Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490216 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3465 on: June 05, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »
Not sure I've never even made it to the end of S&A.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #3466 on: June 05, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »

So, what you're saying is that you didn't hold on?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3467 on: June 05, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
Mind your own monkey business.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #3468 on: June 05, 2018, 10:23:26 AM »
Mind your own monkey business.

I Hope you were being sarcastic.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3469 on: June 05, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
Of course! :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3470 on: June 05, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
The Way That Tim Blows. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3471 on: June 05, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3472 on: June 05, 2018, 01:05:17 PM »
I think PG is missing The Larger Bowl for the spoon. 

Online pg1067

« Reply #3473 on: June 05, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »
Of course! :)

I think PG is missing The Larger Bowl for the spoon. 

I'll put on my bravest face and soldier through.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3474 on: June 05, 2018, 02:25:18 PM »
Enough silliness. This little tangent is a far cry from the topic at hand.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3475 on: June 05, 2018, 02:27:36 PM »
Enough silliness. This little tangent is a far cry from the topic at hand.

I've got bad news for you, but I'll tell it to you second.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3476 on: June 05, 2018, 06:02:12 PM »
You all have a malignant case of narcissism!  Keep an open mind and let your mind drift into a Spindrift..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3477 on: June 05, 2018, 07:23:54 PM »

Second Nature and Tai Shan are the obvious two "clunkers" from Hold Your Fire.  I would say those are the two least best songs of the synth era (1982-1987).

Totally disagree about Second Nature and Tai Shan, but other than that I'm with you.

I'm with you; I LOVE Second Nature, and I don't get the hate for Tai Shan, other than it's acknowledging what the band themselves have said.

I probably come across as a fan boy but despite what band members have to say about the following,  I'm not a fan of Working Man (though I realize its importance) or Limelight and I love Caress of Steel and like Tai Shan. While I recognize how they feel about certain songs, I don't let that influence my enjoyment of their work.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3478 on: June 05, 2018, 07:27:10 PM »
To expand on my comment from the other day, even though I think Tai Shan is one of the two weakest songs of the synth era, I still don't think it's as bad as many do.  It sure beats slop like Slime and Motion.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3479 on: June 05, 2018, 07:29:40 PM »
You Bet Your Life is one of my favorite tracks on RTB.

You trolling us?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3480 on: June 05, 2018, 07:31:44 PM »

You trolling us?

:lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3481 on: June 05, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
To expand on my comment from the other day, even though I think Tai Shan is one of the two weakest songs of the synth era, I still don't think it's as bad as many do.  It sure beats slop like Slime and Motion.

Time And Motion is awesome!

You trolling us?

Would I do that? :lol

Seriously, I've always liked it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3482 on: June 05, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »

SPONTANEOUS RELATIONS AND THE LOOOOOONG ENDUUUUURRRRINGGGG  KIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNDDDDDDDDD...

You're high, that song rules. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3483 on: June 05, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »

I've been down that road more than enough times for the both of us and a bunch of others.

Don't worry. I've got you covered.

How many times?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3484 on: June 05, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
When it comes to great album closers,  Cygnus X-1, Natural Science, Available Light, and The Garden all come to mind..

We've done this before, I think but Rush has a history of closing albums strongly, but if I was going to list my top 5 album closers, I think only Available Light makes it from that list.  In The End, Something For Nothing, Fountain of Lamneth, La Villa Strangiato, Countdown, even Between the Wheels...

HAD a history of closing albums strongly.

I would say Available Light was the last truly strong album closer.  I've said here multiple times that I find the love for The Garden to be completely baffling.  It's a big fizzle at the end of decent album at the end of a stellar career.  Almost every album up through Presto had an above average to great closer.

****Working Man - Arguably not a true closer, but definitely a case of saving the best for last.
****In the End - Possibly more lyrically a closer than musically.
**The Fountain of Lamneth (specifically Part VI: The Fountain) - This one falls a bit flat for me.
***Something for Nothing - A good, not great song.  All of side two pales in comparison to side one.
*****Cygnus X-1, Book I: The Voyage - A true epic closer with a cliffhanger.
*****La Villa Strangiato - No explanation needed.
*****Natural Science - Make that three in a row.
***Vital Signs - Being the second weakest song on a nearly perfect seven song album is still pretty darn good.
****Countdown - I seem to be in a minority in my love for this song.  Possibly the first Rush song I ever heard.
****Between the Wheels - Second best song on the album.  Getting to this point was a chore.
*Mystic Rhythms - Bleh.  I'd give it half a star if I could make the symbol.
*High Water - More bleh.
*****Available Light - An excellent, underrated song and a great album closer.
*You Bet Your Life - From here on out, pretty much ever album fell off significantly in the second half.  I find none of the closers on the last six studio albums to be at all memorable.
*Everyday Glory
*Carve Away the Stone
*Out of the Cradle
*We Hold On
*The Garden

Continue to be baffled.  Other than Working Man You Bet Your Life and Carve Away The Stone, those closers would make one fine Rush compilation CD.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3485 on: June 05, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »
How many times?

Honestly? Less than 5. I think it's terrible.

It sounds great though. Just the songs are so lacking. I feel like they were trying to build music around Neil's lyrics. There's just no sense of musical composition. Just a forced backdrop to Neil's poetry.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3486 on: June 05, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »
How many times?

Honestly? Less than 5. I think it's terrible.

It sounds great though. Just the songs are so lacking. I feel like they were trying to build music around Neil's lyrics. There's just no sense of musical composition. Just a forced backdrop to Neil's poetry.

Sorry. I'm messin' with you. That's the first line in the song.

"Tempted to cut and run...."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3487 on: June 05, 2018, 08:04:20 PM »
 :lol

I thought you were asking how many times I tried to make it through S&A.  :facepalm:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3488 on: June 05, 2018, 08:17:46 PM »

SPONTANEOUS RELATIONS AND THE LOOOOOONG ENDUUUUURRRRINGGGG  KIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNDDDDDDDDD...

I'll second that!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3489 on: June 05, 2018, 08:27:06 PM »

Thirded!  :tup :tup
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3490 on: June 05, 2018, 08:28:34 PM »

Let's make it 4. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3491 on: June 05, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »

You're high
, that song rules.

It's not the weekend yet. :P

Time And Motion is poor.

This.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #3492 on: June 06, 2018, 03:36:35 AM »

Let's make it 4. :)

and 5 :D
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3493 on: June 06, 2018, 04:30:36 AM »
Tail Shan kisses all over anything on TFE, VT and S&A :omg:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3494 on: June 06, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »

That's not possible. It wasn't on Grace Under Pressure.  :)   "Kid Gloves, handle with kid gloves... then you learn the lessons and the ways of hard-knock school!"   Bleck!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3495 on: June 06, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »
Yet, you know those lyrics Stads. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: June 06, 2018, 09:51:46 AM »
Yet, you know those lyrics Stads. :lol

Only with the booklet!! I swear!  I have the booklet in front of me!!!! 

(Uh, busted.  :) )

Online pg1067

« Reply #3497 on: June 06, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
When it comes to great album closers,  Cygnus X-1, Natural Science, Available Light, and The Garden all come to mind..

We've done this before, I think but Rush has a history of closing albums strongly, but if I was going to list my top 5 album closers, I think only Available Light makes it from that list.  In The End, Something For Nothing, Fountain of Lamneth, La Villa Strangiato, Countdown, even Between the Wheels...

HAD a history of closing albums strongly.

I would say Available Light was the last truly strong album closer.  I've said here multiple times that I find the love for The Garden to be completely baffling.  It's a big fizzle at the end of decent album at the end of a stellar career.  Almost every album up through Presto had an above average to great closer.

****Working Man - Arguably not a true closer, but definitely a case of saving the best for last.
****In the End - Possibly more lyrically a closer than musically.
**The Fountain of Lamneth (specifically Part VI: The Fountain) - This one falls a bit flat for me.
***Something for Nothing - A good, not great song.  All of side two pales in comparison to side one.
*****Cygnus X-1, Book I: The Voyage - A true epic closer with a cliffhanger.
*****La Villa Strangiato - No explanation needed.
*****Natural Science - Make that three in a row.
***Vital Signs - Being the second weakest song on a nearly perfect seven song album is still pretty darn good.
****Countdown - I seem to be in a minority in my love for this song.  Possibly the first Rush song I ever heard.
****Between the Wheels - Second best song on the album.  Getting to this point was a chore.
*Mystic Rhythms - Bleh.  I'd give it half a star if I could make the symbol.
*High Water - More bleh.
*****Available Light - An excellent, underrated song and a great album closer.
*You Bet Your Life - From here on out, pretty much ever album fell off significantly in the second half.  I find none of the closers on the last six studio albums to be at all memorable.
*Everyday Glory
*Carve Away the Stone
*Out of the Cradle
*We Hold On
*The Garden

Continue to be baffled.  Other than Working Man You Bet Your Life and Carve Away The Stone, those closers would make one fine Rush compilation CD.

The problem with a compilation of closers would be that you'd keep anticipating that it would be over.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3498 on: June 06, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »

That's not possible. It wasn't on Grace Under Pressure.  :)   "Kid Gloves, handle with kid gloves... then you learn the lessons and the ways of hard-knock school!"   Bleck!

Kid Gloves doesn't stand out, but it's a fun little rocker.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3499 on: June 06, 2018, 06:25:53 PM »
The problem with a compilation of closers would be that you'd keep anticipating that it would be over.

The CD that never ends. :lol