Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497789 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #3010 on: March 09, 2018, 12:34:20 PM »
I meant "The Big Money". King moment.

Understandable.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3011 on: March 09, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »
I meant "The Big Money". King moment.

Understandable.

Shame on you Nick.  I would only misspell it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3012 on: March 09, 2018, 05:11:07 PM »
1. Territories

2. Manhattan Project
3. Marathon
4. Middletown Dreams
5. Mystic Rhythms
6. Grand Designs

7. The Big Money
8. Emotion Detector

1 will never change. Might be my #2 all time. 2-6 always rearrange by mood.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3013 on: March 09, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »
Screw the Mystic Rhythms hate. It’s part of what makes Power Windows a nearly perfect album. That album has 6 - 10s and 2 - 8s (which would be Big Money and Emotion Detector)

Oyyy...the only genuinely strong tracks on PoW are Marathon and Manhattan Project.  I would give Marathon about 8-9/10 and Manhattan Project maybe 7-8/10.  Everything else is no better than a 4-5.  Big Money was OK at first but hasn't aged well.  Grand Designs is OK, and the entirety of side 2 should be burned in a dumpster fire.  Often, when I see folks fawn over songs like Territories and Middletown Dreams, I go back and listen the album all the way through, but can just can't see anything redeeming about anything on side 2.

I will accept all challenges from those who want to step to my nuts!   :xbones :xbones
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3014 on: March 09, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »
Step?! I have a nutcracker in my hand! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3015 on: March 09, 2018, 07:38:34 PM »
Territories is all about the lyrics...but it’s still a fun song.

The entire reason Hemispheres and Territories are my 1 and 2, is because they’ve done more to shape my life and world view than any other piece of art....really ALL other pieces of art combined.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3016 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »
I have a hard time ranking all of the Power Windows songs. They're all superb. Grand Designs, Marathon, Manhattan Project would probably be top 3 if I had to pick, but Territories has the best bass line on the whole album and those vocals/lyrics are so cool. Since I first heard Power Windows last fall, I've had bits and pieces of all the above songs + The Big Money in my head almost every day.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3017 on: March 09, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »
Well, Xanadu is my 2nd favorite song of all time, so that.  Surprised I'm only the 2nd person to mention it.  It's followed VERY closely by Red Barchetta.

Xanadu was the first non-Zeppelin 'epic' song I'd heard.  I was absolutely floored by the musicianship of what I had just heard, and couldn't believe that 11 minutes had passed.  I was utterly captivated by every second of it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3018 on: March 09, 2018, 08:07:41 PM »
Xanadu and Red Barchetta are both in my top 5.

Regarding the new arrangement of Natural Science, I remember Geddy saying they felt like they overdid the last section, hence the removal of the "art as expression" verse, and they repeated the "wheels within wheels" chorus near the beginning to give the song more resonance.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3019 on: March 09, 2018, 10:13:46 PM »
Power Windows is such a great album, I think Marathon might be my least favourite on it. :lol They're all so great.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3020 on: March 09, 2018, 10:39:10 PM »
Power Windows is such a great album, I think Marathon might be my least favourite on it. :lol They're all so great.

I don't know if I totally agree, but it was worth reposting...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3021 on: March 10, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
I did a Rush top 50 list years ago here, but I believe that was before the release of Clockwork Angels. My list is ever-changing, but I have to think that anywhere from 2-4 songs from Clockwork Angels would bust into my top 50 (title track and Headlong Flight for sure, and The Garden and The Anarchist would both have a shot depending on my mood).

I think my top 7 is pretty set in stone now:

La Villa Strangiato
Xanadu
Red Barchetta
Jacob's Ladder
Marathon
Mission

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3022 on: March 10, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »
Available Light

yes, really

Thyat's a great song and a worthy favorite. I'd pick Grand Designs.

I as lucky to see them play that on the Power Windows tour as an encore. 3 times that tour.

Still one of their most curious choices for an encore song ever. But I'm not complaining. Saw it twice myself on that tour.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3023 on: March 10, 2018, 09:40:22 AM »
They did a smokin version of Natural Science on the Vapor Trails tour as well!  :hat

As they did the T4E tour. Got to watch them perform it for both that and the VT tours. Always a kick ass rocker that has so much more punch and energy than the album version (due mostly to PeW’s quieter mixing).

Although I have always been annoyed that they drop a line from the Permanent Waves section.  And it can't be for time constraints because they add an extra chorus earlier in the song that pretty much cancels out the time it would take.    It's one of my favorite lines that gets dropped too.   The whole "art as an expression" part.   

I'd have to go back and check, but did they do it that way on the Permanent Waves Tour?

The version of "Natural Science" on the PEW Tour was played as the studio release. The TFE Tour version (played on later tours as well), was re-arranged because the band felt like they could get away with re-arranging older songs to suit their tastes at the time. I forget who said it, if it was Alex or Geddy, but one of them had always wished the opening section had another verse/was longer than it was on the record, because they enjoyed playing that part a lot. I think they then wanted to axe the latter part, for one reason or another (time, just not feeling it, not wanting to play it anymore, etc.), and so the song remained about the same length when all was said and done. I'm sure there are interviews circa 1997 or 2002 that explain why "Natural Science" was re-arranged.

-Marc.

That still bothers me to this day. Of all the verses they kill THAT one. They must not have thought it was that big of a deal because it took them YEARS to address why they rearranged it.

If I'm not thinking about it, I don't really miss it. Problem is I'm usually thinking about it. I wish they would have found a spot to keep the lyrics.

Thought they made a mistake at the Test For Echo opening gig, but then it kept happening so it was obviously deliberate.

That it became the climax of one of the most amazing 4 song runs in Rush set history didn't hurt either.  Ending with Natural Science after the run of Resist, Leave That Thing Alone and The Rhythm Method  is one of the great moves in Rush set history -- especially if you had never experience Natural Science live up to that point.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3024 on: March 10, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
I did a Rush top 50 list years ago here, but I believe that was before the release of Clockwork Angels. My list is ever-changing, but I have to think that anywhere from 2-4 songs from Clockwork Angels would bust into my top 50 (title track and Headlong Flight for sure, and The Garden and The Anarchist would both have a shot depending on my mood).

I think my top 7 is pretty set in stone now:

La Villa Strangiato
Xanadu
Red Barchetta
Jacob's Ladder
Marathon
Mission

I have about 200 songs in my top 7.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3025 on: March 10, 2018, 09:46:47 AM »
Yeah, that was totally unexpected.  1996/1997 was before we were getting spoiled by seeing set lists online, but the local radio station did reveal the day before the concert that 2112 was getting played in full, so I knew that was coming. However, none of us expected to get Natural Science as well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3026 on: March 10, 2018, 09:51:17 AM »
I’m with ytserush on killing that line.   For me, it is a completion of the thought built up by the other two lines.  It’s like you get the teaser, but not the payoff.   “Forming a world....state of integrity...” I just love that the build up of ideas leads to that final thought....and then we never get it. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3027 on: March 17, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
I’m with ytserush on killing that line.   For me, it is a completion of the thought built up by the other two lines.  It’s like you get the teaser, but not the payoff.   “Forming a world....state of integrity...” I just love that the build up of ideas leads to that final thought....and then we never get it.

At least recordings on the original live version exist and the adaptation isn't horrible. But yeah....the build up and then you step in the hole.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3028 on: March 26, 2018, 07:18:03 AM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3029 on: March 29, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »
Short piece on (mainly) Rush's retirement I wrote: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/farewell-kings-facing-inevitable-comes-musical-idols/

Nice!

Have to say I really don't miss the Ticketbastard dog and pony show.  I'm pretty much done with them now.

Don't feel like I need a shower after getting tickets to gigs anymore. Feels pretty good actually.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3030 on: March 30, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
On a different topic, I think Roll The Bones is almost my favorite Rush album, second only to Signals.

Discuss this controversial statement.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3031 on: March 30, 2018, 08:45:34 PM »
On a different topic, I think Roll The Bones is almost my favorite Rush album, second only to Signals.

no u

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3032 on: March 30, 2018, 08:50:11 PM »

I mean....I get liking outlier stuff.   And I get liking one era over another.    But on some level this just seems like trolling. 

I mean, I don't just say this as someone who feels that Roll the Bones is the only "bad" Rush album.    Because I would be totally OK with someone having it in their top 10 or even top 5.       But Rush has so many albums with NO klunkers at all.....really.   Most of us agree (though we may not all pick the exact same ones) that there are at least 2 or 3 albums in the 2112 to Moving Pictures era that are "all killer and no filler", and many of us would pick one or two albums beyond that scope.  (Power Windows, for instance, gets a lot of praise from most people, but not everyone).      Whereas even the big fans of Roll the Bones admit that Neurotica and You Bet Your Life are less than stellar tracks.       I get that the album has its high points.   Even in my book, Dreamline is one of the best album openers in the catalog.    But the album, as a whole, has its flaws. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3033 on: March 30, 2018, 08:55:09 PM »
He said it was his second favorite, not their second best.  How is Roll the Bones being his second favorite trolling?  Are we only allowed to say a Rush album is a favorite if the fanboy masses deem it worthy? :P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3034 on: March 30, 2018, 08:57:12 PM »
He said it was his second favorite, not their second best.  How is Roll the Bones being his second favorite trolling?  Are we only allowed to say a Rush album is a favorite if the fanboy masses deem it worthy? :P

I honestly feel like the rest of my post answers this exact question.  Not trying to be snarky.  Just that if I was answering the question, I would just type out the rest of that post again. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3035 on: March 30, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »
Haha, I hear ya.  I was being a wise ass with my reply, hence the :P.

That said, while Roll the Bones is not my favorite or second favorite, I know I like it a lot more than most Rush fans seem to.  Sure, it has a few average tunes, but they sound fine when you listen to the whole album.  The album is a fun and easy listen. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3036 on: March 30, 2018, 09:02:49 PM »
He said it was his second favorite, not their second best.

I don't really consider there to be any difference between those two things. But anyway

I mean....I get liking outlier stuff.   And I get liking one era over another.    But on some level this just seems like trolling. 

I mean, I don't just say this as someone who feels that Roll the Bones is the only "bad" Rush album.    Because I would be totally OK with someone having it in their top 10 or even top 5.       But Rush has so many albums with NO klunkers at all.....really.   Most of us agree (though we may not all pick the exact same ones) that there are at least 2 or 3 albums in the 2112 to Moving Pictures era that are "all killer and no filler", and many of us would pick one or two albums beyond that scope.  (Power Windows, for instance, gets a lot of praise from most people, but not everyone).      Whereas even the big fans of Roll the Bones admit that Neurotica and You Bet Your Life are less than stellar tracks.       I get that the album has its high points.   Even in my book, Dreamline is one of the best album openers in the catalog.    But the album, as a whole, has its flaws. 

Not trolling. Now, to be fair, I haven't heard every single Rush album in full, so there might be some in there that just really blow me away. But I have heard quite a few, and a lot of them tend to have songs or sections of songs that kind of lose my attention, whereas Roll The Bones (and Signals) really doesn't.

I'm a pretty big prog fan, but honestly I think Rush are at their best writing 4-6 minute songs rather than huge prog epics. I like 2112 as much as the next guy (or more, or less, I don't really know how the next guy feels about any particular Rush song to be honest), but it's got some sections that I think are pretty weak, or just forgettable. Whereas Roll The Bones is just quality songs all the way through.

And those last two you mentioned as 'less than stellar tracks' I really love.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3037 on: March 31, 2018, 05:43:09 AM »

I like both! Some really great tunes on both theses albums. Dreamline, Subdivisions, Ghost of a Chance and Digital Man for example...

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3038 on: March 31, 2018, 06:09:21 AM »
Did someone say album ranking?

No? well too bad

#1. A Farewell To Kings
#2. Grace Under Pressure
#3. Power Windows
#4. Moving Pictures
#5. 2112

#6. Caress Of Steel
#7. Vapor Trails
#8. Permanent Waves
#9. Presto
10. Fly By Night

11. Signals
12. Hemispheres
13. Hold Your Fire
14. Test For Echo
15. Clockwork Angels

16. Debut
17. Snakes & Arrows
18. Feedback (added this in so it'd be an even 20)
19. Counterparts
20. Roll The Bones
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:15:24 PM by IDontNotDoThings »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3039 on: March 31, 2018, 06:43:08 AM »
That said, while Roll the Bones is not my favorite or second favorite, I know I like it a lot more than most Rush fans seem to.  Sure, it has a few average tunes, but they sound fine when you listen to the whole album.  The album is a fun and easy listen.

I'm with Kev.  I actually like You Bet Your Life, Heresy, Neurotica, and Face Up.  And of course, Dreamline is a Top 10 Rush track in my books.  Overall, the album would likely fall in the bottom 1/2 of my rankings.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DTA

« Reply #3040 on: March 31, 2018, 07:30:38 AM »
Haha, I hear ya.  I was being a wise ass with my reply, hence the :P.

Agreed, it's probably their most "fun" album and the production is so smooth that even though the songs get a little goofy at the end, it's not difficult or unpleasant to listen to. The often-hated title track is incredible, such a great song.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
and i like less than half of you half as well as you deserve
« Reply #3041 on: March 31, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »
IDontNotDoThings, it appears that one of the things you don't not do is rank albums incorrectly! :P

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3042 on: April 01, 2018, 08:21:23 AM »
Did someone say album ranking?

No? well too bad

#1. A Farewell To Kings
#2. Grace Under Pressure
#3. Power Windows
#4. Moving Pictures
#5. 2112

#6. Caress Of Steel
#7. Vapor Trails
#8. Permanent Waves
#9. Presto
10. Fly By Night

11. Signals
12. Hemispheres
13. Hold Your Fire
14. Test For Echo
15. Clockwork Angels

16. Debut
17. Snakes & Arrows
18. Feedback (added this in so it'd be an even 20)
19. Counterparts
20. Roll The Bones

Just as counter point, Grace Under Pressure on my list would be down around 17, 18, 19 or so.   Given all that came right before and right after, that album is a huge miss for me. 

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3043 on: April 01, 2018, 09:37:33 AM »
Tough, but I'll have a go

1. Power Windows
2. Hemispheres
3. Moving Pictures
4. Permanent Waves
5. Clockwork Angels
6. A Farewell To Kings
7. 2112
8. Signals
9. Grace Under Pressure
10. Counterparts
11. Presto
12. Hold Your Fire
13. Snakes & Arrows
14. Roll The Bones
15. Fly By Night
16. Rush
17. Vapor Trails
18. Caress Of Steel
19. Test For Echo
20. Feedback (bottom only cuz it's not a proper album)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3044 on: April 01, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »
1. Hemispheres
2. Permanent Waves
3. Power Windows
4. Moving Pictures
5. Clockwork Angels
6. Test for Echo
7. A Farewell to Kings
8. Signals
9. 2112
10. Snakes and Arrows
11. Grace Under Pressure
12. Caress of Steel
13. Presto
14. Rush
15. Fly By Night
16. Counterparts
17. Hold Your Fire
18. Vapor Trails
19. Roll the Bones