Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497959 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #2450 on: November 06, 2017, 08:17:11 AM »
That's about how far I got into it as well.  Hemispheres is perfect as is. 

Ouch.  Chopping it up to insert some of the vocal parts into the Prelude was a very bad idea. And when the first vocal comes in, that sounds completely unnatural as the first line of the song,  Delete that immediately and try again. :lol :lol :lol :lol

How so? That part of the prelude is where the verse riff starts & I'm pretty sure it even goes into the acoustic section after that too. I guess if you meant that it was a weird spot for the intro to end, I guess I could see that argument, but I disagree. In my opinion, the prelude is already kind of fragmented there with how sudden of a change it is (even in the original version imo), so I don't think it comes off unnaturally or anything. Though of course, that's just my opinion.

Because the delivery and phrasing of that vocal sounds unnatural as the first line of the song, plain and simple. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2451 on: November 06, 2017, 08:38:36 AM »
The music perfectly fits each part of the story, and to me, the “callback” during the soft part of Hemispheres ties the whole thing together beautifully!

I think that "callback" moment is a superficial tie-in at best, similar to DT reusing the Metropolis intro at the beginning of The Dance of Eternity/end of Home (as a way of calling something Metropolis Part 2).
Agreed. It's like they went "oh crap, we put 'to be continued' at the end of the lyrics on the last album and now we've got to make this a sequel... oh well, let's just stick this little sample in the middle".

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2452 on: November 06, 2017, 01:22:32 PM »
So I just listened to Grace Under Pressure - first time - while doing yard work. And I thought it was awesome. This electronic era of Rush is more than likely going to be my favorite. That said I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like these so much. There were several times where I snapped out of the fun trance I was in and thought, "Wait, this doesn't even sound like Rush" - mostly when Geddy wasn't singing. But at the same time, I really love this sound, the songs are tight.

As much as I'm enjoying this I'm curious to know if/when they go back to a more traditional rock sound. Not that I'm complaining - this is very tasty music, straight up my alley and not at all what I imagined Rush could sound like.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2453 on: November 06, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »
80's era is my favorite as well.

They had an amazing streak of albums through the decade!

And they do go back to a rockier sound during the 90's and the 00's.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2454 on: November 06, 2017, 02:13:20 PM »
I love the stretch of Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.  Very underrated in my book.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2455 on: November 06, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
I love the stretch of Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.  Very underrated in my book.

Eddie Trunk just had a poll thing on Twitter about bands you love, and missteps.  And if I actually posted to Twitter, instead of just lurking, I would have sent "Grace Under Pressure".     Not the hugest fan of Hold Your Fire either, but it's better than p/g, and at least has real organic drums sounds and "Prime Mover". 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2456 on: November 06, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »
So I just listened to Grace Under Pressure - first time - while doing yard work. And I thought it was awesome. This electronic era of Rush is more than likely going to be my favorite. That said I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like these so much. There were several times where I snapped out of the fun trance I was in and thought, "Wait, this doesn't even sound like Rush" - mostly when Geddy wasn't singing. But at the same time, I really love this sound, the songs are tight.

As much as I'm enjoying this I'm curious to know if/when they go back to a more traditional rock sound. Not that I'm complaining - this is very tasty music, straight up my alley and not at all what I imagined Rush could sound like.

Grace Under Pressure is one of, if not, my favorite Rush record. Just love it. Red Sector A is possibly my favorite song of theirs.

In terms of the return to Rock, Hold Your Fire was the end of the keyboard era. Presto and Roll The Bones were transitional albums. Counterparts brought back the full on Rock sound that continued until the end. Counterparts is a favorite as well. Animate is such an awesome opener.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2457 on: November 06, 2017, 04:54:07 PM »
Alex and Geddy said in interviews that the songs off of Presto and RTB sounded like they had more balls live and they wondered how they could bring that to the studio.  That was the Genesis of Counterparts.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2458 on: November 06, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
Side 1 of Grace Under Pressure and Between the Wheels = awesomeness

Red Lenses is okay, and I do like (but don't love) Kid Gloves and The Body Electric, but imagine if those three songs had been as strong as the others. :eek

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2459 on: November 06, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »
Wasn't a fan of Grace Under Pressure for a while after first hearing, but I love it now! The follow up album Power Windows is even better imo. 😎
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2460 on: November 06, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »
Power Windows is my favorite Rush album. That was when their songwriting was just unbelievable. Hemispheres is a close second.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2461 on: November 06, 2017, 05:57:26 PM »
Everyone has me super hyped now...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2462 on: November 06, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
Everyone has me super hyped now...

I’m very much looking forward to your opinion on PoWi. The songs are so melodic with huge choruses that I can never get out of my head, and as the band has said before, they really found the perfect balance for the guitars and keyboards. Also, some of Peart’s finest lyrics!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2463 on: November 06, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
Somewhere in New Hampshire Kingshmegland is taking his pants off.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2464 on: November 06, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »

Already off.....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2465 on: November 06, 2017, 06:31:14 PM »

Already off.....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2466 on: November 06, 2017, 06:53:40 PM »
Is it sad that I know who's ass that is? :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2467 on: November 06, 2017, 07:12:25 PM »
Yes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: November 06, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
 :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2469 on: November 07, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
Power Windows...  wow wow WOW. I think Hemispheres may have to step aside. What's the best track here? 3 spins in and I would say Marathon. What a freaking beautiful song. Makes me wish I still had my synths... :hefdaddy

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2470 on: November 07, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »
Power Windows...  wow wow WOW. I think Hemispheres may have to step aside. What's the best track here? 3 spins in and I would say Marathon. What a freaking beautiful song. Makes me wish I still had my synths... :hefdaddy

Both Marathon and Manhattan Project are BEASTS live.   Those choruses...  Epic.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2471 on: November 07, 2017, 09:58:46 AM »

Hahaha see? Marathon is my favorite as well!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: November 07, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
If this is what Rush does best then count me on board the electro-Rush ship... this is in-freaking-credible. I initially lamented the loss of long epics but who cares now... Damn, this is good music!

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #2473 on: November 07, 2017, 10:25:43 AM »
That whole record is strong, and when Manhattan Project is the weakest link (in my opinion. It’s still absolutely a great song for sure, but l rank it the lowest on a very tall totem pole...), that says something about how amazing the songs are. Territories is probably my favorite here.

I gotta say, Kattelox, I’m kinda envious of you discovering Rush for the first time. Wish I could get that initial excitement again listening through their catalogue. It’s been fun reading your reactions to each album. :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2474 on: November 07, 2017, 10:33:44 AM »
Marathon is a Top 3 Rush song for me. Other than that (and Subdivisions), I'm not really a fan of their 80s synth period.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2475 on: November 07, 2017, 10:58:52 AM »

My #1 album of all time.  It's such an uplifting number.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2476 on: November 07, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
I'm always happy to see appreciation for Power windows, it's such a fantastic album. Every song is gorgeous, energetic and moving.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: November 07, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »

Huh.  I didn't know that, and I'm not sure I would have predicted that.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2478 on: November 07, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »
I'm always happy to see appreciation for Power windows, it's such a fantastic album. Every song is gorgeous, energetic and moving.

My 1st Rush album. Back in the Hold Your Fire tour a friend of mine was going to see them and suggested I check them out. So I went to the library and choose Power Windows in cassette form in those quaint cardboard type boxes. If memory serves the tape was not rewound so I first heard Territories and fell in love even though I had to look at the picture again to confirm that the singer was a male. Sadly I missed the tour that year but saw every tour since.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2479 on: November 07, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »
Power Windows is epic from start to finish!

No weak songs to be found here. I can't even decide on a favorite, it changes all the time. Currently it is Middletown Dreams..

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2480 on: November 07, 2017, 12:49:16 PM »
None of this even makes sense to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2481 on: November 07, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
Power Windows rocks, one of their top 5 albums without a doubt.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2482 on: November 07, 2017, 01:40:06 PM »
Power Windows is, without a doubt in my mind, a Top 5 Rush album - just look at my username for cryin' out loud!  :rollin

The album is nearly flawless in my ears, and every track has something unique and amazing to offer. I think the band themselves loved it enough, as well, as they have played 7 out of the 8 tracks live since the POW Tour. Then again, they played all 8 tracks from GUP as well, so it seems they really enjoyed their new material back then. But even in the last 20 years of their career, they played no less than 6 of the POW tracks over various tours!

Of the four Phase 3 albums, it's easily my favorite over-all and the most consistently good album of the bunch. I'm always happy to see its praises sung here.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: November 07, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »

Huh.  I didn't know that, and I'm not sure I would have predicted that.

It's senior year in High school.  I met Geddy Lee the opening night of the tour in Maine, I saw Marilion play all of Misplaced Childhood opening up for them on the second leg of the tour.  everything is magical about that album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2484 on: November 07, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
But even in the last 20 years of their career, they played no less than 6 of the POW tracks over various tours!

7 of 8 actually! ;)  Emotion Detector is the only one not to get played in the 21st century.

Yep, Marathon would be my favorite as well.  That is a borderline top 5 Rush song for me. 

Territories would be the next best, although there are no weak spots here.  Manhattan Project, Middletown Dreams, Grand Designs...just an unbelievable record. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Top 3 Rush album for sure! :tup :tup