Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497388 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1995 on: May 16, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »
The set list was awesome on the Snakes and Arrows tour. I saw them on both legs of that tour in 2007/2008. The only thing I didn't like was that the volume was too low at both shows, and Neil's drum sound was sub-par. The toms were tuned flat and had no resonance compared to other Rush tours I've seen. They stepped it up on the Time Machine tour and cranked the volume back up again. Still, the best drum sound I've heard was on the Presto and R30 tours hands down!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1996 on: May 16, 2017, 07:49:13 PM »
The S&A tour sure was awesome for bringing back songs few thought we'd seen again:

Entre Nous (who saw that coming)
Digital Man
Circumstances
A Passage to Bangkok

And of course the return of Mission (which was inevitable).  :hat

I completely agree, but I think the fanbase as a whole definitely lost their collective shit more over Jacob's Ladder, Cygnus, Hemispheres, and full glory Xanadu on the R40 tour, along with the other rare goodies that tour offered.

That's true.  I guess for me, the S&A tour was the last tour where Geddy's voice was tolerable most of the time. I still enjoyed every subsequent tour when I saw them live, since it's easy to get caught up in the euphoria of the show and overlook certain things, but on the live DVDs, it's brutal.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1997 on: May 17, 2017, 03:11:58 AM »
I think i said this earlier somewhere, but i would have loved to see them perform Available Light.

Hell, i would have loved to see them live at least once. :( They didn't exactly visit Finland many times, and i missed my last chance during the CA tour due to personal commitments...

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1998 on: May 17, 2017, 06:26:51 AM »
It's always sad to see when a band has a large discography that songs from later albums tend to get ignored unless they're the bigger singles from those albums. At the same time though, it's like "what can you really do". That said, I definitely respect Rush for taking a bit of a risk with their later setlists & bringing back a lot of 80's material. That's more than I can say for a lot of bands.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1999 on: May 17, 2017, 06:32:44 AM »
Rush, U2, The Stones, these bands have the latitude to play album cuts.  Not many bands can do that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2000 on: May 17, 2017, 07:21:13 AM »
I think i said this earlier somewhere, but i would have loved to see them perform Available Light.

Hell, i would have loved to see them live at least once. :( They didn't exactly visit Finland many times, and i missed my last chance during the CA tour due to personal commitments...

I know not a popular sentiment, but they could have played any of Presto at any time and it would have been well received by me.  I love that album, top to bottom. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2001 on: May 17, 2017, 09:54:17 AM »

I know not a popular sentiment, but they could have played any of Presto at any time and it would have been well received by me.  I love that album, top to bottom.

Same.  I'm glad I did get to see them on the Snakes and Arrows tour.  I would have loved to see them on the Clockwork Angels tour, especially since that set was heavy on the Power Windows material.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2002 on: May 17, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »

Totally agree, I love every song on Presto.  Read the lyrics next time you listen to Anagram, its like a grade school word search!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2003 on: May 17, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »
On a related note, RUSH HELP NEEDED!  RUSH HELP NEEDED!

I came across a live version of a "Working Man Medley" and I'm trying to place the date as well as I can.  I'm told it was '1980', but that doesn't jibe with what I've seen of the setlists for that tour. 

It's a medley, and it starts with a reggae version of Working Man, then goes into a more straightforward Working Man.  Here's the medley:

Working Man (Reggae)
 Working Man
 Hemispheres: III. Armageddon
 By-Tor and the Snow Dog
 (Something I can't place, but I've heard before; interspersed with Neil on what sound almost like electronic tuned drums or a percussive keyboard sample)
 In The End
 In The Mood
 2112 Grand Finale

Any thoughts?  Ideas?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2004 on: May 17, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »
I'll check my boots. I'm sure I have it and I do think it's early 80s.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2005 on: May 17, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
That was the ending to the shows in 1981, wasn't it?  The E...SL video has part of that (no Working Man or Hemispheres). 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2006 on: May 17, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure the reggae version of Working Man was way later than the 80s. I wanna say it was VT or SAA.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: May 17, 2017, 12:16:57 PM »
No they did a reggae version in the early 80s as well.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2008 on: May 18, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure the reggae version of Working Man was way later than the 80s. I wanna say it was VT or SAA.
They also did that on the Time Machine tour. It's on the dvd.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2009 on: May 18, 2017, 07:05:18 PM »
I would have loved to see them on the Clockwork Angels tour, especially since that set was heavy on the Power Windows material.

That set list was like a wet dream for this Rush fan.  Not only all of those Power Windows tunes, but we got the return of Where's My Thing and The Analog Kid as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: May 18, 2017, 07:46:42 PM »
I was at the opening night of that tour and my buddy was in another section and we were texting like schoolgirls

"OMG!" "OMG!" :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2011 on: May 18, 2017, 07:59:12 PM »
Texting throughout a Rush concert?  Congrats, you're old AND a millennial.  :lol :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2012 on: May 18, 2017, 08:02:02 PM »
He's Milleniold.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: May 18, 2017, 08:16:08 PM »
Can't argue.

Still it was only seconds and then I was screaming like a teen girl at a Beatles show.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2014 on: May 28, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
No they did a reggae version in the early 80s as well.

First appearance of Reggae Working Man was 1980 in the Permanent Waves set.  (Can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, but I know stuff like this.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2015 on: May 28, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »
On a related note, RUSH HELP NEEDED!  RUSH HELP NEEDED!

I came across a live version of a "Working Man Medley" and I'm trying to place the date as well as I can.  I'm told it was '1980', but that doesn't jibe with what I've seen of the setlists for that tour. 

It's a medley, and it starts with a reggae version of Working Man, then goes into a more straightforward Working Man.  Here's the medley:

Working Man (Reggae)
 Working Man
 Hemispheres: III. Armageddon
 By-Tor and the Snow Dog
 (Something I can't place, but I've heard before; interspersed with Neil on what sound almost like electronic tuned drums or a percussive keyboard sample)
 In The End
 In The Mood
 2112 Grand Finale

Any thoughts?  Ideas?

Give me a link and I'll ID it for you.

Without much thought, I can tell you it's from 1981 and my first inclination is to say it's the audio track from the Exit...Stage Left video since that's the best sounding version of that out there.

There are several other decent sounding versions such as the Chicago Amphitheater show in April and the Anaheim show in June.  There's also one from Hartford (Exit...Stage Left Tour) in December.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2016 on: May 28, 2017, 08:02:37 PM »
I would have loved to see them on the Clockwork Angels tour, especially since that set was heavy on the Power Windows material.

That set list was like a wet dream for this Rush fan.  Not only all of those Power Windows tunes, but we got the return of Where's My Thing and The Analog Kid as well.

Where's My Thing? Never sounded better than on that tour. They were so much better as musicians than when they last played it in 1991-92.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2017 on: May 28, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »
I had an 80's hard on throughout the first set.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2018 on: May 29, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
You and me both.  As awesome as the 2nd set and encore was of the R40 tour, the set list for the CA tour overall was more to my liking (it was stellar from start to finish, for the most part).  Nearly every song was a winner (except for Far Cry), so there was no down time or "eh, I can't wait for this song to be over" moments. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:41:41 AM by KevShmev »

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2019 on: May 29, 2017, 10:38:34 AM »
You and me both.  As awesome as the 2nd set and encore was of the R40 tour, the set list for the CA tour overall was more to my liking (it was stellar from start to finish, for the most part).  Nearly every song was a winner (except for Far Cry), so there was no down time or "eh, I can't wait for this song to be over" moments.

I agree...the synth-era songs worked well in contrast to the CA songs. I'm partially biased though, cuz Power Windows is my favorite Rush album.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2020 on: May 29, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »
In any case, I'd say all things considered Rush left us on back to back tours of two of their strongest sets ever.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2021 on: May 29, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »
Agreed! Vapor Trails, R30, and Time Machine tours were great setlists too.  :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: May 29, 2017, 01:33:02 PM »
I really liked the CA tour set list as well.  The was the last show I saw from the band and probably the last time I will ever see them, so it will have a special meaning.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2023 on: May 29, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
In any case, I'd say all things considered Rush left us on back to back tours of two of their strongest sets ever.

No question. I bought the Time Machine DVD, but Geddy's vocals basically render it unlistenable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2024 on: May 29, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »
Geddy's vocals I think are ok on the Time Machine dvd. R40 on the other hand suffers from that. He must have had a bad night when they recorded for that dvd, he sounded great in Seattle on the R40 tour.
 As far as DVD releases go, Geddy's vocals sound best on R30 hands down!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2025 on: May 30, 2017, 05:30:57 AM »
Maybe it's R40. I think you're right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2026 on: May 30, 2017, 06:20:52 AM »
No, it's Time Machine.  I recall pretty vividly that Geddy had a pretty bad cold that night in Cleveland.  But, when the DVD filming has been planned, it's not like they can reschedule the shoot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2027 on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:36 AM »
I so confused!

Whatever that last tour was, that's the one.

Just checked my DVD's..it's R40. That's the one I have.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2028 on: June 10, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »
Absolute peak for me was the Clockwork Angels Tour. R40 (second set) was beginning the trek down the other side of the mountain.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2029 on: June 27, 2017, 10:29:22 AM »
Just listened to "My Fave Headache" again for the first time in a while.  I love this album.  You cant help but hear Rush but in a relaxed presentation.  This album gave me some insight as to who in Rush was writing the emotional yet uplifting chord progressions.  Runaway Train is outstanding.

Anyone else love this album?  Admittedly my opinion is peppered with a healthy dose of Rush fanboyism.
But the arc of your life will still be profound