Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497555 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3115 on: April 04, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
It's definitely better than Test For Echo.

Wind 'em up and watch 'em go... *quickly leaves thread*

I mean, you probably wouldn't have people arguing against that notion and I'm one that likes Test For Echo for what it is.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3116 on: April 04, 2018, 05:21:01 PM »
I'm still getting familiar with what is Rush heresy and what isn't.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3117 on: April 04, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »
It's almost as though different people prefer different things.

Wait, what?

:P

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3118 on: April 04, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »

I mean, you probably wouldn't have people arguing against that notion and I'm one that likes Test For Echo for what it is.

I don't happen to agree, but it's not a crazy notion -- certainly not as crazy as the notion that GUP is better than anything that came before it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3119 on: April 04, 2018, 07:17:55 PM »
I'm still getting familiar with what is Rush heresy and what isn't.  :lol

Heresy is track seven on Roll the Bones.  ;). It’s also somewhat blasphemous to say it’s one of your favorites from that album.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3120 on: April 04, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »

He does this to me on purpose because I have always claimed that 1) Test For Echo is a top 10 Rush album 2) Is a FAR FAR better attempt at returning to their roots than the overrated Counterparts was and 3) contains one of the best starting 5 songs in the entire Rush catalog.    Time and Motion is freakin brilliant.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3121 on: April 04, 2018, 07:32:49 PM »
He does this to me on purpose because I have always claimed that 1) Test For Echo is a top 10 Rush album 2) Is a FAR FAR better attempt at returning to their roots than the overrated Counterparts was and 3) contains one of the best starting 5 songs in the entire Rush catalog.    Time and Motion is freakin brilliant.

There are only 6 words in this post that make sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3122 on: April 04, 2018, 07:43:44 PM »

Counterparts is freaking amazing though...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3123 on: April 04, 2018, 08:03:33 PM »
Counterparts is great, Test for Echo is solid at best, and Time and Motion sucks monkey balls.

The end.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3124 on: April 04, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »
TFE is alright at best in my opinion. Bottom of the barrel for me in the ranking.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3125 on: April 04, 2018, 08:35:03 PM »

:tup :tup
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3126 on: April 04, 2018, 08:40:53 PM »

CP is ok.   It’s got some really great moments, and some really terrible moments.  But on the whole, CP just felt like they were trying too hard to be heavy and “relevant” again.   They had just come off of two very light and “airy” soft rock albums, and they wanted to prove they had balls again.   But Stick it Out was just Rush trying to imitate the grunge movement.  “Look. We can be heavy too.  Grrrrrr. Look how heavy we are!  Grrrrrr!”   Animate is cool, Cut to the Chase is brilliant.   Nobody’s Hero is too repetitive, heavy handed, hammy and preachy.  Between the Sun and Moon wins my award for all time WORST Rush chorus.  (As in...we couldn’t even think of one, so lets just sing a bunch of nonsense.  For as much as I love TFE, even I admit that Dog Years is pretty bad....and the chorus for Between the Sun and Moon is worse than the chorus for Dog Years and Virtuality combined).   Alien Shore is awesome.  Double Agent is pretty cool.  Was there other stuff on there.   Oh ya, I actually like Cold Fire quite a bit.   But for the most part, it’s a very average album that didn’t accomplish what it set out to do. 

Test For Echo OTOH is amazing.  First 5 tracks out of the gate are perfect 10s in my book.  And honestly, Totem and Dog Years are the only skip tracks.   The lyrics for Virtuality are dated, but that main riff just SLAYS.     Really, everything on that album (with the exception of the two I mentioned) are in constant rotation whenever I get on a Rush kick.   It felt like Rush getting back to being Rush again.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3127 on: April 04, 2018, 08:47:55 PM »
And the band loved it so much that they ignored it on their last four tours (which cannot be said about any other Rush album). :lol :lol

But at least someone loves it. ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3128 on: April 04, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »

Counterparts was overrated because it happened to be better than RtB, which isn’t much of an accomplishment.  Counterparts is in my almost bottom tier, along with GUP.  T4E isn’t great, but it’s at least a couple rungs higher than Counterparts.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3129 on: April 04, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »

CP is ok.   It’s got some really great moments, and some really terrible moments.  But on the whole, CP just felt like they were trying too hard to be heavy and “relevant” again.   They had just come off of two very light and “airy” soft rock albums, and they wanted to prove they had balls again.   But Stick it Out was just Rush trying to imitate the grunge movement.  “Look. We can be heavy too.  Grrrrrr. Look how heavy we are!  Grrrrrr!”   Animate is cool, Cut to the Chase is brilliant.   Nobody’s Hero is too repetitive, heavy handed, hammy and preachy.  Between the Sun and Moon wins my award for all time WORST Rush chorus.  (As in...we couldn’t even think of one, so lets just sing a bunch of nonsense.  For as much as I love TFE, even I admit that Dog Years is pretty bad....and the chorus for Between the Sun and Moon is worse than the chorus for Dog Years and Virtuality combined).   Alien Shore is awesome.  Double Agent is pretty cool.  Was there other stuff on there.   Oh ya, I actually like Cold Fire quite a bit.   But for the most part, it’s a very average album that didn’t accomplish what it set out to do. 

Test For Echo OTOH is amazing.  First 5 tracks out of the gate are perfect 10s in my book.  And honestly, Totem and Dog Years are the only skip tracks.   The lyrics for Virtuality are dated, but that main riff just SLAYS.     Really, everything on that album (with the exception of the two I mentioned) are in constant rotation whenever I get on a Rush kick.   It felt like Rush getting back to being Rush again.

I love Test for Echo - a couple weeks ago I was on a TFE kick and listened to it a bunch of times. I too would prefer better lyrics for Dog Years, but I don't really care that much.  However, having said that, I do like Counterparts better.  I *love* Stick It Out; I know it gets criticized for the lyrics and whatever but - I think that song isn't them *trying* to be heavy - it is them being heavy-ish in a Rush way, and kicking ass while doing it.  And, I also like Between the Sun and Moon. :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3130 on: April 04, 2018, 09:32:10 PM »
I really like Nobody's Hero. Then again we've previously established my Rush opinions are all jacked up.

I think The Big Money might be my absolute favorite Rush song.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3131 on: April 04, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »
See, one of the benefits of me diving into them so late is that I don't give a hoot about them "coming back" or any of that. All I hear are tasty tunes. Some are less enjoyable than others, but man Counterparts has a smooth swagger to it that I just love. Double Agent alone puts it above the highest highs of TFE. Which are more like mids, really.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3132 on: April 05, 2018, 04:57:28 AM »
I've been following this thread on and off for a while and I'm a fan of rush but I have question to you guys:

Why is Snakes and Arrows rated so low on some of these lists? I honestly, no joke, think it's rush's greatest album.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3133 on: April 05, 2018, 05:11:56 AM »
I've been following this thread on and off for a while and I'm a fan of rush but I have question to you guys:

Why is Snakes and Arrows rated so low on some of these lists? I honestly, no joke, think it's rush's greatest album.

the answer is filler

the end
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3134 on: April 05, 2018, 06:17:58 AM »
Counterparts is an average album? There's only one weak song on the album and that's The Speed Of Love. the rest of the album is ass kicking.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:36:36 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3135 on: April 05, 2018, 06:31:23 AM »
Counterparts is an average album? there's only one week song on the album and that's The Speed Of Love. the rest of the album is ass kicking.
Absolutely this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3136 on: April 05, 2018, 07:48:40 AM »
I consider myself a pretty big Rush fan, and even like all the eras, but man do my opinions differ from the collective.   Holy crap. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3137 on: April 05, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »

I haven't done a ranking, and I'm not really going to, but I think Snakes and Arrows is great.  It was definitely a grower for me when it was released, but after a while I came to think it was fantastic.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3138 on: April 05, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
Been reading this thread a lot lately, but haven't had a chance to reply so here are my thoughts on a few topics that have been brought up:
-Grace Under Pressure is pretty good, not great, but not awful. Sure, the production is a bit cold and the overwhelming synths give the album a certain sound that is quite different than what came before or after it, but I think given the nature of the lyrics on the album, the sound performed and produced fit the album quite well. It definitely took awhile for me to warm up to the album, but I've grown to really like it and enjoy almost every song. I think it also says something that the band themselves have played every song on the album live (though "Afterimage" didn't get played very long on the GUP tour - I would LOVE an official GUP Tour show that was full-length, and filled out with all the alternate songs mixed throughout the tour, especially a decent soundboard recording of "Afterimage").

-Counterparts is one of my favorites, definitely top-half of the pile, and probably my favorite album of the band's fourth phase. It just rocks, plain and simple, and has my favorite post-YYZ instrumental on it ("Leave That Thing Alone"), and some great drumming songs (which appeals to me, of course). Test For Echo is...good, but not great. It's not as great as CP but it does have some great song-writing on it. Whoever said "Time And Motion" is good - I totally agree. It's a shame that it wasn't played more on the TFE tour (nor is there a decent soundboard recording of it that I've found). "Virtuality" is extremely dated, but still pretty quirky, and songs like "Dog Years" and "Totem" are pretty out-there, but the rest of the album is still listenable. I think having the Neil Peart "A Work In Progress" 2-VHS set that details his drum parts on the album really made me appreciate the album more. I watched that video set all the time when I was in high school, back when I started getting into Rush just after 2000/2001.
Interesting point that was brought up, though - the band hadn't played any TFE songs on their last four tours, when they even performed a song from Presto (another often-neglected record). Maybe the songs just reminded them/Neil of a time that was just before their hiatus/his tragedies, or perhaps they just don't find the material that interesting to play? That would also explain why they hadn't played many songs from HYF/Presto/RTB, though I always said that newer songs would've worked well given the deepening of Geddy's voice.

-Snakes & Arrows is another "just good" album for me. I think I liked it a lot when it first came out, especially the opening run of the first 6 songs, but "Far Cry" has since grown a bit stale for me, and I just don't find myself spinning this one as much as VT or CA, and of those three, I consider it the weakest of them. I'd rather listen to the original Vapor Trails than S&A these days, but that isn't to say there aren't good songs on S&A. "Spindrift" is a favorite, as is "The Main Monkey Business" and "Malignant Narcissism". I also enjoy the pairing of "Hope"/"Faithless", but I can sort of see how some fans find the album to be full of "filler".

And to end my long post, I wanted to see if you guys would rank the albums within each phase, rather than the whole discography! It should provide an interesting and different challenge for everyone.

Caress Of Steel
Fly By Night
Rush

Permanent Waves
Hemispheres
A Farewell To Kings
Moving Pictures

Power Windows
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire

Counterparts
Presto
Test For Echo
Roll The Bones

Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails
Snakes & Arrows

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3139 on: April 05, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »

the answer is filler

the end

I agree with this.  I seem to rate S&A higher than most here, but even I agree it has a bunch of filler.  It starts REALLY strong.  I think Far Cry and Armor and Sword are better than anything since Signals (with the possible exception of Earthshine).  However, it goes downhill pretty quickly from there.  Workin' Them Angels, which the band seemed to like a lot, was just meh, and pretty much everything on the second half of the album other than the instrumentals is virtually unmemorable.

Counterparts is an well below average album.?

ftfy

-Grace Under Pressure is pretty good, not great, but not awful. Sure, the production is a bit cold and the overwhelming synths give the album a certain sound that is quite different than what came before or after it, but I think given the nature of the lyrics on the album, the sound performed and produced fit the album quite well.

This is where my criticism of GUP differs from most others.  I don't really think the synths are particularly overwhelming.  There's certainly no more synth on GUP than was on Signals, which I absolutely love.  Of course, the exception is Red Sector A (as someone else wrote earlier in this thread, a Rush song with no bass is just a waste -- although even I'll admit that the more recent live versions are very good).  The biggest problems with GUP for me are that the drums are weak and reserved and the keys and guitars are harsh and overly trebly.  It takes effort to listen to more than one or two songs at a time.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3140 on: April 05, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »

And to end my long post, I wanted to see if you guys would rank the albums within each phase, rather than the whole discography! It should provide an interesting and different challenge for everyone.

Caress Of Steel
Fly By Night
Rush

Permanent Waves
Hemispheres
A Farewell To Kings
Moving Pictures

Power Windows
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire

Counterparts
Presto
Test For Echo
Roll The Bones

Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails
Snakes & Arrows

-Marc.

I think I'll try this.

Fly By Night
Caress of Steel
Rush

Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Hemispheres
A Farewell to Kings

Power Windows
Hold Your Fire
Grace Under Pressure
Signals

Presto
Counterparts
Test for Echo
Roll the Bones

Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails
Snakes and Arrows

My top five would be:
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Power Windows
Clockwork Angels
Presto
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3141 on: April 05, 2018, 11:58:35 AM »
2112/Fly By Night
Caress of Steel
Rush

A Farewell to Kings/Hemispheres
Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures

Power Windows
Signals/Hold Your Fire/Grace Under Pressure

Counterparts
Roll the Bones
Presto/Test For Echo

Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails Remastered
Snakes and Arrows
Vapor Trails
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3142 on: April 05, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »
Neato.

Caress of Steel
Fly By Night
Rush

Hemispheres
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
A Farewell To Kings

Power Windows
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire

Counterparts
Presto
Roll The Bones
Test For Echo

Clockwork Angels
Snakes & Arrows
Vapor Trails

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3143 on: April 05, 2018, 12:30:53 PM »
Here's my take. Bit easier than trying to do the whole thing.

Fly By Night
Caress of Steel
Rush

A Farewell To Kings
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Hemispheres

Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
Signals
Hold Your Fire

Counterparts
Test For Echo
Presto
Roll The Bones

Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails (Remastered)
Snakes & Arrows
Vapor Trails
Vapor Trails (Remixed)
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3144 on: April 05, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »

Interesting point that was brought up, though - the band hadn't played any TFE songs on their last four tours, when they even performed a song from Presto (another often-neglected record). Maybe the songs just reminded them/Neil of a time that was just before their hiatus/his tragedies, or perhaps they just don't find the material that interesting to play? That would also explain why they hadn't played many songs from HYF/Presto/RTB, though I always said that newer songs would've worked well given the deepening of Geddy's voice.

Eh?  The five songs that were originally played on the Roll the Bones all got played by the band at some point in the 21st century, Presto was represented on two of the last three tours, and Hold Your Fire was represented on four of the last five tours, although I definitely wish they would have dug deeper in regards to Hold Your Fire.

Snakes and Arrows is good, but most of the others are simply better.

My only beef with the album is the sound of it.  No, it doesn't give you ear fatigue like Vapor Trails, but it's so dry that the album doesn't have much personality as a result. Still a good collection of songs, nonetheless. [/quote]

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3145 on: April 05, 2018, 06:37:31 PM »
I agree that the quality of their discography is just insane. They were one of the most consistent bands of all time! Couldn't do a Rush album ranking, even if I had a gun pointed at my head.

That's always been my view.

I don't think that's inaccurate, but I wouldn't say they are unique in that way.   Maybe once you factor in the number of albums.   But they DO have duds, at least relatively (S/T, p/g).   I'd put Zeppelin's catalogue up against them, as well as Genesis and Aerosmith.  Certainly the Beatles, The Cars, Iron Maiden, and AC/DC.   For me, since I like Tony Martin, maybe even Sabbath.   

The problem is, of course, many of those other bands have more frequent lineup changes.

Well, this isn't exactly news, but I don't consider any album to be a dud. Say what you want about the first album, but it's got energy, passion and commitment and it may be primitive compared with what they would become and even Fly By Night, there's still a lot to like about it.

It's probably Gene Simmons favorite Rush album anyway.

Well I don't think The Beatles ever released a dud album either. But that's a "bigger picture" issue for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3146 on: April 05, 2018, 06:51:47 PM »

I just don't care about "the mix."

I can't understand this.  The mix is one of the most significant facts in how an album sounds.  It's how the instruments are balanced.  A good mix can't really make bad songs good, but a bad mix sure can ruin songs that might otherwise be good.  Compare the mixes on Moving Pictures and GUP, and the importance of the mix becomes obvious.

And likewise - I don't understand those for whom it matters enough to ruin an album for them. There might be an occasion where I wish the drums were a little louder or the vocals, etc, and I guess that's me talking about the mix without calling it that, but in the end, it doesn't change my feeling on the album.  I have absolutely no problem with Grace Under Pressure, and it doesn't sound worse to me than Moving Pictures.  But even if it did - it wouldn't make it a worse album for that reason.  That would be just a separate category in my mind - album a is better, but album b sounds better. Let's take Vapor Trails, since pretty much everyone agrees that it's the worst sounding Rush album.  I like it better than the self titled.  When I'm comparing the two as to which album I prefer, the mix doesn't enter into the equation at all.  The self titled might sound better, but I'll never rank it higher than Vapor Trails. 

It always baffles me when someone says an album is bad, and uses the mix, the production (which I used to see more often), or something similar as a reason why.

Believe it or not, I agree with you, for the most part.  Mix and mastering means squat to me; "Hotter Than Hell" by Kiss is a sonic mess but I love that album.

My beef with p/g is in the songwriting, the arrangement and the sound of the instruments.   I LOVE melody.  I like epic melodies like on Subdivisions, New World Man, Analog Kid, Marathon, and Manhattan Project.    I think "Kid Gloves" is a disjointed mess.  I think Red Lenses sounds forced>   And while Neal Peart is on my Mt. Rushmore of drummers, that fill on Red Sector A right before "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gates..." sounds SO FRIGGIN' LAME for a drummer of Neal's caliber...

I give that record a listen about three times a year just to see if things changed, and they never do....

I have to think I've argued this point with you before, but there isn't supposed to be any melody on Grace Under Pressure. It was designed as a harsh sounding -- images and atonal music coming at you kind of record.  That's the theme going.

I totally understand why you don't like it if that kind of record is not your thing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3147 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:33 PM »
Little-known known fact about Grace Under Pressure, Neil Peart did not use any of us 6, 8, 10 inch concert toms on the album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3148 on: April 05, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »

Imagine that.

Different eyes see different things....

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3149 on: April 05, 2018, 07:21:28 PM »

Different eyes see different things
Different hearts
Beat on different strings

Who knew?