Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497726 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3080 on: April 03, 2018, 11:51:35 AM »
Stadler complains about Rush's image but is a diehard KISS fan. I don't get it.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3081 on: April 03, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »
Stadler complains about Rush's image but is a diehard KISS fan. I don't get it.  :lol

I'm the one who raised the issue, but Stadler gets grief for it.  LOL!

As with the mix, the image thing just made an already bad situation worse.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3082 on: April 03, 2018, 12:03:10 PM »

You brought it up, but Stadler took it to the next level by posting pics.  There's nothing wrong with that Rush band picture. 

Also, you secretly like Grace as well. It's just buried deep in your subconscious, but it's the real reason for your forum name... :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3083 on: April 03, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »
Yeah, but I also like to affectionately jab Stadler about his mancrush on Gene Simmons/KISS, so I couldn't resist  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3084 on: April 03, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
7. Hold Your Fire

18. Grace Under Pressure

That makes like no sense.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3085 on: April 03, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
OK..

1. Moving Pictures
2. Hemispheres
3. 2112
4. Permanent Waves
5. Counterparts
6. Signals
7. A Farewell To Kings

8. Presto
9. Grace Under Pressure
10. Vapor Trails
11. Clockwork Angels
12. Power Windows
13. Fly By Night
14. Rush
15. Roll The Bones
16. Hold Your Fire

17. Caress Of Steel
18. Test For Echo
19. Snakes And Arrows
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3086 on: April 03, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
All this GUP talk I figured I should post my Rush tattoo.  My first Rush show was the GUP tour in 1984.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3087 on: April 03, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
That's one hairy egg! ;D

Actually, awesome tattoo, Joe. How long have you had that?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: April 03, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »
Gray too! :lol

5 or 6 years.  I keep saying I'll get one or two more.  Not going crazy though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3089 on: April 03, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »
You should get one right above your ass because that is the real Vapor Trail! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3090 on: April 03, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »
You should get one right above your ass because that is the real Vapor Trail! :lol

More like a bio hazard sign. :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3091 on: April 03, 2018, 03:07:36 PM »
This may, partly, explain why you're so wrong about Grace Under Pressure.  It's not really that you don't like the melodies, you just think you don't because that picture influenced you negativity and got into your head. :)

Could be.    Better:

Best:

Very unfortunate:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3092 on: April 03, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
That's the Power Window's Alex and I love that look.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3093 on: April 03, 2018, 03:11:29 PM »
1st pic: 70s Tom Petty
2nd pic: Angry Grandpa
3rd pic: Handsome fella

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3094 on: April 03, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
That's the Power Window's Alex and I love that look.

And that look loves you.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3095 on: April 03, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »

You brought it up, but Stadler took it to the next level by posting pics.  There's nothing wrong with good about that Rush band picture. 

Also, you secretly like Grace as well. It's just buried deep in your subconscious, but it's the real reason for your forum name... :)

LOL!  You outed me!  "p/g0484" was taken.

Also, ftfy.

This may, partly, explain why you're so wrong about Grace Under Pressure.  It's not really that you don't like the melodies, you just think you don't because that picture influenced you negativity and got into your head. :)

Could be.    Better:

Best:

Very unfortunate:

Power Windows Alex looks like Alan Hunter (one of the original MTV VJs), and recent Alex is telling some kids to get off his lawn.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3096 on: April 03, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
I'm surprised Kattleox hasn't outed me yet; that middle picture of Alex is me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3097 on: April 03, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »
I'm surprised Kattleox hasn't outed me yet; that middle picture of Alex is me.

Don't be so surprised - it was the first thing I thought of when I saw it!  :rollin

Also, here's a question from a 90s baby: what was the deal with the broad shoulders in 80s clothing? The last pic of Alex should be captioned, "When you have a photoshoot at 3 but a business meeting at 4."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3098 on: April 03, 2018, 04:09:14 PM »
You think that's bad you should have seen the shoulder pads on chicks clothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3099 on: April 03, 2018, 04:36:52 PM »
You think that's bad you should have seen the shoulder pads on chicks clothing.

Chicks' clothing? Plenty of dudes wearing showlda ma pads.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3100 on: April 03, 2018, 04:43:21 PM »
Also, here's a question from a 90s baby: what was the deal with the broad shoulders in 80s clothing? The last pic of Alex should be captioned, "When you have a photoshoot at 3 but a business meeting at 4."

I lived through it and have no answer.  Of course, my "fashion" in the 80s was jeans or shorts and a band t-shirt and high-top sneakers, except when I was in high school in the first half of the decade, in which case it was khakis and a polo shirt (over my band t-shirt) and slip-on Vans.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3101 on: April 03, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
1st pic: 70s Tom Petty
2nd pic: Angry Grandpa
3rd pic: Handsome fella

Here's what I think:
1st pic: fine
2nd pic: fine
3rd pic: fine

Nothing wrong with any of them.  But I think it's now clear that Stadler would love Grace Under Pressure if Alex (and probably the others) had a different look. ;)

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #3102 on: April 04, 2018, 02:03:06 AM »
I routinely view Grace Under Pressure as one of, if not, my favorite Rush record. Something about that album just speaks to me and I love it.

It is my favourite Rush album. It took me a long time to 'get' (a term I loathe, tbh) Red Lenses but in the end either Stockholm Syndrome kicked in or I simply got over the electronic(?) drums not suiting it very well and I rather enjoy it now.

Moving Pictures is a close second but P/G has a bleak quality to it that I absolutely adore and that's almost unique (I imagine it's not unique, but I've not come across another album quite like it). It captured the mood of British music of the time and put it through the Rush filter to produce a special album.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3103 on: April 04, 2018, 08:46:31 AM »
I routinely view Grace Under Pressure as one of, if not, my favorite Rush record. Something about that album just speaks to me and I love it.

It is my favourite Rush album. It took me a long time to 'get' (a term I loathe, tbh) Red Lenses but in the end either Stockholm Syndrome kicked in or I simply got over the electronic(?) drums not suiting it very well and I rather enjoy it now.

Moving Pictures is a close second but P/G has a bleak quality to it that I absolutely adore and that's almost unique (I imagine it's not unique, but I've not come across another album quite like it). It captured the mood of British music of the time and put it through the Rush filter to produce a special album.

p/g is almost unique?  Listen to Ghost In The Machine, or Zenyatta Mondatta.   

To Lethean, it's not really about the "look" per se - as someone duly noted, I love Kiss, and also Marillion - so it's CLEARLY not about the look.  But it's the vibe.   If you ask me, it's the only time that Rush REALLY seemed to follow the trends of the time, as opposed to forging their own trail, at least since the first album.   
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:16:43 PM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3104 on: April 04, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
But it's the vibe.   If you ask me, it's the only time that Rush REALLY seemed to follow the trends of the time, as opposed to forging their own trail, at least since the first album.   

This is exactly right.  Rush has always sponged up what was happening with other bands and converted it into something "Rushy."  Vital signs is a good example of that.  However, starting with GUP, they seemingly decided to go all-in on the new wave trends that were popular and didn't add enough of Rush's blend of 11 herbs and spices to make it uniquely theirs.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3105 on: April 04, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
I strongly disagree because that led to the GOAT Rush album Power Windows and that album makes my heart weep  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3106 on: April 04, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »
I can barely entertain the thought in my mind of Grace Under Pressure being Rush's best album, as it's not Power Windows and so not the clear front runner as best album from that era. Add to that it has at least one clunker on it (and I'd argue two), and while great it's not even in discussion as the best imo.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3107 on: April 04, 2018, 12:05:21 PM »
It's almost as though different people prefer different things.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3108 on: April 04, 2018, 12:10:25 PM »
But it's the vibe.   If you ask me, it's the only time that Rush REALLY seemed to follow the trends of the time, as opposed to forging their own trail, at least since the first album.   

This is exactly right.  Rush has always sponged up what was happening with other bands and converted it into something "Rushy."  Vital signs is a good example of that.  However, starting with GUP, they seemingly decided to go all-in on the new wave trends that were popular and didn't add enough of Rush's blend of 11 herbs and spices to make it uniquely theirs.

Sorry, but you're both wrong.  Pg, stop disparaging your namesake. ;)

In all seriousness, Rush always did things on their own terms.  Grace, and the albums after it, are absolutely Rushy.  They incorporated new sounds, that they were very much into, and made them their own.  This probably includes their attire as well - what they chose in the 80s was probably a reaction to what they had chosen in the 70s.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3109 on: April 04, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »

Vital Signs has has a Reggae vibe to it and sounds like something The Police would have done.  New World Man definitely has a Police influence. Even though I kind of like The Police, NWM is one of my least favorite Rush songs yet it still gets lots of airplay.  Songs like Analog Kid, Grand Designs, or Mission would be much better to hear on the radio.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3110 on: April 04, 2018, 12:55:24 PM »
It's almost as though different people prefer different things.

Different eyes see different things
Different hearts
Beat on different strings
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3111 on: April 04, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »

Sorry, but you're both wrong.  Pg, stop disparaging your namesake. ;)

In all seriousness, Rush always did things on their own terms.  Grace, and the albums after it, are absolutely Rushy.  They incorporated new sounds, that they were very much into, and made them their own.  This probably includes their attire as well - what they chose in the 80s was probably a reaction to what they had chosen in the 70s.

See, if we were talking about Signals (number 4 on my list) or Power Windows (number 8) - which bookend p/g - you might be right. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3112 on: April 04, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »
I am right.  :) You might not like Grace Under Pressure, but it's still just as Rush as anything else, and it's what they wanted to do. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3113 on: April 04, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
It's definitely better than Test For Echo.

Wind 'em up and watch 'em go... *quickly leaves thread*

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3114 on: April 04, 2018, 04:02:17 PM »
Grace Under Pressure . . . [is] what they wanted to do.

Well...we've finally found some common ground.