Poll

What are the 3 best songs on Clockwork Angels?

Caravan
71 (12.2%)
BU2B
46 (7.9%)
Clockwork Angels
85 (14.6%)
The Anarchist
44 (7.6%)
Carnies
19 (3.3%)
Halo Effect
11 (1.9%)
Seven Cities of Gold
21 (3.6%)
The Wreckers
46 (7.9%)
Headlong Flight
87 (14.9%)
BU2B2
4 (0.7%)
Wish Them Well
16 (2.7%)
The Garden
132 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 199

Author Topic: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt, & Lerxst  (Read 497963 times)

Snow Dog and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Rush v. Dirk, Pratt & Lerxst
« Reply #1470 on: February 23, 2015, 01:31:59 PM »
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall backstage with Petrucci and Geddy!  Can you imagine a conversation about music between those two guys?  My head would explode.

I wish John would just cut that beard off already.  He looked the best in the SDOIT era with the short hair IMHO.

Geddy's joke about the hat was pretty good.  John's gonna be doing interviews 20 years from now and he'll be making jokes about his "mask".

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1471 on: February 23, 2015, 05:32:12 PM »
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall backstage with Petrucci and Geddy!  Can you imagine a conversation about music between those two guys?  My head would explode.

I wish John would just cut that beard off already.  He looked the best in the SDOIT era with the short hair IMHO.

Geddy's joke about the hat was pretty good.  John's gonna be doing interviews 20 years from now and he'll be making jokes about his "mask".

That was the best part by far. John should have done the interview instead of those clowns "No guitar for you!" They totally rose above it.

Icon was so much better and having them played back to back like that made the comparison pretty obvious.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1472 on: February 23, 2015, 06:24:29 PM »
I wish John would just cut that beard off already.   
I completely agree!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1473 on: February 24, 2015, 02:16:06 AM »
I wish John would just cut that beard off already.   
I completely agree!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1474 on: April 12, 2015, 11:45:22 PM »
Smells musty in here. Can't wait for the concerts to start!

I refuse to see the setlist before the concert I go to on May 20th, though.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #1475 on: April 13, 2015, 03:00:21 AM »
For all ye Netflix subscribers, Beyond the Lighted Stage is up and running.  Ko loo koo koo koo koo koo koo!
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: April 13, 2015, 07:03:36 AM »
For all ye Netflix subscribers, Beyond the Lighted Stage is up and running.  Ko loo koo koo koo koo koo koo!

That was a great documentary

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1477 on: April 14, 2015, 04:29:07 PM »
Smells musty in here. Can't wait for the concerts to start!

I refuse to see the setlist before the concert I go to on May 20th, though.

I need to know what the set is like (or if songs will be rotated) because if they are (Or if I really like the set) I'm showing up to at least two more shows without tickets.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #1478 on: April 14, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »

That was a great documentary

Yes yes. The only drawback, they didn't show anything from the bonus disc.  Which was expected, but still disappointing.
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1479 on: April 14, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
Feeling a bit bummed.   I just can't afford tickets right now, and since it's their last big tour, I want to take my son for the first (and most likely only) time.   I've taken my wife twice, but never taken my son to a Rush show.   (he hasn't exactly gone without.   His first concert ever was front row with me at the PT FOABP show...and I also took him to see the Portland headlinging show of the BCSL DT tour)

Maybe...just maybe...I'll be able to pick up some decent after market tickets when I get my tax refund.   :mehlin

I'm requoting this as an announcment that I *AM* now in the market for tix to the Seattle show.    I don't want charity....well, maybe a little.    I have some money and I'm hoping for halfway decent seats for maybe a little less than stubhub prices?    Obviously hard tickets by owner would be preferred.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1481 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:17 PM »
Feeling a bit bummed.   I just can't afford tickets right now, and since it's their last big tour, I want to take my son for the first (and most likely only) time.   I've taken my wife twice, but never taken my son to a Rush show.   (he hasn't exactly gone without.   His first concert ever was front row with me at the PT FOABP show...and I also took him to see the Portland headlinging show of the BCSL DT tour)

Maybe...just maybe...I'll be able to pick up some decent after market tickets when I get my tax refund.   :mehlin

I'm requoting this as an announcment that I *AM* now in the market for tix to the Seattle show.    I don't want charity....well, maybe a little.    I have some money and I'm hoping for halfway decent seats for maybe a little less than stubhub prices?    Obviously hard tickets by owner would be preferred.

I suspect if you show up at the box office on the day of the show you should get decent seats. If that's too much risk for you, wait until about three weeks before the show tickets should "mysteriously" appear then.

If they are going to be flipping songs in the set (and I like them) that's how I'm getting my extra tickets.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1482 on: April 29, 2015, 07:28:21 AM »
https://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-04-29/rush-neil-peart-tendonitis-tour-retirement

Alex Lifeson reveals drummer's chronic tendonitis contributed to "final tour" decision - and considers possibility of writing soundtracks with Geddy Lee.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1483 on: April 29, 2015, 07:58:16 AM »
Sh1t - The chances of them extending this tour into Europe just evaporated, then...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1484 on: May 02, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »
This news is about two decades old. He was wearing a brace during the Test For Echo tour.

Less than a week until I find out if I'm going to three shows or just sticking with the one. Although if they are alternating songs, I should probably make it two.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1485 on: May 05, 2015, 12:53:29 AM »
MASSIVE SETLIST SPOILERS: https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2015/05/04/4332/Rush-R40-Live-tour-VIP-package-merchandise-shipping-tourbook-contains-setlist-SPOILERS

(Note that those are only the songs with video projections)

I've never seen Rush live, so I'd be more than happy to hear those songs if they came to Europe, even if most of them are not that obscure. There'll most likely be more deep cuts and 70s stuff with no videos.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1486 on: May 05, 2015, 01:16:55 AM »
spoilers

I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE CAVED FUCK IF I KNEW JACOB'S LADDER WAS GOING TO BE THERE OH MY GOD I'M ANGRY AND HAPPY AND HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK THEY'RE PLAYING JACOB'S LADDER HOLY SHIT OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1487 on: May 05, 2015, 02:17:15 AM »
Wow.  :yarr

I'm actually more excited about Animate  - that's a stunning song I've never seen live.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:58:10 AM by The Curious Orange »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1488 on: May 05, 2015, 12:35:16 PM »
SPOILERS

Judging by the approximate song lengths, that's around 2 hours worth of songs right there, depending on how long those medleys near the end are.
I'm glad JL is its own piece apart from a medley, where they could have just as easily put it between TSOR and NS and made it a PEW medley, although doing TSOR/NS/CTTH is an odd medley, I'm excited to see how they put it all together.
Nice to see them acknowledging Hemispheres again and pairing it with Cygnus X-1, although I wonder if the latter will just be the instrumental Prologue once again, or if they'll do the 2nd half of the song at all.
The rest of the set list past the CA stuff is pretty typical singles/1st track choices, although I like the YYZ/Red Barchetta medley.
Looking at the tourbook scan, looks like Far Cry may end the 1st set, and OLV will open the 2nd, and Cygnus X-1 will close the 2nd set with 2112 being the encore (hopefully they throw in Discovery this time?!). There's a Fan Film/Montage during the intermission, and something called "Ask Al" before the encore, which sounds like Alex having more fun.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:44:34 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1489 on: May 05, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
Looks great.  A nice selection of classics and they've put in a lot of songs I haven't seen live yet (all the songs from CA, Roll the Bones, Animate, Hemispheres/Cygnus).  They're finally getting around to Jacob's Ladder which is awesome.  I see there's a huge selection of their earlier program music (both parts of Cygnus, Natural Science, The Camera Eye, 2112) -- this should be a great tour even if you only like their earlier, proggier stuff.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1490 on: May 07, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »
Definitely enough to sucker me into a second show and possibly a third.

I really didn't think they'd top the last tour, but it's looking like it could happen which saddens my wallet greatly.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1491 on: May 09, 2015, 02:41:10 PM »
Here's the first setlist of the tour, at your own risk:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2015/bok-center-tulsa-ok-33c8187d.html

Definitely interesting!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1492 on: May 09, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
Here's the first setlist of the tour, at your own risk:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2015/bok-center-tulsa-ok-33c8187d.html

Definitely interesting!

Already have an on-going SPOILER-RIFFIC thread over here - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43708.0

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1493 on: May 10, 2015, 09:03:39 AM »
Next up Nebraska.  It would be pretty sick if we could follow the tour online for the duration.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1494 on: May 12, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »
We've probably done this before, but what album is better, Vapor Trails or Snakes & Arrows?

Doing the track vs track comparison, which is easy since both have 13...

One Little Victory vs Far Cry - Not that overly crazy about either, but Far Cry wins

Ceiling Unlimited vs Armor and Sword - I like both a lot, but A&S just a little more

Ghost Rider vs Workin' Them Angels - Very, very close, but the driving nature of GR is a just a touch better than WTA's catchiness

Peaceable Kingdom vs The Larger Bowl - PK has some great moments, but is kind of uneven, and never seems to reach the greatness it could've; The Larger Bowl is highly enjoyable

The Stars Look Down vs Spindrift - Two of my least favorites from each album, I think The Stars... has higher highs (the cool chorus)

How It Is vs The Main Monkey Business - How It Is is a fun, catchy tune, but TMMB is just better

Vapor Trail vs The Way the Wind Blows - That driving riff in TWTWB still bothers me (it should have more balls), although I do like the song; Vapor Trail is just much better

Secret Touch vs Hope - Seems unfair to match these two, but it is what it is; Secret Touch is solid, but not great, while Hope was kind of disappointing to me

Earthshine vs Faithless - This ain't close

Sweet Miracle vs Bravest Face - Neither is this

Nocturne vs Good News First - I like GNF a lot, but not as much as Nocturne

Freeze vs MalNar - Freeze is my favorite song from either album

Out of the Cradle vs We Hold On - Out of the Cradle is better than many give it credit for being, while We Hold On is on that list of Rush songs that aren't bad, but just kind of there (The Color of Right, Neurotica, etc.)

Looks like VT has the 8-5 edge, surprisingly, but S&A is the easier listen from start to finish. Even the newer, better sounding versions of VT kind of give you ear fatigue.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1495 on: May 12, 2015, 06:07:01 PM »
I take VT any day. S&A is horrible, IMO. The only thing it has going for it is it's great sound. Songwise, I feel the band snoozed though the writing, tried to fit the music to the lyrics, and even ripped Black Sabbath for the main riff to The Main Monkey Business.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1496 on: May 12, 2015, 06:37:22 PM »
I absolutely love S&A, but I'm not really that into VT

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1497 on: May 12, 2015, 07:01:12 PM »
It's funny, up until the remix of VT, I would not have participated. I would have given Vapor Trails a grade of incomplete. I literally cannot listen to the old version all the way through and fairly judge anything thanks to that horrible sound.

One Little Victory vs Far Cry - Love both, but FC gets the slightest Edge.

Ceiling Unlimited vs Armor and Sword - Always found this and the next track on Snakes to be overrated, while I love both the competing VT tracks.

Ghost Rider vs Workin' Them Angels

Peaceable Kingdom vs The Larger Bowl - Wouldn't consider either high points on their albums, but The Larger Bowl gets the edge.

The Stars Look Down vs Spindrift - Draw

How It Is vs The Main Monkey Business - No question about it, the instrumentals on Snakes all rule.

Vapor Trail vs The Way the Wind Blows - Love the atmosphere of Vapor Trails. Wind is a good song, structurally great, but nothing really puts it over the top.

Secret Touch vs Hope - THE WAY OUT IS THE WAY IN. Seriously, did Steve Harris help write this in 1995? Perhaps that is what the Time Machine tour was hinting at. Hope is a beautiful short piece, that doesn't piss me off. ST meanwhile is easily the worst song on Vapor Trails.

Earthshine vs Faithless - Edge to VT.

Sweet Miracle vs Bravest Face - Another edge to VT.

Nocturne vs Good News First - Another slight edge to VT.

Freeze vs MalNar - Freeze is my favorite song from either album

Out of the Cradle vs We Hold On - Another close one, this one goes to Snakes.

6-6-1, even either way. I know the remix was a game changer, but this really makes me reassess where I hold these albums. I have noticed my initial ranking of Snakes was a little high, and this pretty much confirms that. Meanwhile VT, with the remix, got a nice pull out of the gutter.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: May 12, 2015, 11:39:49 PM »
After some listening and comparing (I have the remix of VT) my list looks like this:

Far Cry
Armor & Sword

Ghost Rider
Peaceable Kingdom

Spindrift
TMMB

Vapor Trail
Secret Touch
Earthshine

Bravest Face
Nocturne
Freeze

We Hold On

VT wins 7-6, but I still think Snakes is a stronger album because it's got more diversity and high points.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1499 on: May 13, 2015, 02:44:48 AM »
Ooh, good idea.

One little victory vs. Far cry - I love them both, but the latter one is just too catchy.

Ceiling unlimited vs. Armor and sword - Definitely Armor, my favorite song on Snakes and arrows.

Ghost rider vs. Workin' them angel - Ghost rider is a wonderful tune, while Angels ain't that memorable.

Peaceable kingdom vs. The Larger bowl - Kingdom is a great rocker, while Bowl ain't that memorable.

The Stars look down vs. Spindrift - Great songs, Spindrift gets the vote but it's close.

How it is vs. The Main monkey business - A catchy song against a slightly bland instrumental.

Vapor trail vs. The Way the wind blows - I never really got The Way, but Vapor trail is touching.

Secret touch vs. Hope - This isn't even a choice. Not to mention that I love the repeating line "The way out is the way in." But that's probably the Maiden fan in me.  :lol

Earthshine vs. Faithless - This was a bit close, but I ended up going with the lighter, happier tune.

Sweet miracle vs. Bravest face - The latter one grew on me immensely over the last few years.

Nocturne vs. Good news first - The latter one grew on me immensely over the last few years.

Freeze vs. Malignant narcissism - Neither is great, but Freeze is still pretty epic.

Out of the cradle vs. We hold on - Neither is a great closer, but the former is still a more solid song.

It's 8:5 for Vapor trails, which seems fair, I adore that album.  :heart But I'm gaining appreciation for S&A with time as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1500 on: May 13, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
Wow, this sounds interesting. I can't wait to hear it.
A Farewell To Kings World Radio Premiere
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=527591

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1501 on: May 13, 2015, 08:01:30 PM »
This might be a bit VT-sided as I absolutely LOVE the album, and it was new when I became a Rush fan, so I spun my original copy in my car and portable CD player a LOT that it is one of my few CDs in my collection that is really worn down and scratched from just over-use and travel.

One Little Victory vs Far Cry - OLV just ROCKS my socks off, it was a triumphant return to heavy and powerful Rush.

Ceiling Unlimited vs Armor and Sword - A&S takes the edge here, one of my favorite tracks off of S&A, even though CU is good.

Ghost Rider vs Workin' Them Angels - GR is very emotionally powerful for me, especially as I read through Neil's book of the same title around a time when I was going through some personal/emotional problems myself.

Peaceable Kingdom vs The Larger Bowl - Draw; I like both, but I can't really pick one over the other. I like PK a lot but TLB has a unique lyrical structure.

The Stars Look Down vs Spindrift - Another draw; again, I like bits of both so I can't really pick one.

How It Is vs The Main Monkey Business - The return of the instrumental! I learned this on drums in less than a week after the album's release and it's remained one of my favorite tracks off S&A ever since.

Vapor Trail vs The Way the Wind Blows - VT's quasi-title track has been on my "I hope they'll play it live someday" wish-list since the R30 tour, it just has some shining moments in it that I like more than TWTWB.

Secret Touch vs Hope - Kind of unfair, and while Alex's first solo studio track is pretty good, it doesn't stand up against one of the catchiest Rush songs on VT.

Earthshine vs Faithless - Earthshine's heavy guitars and tricky meter changes are Rush in a nutshell, and I love this song for it and more.

Sweet Miracle vs Bravest Face - The VT single that never got played live, and I always wish it had. It's short and...sweet.

Nocturne vs Good News First - Nocturne is another sleeper-hit on VT. Then again, the back-half of S&A isn't nearly as good as the front half, and it shows as 3 of the last 4 tracks have yet to be played live.

Freeze vs Malignant Narcissism  - As good as MalNar is, Freeze is one of the proggiest tunes on VT, and an all-time favorite of latter-day Rush. REALLY hope they play it some day...

Out of the Cradle vs We Hold On - Cradle is just a better closer, although I like the sentiment in WHO, Cradle is just as powerful of a closer as OLV is an opener.

VT - 10
S&A - 2
Draw - 1

Well, like I said, this would end up kind of lopsided in favor of VT, but what can I say? I love the album a lot. It was tough to think that Rush would release an album as good as it when S&A was about to come, and while I enjoy S&A, if I had to choose one of the two to live with for the rest of my life, it would be VT (albeit the Remix that came out in recent years, the original is a BIT over-cooked for my ears anymore, and the Remix just brings out some great stuff that is missed on the original).

-Marc.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: May 14, 2015, 03:56:01 AM »
I just found Yngwie Malmsteen's cover of Anthem. He surely made the song sound like his own, but it's pretty terrible... :puke: The additional solos are just annoying, the drums have no groove, and the song has lost all its dynamics.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1503 on: May 14, 2015, 05:22:56 AM »
One Little Victory - both great songs, but OLV just nabs it, a great return after a too long absence.
Ceiling Unlimited
Working Them Angels
Peaceable Kingdom - I love it, and I can't see why so many people don't
Spindrift
The Main Monkey Business
Vapor Trail
Secret Touch
Earthshine
Bravest Face
Good News First
Freeze
We Hold On

That's 7 from VT and 6 from S&A, which is odd, coz S&A is the better album - it's all down to where the tracks fall.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1504 on: May 14, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
Snakes & Arrows > Vapor Trails, all songs