Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 498054 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst
« Reply #4410 on: February 05, 2020, 06:16:01 PM »
I'd put up Vapor Trails, Snakes And Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any other three albums in the catalog. I think they are that good.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4411 on: February 05, 2020, 06:27:52 PM »
I'd put up Vapor Trails, Snakes And Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any other three two albums in the catalog. I think they are that good.
Fixed that for you  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4412 on: February 05, 2020, 06:50:00 PM »
I'd put up Vapor Trails, Snakes And Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any other three two albums in the catalog. I think they are that good.

You were one off.... :angel: ;D ;)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #4413 on: February 05, 2020, 06:53:35 PM »

You were one off.... :angel: ;D ;)
:tup This only proves what an amazing band Rush was......and it feels weird talking about Rush in the past tense...  :-\ :sadpanda:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4414 on: February 05, 2020, 08:01:46 PM »
I feel the same, but different.

"Everything is different, but the same... things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller... it's computers... San Dimas High School football rules!!!"

Nope. So before Kevin J. Anderson did the Clockwork Angels novel he did a trilogy of fantasy books (that quite frankly are FAR better than Clockwork Angels, which is quite meh), and the first two books had prog-rock albums to go along with them, done under the moniker Roswell Six. One of the chorus' from the first album revolved around "It's the same, but different".
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4415 on: February 05, 2020, 08:03:40 PM »
This Nick guy knows what he's talking about.

Also was there for opening night of the CA tour so nee ner, nee ner.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4416 on: February 12, 2020, 05:08:54 AM »
Mike Portnoy plays his favourite Neil Peart songs on kids drum kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbRq69kJ7g
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4417 on: February 12, 2020, 10:30:41 AM »
Mike Portnoy plays his favourite Neil Peart songs on kids drum kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbRq69kJ7g

I saw this yesterday on FB.  I watched up through a few bars of YYZ and couldn't go beyond that.  I guess I missed whatever was supposed to be funny or impressive about this.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4418 on: February 13, 2020, 02:49:34 AM »
It was actually fun trying to tell which songs he was playing, I got all of them correct!  The last part when everything went flying was hilarious.  He did go out on a serious note afterwards and revealed the purpose of making the video.   :heart
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4419 on: February 14, 2020, 07:12:12 AM »
Didn't see this posted yet...

RUSH TO RELEASE PERMANENT WAVES 40TH ANNIVERSARY SET

Rush will release a 40th-anniversary box set dedicated to their 1980 breakthrough album Permanent Waves.

While there's no official announcement yet, listings for two-CD and three-LP Deluxe Editions, and well as a Super Deluxe Edition have appeared on Amazon with a release date of March 27. In addition to a remaster of the original album that was made in 2015 at Abbey Road Studios, the collection will add unreleased live cuts from the tour in support of the album and a 20-page book comprised of photos from the band's archive and re-imagined artwork by Hugh Syme. The track listing is below.

The vinyl edition features the original packaging and a new gatefold jacket for the two LPs of live content.

The Super Deluxe Edition contains both the CDs and vinyl formats, and adds a 12,000-word essay and 20 pages to the book found in the Deluxe Edition. Bonus content includes a 20-page notepad using the letterhead from Morin Heights, Quebec's Le Studio, where the album was recorded; two replica tour programs (the official as well as the unofficial U.K.-only The Words & Pictures Volume II); backstage laminates; a double-sided poster and lyrics to three songs (“The Spirit of Radio,” “Entre Nous” and “Natural Science") handwritten by drummer Neil Peart.

The Rush Is a Band fan site believes that the reason there is no 5.1 surround sound mix on Blu-ray, as there was when 1978's Hemispheres got a similar treatment a few years ago, is because the original masters were lost when Trident Studios, where Permanent Waves was mixed, went out of business.

"I just don't think we have the masters for that record," guitarist Alex Lifeson told Metal Express Radio said. "That is typical of those days. Your recordings would stay at the studio where you last worked. You'd get home and the master tapes would go to be mastered, and then the record was released and they would keep your masters as it was safer that way. When we did Permanent Waves, Trident kept the masters, but they went bankrupt and everything disappeared, so we don't have the multi-track masters for that one."

Rush, 'Permanent Waves' 40th Anniversary Track Listing

Disc 1
1. "The Spirit of Radio"
2. "Freewill"
3. "Jacob's Ladder"
4. "Entre Nous"
5. "Different Strings"
6. "Natural Science"

Disc 2
1. "Beneath, Between & Behind" (Live in Manchester)
2." By-Tor & the Snow Dog" (Live in London)
3. "Xanadu" (Live in London)
4. "The Spirit of Radio" (Live in Manchester)
5. "Natural Science" (Live in Manchester)
6. "The Trees" (Live in Manchester)
7. "Cygnus X-1" (Live in London)
8. "Cygnus X-1 Book II" (Live in London)
9. "Closer to the Heart" (Live in Manchester)
10. "Jacob's Ladder" (Live in Missouri)
11. "Freewill" (Live in London)

---------

Lots of Manchester and London show songs, and the odd Missouri show (which I assume is the St. Louis '80 soundboard). If the London show is from the PEW Tour, I assume that both Cygnus Books are the truncated versions as well. I'm sad this wasn't the FULL St. Louis '80 show as I had hoped the PEW 40th set would contain, but this is still slightly a better release of bonus live stuff than the Pink Pop Festival that came with the Hemispheres show. Still doesn't beat getting the whole AFTK Tour show.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4420 on: February 14, 2020, 10:06:55 AM »
As always, I hate that they don't release the "super deluxe" version (with all the goodies) with CDs OR vinyl.  I want the CDs and the swag.  I have no use for vinyl.  It's a total waste, but I have to pay for it nonetheless.  And I assume there are folks who feel the same way about CDs and only want vinyl.  Yeah, I can get the CDs without the vinyl, but if I want the swag, I have to pay for both.

Grrr....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTA

« Reply #4421 on: February 14, 2020, 05:35:10 PM »
I still can't believe there's been no official Hemispheres-in-full released. The biggest fuckup they ever did was having the bonus disc of Different Stages be the AFTK tour instead of a Hemispheres show. It's like the exact same setlist but with Hemispheres songs also.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4422 on: February 15, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »
I still can't believe there's been no official Hemispheres-in-full released. The biggest fuckup they ever did was having the bonus disc of Different Stages be the AFTK tour instead of a Hemispheres show. It's like the exact same setlist but with Hemispheres songs also.
I'm gonna guess they probably don't have any full length shows that are multi-track recordings other than the Pinkpop Festival that ended up as the bonus disc on the Hemispheres reissue. That would explain why they ended up going with a straight soundboard release of 2112 from the Tucson gig of the same tour since they didn't have a proper recording of the entire track from the Pinkpop gig.

That show that was on the bonus CD for DS and later as the bonus discs for the AFtK reissue was a multi-track recording.  I don't think they simply want to issue 2-track soundboard recordings of any of their shows, even though the majority of fans would be completely fine with that.

That being the case, it's very disappointing that they couldn't have put together a complete "show" from the 3 (or more) sources they are using for that bonus CD on the PeW reissue, since obviously those sources all are multi-track recordings.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4423 on: February 15, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »
Just out of curiosity...

We have existing video (it's crappy, but we have it) of the 2112 tour.  And I know about the brief video from Pinkpop.   But has there really NEVER been any bootleg video footage of any other stop on the Hemispheres tour?   

I guess the more I think about it, video cameras were still in their infancy and extremely bulky back in the day.  But still.   It just seems weird that there is this gap where we have found some lost footage of the extremely early days, and then suddenly almost nothing until we get to Moving Pictures. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4424 on: February 16, 2020, 09:38:48 AM »
And yet....  Kiss has video of shows in '75, multiple '76 shows, and multiple '77 shows.   If Rush ever played Winterland in San Francisco, there is footage somewhere, because Graham recorded everything.   Rush played shows with Kiss, so undoubtedly there were cameras THERE, whether they recorded the opener or not is another story.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4425 on: February 16, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
And yet....  Kiss has video of shows in '75, multiple '76 shows, and multiple '77 shows.   If Rush ever played Winterland in San Francisco, there is footage somewhere, because Graham recorded everything.   Rush played shows with Kiss, so undoubtedly there were cameras THERE, whether they recorded the opener or not is another story.

Four shows at Winterland in 75/76/77.  The 75 show was opening for Kiss.  The 77 show was a headliner.  Not sure about the 76 shows, but they didn't open for Kiss on those dates.

https://www.setlist.fm/search?artist=13d6dd1d&query=rush+winterland

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4426 on: February 16, 2020, 07:18:45 PM »
We have existing video (it's crappy, but we have it) of the 2112 tour.
You talking about the B/W video that was included on Beyond the Lighted Stage? If so, I would consider that "pro-shot" since it came from the venue, not an audience member that snuck a camera into the show.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4427 on: February 16, 2020, 07:39:42 PM »
So I saw an excerpt from the 1994 Counterparts tour on YouTube obviously pro shot from Palace of Auburn Hills for TV or something.  It looked and sounded great,  and I wish that I could get a copy of that show in it's entirety if it's floating around somewhere.  The only song I saw was Time Stand Still, and the band sounded awesome! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4428 on: February 16, 2020, 07:44:10 PM »
I had that on VHS.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4429 on: February 16, 2020, 08:38:17 PM »
I did as well.  :lol :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4431 on: February 18, 2020, 09:04:31 AM »
Hmmm, LA at the Greek Theater?  SURE, I'll go if tickets are affordable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4432 on: February 18, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »
Looks like the first set is AFTK and then a second set of their stuff.  AND it's on a FRIDAY!!  (that's a big deal to old working people. LOL)

I'm completely in.   I haven't seen Primus since they opened for Jane's Addiction in '91.    Now I just have to figure out how to get in on the pre-sale.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4433 on: February 18, 2020, 11:01:20 AM »
I'm not at all a Primus fan (I thought they sucked when the opened for Rush back in the early 90s), so the first question that came to my mind is how the hell is Les Claypool going to sing any of that material?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #4434 on: February 18, 2020, 11:27:34 AM »
Primus always sucks! ;D
It would be interesting to see Les Claypool singing any Rush song, he has such a weird voice...
Anyway, it was chosen a great album. I’m waiting eagerly to hear Primus performing specially aFtK (the song)  :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4435 on: February 18, 2020, 11:43:34 AM »
I think the album where Les does Floyd's Animals is excellent so he has done an album that you wouldn't think would fit with him already. Plus, I would die to see Herb play some classic Neil material.

I really want to see this and I love the Chicago Theatre. Not sure I could get anyone to go with me. I'm interested and will check this out to see if I can swing it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4436 on: February 18, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »
Les' heart is in the right place.  I met him briefly before the Claypool Lennon Delirium show, and while he was a little cerebral and slightly stand-offish, he was nice and he was one of those guys that seemed very deferential to that which came before.  In the conversation I was part of - it was a Q&A with him and Sean and about 20 fans - that was primarily the Beatles and Crimson and Rush.  He was clearly on board with Rush, as a fan.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4437 on: February 18, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
I made the mistake of mentioning this to my younger brother and now he is going to bug me to go since Primus is playing here this summer. :lol :facepalm:

Don't get me wrong, I respect Primus as musicians, but their music does absolutely nothing for me. I saw them open for Rush on the Counterparts tour and was bored out of mind.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4438 on: February 18, 2020, 06:31:14 PM »
I saw Primus on the Sailing The Sea Of Cheese and Tales From The Punchbowl tours. I was into them so for me, both were great shows.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4439 on: February 18, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
To take a left turn, seeing the Priest news is another good reminder of how awesome and unique Rush was. 

Judas Priest will now be similar to Yes in that there will be two different factions basically touring as the band.

Kansas is currently touring without the three most important members from their classic lineup.

Styx has been touring now for two decades without their most prominent and significant songwriter, and only two of the five from the classic lineup remain as regular members.

Aerosmith just basically fired their longtime drummer via email.

Meanwhile, Rush was the same three guys from the summer of 1974 through 2015. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4440 on: February 18, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »
To take a left turn, seeing the Priest news is another good reminder of how awesome and unique Rush was. 

Judas Priest will now be similar to Yes in that there will be two different factions basically touring as the band.

Err...WHAT???

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4441 on: February 18, 2020, 07:08:54 PM »

Err...WHAT???

It's true....check out the Priest thread.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4442 on: February 18, 2020, 07:30:23 PM »
I feel like the JP thing is a bit diff though than say Queensryche. The legit JP is going to play huge shows to giant crowds. The other one will essentially play midsized clubs at best.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4443 on: February 18, 2020, 08:21:13 PM »

Kansas is currently touring without the three most important members from their classic lineup.

Styx has been touring now for two decades without their most prominent and significant songwriter, and only two of the five from the classic lineup remain as regular members.

Aerosmith just basically fired their longtime drummer via email.

Meanwhile, Rush was the same three guys from the summer of 1974 through 2015. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

To add to that, didn't they actually bring him back?  Band drama for Aerosmith is nothing new, but I get the point.  Very rarely that there will be a band that went as long as Rush and still maintain the same line-up and had no shred of bitterness or passive-aggressiveness (at least from what I can see and read) among each other on a major level.  The same three guys making great music for four decades and enduring a lot of good times and bad times together.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4444 on: February 19, 2020, 10:05:19 AM »
Just scored tix for the Primus show in Chicago. Will be my first time seeing them. Can't wait!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history