.  Not likely, but it can happen.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4453 on: February 20, 2020, 12:21:07 PM »
Wanted to go get Primus tickets.  Saw that they had a presale for the LA show yesterday at their website for $42.00 for the cheap seats.  Opted to wait just in case it gets listed on Groupon for cheap.  Hasn't shown up on Groupon, Tickets on Ticketmaster is like $50.00 for the absolute worst views, $72.00 for a far back seat with a better view, and now I looked today on their website and the $42.00 tickets are gone.

Welp.  Guess I have to either pass or wait to see if Stubhub has a good view for a ticket less than $50.00.  Not likely, but it can happen.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I don't think there's a bad seat at the Greek Theatre.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4454 on: February 20, 2020, 12:56:39 PM »
All right, I'm re-looking at the seating chart, the far right and left sections of Terrace C doesn't look completely bad in terms of view.  I just don't know if I want to pay the $50.00 for it now or wait for cheaper and better seats.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4455 on: February 20, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
I plan on catching the tour in Berkley if I can. I'm not a huge Primus fan, but I do appreciate them, and playing A Farewell to Kings? I'm so there.  :hefdaddy

Edit - WTF are promoters thinking with those ticket prices?! I'll be waiting and seeing what's on the secondary market. Christ. LOL
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4456 on: February 20, 2020, 01:35:09 PM »
I plan on catching the tour in Berkley if I can. I'm not a huge Primus fan, but I do appreciate them, and playing A Farewell to Kings? I'm so there.  :hefdaddy

Edit - WTF are promoters thinking with those ticket prices?! I'll be waiting and seeing what's on the secondary market. Christ. LOL

Maybe promoters pry on the fact that because Rush's final tour was in 2015 and some people never got to see them (like me), they are pushing Primus playing A Farewell to Kings as a way to justify the ticket prices.  Don't think I would be lucky to see a ticket on Groupon for less than $20.00 like I did when I saw Coheed and Cambria/Mastodon as the same venue last year.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4457 on: February 20, 2020, 02:16:10 PM »

I don't think I could make it through a whole set of that.  I think it's awesome that he's such a Rush fan but, speaking for myself only, those vocals are hard to take.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4458 on: February 20, 2020, 08:12:50 PM »
I couldn't make it through 30 seconds of that.

What the heck was up with those masks?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4459 on: February 27, 2020, 06:02:12 PM »
I saw Primus on the Sailing The Sea Of Cheese and Tales From The Punchbowl tours. I was into them so for me, both were great shows.

I wish I could have seen Primus open For Rush.

Got Stuck with Vinnie Moore, Mr. Big and Candlebox  for the 6 Roll The Bones and Counterparts shows.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4460 on: February 27, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »
I don't know; I admire Rush for the same reasons I admire my parents (married for 55 years and still going strong) and bands like ZZ Top.  But that doesn't mean that other bands are bad; I learned long ago (1982, to be exact) that all bands aren't - and don't have to be - friends and buddy buddy to make good music.  In fact, for some people, it's the conflict and drama that brings out their best work.   Some people need the fire lit under their ass.

One of the reasons I love King Crimson and The Police.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4461 on: February 27, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »
I saw Primus on the Sailing The Sea Of Cheese and Tales From The Punchbowl tours. I was into them so for me, both were great shows.

Got Stuck with Vinnie Moore, Mr. Big and Candlebox  for the 6 Roll The Bones and Counterparts shows.

Vinnie Moore was cool. Mr Big was nothing but a musical cock tease, and Candlebox blew.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4462 on: February 27, 2020, 07:35:53 PM »

I never got to see Primus open for Rush.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4463 on: February 28, 2020, 04:40:14 PM »
I got to see Primus open for Rush. :biggrin:  Was like in the 12th row in front of stage right. My brother, was a big Primus fan at the time, but not really a fan of Rush stood up on his chair and yelled out in between songs: "Primus sucks!!". Les heard him and gave him one of his classic finger pointing hand signals. He seemed very pleased to hear some support! However, the surrounding crowd, who were all big Rush fans, all gave my brother mortified looks. They apparently did not know anything about Primus and were clearly not in on "the joke". 

Now I would have LOVED to see Voivod open for Rush.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4464 on: February 28, 2020, 04:45:03 PM »
I guess I'm missing something.  The "joke" is that you yell "Primus sucks!" at Primus?

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4465 on: February 28, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
I guess I'm missing something.  The "joke" is that you yell "Primus sucks!" at Primus?

Indeed. I think it started when they 1st started playing some guys were following them around at a bowling alley or somewhere like that and kept saying "you guys rule" but guys in the band in a self-deprecating manner said "naw we suck." Then it got to be where Les would introduce the band "We're Primus and we suck!". The title of their 1st release makes reference to this as well (Suck on This)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4466 on: February 28, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »
Okay, whatever works for you, right? :lol

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4467 on: February 28, 2020, 08:32:22 PM »

Doesn't really have anything to do with me. Just trying to be helpful and explain what I (apparently falsely) assumed was pretty much common knowledge among Primus fans:
http://www.ram.org/music/primus/misc/primus_faq.html#sucks

Apparently, chanting "Primus Sucks!" was also the way the fans would try to get the band to come back onstage for encores as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4468 on: February 28, 2020, 09:18:38 PM »
Bob, I've chanted it many times. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4469 on: February 28, 2020, 09:26:38 PM »
Didn't Les introduce the band as "We're Primus and We Suck!" one time at a show. That's how it started? It's amazing it stuck. I love people's reactions when they  first hear it and don't know why fans of the band are chanting that they suck
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4470 on: February 28, 2020, 09:53:14 PM »

Doesn't really have anything to do with me. Just trying to be helpful and explain what I (apparently falsely) assumed was pretty much common knowledge among Primus fans:

Apparently, chanting "Primus Sucks!" was also the way the fans would try to get the band to come back onstage for encores as well.

I wasn't doubting you or anything.  That's a genuine laugh-out-loud, because I really do find it amusing, and whatever works for somebody is fine.  There's a lot of common knowledge that I lack.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4471 on: February 29, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »

I wasn't doubting you or anything.  That's a genuine laugh-out-loud, because I really do find it amusing, and whatever works for somebody is fine.  There's a lot of common knowledge that I lack.

It's all good man. I'm pretty sure (in general) I know less than you about these sort of band related things. Now...if someone could give me a good explanation why NoFX tolerates being pelted by a hail of ice cubes or whatnot during their performances I'd be greatly appreciative! LOL

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4472 on: February 29, 2020, 07:29:55 PM »
Several pages back(or maybe it was at the Neil Peart thread), there was some discussion about the lyrics to Freewill and the misprint in the lyrics sheet.  I finally found a discussion about Neil reversing course on this.  It’s about 15 posts down here:  http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/31044-question-about-freewill-lyrics/

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4473 on: March 14, 2020, 06:59:07 PM »
Several pages back(or maybe it was at the Neil Peart thread), there was some discussion about the lyrics to Freewill and the misprint in the lyrics sheet.  I finally found a discussion about Neil reversing course on this.  It’s about 15 posts down here:  http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/31044-question-about-freewill-lyrics/

Neil just didn't realize it.  I suppose he finally saw proof.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4474 on: March 15, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »

Neil just didn't realize it.  I suppose he finally saw proof.

Yeah, he obviously didn't know about the misprint, and the first question asked wasn't particularly clear.  Someone finally clarified it for him.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #4475 on: March 16, 2020, 03:38:55 AM »
It's known as a mountweazel. Publishers put minor errors into printed song lyrics so that they can identify when other publications, websites, etc are simply copying copyrighted material without approval. It's always happened.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4476 on: March 17, 2020, 01:37:11 AM »
Alex on Rush's Twitter:

"Just returned from Spring Break with my gKids. We are all self quarantining for 14 days. All travellers should. Looking forward to getting caught up on Netflix! Send your top viewing suggestions."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4477 on: March 21, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »
Alex on Rush's Twitter:

"Just returned from Spring Break with my gKids. We are all self quarantining for 14 days. All travellers should. Looking forward to getting caught up on Netflix! Send your top viewing suggestions."

Geddy checked in too. Hopefully their supportive statements have made a difference.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4478 on: March 23, 2020, 07:57:16 AM »
It's known as a mountweazel. Publishers put minor errors into printed song lyrics so that they can identify when other publications, websites, etc are simply copying copyrighted material without approval. It's always happened.

I've seen that done on contract drafts as well, as a test of both whether the contract was read and/or whether it was messed with.   In fact, I got one end of last week that had a mis-capitalization in one of the boiler plate sections.  Since it was boiler-plate (for those that don't know "boiler plate language" is that language that is standard across many contracts and isn't typically messed with or negotiated on any one single deal; choice of law is boiler plate except for the exact location, severability and assignment are examples as well) it struck me that it was likely planted there for a reason. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4479 on: March 25, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »
Random question:

Wondering what everyone thinks about the album Working Man - A Tribute to Rush.

This album was released over 20 years ago and features covers of 13 "classic" Rush songs (all from the debut album through Signals, plus Mission).  The album was released on Magna Carta Records.  Only one song (I think it was only one) was performed by an actual band (Closer to the Heart by Fates Warning).  Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy played bass and drums on about half the songs, and Stu Hamm was on a handful.  Singers included guys like Jack Russell, Mark Slaughter, Sebastian Bach and James Labrie.  I didn't know who most of the other players were (and I still don't, although I have come to recognize many of the names).  For the most part, I thought it was a very subpar effort, and most of the production sounds very sterile.  Most of the vocals, in particular, were pretty bad.  The one that always stands out is Natural Science, which features Devin Townsend on vocals.  It's one of my favorite Rush songs, but he just butchers it.  I didn't know who he was at the time, and that performance has kept me from even checking out anything else he's done.  Terry Brown was involved in the mixing, but not as a producer.

What do you all think?