Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490178 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3500 on: June 06, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »
To expand on my comment from the other day, even though I think Tai Shan is one of the two weakest songs of the synth era, I still don't think it's as bad as many do.  It sure beats slop like Slime and Motion.

SPONTANEOUS RELATIONS AND THE LOOOOOONG ENDUUUUURRRRINGGGG  KIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNDDDDDDDDD...

You're high, that song rules.
I'll second that!  :tup
Thirded!  :tup :tup
Let's make it 4. :)

and 5 :D

Now 6 ;D
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3501 on: June 07, 2018, 12:18:02 AM »
The closing songs from You Bet Your Life through We Hold On are all pretty weak, except for Everyday Glory which is a masterpiece IMO. Very uplifting track with really good lyrics. I wish they'd have played this but they seem to have avoided playing  all of their closing tracks from HYF through S&A for some reason.
I agree on Everyday Glory...   No matter what they say,  this is a fantastic song and a great album closer. I too, would had loved to see it played live.. 🎶😎
I see what you did there :neverusethis:

To expand on my comment from the other day, even though I think Tai Shan is one of the two weakest songs of the synth era, I still don't think it's as bad as many do.  It sure beats slop like Slime and Motion.

SPONTANEOUS RELATIONS AND THE LOOOOOONG ENDUUUUURRRRINGGGG  KIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNDDDDDDDDD...

You're high, that song rules.
I'll second that!  :tup
Thirded!  :tup :tup
Let's make it 4. :)

and 5 :D

Now 6 ;D
Oooh oooh me me me 7th'd  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3502 on: June 07, 2018, 05:32:18 AM »

Time And Motion is poor.

This.

Using Tim as the wing-man for your argument doesn't make it any less wrong.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3503 on: June 07, 2018, 05:35:41 AM »
He's not. He totally tampered with my original post.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3504 on: June 07, 2018, 06:14:39 AM »

A million dollar fine and 4 game suspension.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3505 on: June 07, 2018, 12:51:09 PM »

Using Tim as the wing-man for your argument doesn't make it any less wrong.   :lol

Come on, I know better than that. :P

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3506 on: June 07, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »

I feel like this conversation is losing it's air. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3507 on: June 07, 2018, 03:20:29 PM »
Cool, at least this Rush thread has surpassed 100 pages now..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3508 on: June 07, 2018, 03:28:31 PM »

*nugget*

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3509 on: June 13, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »

Did I miss when they appointed you Brendan Shanahan?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3510 on: June 13, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »

*nugget*

-Marc.

That reminds me that I really need to pull out that first set again. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3511 on: June 14, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »

President of the Toronto Maple Leafs?  He hasn't led DPS for four years!  I think you meant Stephane Quintal
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3512 on: June 14, 2018, 05:54:29 PM »
Yup. Though joke on Kev and Brady getting suspended.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3513 on: June 16, 2018, 07:24:07 AM »

President of the Toronto Maple Leafs?  He hasn't led DPS for four years!  I think you meant Stephane Quintal

I'm a recovering hockey fan.   The professional business to game ratio, enforced parity (among a bunch of other things) is what pretty much killed it for me. It's more than that, but you probably don't want to hear me rant about it but I've mostly unplugged.

Anyway, Shanny seemed to have a flair for it that others don't seem to have. I think I knew that Quintal was the latest one to fill that chair,  but I'm honestly not paying much attention to that aspect of it.

Yet I know that Bergevin traded for Domi (not that I got any alert for it, but that I actively seek out TSN everyday so clearly I have not fully recovered.)

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3514 on: July 08, 2018, 03:34:02 PM »
So there's this Youtube song reaction channel called Lost in Vegas that has covered lots of stuff from country to hip-hop to bands like Metallica, DT, Alter Bridge, Slayer, some Rush songs, etc, and they have now done a review of 2112 and yes, they actually listened to the whole 20-min song as this video is 30 minutes long.  Here's their reactions throughout the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=fWInuaG8MEU&ab_channel=LostInVegas

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3515 on: July 08, 2018, 09:24:32 PM »
I've watched quite a few videos from these guys.  They clearly aren't die hard rock fans but they are very well spoken and give fair reviews to all the metal/rock songs that they reviewed.  I remember they were big fans of YYZ and Painkiller from Priest.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3516 on: July 09, 2018, 12:55:29 AM »
I remember them listening to Metropolis and calling it overloaded or something like that  >:(
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3517 on: July 09, 2018, 04:13:26 AM »
I remember them listening to Metropolis and calling it overloaded or something like that  >:(
So? Most non-prog fans would probably feel that way too.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3518 on: July 17, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »
After a video binge last weekend I've determined that my favorite Rush videos (excluding the ones were they are straight clips from live concerts) are in chronological order.

Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Countdown
Afterimage
Half The World
Closer To The Heart (Different Stages version)
Malignant  Narcissism

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3519 on: July 17, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »
Big Wreck try out their take on Closer to the Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CRk9_pzWBs

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3520 on: July 17, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »
After a video binge last weekend I've determined that my favorite Rush videos (excluding the ones were they are straight clips from live concerts) are in chronological order.

Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Countdown
Afterimage
Half The World
Malignant  Narcissism

WOW.  I'm thinking now and the only video I can actually remember is The Big Money.   I think I vaguely remember Vital Signs.   Nothing beyond that.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3521 on: July 17, 2018, 06:46:43 PM »
I remember Subdivisions and Countdown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3522 on: July 17, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
Most I saw from the VHS Through The Camera Eye.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3523 on: July 17, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »
Obviously their best video is Time Stand Still  :hat
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3524 on: July 18, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »
Obviously their best video is Time Stand Still  :hat
:lol
Talk about a great song that could have been potentially ruined if that video was widespread knowledge..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3525 on: July 18, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »

Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Countdown
Afterimage
Half The World
Malignant  Narcissism

I honestly can't think of a video for anything post-RtB.  Lots of concert footage, but no videos (now that I think about it, maybe I saw one for Far Cry??).  I'll have to try and find those that you mentioned.

I like the really old ones (Anthem, Fly by Night, AFtK, Xanadu, The Trees, LVS) simply because that sort of video footage is extremely rare.  The studio footage videos from Moving Pictures are cool as well.

The first Rush videos I saw (and I think my first exposure to Rush) were Countdown and Subdivisions, both of which I LOVED.  After that, they were all kind of lame, primarily because the band's post-Signals "look" (which matters when we're talking about videos) was pretty bad.

I still have that VHS.  I don't know if it's still available, but I highly recommend the Chronicles DVD, which has some of the 70s and 80s videos.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3526 on: July 18, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »
I honestly can't think of a video for anything post-RtB. 
You forget about the dreadlock guy tied to a chair on top of a pole in the video for Stick It Out, or the weird dudes racing around in Driven (my favorite video of their's, even if the song is somewhat meh for me)?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3527 on: July 18, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
I prefer live footage over a video any day. Videos can ruin my image of a song. I like cool scenic videos sometimes if they go back and forth to the band jamming. DT's On the backs of Angels was done quite well actually.  Another example is Dreams by Van Halen (Sammy Hagar), where they showed the blue angels flying.
Rush has been the best band ever as far as releasing live concert footage.  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3528 on: July 18, 2018, 12:18:36 PM »
I remember seeing Driven, and Subdivisions on either VH1 classic or the music video channel that popped up on tv where I live.

Haha Time Stand Still, there was a video when youtube first started getting big, it had a guy overdubbing over the lyrics with what the guys are doing in the video. One I remember that makes me laugh is "I think I'll take a left spin now."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3529 on: July 18, 2018, 12:55:40 PM »

Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Countdown
Afterimage
Half The World
Malignant  Narcissism

I honestly can't think of a video for anything post-RtB.  Lots of concert footage, but no videos (now that I think about it, maybe I saw one for Far Cry??).  I'll have to try and find those that you mentioned.

I like the really old ones (Anthem, Fly by Night, AFtK, Xanadu, The Trees, LVS) simply because that sort of video footage is extremely rare.  The studio footage videos from Moving Pictures are cool as well.

The first Rush videos I saw (and I think my first exposure to Rush) were Countdown and Subdivisions, both of which I LOVED.  After that, they were all kind of lame, primarily because the band's post-Signals "look" (which matters when we're talking about videos) was pretty bad.

I still have that VHS.  I don't know if it's still available, but I highly recommend the Chronicles DVD, which has some of the 70s and 80s videos.

Half The World as well.  Since VT, they haven't been in their videos.  Example you say?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClbE019cLNI

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #3530 on: July 18, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »

Half The World as well. 

and Driven :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3531 on: July 18, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »
I honestly can't think of a video for anything post-RtB. 
You forget about the dreadlock guy tied to a chair on top of a pole in the video for Stick It Out, or the weird dudes racing around in Driven (my favorite video of their's, even if the song is somewhat meh for me)?

Either forgot or never knew they existed.  I guess I know what I'll be doing this evening.  Maybe they'll ring a bell for me; maybe not....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #3532 on: July 19, 2018, 06:43:28 AM »
Has anyone here bought any of the multiple remasters of 2112 that are out there? If so what would you consider the definitive version as far as sonics are concerned? I just bought the latest version of 2112 which is the 40th edition and that is apparently a remaster that was done in Abbey Studios. I then see there were several other remaster prior to that. Curious if anyone had a chance to listen to them all.

Then there's a few remasters of A Farewell to Kings though not as many as 2112. I was hoping to pick up the Steven Wilson 5.1 bluray mix that just came out but that apparently is only available with the super deluxe edition.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3533 on: July 19, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
I've started listening to the audio book of Clockwork Angels, narrated by Neil Peart himself.

Perhaps I'll appreciate the album even more after knowing the story when I'm finished.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3534 on: July 19, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
Has anyone here bought any of the multiple remasters of 2112 that are out there? If so what would you consider the definitive version as far as sonics are concerned? I just bought the latest version of 2112 which is the 40th edition and that is apparently a remaster that was done in Abbey Studios. I then see there were several other remaster prior to that. Curious if anyone had a chance to listen to them all.

Then there's a few remasters of A Farewell to Kings though not as many as 2112. I was hoping to pick up the Steven Wilson 5.1 bluray mix that just came out but that apparently is only available with the super deluxe edition.

Ihave a bunch of them (2112) but I've never really sat down and compared them.  I think I have...  the original CD release, the Sector 1 version, the deluxe edition from 2012, and the 40th anniversary edition.  I usually don't bother with multiple releases like that but I wanted the Sector 1 set for the 5.1 "Fly By Night", and I wanted the 2012 version for the 5.1 "2112".  I got the 40th version at a steal as part of a bigger transaction, though I'm not 1000% sure why I needed it, since other than Alice In Chains I could give a shit about the covers on there.   

For "A Farewell to Kings" I have the "Rush Remaster" version, the Sector 2 version (because of the 5.1 mix in there) and the 40th anniversary version.   I need to look up the Steven Wilson 5.1 version; I hadn't seen that.