Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 496553 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3395 on: May 26, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »
I don’t consider myself such a fanboy that I can’t see any flaws. I consider Roll the Bones to be pretty bad outside of 3 or 4 stellar cuts.

But ya. The synth era gets way too much hate from the old school crowd. There is some amazing songs in that period. And Power Windows is a masterpiece from start to finish.

And let's keep some perspective:   Rush isn't my favorite band of all time, but they are goddamn close.  I have everything from the first one to the last, and love most of it.  Hemispheres is a top five album of all time for me, and  I sometimes have a hard time picking that over MP and Signals (which I love love love).   This is not a Rush hater here; I just feel that the experiments through the years have all moved the band as much forward as sideways.   For some reason, p/g and Test For Echo have "less forward" in them.   But as much as I bag on it, I firmly believe that there would be no Power Windows if there wasn't a Grace Under Pressure, and I LOVE Power Windows.

I think the sideways/course correcting album was Presto. There was nowhere for the "world's smallest symphony orchestra" to go after that on the road they originally set out on so they had to retrace their steps a bit.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3396 on: May 26, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »

But I disagreed with him on the basis that the PLAYING is what kept it interesting. I have always been fascinated by music with more intricate rhythms instead of the more simplistic approach. Much of the synth laden music that Rush was influenced by at that time lacked the engaging bass and drum patterns that Rush always put into their music.

I’d argue that, at least in the case of Hold Your Fire, the bass absolutely keeps the album interesting, as I think it is one of Geddy’s finer albums playing wise. The utter lack of guitar on that album compared to the keyboards, however, is what I struggled with initially before finally accepting and enjoying the album for what it is. But the comment about how I would probably hate the album if it was not Rush that made it would likely be quite true.

There's plenty of guitar on Hold Your Fire, it's just not your '70's style guitar slinger kind of guitar and it's a bit further down in the mix.

It's also very emotive, but not in the way some might be thinking.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3397 on: May 26, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »

And let's keep some perspective:   Rush isn't my favorite band of all time, but they are goddamn close.  I have everything from the first one to the last, and love most of it.  Hemispheres is a top five album of all time for me, and  I sometimes have a hard time picking that over MP and Signals (which I love love love).   This is not a Rush hater here; I just feel that the experiments through the years have all moved the band as much forward as sideways.   For some reason, p/g and Test For Echo have "less forward" in them.   But as much as I bag on it, I firmly believe that there would be no Power Windows if there wasn't a Grace Under Pressure, and I LOVE Power Windows.

Only a Rush fan with no soul doesn't love Power Windows.

See: TAC

Apparently, you guys chased him away. Or he's in Vegas.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3398 on: May 26, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »
The breakdown portion of Mission is something that I don’t think most synth bands were even capable of .

Most rock bands period......

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3399 on: May 26, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »
Those albums are so good that you're screwing each other up! :lol

As a Rush nerd I can say there is always one song on the synth era on that is a clunker of a song.

Name one?  Roll The Bones is one of the very few multiple clunker albums.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3400 on: May 26, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »
Speed Of Love

BOOM!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3401 on: May 26, 2018, 08:09:09 PM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3402 on: May 26, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
Speed Of Love

BOOM!

Did I misunderstand you? In what world is Counterparts a "synth" album?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3403 on: May 26, 2018, 09:29:46 PM »
Not synth but 80's on.  I'd say from HYF.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3404 on: May 26, 2018, 10:14:05 PM »
Clunkers is a bit of an overstatement. 

There are a few average songs from Signals and P/G (Countdown, Chemistry and Red Lenses), but I wouldn't call them clunkers. 

Power Windows is flawless.  Sure, Emotion Detector isn't nearly as good as the other seven songs (all of which range from great to incredible), but it's still a fine song, even if it was knee deep in that 80's sound.

Second Nature and Tai Shan are the obvious two "clunkers" from Hold Your Fire.  I would say those are the two least best songs of the synth era (1982-1987).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3405 on: May 26, 2018, 10:51:01 PM »
I really like Second Nature.   It's Tai Shan that's the clunker.  And yes, Power Windows is perfection.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3406 on: May 27, 2018, 03:00:00 AM »
Second nature actually used to be my favorite song on Hold your fire but some of the other ones grew on me and took the upper spots, but it is still a fine track.

And to be honest, the last several times I went back to the album, even Tai Shan sounded solid.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3407 on: May 27, 2018, 06:35:51 AM »
Power Windows is flawless. 

The only songs I liked straight out on Power Windows were Territories and Manhattan Project. I learned to really like Marathon, but only after seeing it live. Those are the only 3 PW tracks on my 80's Rush Compilation CD.

On a good day, I can get through Mystic Rhythms, but it's the A Show Of Hands version that I like.

I have no use for anything else on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3408 on: May 27, 2018, 06:36:48 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3409 on: May 27, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »
Yay, quoting ourselves. My turn!

I have no use for anything else on it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3410 on: May 27, 2018, 06:56:57 AM »
So entertaining to see people having a conversation with themselves.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3411 on: May 27, 2018, 07:30:39 AM »
And seeing Archie Bunker, um, I mean Tim so obstinate.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3412 on: May 27, 2018, 07:43:33 AM »
What's obstinate?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3413 on: May 27, 2018, 07:44:56 AM »
If you were a fan of 80's Rush, you'd know the definition.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3414 on: May 27, 2018, 07:47:35 AM »
And seeing Archie Bunker, um, I mean Tim so obstinate.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3415 on: May 27, 2018, 07:55:50 AM »
 :lol

What's a meme?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3416 on: May 27, 2018, 07:56:35 AM »
A great man once pondered that very question. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3417 on: May 27, 2018, 08:06:33 AM »
 :lol

I'm driving to Rye, N.H. for seafood with the old man today. I think I'll put on Power Windows on in your honor.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3418 on: May 27, 2018, 08:24:54 AM »
When taking your father out for lunch, I must say that any music will be appropriate. Yes..even Power Windows..  :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3419 on: May 27, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »
No way.  Sirius 50's station is his jam. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3420 on: May 27, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »
What's Sirius?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3421 on: May 27, 2018, 10:00:24 AM »
Satellite radio

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3422 on: May 27, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
Wow, this discussion got too Sirius!   Lighten up people...  :chill
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3423 on: May 27, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
Not serious.  Some fun banter on TAC's behalf.

And my enjoyment.  :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3424 on: May 27, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
Not serious.  Some fun banter on TAC's behalf.

And my enjoyment.  :lol
Look how I spelled Sirius, lol, based on the posts above..  ; :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3425 on: May 29, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
Those albums are so good that you're screwing each other up! :lol

As a Rush nerd I can say there is always one song on the synth era on that is a clunker of a song.

Name one?  Roll The Bones is one of the very few multiple clunker albums.

Clunkers
GUP:  The Body Electric and Red Lenses (The Enemy Within, Kid Gloves and Between the Wheels are the only songs I'll go out of my way to listen to)
PoW:  The entirety of side 2 (Marathon is very good and Manhattan project is good)
HYF:  Tai Shan and High Water (Mission is the only song I'll go out of my way to listen to)
Presto:  Scars, Superconductor and Hand over Fist (multiple very good songs, including The Pass, Presto, Red Tide and Available Light)
RtB:  Pretty much the whole thing outside of Dreamline, Bravado, Where's My Thing? and Ghost of a Chance (I go out of my way to listen to nothing from this album)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3426 on: May 29, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Presto.  One of my favorite Rush albums.    I also don't get the hate for Tai Shan.  It sucks, no doubt, but not any worse than Kid Gloves or Red Lenses.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3427 on: May 29, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Presto.  One of my favorite Rush albums.    I also don't get the hate for Tai Shan.  It sucks, no doubt, but not any worse than Kid Gloves or Red Lenses.   

Presto is at least a top three post-Signals album and maybe #1.  I agree that Tai Shan and Red Lenses are about equally as bad.  Kid Gloves is the third best song on GUP, which isn't saying much, but I don't mind it.  Worst part is that part in the guitar solo when Alex hits some harmonics and then goes heavy on the whammy bar (something he did with unfortunate frequency on the "synth era" albums).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3428 on: May 29, 2018, 01:16:45 PM »
Clunkers
GUP:  The Body Electric and Red Lenses (The Enemy Within, Kid Gloves and Between the Wheels are the only songs I'll go out of my way to listen to)
Those are two pretty ok-to-good songs. GUP has grown on me over the years, so it isn't as bad as I used to think it was.

PoW:  The entirety of side 2 (Marathon is very good and Manhattan project is good)
I'm sure my feelings about POW have been made clear - it's a fairly flawless album to me, and I like both sides as much as the other.

HYF:  Tai Shan and High Water (Mission is the only song I'll go out of my way to listen to)
I agree with those two - the ending of the album was always a downer for me, but the rest of the 8 songs are pretty good-to-great.

Presto:  Scars, Superconductor and Hand over Fist (multiple very good songs, including The Pass, Presto, Red Tide and Available Light)
As a drummer, I like "Scars" and Neil's hypnotic drumming (which would come back later in his drum solos). "Superconductor" has grown on me over the year, but I'll agree that HOF isn't that amazing.

RtB:  Pretty much the whole thing outside of Dreamline, Bravado, Where's My Thing? and Ghost of a Chance (I go out of my way to listen to nothing from this album)
So, by "pretty much the whole thing" you mean only 60%? Like, that's just over half of the album...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3429 on: May 29, 2018, 01:21:31 PM »
So, by "pretty much the whole thing" you mean only 60%? Like, that's just over half of the album...

Sure...60% clunker and 40% mediocre.  That about sums it up.