Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497881 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2975 on: March 08, 2018, 12:14:24 AM »
Right now I'll go with Subdivisions.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2976 on: March 08, 2018, 12:35:37 AM »
2112. The first real non-MTV/pop radio song I recall hearing. A song that long, with that many sections, that many lyrics that told that kind of story, and that many mind-blowing instrumental sections was more than 15 year old me could handle in the early 90s when my musical experience consisted of MTV and pop radio. Just the fact that it lasted more than 5 minutes was unfathomable, and it was 5 times longer than that.

And it still punches me right in the face just as much today.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #2977 on: March 08, 2018, 06:26:15 AM »
Xanadu

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2978 on: March 08, 2018, 07:37:14 AM »
After giving way to much thought to this, I have to say Mystic Rhythms

The atmosphere in that song is unparalleled. But really, this is a nearly impossible question...

Offline DTA

« Reply #2979 on: March 08, 2018, 07:39:09 AM »
Available Light

yes, really

Thyat's a great song and a worthy favorite. I'd pick Grand Designs.

I as lucky to see them play that on the Power Windows tour as an encore. 3 times that tour.

I'm jealous, though you can't imagine how stoked I was that they pulled it out for the Clockwork Angels tour. I really thought it was destined to stay buried in the 80's with a bunch of their other synth-heavy songs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2980 on: March 08, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »
The joy for me on that tour was seeing the opening night of the tour so no spoilers online yet.  Ever 80's song they pulled out blew me away!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2981 on: March 08, 2018, 08:10:48 AM »
This may be difficult, but if you had to pick one single favorite Rush song, what would it be?

For me its Anthem (particularly the live version from Different stages. Hot damn  :metal)

Easy peasy:  La Villa Strangiato.

Oh, and Hemispheres Books I and II are two separate songs.  As well as books. 

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2982 on: March 08, 2018, 08:12:38 AM »
Favorite Rush song? Extremely tough, but I’m going with Natural Science. Between the Wheels, Subdivisions, and Available Light were also strong candidates.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2983 on: March 08, 2018, 08:15:15 AM »
Favorite song for me is Marathon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2984 on: March 08, 2018, 08:18:22 AM »
Favorite song for me is Marathon.

Marathon was the first one that popped into my head, followed by Grand Designs. Absolutely incredible songs. Could easily have been my picks. Hemispheres as a whole has them beat in my books because of how epic and long it is, and The Garden resonates deeply with me, but neither have the magic that the synths bring to Marathon and GD. Marathon's chorus brings a tear to my eye and GD has a vibe that I don't know how to describe - it just makes me happy.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: March 08, 2018, 08:22:37 AM »
Marathon is on rotation for me as #1 (together with Subdivisions, The Camera Eye, and Xanadu).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2986 on: March 08, 2018, 10:15:43 AM »
Available Light

yes, really

A criminally underrated song.  I would would argue it's Rush's best song released between 1986-2001.  I would probably rank Earthshine and Marathon higher, but it would close.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2987 on: March 08, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »

I think the question was BEST song, not worst.   ;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2988 on: March 08, 2018, 11:27:47 AM »
Marathon.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2989 on: March 08, 2018, 11:40:30 AM »

Why do people hate on Mystic Rhythms? That's a great song  :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2990 on: March 08, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »
I'll have to say....Natural Science. So glad I got to hear that one live on the Snakes and Arrows tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2991 on: March 08, 2018, 02:23:45 PM »
They did a smokin version of Natural Science on the Vapor Trails tour as well!  :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2992 on: March 08, 2018, 03:15:19 PM »

It's run of the mill, generic 80s new wave.  It's flat.  It's a sissy song.  If all the Rush songs were picking teams for a schoolyard game, Mystic Rhythms would be picked close to last.  It has bad electronic drums, annoying synth patches, and ridiculous bird-call sound effects.  The bass playing is rudimentary, and there's nothing memorable about the guitar.  When I first heard it, I was embarrassed.  I thought my favorite band had gone over to the dark side and would never recover.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2993 on: March 08, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »

It's run of the mill, generic 80s new wave.  It's flat.  It's a sissy song.  If all the Rush songs were picking teams for a schoolyard game, Mystic Rhythms would be picked close to last.  It has bad electronic drums, annoying synth patches, and ridiculous bird-call sound effects.  The bass playing is rudimentary, and there's nothing memorable about the guitar.  When I first heard it, I was embarrassed.  I thought my favorite band had gone over to the dark side and would never recover.

I like Mystic Rhythms.  It might not be able to beat up the other songs on the playground, but it has its own positive attributes. :)  The bass playing may not be as good as in some of their other songs, but the vocal lines are awesome.  And the sound effects along with the drums create a very cool atmosphere.  I especially like the A Show of Hands version for this.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2994 on: March 08, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »
Screw the Mystic Rhythms hate. It’s part of what makes Power Windows a nearly perfect album. That album has 6 - 10s and 2 - 8s (which would be Big Money and Emotion Detector)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2995 on: March 08, 2018, 05:03:34 PM »
I will throw a thousand nut shots for those who do not like Mystic Rhythms.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: March 08, 2018, 05:26:47 PM »
 :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2997 on: March 08, 2018, 05:27:25 PM »
I love Mystic Rhythms.

Then again, I love most Rush.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2998 on: March 08, 2018, 05:52:27 PM »
Mystic Rhythms is awesome.

Marathon is a borderline top 5 Rush song.

Power Windows is fantastic.

This post has brought to you by the letters "T-A-C S-U-C-K-S." :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2999 on: March 08, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3000 on: March 08, 2018, 06:08:21 PM »
Boom

Boom chi chi

Boom

Boom chi chi PAAAAHHH

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #3001 on: March 08, 2018, 07:12:01 PM »
They did a smokin version of Natural Science on the Vapor Trails tour as well!  :hat

As they did the T4E tour. Got to watch them perform it for both that and the VT tours. Always a kick ass rocker that has so much more punch and energy than the album version (due mostly to PeW’s quieter mixing).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3002 on: March 08, 2018, 08:57:25 PM »
I'd probably argue that Mystic Rhythms & Between The Wheels are also contenders for my favourite Rush song.

This band was (& still is) just so good at closing tracks, maybe that's why I don't like RtB & CP as much.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3003 on: March 08, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »

As they did the T4E tour. Got to watch them perform it for both that and the VT tours. Always a kick ass rocker that has so much more punch and energy than the album version (due mostly to PeW’s quieter mixing).

Although I have always been annoyed that they drop a line from the Permanent Waves section.  And it can't be for time constraints because they add an extra chorus earlier in the song that pretty much cancels out the time it would take.    It's one of my favorite lines that gets dropped too.   The whole "art as an expression" part.   

I'd have to go back and check, but did they do it that way on the Permanent Waves Tour? 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3004 on: March 09, 2018, 12:17:39 AM »

Although I have always been annoyed that they drop a line from the Permanent Waves section.  And it can't be for time constraints because they add an extra chorus earlier in the song that pretty much cancels out the time it would take.    It's one of my favorite lines that gets dropped too.   The whole "art as an expression" part.   

I'd have to go back and check, but did they do it that way on the Permanent Waves Tour?

The version of "Natural Science" on the PEW Tour was played as the studio release. The TFE Tour version (played on later tours as well), was re-arranged because the band felt like they could get away with re-arranging older songs to suit their tastes at the time. I forget who said it, if it was Alex or Geddy, but one of them had always wished the opening section had another verse/was longer than it was on the record, because they enjoyed playing that part a lot. I think they then wanted to axe the latter part, for one reason or another (time, just not feeling it, not wanting to play it anymore, etc.), and so the song remained about the same length when all was said and done. I'm sure there are interviews circa 1997 or 2002 that explain why "Natural Science" was re-arranged.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3005 on: March 09, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
Yeah they cut out the 2nd guitar solo later in the song on all the post 2000 tours. I can't remember if they did that on the T4E tour..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: March 09, 2018, 12:02:08 PM »

I feel like when I finally get the privilege to share a beer with the King, I won't be able to because I'll be reeling from the punch to the balls.  MR doesn't SUCK, but it's not legendary to me.

Manhattan Project
Marathon
Power Windows
Mystic Rhythms
Middletown Dreams
Territories
Grand Designs
Emotion Detector 

There's almost no difference between 1, 2, and 3, and there is a relatively large drop-off after number 5.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3007 on: March 09, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
OK.  I just flick yours.  It will sting for a few. :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3008 on: March 09, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »

I feel like when I finally get the privilege to share a beer with the King, I won't be able to because I'll be reeling from the punch to the balls.  MR doesn't SUCK, but it's not legendary to me.

Manhattan Project
Marathon
Power Windows
Mystic Rhythms
Middletown Dreams
Territories
Grand Designs
Emotion Detector 

There's almost no difference between 1, 2, and 3, and there is a relatively large drop-off after number 5.

I also love the song Power Windows.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: March 09, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »
I meant "The Big Money".   Brain fart.