Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 490130 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3430 on: May 29, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »
PoW:  The entirety of side 2 (Marathon is very good and Manhattan project is good)
What's wrong with Territories? That song is awesome! Personally, I like the rest of the album too, but can't understand how you couldn't like that track.

HYF:  Tai Shan and High Water (Mission is the only song I'll go out of my way to listen to)
Not directing this at pg1067 specifically - I get the hate for Tai Shan, but why is High Water always criticized? Not the greatest song in their catalog, but certainly no worse than a decent portion of their catalog. I'll take it over half the songs on RtB and T4E any day of the week.

HYF:  Tai Shan and High Water (Mission is the only song I'll go out of my way to listen to)
Presto:  Scars, Superconductor and Hand over Fist (multiple very good songs, including The Pass, Presto, Red Tide and Available Light)
[/quote]
Won't disagree with you on Stupidconductor, but Scars and Hand Over Fist ain't clunkers. In fact, I'd take both of them over The Pass (just don't get the love for that song, aside from the message in the lyrics). In particular I'd put HOF at the same level as High Water - not an outstanding track, but not filler or worse either.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3431 on: May 29, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »
PoW:  The entirety of side 2 (Marathon is very good and Manhattan project is good)
What's wrong with Territories? That song is awesome! Personally, I like the rest of the album too, but can't understand how you couldn't like that track.

In no particular order:  lyrics verging on silly (at least in parts), blaring and intrusive synthesizers, harsh guitar work in parts, and almost the whole song is based around an annoying, repetitive dance riff.  What's NOT wrong with Territories?

Not directing this at pg1067 specifically - I get the hate for Tai Shan, but why is High Water always criticized? Not the greatest song in their catalog, but certainly no worse than a decent portion of their catalog. I'll take it over half the songs on RtB and T4E any day of the week.

That's not exactly high praise.

Presto:  Scars, Superconductor and Hand over Fist (multiple very good songs, including The Pass, Presto, Red Tide and Available Light)
Won't disagree with you on Stupidconductor, but Scars and Hand Over Fist ain't clunkers. In fact, I'd take both of them over The Pass (just don't get the love for that song, aside from the message in the lyrics). In particular I'd put HOF at the same level as High Water - not an outstanding track, but not filler or worse either.
[/quote]

I can see the appeal Scars may have for some.  Not my cup of meat, though.  Hand over Fist is just bad.  It's wimpy as fuck.  Hand over Fist gets picked last for dodgeball and regularly gets its ass kicked on the playground, and the chorus sounds like something a second grader might come up with.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3432 on: May 29, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »
You're missing the point of Territories with every take you posted. 

The lyrics from Territories is far from silly.  That's Dog Years.

Blaring and intrusive keyboards? That's the point.  They are supposed to be like that. 

Harsh guitar work in parts? That's what makes those parts amazing.   

You like your music a certain way and that's it pg1067?  Lol.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3433 on: May 29, 2018, 04:56:42 PM »
Oh dude.... I’m.... oh wow.

Territories is, to me, the greatest lyrics that have ever been written. It’s become practically my mission statement. And my sig is something I pretty much quote everywhere, to everyone.

Territories is something that far more people in this world need to wrap their heads around.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3434 on: May 29, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »
It's lyrics are intricate,  emotive and delivered to perfection by Geddy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3435 on: May 29, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »
I don't see anything silly about Territories' lyrics, even the 'better beer' one. That song is just magical. First time I heard it it blew my freaking mind, and stayed in my head for two months straight. When I wrapped up all their albums, Territories was like, top 5 Rush songs, I knew it like the back of my hand. Freaking amazing song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3436 on: May 29, 2018, 06:05:04 PM »
You're missing the point of Territories with every take you posted. 

The lyrics from Territories is far from silly.  That's Dog Years.

Blaring and intrusive keyboards? That's the point.  They are supposed to be like that. 

Harsh guitar work in parts? That's what makes those parts amazing.   

You like your music a certain way and that's it pg1067?  Lol.

I like what I like.  Saying that I'm missing the point is like saying I'm missing the point with Revolution #9 or Jackson Pollock's "art" or ballet.  I get the point; I just don't like it.  Scotty asked me to elaborate why I don't like the song, so I did.

P.S. I agree that the lyrics for Dog Years (and Virtuality) are worse than Territories.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3437 on: May 29, 2018, 06:27:36 PM »
And I'm telling you your taste stinks.  :lol

Hey, I get it's all subjective.   

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3438 on: May 29, 2018, 09:47:04 PM »
I really like all the songs on Presto but I can't stand the thin sound of it. Give me the same album with the sound of Counterparts and I'd listen to it a lot more.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3439 on: May 30, 2018, 04:22:13 AM »
I really like all the songs on Presto but I can't stand the thin sound of it. Give me the same album with the sound of Counterparts and I'd listen to it a lot more.

So did Rush after this album and RTB.  They wondered why the songs had more punch live and that's why you got Counterparts sound.  A bolder, raw, live sound.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3440 on: June 01, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »
Counterparts has such a 'cool' vibe to it, don't know how else to describe it... Animate, Double Agent, Cold Fire... SO good!  Absolutely love the groove to those songs. Alien Shore too. :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3441 on: June 02, 2018, 09:24:40 AM »

Second Nature and Tai Shan are the obvious two "clunkers" from Hold Your Fire.  I would say those are the two least best songs of the synth era (1982-1987).

Totally disagree about Second Nature and Tai Shan, but other than that I'm with you.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3442 on: June 02, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »

If we're talking High Water, I'd put every Test For Echo song about that except for maybe Carve Away The Stone and Test For Echo and even that isn't a slam dunk. Roll The Bones is a bit more dicey because you have songs like Face Up and the last three songs on that album Ghost of a Chance Neurotica and You Bet Your Life.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3443 on: June 02, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
Oh dude.... I’m.... oh wow.

Territories is, to me, the greatest lyrics that have ever been written. It’s become practically my mission statement. And my sig is something I pretty much quote everywhere, to everyone.

Territories is something that far more people in this world need to wrap their heads around.

I don't know about the greatest, but they sure are as good as most of it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3444 on: June 03, 2018, 01:36:54 PM »

Second Nature and Tai Shan are the obvious two "clunkers" from Hold Your Fire.  I would say those are the two least best songs of the synth era (1982-1987).

Totally disagree about Second Nature and Tai Shan, but other than that I'm with you.

I'm with you; I LOVE Second Nature, and I don't get the hate for Tai Shan, other than it's acknowledging what the band themselves have said. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3445 on: June 04, 2018, 07:21:43 AM »

High Water isn't bad, just mediocre. It strikes me as an attempt to rewrite Mystic Rhythms and isn't that great of an album closer.

When it comes to Territories, it's got some of Neil's best lyrics, but musically it's probably my least favorite on PoW, because it sounds a bit more dated than the rest of the songs.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3446 on: June 04, 2018, 11:03:52 AM »
When it comes to great album closers,  Cygnus X-1, Natural Science, Available Light, and The Garden all come to mind..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: June 04, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
When it comes to great album closers,  Cygnus X-1, Natural Science, Available Light, and The Garden all come to mind..

We've done this before, I think but Rush has a history of closing albums strongly, but if I was going to list my top 5 album closers, I think only Available Light makes it from that list.  In The End, Something For Nothing, Fountain of Lamneth, La Villa Strangiato, Countdown, even Between the Wheels... 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3448 on: June 04, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »
Countdown and Between the Wheels are both good calls!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3449 on: June 04, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »
The Garden is not only a good album closer, it turned out to be a good career closer as well.

Wish it weren't the case though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3450 on: June 04, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »

We've done this before, I think but Rush has a history of closing albums strongly, but if I was going to list my top 5 album closers, I think only Available Light makes it from that list.  In The End, Something For Nothing, Fountain of Lamneth, La Villa Strangiato, Countdown, even Between the Wheels...

HAD a history of closing albums strongly.

I would say Available Light was the last truly strong album closer.  I've said here multiple times that I find the love for The Garden to be completely baffling.  It's a big fizzle at the end of decent album at the end of a stellar career.  Almost every album up through Presto had an above average to great closer.

****Working Man - Arguably not a true closer, but definitely a case of saving the best for last.
****In the End - Possibly more lyrically a closer than musically.
**The Fountain of Lamneth (specifically Part VI: The Fountain) - This one falls a bit flat for me.
***Something for Nothing - A good, not great song.  All of side two pales in comparison to side one.
*****Cygnus X-1, Book I: The Voyage - A true epic closer with a cliffhanger.
*****La Villa Strangiato - No explanation needed.
*****Natural Science - Make that three in a row.
***Vital Signs - Being the second weakest song on a nearly perfect seven song album is still pretty darn good.
****Countdown - I seem to be in a minority in my love for this song.  Possibly the first Rush song I ever heard.
****Between the Wheels - Second best song on the album.  Getting to this point was a chore.
*Mystic Rhythms - Bleh.  I'd give it half a star if I could make the symbol.
*High Water - More bleh.
*****Available Light - An excellent, underrated song and a great album closer.
*You Bet Your Life - From here on out, pretty much ever album fell off significantly in the second half.  I find none of the closers on the last six studio albums to be at all memorable.
*Everyday Glory
*Carve Away the Stone
*Out of the Cradle
*We Hold On
*The Garden

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3451 on: June 04, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
The Garden is an amazing album closer. Ya'll who don't get it are clearly smoking the wrong stuff.  :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #3452 on: June 04, 2018, 04:23:53 PM »
The closing songs from You Bet Your Life through We Hold On are all pretty weak, except for Everyday Glory which is a masterpiece IMO. Very uplifting track with really good lyrics. I wish they'd have played this but they seem to have avoided playing  all of their closing tracks from HYF through S&A for some reason.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3453 on: June 04, 2018, 04:25:40 PM »

I would say Available Light was the last truly strong album closer.  I've said here multiple times that I find the love for The Garden to be completely baffling.  It's a big fizzle at the end of decent album at the end of a stellar career.  Almost every album up through Presto had an above average to great closer.

****Working Man - Arguably not a true closer, but definitely a case of saving the best for last.
**The Fountain of Lamneth (specifically Part VI: The Fountain) - This one falls a bit flat for me.
***Something for Nothing - A good, not great song.  All of side two pales in comparison to side one.
***Vital Signs - Being the second weakest song on a nearly perfect seven song album is still pretty darn good.
****Countdown - I seem to be in a minority in my love for this song.  Possibly the first Rush song I ever heard.
****Between the Wheels - Second best song on the album.  Getting to this point was a chore.
*High Water - More bleh.
*You Bet Your Life - From here on out, pretty much ever album fell off significantly in the second half.  I find none of the closers on the last six studio albums to be at all memorable.
*Everyday Glory
*Carve Away the Stone
*Out of the Cradle
*We Hold On
*The Garden

I agree with you on all of those except for the fact that you gave Mystic Rhythms and The Garden only one star. Those are definitely fives.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3454 on: June 04, 2018, 05:45:40 PM »
You Bet Your Life is one of my favorite tracks on RTB.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3455 on: June 04, 2018, 07:54:25 PM »
You Bet Your Life is one of my favorite tracks on RTB.
Nobody's perfect.   :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3456 on: June 04, 2018, 08:04:18 PM »
Hah!

I see most people don't like it. But I do, and always have even though I think the album is horrible. But Dreamline, Ghost, and YBYL make my 90's Rush Compilation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3457 on: June 04, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
Hah!

I see most people don't like it. But I do, and always have even though I think the album is horrible. But Dreamline, Ghost, and YBYL make my 90's Rush Compilation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeloDrSKZm8

:P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3458 on: June 04, 2018, 09:11:49 PM »
Kev, I clicked on your link but frantically hit the back button as soon as I saw what it was. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3459 on: June 04, 2018, 11:31:55 PM »

*High Water - More bleh.
*Everyday Glory
*Carve Away the Stone
*Out of the Cradle
*We Hold On
*The Garden

Other than the two stars for Fountain of Lamneth, we are in pretty tight synch there.   I'd give one more star to Something For Nothing, and take away a star or two from Cygnus X-1, but I agree on Countdown, Between The Wheels, The Garden.. that's a good synopsis right there.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3460 on: June 05, 2018, 12:02:32 AM »
Sure, I’ll play...

Working Man - Certainly not perfect, but a Rush classic, the song that put them on the map, and a good sign of things to come. 6.5/10
In the End - Fitting as a closer, but still nowhere close of what’s to come. 6/10
The Fountain of Lamneth - Song was never able to interest me. My score here is pretty reflective of my opinion of Caress as a whole. 2/10
Something for Nothing - I’ve always liked this song. Probably the strongest on side 2. Best of the first four so far. 7/10
Cygnus X-1, Book I: The Voyage - Loved it from first listen. 9/10
La Villa Strangiato - Incredible song. Abrupt ending is a little awkward as an album closer, but eh, whatever. 10/10
Natural Science - Favorite Rush song ever. So of course it’s a perfect 10/10.
Vital Signs - Loved this one too from first listen, but not quite as good as the previous two. 8.5/10
Countdown - Neat idea with cool imagery from the lyrics, but it’s still kinda meh to me. Underwhelming closer to a blah album (except Subdivisions and Losing It) 6.5/10
Between the Wheels - Many love Signals and hate Grace Under Pressure. I’m the exact opposite, and this was a perfect closer for the album. 10/10
Mystic Rhythms - Power Windows was an incredible record. Until this song. Average at best, plodding energy killer at worst. I respect the love for it since it’s such a different song for Rush, I just don’t share it. 6.5/10
High Water - Hated it at first listen. It’s kind of like my experience with IPAs, though. I couldn’t drink them to begin, then I began to tolerate them more, but only because I forced myself to. I can drink them, but I don’t really *enjoy* them. That’s High Water. Over time it’s grown on me, and I appreciate it for what it is, but it’s still not really good... 5/10
Available Light - I’ll plagiarize fadetoblackdude. An excellent, underrated song and a great album closer. 10/10
You Bet Your Life - A fun little ditty which I originally had fun memorizing and singing the chorus background. But it hasn’t aged well. 6/10
Everyday Glory - Also really liked initially, but again, like YBYL, also hasn’t aged well.  6.5/10
Carve Away the Stone - Not a bad song, but not a good one either. It’s just kinda... there. 6/10
Out of the Cradle - Fitting as a closer given the circumstances of the album and the song’s prognostic optimism, but it’s still the weakest on the record and not very good. 4.5/10
We Hold On - My third favorite song on S&A. And it’s only mediocre, which again reflects my feelings toward the album as a whole. 5.5/10
The Garden - Another fitting closer, both for the album and the band’s career. And while not perfect, it’s still damn strong. The best closer since Presto. 8/10

*** Disclaimer - Opinions stated as facts are still obviously just opinions.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3461 on: June 05, 2018, 02:13:07 AM »
The closing songs from You Bet Your Life through We Hold On are all pretty weak, except for Everyday Glory which is a masterpiece IMO. Very uplifting track with really good lyrics. I wish they'd have played this but they seem to have avoided playing  all of their closing tracks from HYF through S&A for some reason.
I agree on Everyday Glory...   No matter what they say,  this is a fantastic song and a great album closer. I too, would had loved to see it played live.. 🎶😎

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3462 on: June 05, 2018, 04:58:34 AM »
I like Everyday Glory too.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3463 on: June 05, 2018, 07:15:20 AM »
Add me to the list of Everyday Glory fans.  Great way to end a great album.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3464 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:24 AM »
But also having said that - I like the closing song for each of the albums that came after as well.  I think I like Everyday Glory better than the rest until The Garden, but I still love those songs in between.