Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497592 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3045 on: April 01, 2018, 11:37:41 AM »
something like this I guess.  Honestly the group from 2-15 is so close it doesn't really even make sense to rank them.  I know what is first and last and that is about it.  The quality of this discography is just ridiculous.

1. Moving Pictures

2. Permanent Waves
3. Hemispheres
4. Power Windows
5. 2112
6. A Farewell To Kings
7. Signals
8. Grace Under Pressure
9. Counterparts
10. Hold Your Fire
11. Presto
12. Roll The Bones
13. Fly By Night
14. Test For Echo
15. Vapor Trails

16. Clockwork Angels
17. Caress Of Steel
18. Rush

19. Snakes & Arrows
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3046 on: April 01, 2018, 02:05:57 PM »
I agree that the quality of their discography is just insane. They were one of the most consistent bands of all time! Couldn't do a Rush album ranking, even if I had a gun pointed at my head.

But my top contenders for the number 1 spot would be: Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3047 on: April 01, 2018, 02:27:45 PM »
I couldn't rank them if my life depended on it. I love almost every album and they all satisfy different moods.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3048 on: April 02, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »
Why not?

1. Hemispheres
2. Moving Pictures
3. Permanent Waves
4. A Farewell to Kings

5. Signals
6. 2112

7. Fly By Night

8. Presto
9. Caress of Steel

10. Snakes and Arrows
11. Vapor Trails
12. Rush
13. Test for Echo
14. Clockwork Angels
15. Power Windows

16. Counterparts
17. Grace Under Pressure
18. Hold Your Fire

19. Roll the Bones

P.S. I think I did this before in this thread, and I'm sure this list is different.  This time, I grouped albums together in situations where the order could be different depending on my mood on a given day.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3049 on: April 02, 2018, 10:12:06 AM »
1. Power Windows
2. Moving Pictures
3. Permanent Waves
4. Hemispheres
5. 2112
6. A Farewell To Kings
7. Counterparts
8. Signals
9. Grace Under Pressure
10. Clockwork Angels
11. Presto
12. Vapor Trails
13. Hold Your Fire
14. Fly By Night
15. Roll The Bones
16. Test For Echo
17. Snakes & Arrows
18. Caress Of Steel
19. Rush

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3050 on: April 02, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »

P.S. I think I did this before in this thread, and I'm sure this list is different.  This time, I grouped albums together in situations where the order could be different depending on my mood on a given day.

Me too; I'm tempted to do it again, but I'm afraid it will be different.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3051 on: April 02, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »

Me too; I'm tempted to do it again, but I'm afraid it will be different.

You've got nothing to fear but fear itself.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3052 on: April 02, 2018, 06:29:56 PM »
The Rankings
Part V of Fear

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3053 on: April 02, 2018, 08:03:34 PM »

I'm a pretty big prog fan, but honestly I think Rush are at their best writing 4-6 minute songs rather than huge prog epics. I like 2112 as much as the next guy (or more, or less, I don't really know how the next guy feels about any particular Rush song to be honest), but it's got some sections that I think are pretty weak, or just forgettable. Whereas Roll The Bones is just quality songs all the way through.

I think that's a fair assessment. I don't think I would rank Roll The Bones (at least the studio versions) as one of my favorite Rush albums, but there are six songs (live) from that album I think are arguably as good as the six songs from Permanent Waves.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3054 on: April 02, 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
I agree that the quality of their discography is just insane. They were one of the most consistent bands of all time! Couldn't do a Rush album ranking, even if I had a gun pointed at my head.

That's always been my view.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3055 on: April 03, 2018, 06:34:04 AM »

That's always been my view.

I don't think that's inaccurate, but I wouldn't say they are unique in that way.   Maybe once you factor in the number of albums.   But they DO have duds, at least relatively (S/T, p/g).   I'd put Zeppelin's catalogue up against them, as well as Genesis and Aerosmith.  Certainly the Beatles, The Cars, Iron Maiden, and AC/DC.   For me, since I like Tony Martin, maybe even Sabbath.   

The problem is, of course, many of those other bands have more frequent lineup changes.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3056 on: April 03, 2018, 08:24:56 AM »
But they don't at all have duds.  The self titled, for me, is the weakest one, but still not a dud, and a lot of fans would rank it much higher.  And Grace Under Pressure is one of their best. :)

But I agree that there are other bands who don't have duds. Most of the ones I'm thinking of don't have as many albums as Rush, but DT is certainly one for me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3057 on: April 03, 2018, 08:46:20 AM »
But they don't at all have duds.  The self titled, for me, is the weakest one, but still not a dud, and a lot of fans would rank it much higher.  And Grace Under Pressure is one of their best. :)

But I agree that there are other bands who don't have duds. Most of the ones I'm thinking of don't have as many albums as Rush, but DT is certainly one for me.

We may disagree on certain other bands, but this is where we totally agree.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3058 on: April 03, 2018, 09:31:42 AM »

We may disagree on certain other bands, but this is where we totally agree.  :biggrin:

:) And obviously since we do agree, someone else who might happen to live in CT is sadly mistaken...

There's something else we agree on as well.  Maybe I should post about it in the appropriate thread... 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3059 on: April 03, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »

:) And obviously since we do agree, someone else who might happen to live in CT is sadly mistaken...

There's something else we agree on as well.  Maybe I should post about it in the appropriate thread...

You're all wrong.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.   You're so wrong, you're almost right again.  Wrong.

:)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3060 on: April 03, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »

The gentleman from Connecticut is quite right about GUP.  The drumming is weak.  The guitars and most of the keyboards are harsh and tinny.  The mix has way too much high end.  The Enemy Within and Between the Wheels are above average to really good.  Kid Gloves and DEW are solid.  The rest is just bleh (particularly The Body Electric).  I will say that the album had some potential, which is evidenced by how much better Red Sector A sounds in recent live versions.  Stronger guitar tones and keyboard patches might have given us a much less disappointing album.

I went through this in quite a bit of detail a few months ago:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=33827.msg2378435#msg2378435

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3061 on: April 03, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »
The Body Electric freaking rocks. Take it back!  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3062 on: April 03, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »
I don't really care about any of those things, except I disagree that the drumming is weak, but I may be the exception on that.  I just don't care about "the mix."  What's important to me are the songs, and they're all either very good or great.  Including The Body Electric.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3063 on: April 03, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »
The Body Electric freaking rocks. Take it back!  :biggrin:

If only they could take it back!  Absolutely a bottom 10 Rush song (not that I care to rank bad songs).

I just don't care about "the mix."

I can't understand this.  The mix is one of the most significant facts in how an album sounds.  It's how the instruments are balanced.  A good mix can't really make bad songs good, but a bad mix sure can ruin songs that might otherwise be good.  Compare the mixes on Moving Pictures and GUP, and the importance of the mix becomes obvious.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3064 on: April 03, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
The mix on those albums doesn't bother me either, but that's because they're from the early 80s. I just take them as '80s sounding albums' and to be honest I think the 80s sound works wonderfully on those albums... For me personally 'mix' only comes into question on modern albums that have no reason to sound tinny or muddy or all around poor, like DT's ADTOE. Or Vapor Trails. Vapor Trails had no excuse to sound that terrible at all.

I would be interested in hearing some dudes rerecord P/g with modern equipment if only to hear what it would sound like today.

Also I think P/g is better than MP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3065 on: April 03, 2018, 10:38:39 AM »
For me personally 'mix' only comes into question on modern albums that have no reason to sound tinny or muddy or all around poor, like DT's ADTOE. Or Vapor Trails. Vapor Trails had no excuse to sound that terrible at all.

Not sure what's wrong with ADTOE, but Vapor Trails was a mastering problem, not a bad mix.

I would be interested in hearing some dudes rerecord P/g with modern equipment if only to hear what it would sound like today.

I'll agree with that.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3066 on: April 03, 2018, 10:39:27 AM »
Can't pass up an opportunity to disagree with Stads!

I routinely view Grace Under Pressure as one of, if not, my favorite Rush record. Something about that album just speaks to me and I love it.

Considering how much I lean to a more hard rock/metal sound in my music, I'm even surprised by how much I just love that record.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: April 03, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
For me personally 'mix' only comes into question on modern albums that have no reason to sound tinny or muddy or all around poor, like DT's ADTOE. Or Vapor Trails. Vapor Trails had no excuse to sound that terrible at all.

Not sure what's wrong with ADTOE, but Vapor Trails was a mastering problem, not a bad mix.

ADTOE is very heavy on mids; sounds like you're listening to it with a blanket thrown over the speaker. For a 2011 album, and given the band's history of great sounding albums, it's utterly baffling. Just my opinion though.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:tup

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3068 on: April 03, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »
Can't pass up an opportunity to disagree with Stads!

I routinely view Grace Under Pressure as one of, if not, my favorite Rush record. Something about that album just speaks to me and I love it.

Considering how much I lean to a more hard rock/metal sound in my music, I'm even surprised by how much I just love that record.

Maybe it's my nostalgia glasses talking since P/g was the first Rush album I heard, but it's still one of my favorites from the band!

Red Sector A, Distant Early Warning and The Enemy Within, are all supremely epic songs!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3069 on: April 03, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »

I can't understand this.  The mix is one of the most significant facts in how an album sounds.  It's how the instruments are balanced.  A good mix can't really make bad songs good, but a bad mix sure can ruin songs that might otherwise be good.  Compare the mixes on Moving Pictures and GUP, and the importance of the mix becomes obvious.

And likewise - I don't understand those for whom it matters enough to ruin an album for them. There might be an occasion where I wish the drums were a little louder or the vocals, etc, and I guess that's me talking about the mix without calling it that, but in the end, it doesn't change my feeling on the album.  I have absolutely no problem with Grace Under Pressure, and it doesn't sound worse to me than Moving Pictures.  But even if it did - it wouldn't make it a worse album for that reason.  That would be just a separate category in my mind - album a is better, but album b sounds better. Let's take Vapor Trails, since pretty much everyone agrees that it's the worst sounding Rush album.  I like it better than the self titled.  When I'm comparing the two as to which album I prefer, the mix doesn't enter into the equation at all.  The self titled might sound better, but I'll never rank it higher than Vapor Trails. 

It always baffles me when someone says an album is bad, and uses the mix, the production (which I used to see more often), or something similar as a reason why.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3070 on: April 03, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
GUP was my first “new” Rush album.   (I first heard Rush at a 6th grade graduation party just a few months before Signals was released...but it was just one song.  I wouldn’t hit full on Rush fanboi until mid-1983)

I played it to death when it first came out.   And yes, I even LOVE Red Lenses.   I think the word play is brilliant.   In retrospect, it hasn’t really aged very well.   I personally think the chorus for Body Electric is rather klunky.   But all in all, there’s not a bad song on the album.  But I would put The Enemy Within and The Body Electric as my least favorites. 

Aw heck....

Between the Wheels
Red Sector A
Afterimage
Distant Early Warning
Red Lenses
Kid Gloves
The Enemy Within
The Body Electric
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3071 on: April 03, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »

And likewise - I don't understand those for whom it matters enough to ruin an album for them. There might be an occasion where I wish the drums were a little louder or the vocals, etc, and I guess that's me talking about the mix without calling it that, but in the end, it doesn't change my feeling on the album.  I have absolutely no problem with Grace Under Pressure, and it doesn't sound worse to me than Moving Pictures.  But even if it did - it wouldn't make it a worse album for that reason.  That would be just a separate category in my mind - album a is better, but album b sounds better. Let's take Vapor Trails, since pretty much everyone agrees that it's the worst sounding Rush album.  I like it better than the self titled.  When I'm comparing the two as to which album I prefer, the mix doesn't enter into the equation at all.  The self titled might sound better, but I'll never rank it higher than Vapor Trails. 

It always baffles me when someone says an album is bad, and uses the mix, the production (which I used to see more often), or something similar as a reason why.

Believe it or not, I agree with you, for the most part.  Mix and mastering means squat to me; "Hotter Than Hell" by Kiss is a sonic mess but I love that album.

My beef with p/g is in the songwriting, the arrangement and the sound of the instruments.   I LOVE melody.  I like epic melodies like on Subdivisions, New World Man, Analog Kid, Marathon, and Manhattan Project.    I think "Kid Gloves" is a disjointed mess.  I think Red Lenses sounds forced>   And while Neal Peart is on my Mt. Rushmore of drummers, that fill on Red Sector A right before "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gates..." sounds SO FRIGGIN' LAME for a drummer of Neal's caliber...

I give that record a listen about three times a year just to see if things changed, and they never do....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3072 on: April 03, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »
1. Hemispheres
2. A Farewell To Kings (I just bought the Sector box with the 5.1 mix... this is damn close to no. 1)
3. Moving Pictures
4. Signals
5. Presto
6. Fly By Night

7. Hold Your Fire
8. Power Windows
9. Feedback
10. 2112
11. Caress Of Steel

12. Permanent Waves
13. Snakes And Arrows
14. Counterparts
15. Clockwork Angels
16. Vapor Trails
17. Rush

18. Grace Under Pressure
19. Roll The Bones
20. Test For Echo

There are a lot of albums here that are virtual ties, but the groups are fairly indicative of the "tiers".   I do listen to almost all of them though; the only ones I never really listen to are TFE and the first record. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3073 on: April 03, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »

And likewise - I don't understand those for whom it matters enough to ruin an album for them. There might be an occasion where I wish the drums were a little louder or the vocals, etc, and I guess that's me talking about the mix without calling it that, but in the end, it doesn't change my feeling on the album.

The mix is just one of many reasons why GUP is not good (I hesitate to say "bad," but it's certainly not good).  If, for example, MP were mixed like GUP and we were comparing it to Hemispheres, then that might tip the scale toward Hemispheres, but I'd still love MP.  With GUP, there are many other reasons why I don't like it much.

GUP was my first “new” Rush album.   (I first heard Rush at a 6th grade graduation party just a few months before Signals was released...but it was just one song.  I wouldn’t hit full on Rush fanboi until mid-1983)

I'm a few years older than you, but I got into Rush around the same time (9th/10th grade for me).  I was first exposed to Subdivisions and Countdown, which were played on fairly regular rotation on MTV, and I had gotten pretty well into the back catalog by the time GUP was released.  Needless to say (given what I've already written here), it was a HUGE disappointment in pretty much every way, starting with that doofy picture on the inner sleeve (or was it the back cover?).

My beef with p/g is in the songwriting, the arrangement and the sound of the instruments.   I LOVE melody.  I like epic melodies like on Subdivisions, New World Man, Analog Kid, Marathon, and Manhattan Project.    I think "Kid Gloves" is a disjointed mess.  I think Red Lenses sounds forced>   And while Neal Peart is on my Mt. Rushmore of drummers, that fill on Red Sector A right before "I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gates..." sounds SO FRIGGIN' LAME for a drummer of Neal's caliber...

Yes, yes and yes (also, "the sound of the instruments" is part of the mix, so....).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3074 on: April 03, 2018, 11:35:20 AM »
Of the four "original" live albums:

1. Different Stages
2. Exit... Stage Left
3. All The World's A Stage
4. A Show Of Hands

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3075 on: April 03, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »
Stadler, it's funny you mention you're a melody guy. I am, too, and yet I think P/g is great in that department!

Yes, yes and yes (also, "the sound of the instruments" is part of the mix, so....).

I don't think he's referring to the sound of the instruments in the mix, rather, the sound of the... instruments. As in, the keyboard patches, for example, not how they're mixed.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3076 on: April 03, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »

Believe it or not, I agree with you, for the most part.  Mix and mastering means squat to me; "Hotter Than Hell" by Kiss is a sonic mess but I love that album.

I give that record a listen about three times a year just to see if things changed, and they never do....

Yeah but that's because you're....

wrong.

:)

I like melody too, which is probably why I've always had such a hard time getting into thrash.  Yes, there is melody, but not the same way as in, well, less thrashy stuff.  I think Grace Under I has great melodies.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: April 03, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
I'm a few years older than you, but I got into Rush around the same time (9th/10th grade for me).  I was first exposed to Subdivisions and Countdown, which were played on fairly regular rotation on MTV, and I had gotten pretty well into the back catalog by the time GUP was released.  Needless to say (given what I've already written here), it was a HUGE disappointment in pretty much every way, starting with that doofy picture on the inner sleeve (or was it the back cover?).

Brother, yes!  I love the front cover (one of my favorite covers by any band ever) but that back picture...  when I got into Rush, it was all...

And then with p/g it was all...

Consider, too, that I was huge into Maiden then, so it was all...

And so, no bueno.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3078 on: April 03, 2018, 11:50:48 AM »

Brother, yes!  I love the front cover (one of my favorite covers by any band ever) but that back picture...  when I got into Rush, it was all...

And then with p/g it was all...

Consider, too, that I was huge into Maiden then, so it was all...

And so, no bueno.

Exactly.  I had that top picture on a poster on my bedroom closet (along with a Maiden poster with a shot from the World Piece Tour...and a Samantha Fox poster on the inside of my bedroom door  :hat).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3079 on: April 03, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
This may, partly, explain why you're so wrong about Grace Under Pressure.  It's not really that you don't like the melodies, you just think you don't because that picture influenced you negativity and got into your head. :)